Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

yeah i'd love a bureaucracy job frankly, just typing away in excel in a cubicle all day. it's just that my resume gets worse the more time goes on, and i don't get any callbacks. i spent all 2017 applying for city of austin, the teacher retirement system, and UT, but just zero results. i know it's poison to do so but it's hard not to just give up

There are also state agency jobs, which have fairly good insurance and a pension system. (The pension eligibility/benefits for newer employees have been watered down, though.) Salary depends a lot on the position. The legislature has not been generous in terms of keeping salaries in line with the cost of living, or competitive with the private sector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

+22577 Mail ballots received. Greater than the total number of mail ballots cast in 2016 (20090).

Here's 2016 day by day if you want to follow along: https://countyclerk.traviscountytx.gov/images/pre/2016.11.08_Early_Voting/2016.11.04_G16_Daily_Totals.pdf

Based on the 2016 pattern for Travis County, there's a big dropoff in the number of voters on Saturday and Sunday. I'll probably wait until then.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
If you haven't early-voted already, today seems like a good day. There was no line at my nearest polling place this morning.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
In Austin we recently changed to the touchscreen>print ballot>scanner system. One thing that slightly bugs me, when I went to insert the printed ballot into the scanner unit, it wasn't obvious to me what orientation to use (face up or down? Which end first? etc.) I assume the machine is smart enough to either a) deal with it no matter which way it's put in, or b) clearly alert the voter if it's inserted wrong and can't be scanned. Or maybe the thing just collects the ballots and they are scanned at some other location, I dunno.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Where the gently caress is this growth in Trump voters coming from? There can't be that many people looking at the last four years and saying "yeah you convinced me give me more."

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
If we're talking about gimmick candidates with name recognition, what about that Spurs coach, Popovich?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I've been wondering about this too. Mine expired after October. Does my registration restart when I register again, or from the date in which it expired?

It seems to be based on when your registration last expired. Regardless of when you register again, your new registration sticker will expire in October 2021.

Source:
https://www.fox7austin.com/news/governor-abbott-extends-online-vehicle-registration-renewal-date

One other annoying thing, if your registration lapses by more than 9 months, you won't be able to get your new registration online--you'll have to do it in person.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
What if this is a secret plan for Texas to declare independence and appoint Trump as god-king of the Second Texas Republic?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Abbott released his seven priority areas today - literally none of them are COVID-19.

https://twitter.com/EngelsAngle/status/1349862732754014214?s=20

Talkin' poo poo about "overreach" when Trump literally just had the Capitol sacked in an effort to stay in power and usurp our constitutional form of government

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

[sassy texas] if you don't like me at my ice storm driving you don't deserve me at my 85mph toll road driving

In Texas you can do both at the same time!

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I don't really get why the stores got cleaned out of food. Do people need to eat more when the power or water is out? I'm sure people lost a lot of refrigerated food that went bad, but still...

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

hatty posted:

Was Ann Richards bad or was she too good and was punished by being a one termer.

Not great, but better than what came after.

Also consider that even in 1990, Richards winning was probably only possible because her dumbass Republican opponent Clayton Williams made a crass joke about rape, and then bragged about not paying taxes. I guess back then there were still some consequences for that kind of thing.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Are there any places left that have a "small/medium size affordable city but with offbeat culture and interesting-people" vibe that Austin had in the early or mid '90s? Preferably someplace with decent weather, and where you can buy a livable house for $250k?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Back Hack posted:

Part of the reason, on top of many many of them, we don’t get any tourism despite the council spending a lot of money encouraging it. We have nothing worth seeing, and never will.

You've got the Astrodome, Astroworld, the Houston Texans, Astros, and Rockets, Houston Cougars football and basketball, Houston Space Center, Moody Gardens, a historic battleship, beautiful beaches at Galveston, a great climate, clean air, scenic vistas, some great food.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Eregos posted:

Posting here because the Texas thread moves slower, allows discussion, and it relates to flipping Texas anyways.
I used to avoid thinking about demographic cohorts b/c boring, but today the poli-sci nerd in me became fascinated. Not much discussion of Gen Beta yet in culture, but I extrapolated them based on 16 year cohorts.

