Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Do people really read nothing but genre fiction? I'm reading Wheel Of Time but I'm also reading Plus by Joseph McElroy and I've read loads of literature - stuff by Calvino, Pynchon, DeLillo...

I'd like to recommend Niebla by Miguel de Unamuno and The Confessions of Zeno by Italo Svevo but I rarely visit TBB and don't know if anyone has read these or if everyone has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Talmonis posted:

Really, aside from TBB and other such gathering places of readers, it's hard to determine what's worth reading outside of "genre" fiction, as everything else in a bookstore or god forbid the supermarket is just "Fiction". From Nora Robets schlock to Tom Clancy's military fetishism and everything in between. At least with genre fiction, you have a somewhat decent idea of what sort of book topics you'll find in that area. That's to say nothing of the quality of said books, just the means of narrowing down the search.

This makes a lot of sense. If I pick up a fantasy book I can be relatively certain I'm getting a Tolkien-esque heroes journey but " Fiction"is both the Scarlet letter and the tropic of cancer.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Pessimisten posted:

That's Swedish grammar finding it's way in to my English writing. Where English splits almost all words Swedish tends to write a lot of words connected as single word. In my head "no one" is spoken as single word and therefore i make mistakes like that. Although my writing is generally bad and sloppy.

Edit

I'll engage in this flawed thread in a more productive way from now on, since the line of discussion i was on seems to be about as dead as most of the authors discussed here.

If i enjoyed Steinbecks work, whats a natural follow up?

Maybe Dos Passos' U.S.A. Trilogy?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Iamblikhos posted:

"If on a winter's night a traveler" or "The Baron in the Trees" perhaps?

Cosmicomics might also be a good starting point; the short stories in there really capture his style.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
If people are looking for something modern and reminiscent of Calvino, you could do worse than read "The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards" by Kristopher Jansma.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mr. Squishy posted:

Does anyone have recs for what, if anything, is good by Joeseph McElroy, Richard Powers, Cynthia Ozick and Maureen Howard.

McElroy: Plus, Women and Men. Good luck finding cheap copies though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I have both of the McElroy books from my library on an indefinite checkout. One day I might actually read them.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Blind Sally posted:

In my experience that only remains true if someone else doesn't request that specific book.

This is true in my case. Fortunately, McElroy isn't really a hot commodity and they have two copies of the books.
When I was in college, I had JR checked out for two years.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

pixelbaron posted:

The reason I am reading this cookie cutter fantasy series for the third time in two years is because I am training myself up to fully appreciate Charles Dickens, you see.

Yeah but one of those was written with purple prose because the author was paid by the word and the other is generic fantasy.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

All Nines posted:

For what it's worth, I feel like I've been doing most of the complaining about him; most of the talk about him in this thread seems to be favorable, and I'm pretty hard to please in general. On the other hand, none of the samples I've seen in reviews of his work have endeared him to me any more than his public statements. Though it doesn't help that even when he's translating another writer he can't help observing that he and this writer are both angry people and using those essays as springboards for more ranting.

Wait, you've been doing the most complaining about him and all you've read of his work are samples in reviews?

goon.txt

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Can't talk about absurdist theater without mentioning Edward Albee and Eugene Ionesco. I'd recommend Zoo Story and The Bald Soprano.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

^read Disgrace a few years back and thought it was real good, although, of course, depressing. Minimalist style can be so great when done well. Makes me want to dive back into some Carver.

Speaking of which, I'm about 2/3 of the way through Moby-Dick and am looking forward to something different after. Specifically, a few shorter books, around 200 pages or fewer. Anyone have any recommendations? On my list right now are The Death of Ivan Ilyich (Tolstoy), Child of God (McCarthy), Huck Finn (Twain), and Cathedral (Carver). I'm open to more, as I'm not dead-set on any of these. Thanks for any suggestions.

If you haven't read Huck Finn before I would go for that first. It ranks alongside Moby Dick in terms of important American literature and it's short and funny.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Speaking as someone who's read Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead, they're crap. Simplistic writing with boring characters and it's just a vehicle for her to shove her political views down your throat. I've heard one writer that she tried to model herself after was Victor Hugo and she managed to pick up all the wrong lessons from his work - her didactic rants add little to the story and her large casts of characters are largely indistinguishable window dressing that exist around the main boring schmoes.

The one thing that I liked about Atlas Shrugged was that the family dynamic for the non Galt main guy mirrored Arrested Development and I could imagine that while I read.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Ernest Hemingway is the poor man's Stephanie Meyer. Are we done with this now?

I just read We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas. It's pretty good, a portrait of a family across three generations (although it's really focused on the middle one) as they struggle with social position and illness. Reads like Franzen without all the "I'm smart, look at me" stuff he does.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

I would never unleash those slings and arrows of outrageous fortune upon them

It would be an infinite jest though if he memorized all those words, words, words.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

JackKnight posted:

I did not make any assumptions about the relative IQ between a person speaking simply and a person speaking in sesquipedalian sentences. A person's facility of diction taken by itself has naught to do with his cleverness, though relatively speaking one could make the reasonable inference that a person using such language could be a clever person, because clever people often need a more concise vocabulary to express their concepts and ideas in a manner that precisely represents their thoughts to their satisfaction.

The full knowledge of the English language involves the complete understanding of the rules that govern it, the words that comprise it, and the art by which it is represented. The full potential is something different, and involves the study and practice of different writing forms (i.e. poetry, books, etc) in addition to knowing it. In my experience most people don't know even a small percentage of these things, hence my original statement. Of course I am biased by my surroundings, upbringing, job, etc, so what I say may not ring as true to you as much as it does to me, but then if that is the case, you need to control for your own surroundings.

Someone said Hamlet probably wasn't a good pick to memorize completely, so I think I shall take their suggestion and find some of the good soliloquies and memorize those. My original intent by memorizing something like this was to have a foundation for quotes like the one I heard a long time ago, but can't recall from whence it originated or its original wording. The gist of it is as follows:

"Pain fills whatever void exists inside oneself regardless of its intensity relative to another person's pain. Therefore each person's suffering is utter and complete."

This quote is quite powerful and can relate to many instances in life where my nature would tend to be judgmental of other people (I am INTJ personality).

I will endeavor handily to express myself in the most concise manner, eschewing rodomontade and the blusterous braggadocio of a twiddler or twaddler:

Communication isn't about vocabulary, it's about making sure the other person understands what you're saying. Speak to an audience that exists and not your imaginary scholars tut-tutting from their learned thrones.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

jonnykungfu posted:

My second request is for some contemporary writers (preferably the last 5-10 years) that are experimental (or at least fun), engaging and have at least some humor (or soul-crushing bleakness) to their books

Michael Chabon? I'm not sure how people feel about his works but he's one of my favorite authors. Haruki Murakami is also pretty good and experimental. I'd recommend Kavalier and Clay and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Guy A. Person posted:

Non-fiction is really cool, I have been trying to read more this year. Since I am a big dumb baby who needs facts spoon fed in the form of easily digestible narratives, here are some of the authors I have read multiple books from and liked:

Jared Diamond
Dava Sobel
Bill Bryson
Michael Lewis

Bill Bryson is great. Life and times of the thunderbolt kid is one of the few books I can recommend to people who rarely read.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

What's this threads thoughts on Swamplandia? I've got it sitting at work and sort of want to buy it cause the cover looks cool.

I read about three quarters of the way through it before stopping because I thought it was needlessly brutal. There was cool imagery but I don't think the story was that great.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mallamp posted:

Make it "Spaceship has epiphany about loneliness" instead and you'll get goon support and ebook publishing deal within 2 weeks

That's just Plus by Joseph McElroy

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My high school performed Shakespeare pretty exclusively so I got to be in Macbeth, Twelfth Night and Midsummer Night's Dream. Much better experiences than reading Hamlet and Othello but performing the others definitely helped me get those two more.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I finished Even Cowgirls Get the Blues a few days ago and I didn't really like it. A lot of it was interesting and I enjoyed the central narrative but it seemed to me that the author was infatuated with himself and found himself endlessly clever which really took away from my enjoyment of the novel.

After that I started Bleeding Edge and I'm about halfway through. It seems somewhat like a second draft of Inherent Vice which isn't a terrible thing - I'm impressed at how much Pynchon gets about the era he's writing about, especially stuff like the vending machine only Pokemon cards. One minor quibble - he mentions Final Fantasy X which came out right around the period he's writing about in Japan but not in the US so I assume he's referring to the Japanese release.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
It seems like I was being somewhat needlessly pedantic - I really appreciate how Bleeding Edge is acting as a skeleton key for the way Pynchon normally uses references in his work because I actually understand the ones in Bleeding Edge without a companion book.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

Dragon Ball Z is not garbage.