Baby Boomers: 1946-1964
Gen X: 1965-1980
Millennials: 1981-1996
Gen Z: 1997-2012
Gen Alpha: 2013-2028
Gen Beta: 2029-2044
Gen Gamma: 2045-2060
Gen Delta: 2061-2076

<snipped>

If the demographic change thesis did play out, how long would it take? My hunch is, the Republicans will successfully steal and sabotage progress in the 2020’s the same way they did the 2010’s; through obstruction, gerrymandering, and suppression. It’s already begun. The House is practically guaranteed GOP in 2022. I don’t see the rest of Gen-Z coming in strongly Democratic enough to stop that, when combined with turnout dropping off and inevitable policy disappointments. So, I’m guessing breaking the Republicans’ structural hold on power would take a Millennial, Gen-Z, Gen-Alpha super-alliance. And when’s the soonest that could happen? 2032 presidential election. 2036 probably likelier. Texas itself could still flip late in the 2020's. If the thesis did play out, the Republicans could be toast for much of the 2030s. There could be a second new deal, real structural and economic reforms, and proper legislating that hasn’t happened for a sustained period since the early 90’s when I was an infant. Though none of us knows what Gen-alpha will do in 12+ years, we can only say that older Gen-Z trended Democratic in 2018 & 2020. I bet Millennials reading this post won’t find this painfully long wait quite as hard to accept as Gen-Z. In 2008, if someone had told me the Republicans would steal the 2010’s I’d have taken it hard. But I’d rather have hope that seems plausible than risk clinging to a more unrealistic dream.

How many posters here are Gen-Z? How many on SA? I realize I’ve been chatting with them a long time now without even realizing it. I don’t have any Gen-Z friends yet, the threshold of Gen-Z being old enough to have interesting political views was crossed a couple years back but I just didn’t really think about until recently. I have some questions for Gen-Z, pota hemplo: What was common core like? How bad? Arne Duncan was my education secretary for like 3 months as I finished highschool, not long enough for me to deal with it. Even after reading a bunch about I still don’t feel I understand how it went so wrong. The Democratic party has to do better because they’re the only real chance the U.S. has of being governable in my adult lifetime.

Also, are there, like, ANY Gen-X SA posters? I always thought of it as starting with older millennials.

I think there are quite a few Gen X goons. Me, for one, but I don't post a lot.

And it's nicely optimistic of you to think we'll still be having legitimate elections in the 2030s, especially in Texas.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

spaced ninja posted:

It looks like a tire had a blow out.

Yeah that brisket looks terrible. Pass.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

now we need California to pass a boycott of boycott boycotters

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1382765597591629824?s=20

What constitutes a "boycott"? Does Tesla count? What if a major player like Chevron or Exxon pledges to go 100% renewable, is it "boycotting" itself?

So loving stupid.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 16, 2021

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Roumba posted:

You can fit so many quarter-acre lots into this baby! *slaps sagging embankment of flood plain reservior*

Quarter-acre lots? They won't be nearly so generous. Most tract builders are cramming homes together on tiny 1/6 acre or smaller lots that are like 50 feet wide.

(Sorry, density people, but if I'm living in the suburbs, I at least want a little distance between me and the house next door).

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Am I interpreting these budget documents correctly? It looks to me like DPS troopers are getting big raises (and are already being paid above the normal salary classification schedule). (See p. 9)
https://www.lbb.state.tx.us/Documents/Appropriations_Bills/87/Adopted_Decision_Documents/Article09%20Issue%20Docket%2087R%205-19-2021.pdf

Meanwhile all other state employees aren't getting poo poo for raises, as has been the case for most budget sessions since 1994. It's crystal clear that the Powers that Be are not interested in keeping a motivated, well-qualified, and stable workforce within the public sector. They're doing a good job making sure that doesn't happen.

This state gives zero fucks about anything except brutalizing criminals (and "suspected" criminals...meaning everyone who's not a WASP) and making rich assholes even richer. Oh, plus the usual bullshit of enforcing some twisted, performative view of Christianity on everyone.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 21, 2021

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Bizarro Watt posted:

Especially with regards to regulatory agencies. For example, TCEQ routinely advertises PhD-level scientific positions with salaries in the $45-55k range (Keep in mind these positions are largely in Austin), and now GOP state legislators are probably going to start pushing harder for retirement "reform" for state employees.

In some positions, TCEQ can't even compete with other state agencies. TxDOT pays quite a bit more in the Engineering-type job classifications than TCEQ. (Not that I'm saying TxDOT staff are overpaid).

I have the strong impression that they're about to kill the traditional pension system for new hires, but I don't know if it's actually passed yet:
https://www.pionline.com/legislation/texas-senate-bill-would-close-state-pension-plan-new-employees

Anyone considering a long-term career in state government better have an independent source of wealth/income.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
So I guess this thing is still very much alive, and has some sweet candy inside. Get used to no Democrat ever being allowed to win an election.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1398709369391419395?s=20

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
University of Trump at Austin

Rename Lake Travis as Lake Trump

Make Austin a state-run Capitol District with Administrator Rudy Giuliani in charge

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Is this going to be the end of DACA?

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/16/new-article-1626468650daca-texas-judge/

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Jiro posted:

Same, and also hearing reports of people getting main strain AND Delta variant at the same time sorta freaks me out. Gonna just get a diver's helmet with an oxygen hose attached using a ton of filters to head to HEB next time.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
H2S is very nasty lethal poo poo and I can't even imagine what kind of idiot doesn't know that. Oh, Briscoe Cain is that kind of idiot.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I rarely go anywhere so I have almost no brushes with celebrity, but I did see Ann Richards at the Dobie Theater sometime around 1992.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
If we could find a picture of Greg Abbott eating chili with beans in it, we could flip Texas blue.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Sab0921 posted:

I feel like most SA posters do get that only thing really matters is material conditions but don't get that material conditions are good in Texas. People have jobs, make money, can afford to buy homes in nice suburbs with good schools, and every major company in the universe wants to relocate here because Texas is tax haven.

Lots of people have jobs that don't pay enough to even cover rent on a 1-bedroom in Austin (after considering other essential living expenses). Not to mention that most public employees (teachers, city/county/state, etc.) are probably not able to buy homes in "nice suburbs with good schools" unless they have a spouse working professionally in the private sector, or an independent source of income, or they bought their home 10+ years ago before the explosion in housing costs.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

radical meme posted:

Lol, this probably has nothing to do sky rocketing costs and bidding wars for limited availability:

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/growth/article262123032.html#storylink=cpy

How the gently caress is this even legal

Houses are for people, to live in them

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

wolfs posted:

hey uh
any of you goons get a sense of what kind of perimeter fencing SB1588 has resulted in? https://www.fsresidential.com/texas/news-events/articles/13-ways-sb-1588-affects-your-texas-hoa/

For instance, a perimeter “security” fence would conceivably be as tall as a regular backyard fence, right? And could enclose your front lawn?
My HOA complained about me leaving my lawnmower in front of the house when it was over 100 the other day and if they could just… not see my lawn ever again, that would be great.

I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice...but the bill says that the HOA can still regulate the "the type of fencing." So they might conceivably require a type of fence that allows visibility, like a chain link fence or spaced metal bar fencing.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Today, local police apprehended a fleeing robbery suspect after a brief car chase. Officer Swanson credited the successful apprehension to the high performance of his police cruiser, fueled by Chevron Supreme Gasoline with Techron(R).

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I saw this burst of new posts today and hoped that Greg Abbott or Paxton or Patrick/Goeb got caught on tape having gay sex with each other while sacrificing orphan children from CPS to Lord Baphomet while also on a conference call with ERCOT fixing power prices for this winter.

But no, it's tacos.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Doom Rooster posted:

In no particular order, 10 states I’d rather live in than Texas:

Colorado
NY ----------------------------|
Massachusetts --------| I'm told these 4 are hellholes with brutal taxes, entrepreneur-crushing regulations, and high housing costs. Also, 3 of these are cold/snow states
Connecticut --------------|
California ------------------|
Oregon----- militia nutjobs, no good cities except Portland, where it rains all the time
Washington --- rains all the time
North Carolina--red state hell
Maine --cold/snow/Stephen King monsters
Vermont -- cold/snow

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Can we take polling places out of churches? To "protect" them?

Edit: also, senior centers. Gotta protect our elderly.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 22, 2023

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
If a state agency wants to pass an administrative rule, they have to publish a preamble explaining the purpose and potential consequences, including a fiscal note, and a publish a response to all comments in writing. How come legislators can file and pass bills with so little background information and basically no accountability to the public?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Both versions of the two-year spending plans include significant pay raises for state employees. As we’ve stated before, the basic pay raises are a 5 percent raise with a $3000 minimum annual increase for both years of the next biennium. TPEA feels confident the pay raises will continue to move along through the process. However, nothing is set until the Governor signs the bill which is slated to happen in June. Once signed, the first pay raise will go into effect in July of this year, and the next one will happen in September of 2024.

not bad

A total of 10% sounds good because it's much more than state employees have gotten in ages... but it's still not nearly enough to offset the many sessions where state employees got zilch. It's like giving a guy who's been on a bread and water diet for 20 years one Big Mac.

It would also be nice if state employees got a retirement adjustment but that doesn't seem to have any traction.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Why isn't there some kind of legal requirement that legislative actions (bills) and executive actions (including vetos) be based on some kind of clearly stated, reasoned justification. "I'm blowing this thing up because something else happened that I don't like" is not a reasoned justification to do anything. It's barely one step removed (if that) from terrorism.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Who do you guys think could be a strong Democratic candidate for any statewide office in Texas?

I think the only possibility would be some kind of football hero, like if Troy Aikman was a Democrat (and I don't think he is). What do we know about Tony Romo or Jason Witten?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Government should do my laundry.

We got a lot fuckin closer tonight, where are the nostradamii at

What happens if we cross the streams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

fully convicted, pardoned on Jan 20th, 2025, confirmed as US attorney general on Jan 21st

God dammit now this is going to actually happen, I know it.