Dragon Ball is much better in terms of having a story that's not just "gotta be the strongest punchman" but probably because the earliest part borrows rather liberally from Journey to the West.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Now someone can write a book with him in it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
What are some good books for me to read if my favorite authors are Chabon, Pynchon, Franzen and similar?

I'd be open to stuff that isn't written by straight white males as well.

Also, I have the Black Snow because Mel Mudkipper mentioned it at one point so I should probably read that next.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

Those are some of my favorites as well.

To avoid SWM, try Zadie Smith. Her first book was published when she was like 24 or 26 and was a huge hit. White Teeth. It isn't perfect, but you'll almost certainly love many parts of it.
David Foster Wallace, of course.
For a less literary but really fun writer, look into Nick Harkaway's Gone Away World. Not really appropriate for this thread, but its stylistically similar to Pynchon's writing.
If you like Franzen, especially Corrections and Freedom, you need to read Middlesex. That book blows Franzen's family sagas out of the water.
The Secret History by Donna Tart comes to mind. I think that fits into those guys you listed.

I've read Infinite Jest, The Broom of the System, Consider the Lobster, Middlesex, and The Marriage Plot and liked all of them.
I've been meaning to read White Teeth for years and have had Donna Tart recommended a ton but was always hesitant for some reason I can't pin down...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am Radar
Carry the One
The Goldfinch
The Art of Fielding

Love The Art of Fielding, I'll check out the others.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You might also like "& Sons"

I've read The Normals, I'll add that to the list.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mallamp posted:

Chabon -> Jonathan Lethem, Neal Stephenson
Pynchon -> William Gaddis, DFW
Franzen -> John Updike, Tom Wolfe

Thanks, I'll pull Snow Crash and The Fortress of Solitude; I've also been meaning to read the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

Read half of the Recognitions before I ducked out, I'll probably pick it up again in the future. I think I've read all of the better books by Updike - Garp, Owen Meany, Cider House and Hotel New Hampshire.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sir John Feelgood posted:

That's John Irving.

Ah. Well, I've read Updike's Falconer and a bunch of his story stories, like the enormous radio.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Zesty Mordant posted:

is this a game? Enormous radio is Cheever.

Yeah, I'm just being dumb. I've read a few of Updike's novels but I wasn't a huge fan. It might be because I read them in high-school and couldn't really connect with a restless Rabbit.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Finished The Black Snow. It's a wonderfully written book. Captures perfectly the Irish feeling of always looking backwards instead of forwards.

"[The] smoke mapped the wind's movement so that the shape of it became visible, a calligraphy of violence that rewrote itself a capacity endless for its own pleasure."

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Don't read the "sequel", it's definitely not something that was ever supposed to be published.

I've almost finished Between the World and Me and I don't think I understand what is meant by white in the book. Is it supposed to be the national white zeitgeist - the spirit that looks at problems and addresses them from a privileged position where they can only be seen as part of a universal problem and not something inflicted?

It's a good book but incredibly depressing. I'm Jewish and my family was only given the position of white in the previous generation - I don't find myself at the severe end of the aggressor but I do feel like I could be doing more.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Mel makes some pretty good recommendations but his frank nature is easy to take as trolling.

I've been reading through the books everybody recommend - The Gone Away World was pretty good and I got my brother a copy of it for his birthday, The Secret History was incredible and I'm now going to read all of Donna Tartt's novels and Carry the One was a great read, it really reminded me of Franzen. I'm currently reading I Am Radar and it reminds me a lot of Chabon's style.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
A friend's brother-in-law is an addict and the portrayal seems very true to what he's told me.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The key to understanding Pynchon is watching Marx brothers movies and doing :catdrugs:.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kraps posted:

Dresden Files is fine!

Not really.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what is Dresden Files

is it alt-wwii fiction

you mother fuckers it is alt-wwii fiction isnt it

Yeah man alt-wwii fiction is only good if somebody is wearing a pig suit and they fight with pies in airplanes

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what on earth are you talking about

Gravity's Rainbow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
David Mitchell seems like a really great technical writer but Cloud Atlas and The Bone Clocks were way too sterile for me.