Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What percentage of Hispanic Texans are registered to vote, and vote? And how does this break down between the different cities and regions? Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

I wonder if Julian Castro is aiming for VP? San Antonio seems to be doing ok as far as I can tell from staying here maybe he can use that.

The HUD appointment pretty much has to be to bolster Castro's political profile and resume from "appealing mayor of a city that is second or third tier in size", aside from him possibly being really good for the post.

From there he can either run for statewide office in Texas, or elsewhere, or perhaps angle straight for a national ticket spot as a VP candidate and bypass the problematic issue of trying to win statewide in Texas as a Democrat.

HorseRenoir posted:

A big problem is that most registered Hispanics in Texans don't actually vote. I don't know what percent is actually registered, but only 39% of eligible Hispanics in Texas actually voted in 2012.

So what would it take to awaken the sleeping El Paso giant? A well run and well supported Julian Castro Senate or Governor run?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article/Texas-Gov-Abbott-responds-to-Jade-Helm-15-6229453.php

quote:

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday asked the State Guard to monitor a U.S. military training exercise dubbed "Jade Helm 15" amid Internet-fueled suspicions that the war simulation is really a hostile military takeover.

The request comes a day after more than 200 people packed a meeting in rural Bastrop County and questioned a U.S. Army commander about whether the government was planning to confiscate guns or implement martial law. Bastrop County Judge Paul Pape said "conspiracy theorists" and "fear mongers" had been in a frenzy.

Pape thanked Abbott for the letter to the Texas State Guard, which he believed helped emphasize the benefit of the military training rather than further fuel theorists.

"It's a sad when people's greatest fear is their own government," Pape said. "Think about the ramification of that. If Americans go to sleep at night worrying whether their own government is going to sell them out before morning, it'd be hard to sleep."

Suspicions about Jade Helm intensified on some conservative websites and social media after a map labeled Texas, Utah and parts of California as "hostile" for the purposes of the three-month training exercise that begins in July. Such war simulations aren't unusual, though the Army has acknowledged that the size and scope of Jade Helm makes it unique.

Texas and six other states are hosting the exercises on public and private lands. The Army says the terrain and topography in the areas selected are ideal to replicate foreign combat zones.

No other governor had so publicly addressed the training exercise.

"It is important that Texans know their safety, constitutional rights, private property rights and civil liberties will not be infringed," Abbott wrote. "By monitoring the Operation on a continual basis, the State Guard will facilitate communications between my office and the commanders of the Operation to ensure that adequate measures are in place to protect Texans."

U.S. Army Lt. Col. Mark Lastoria told the crowd in Bastrop on Monday that the exercise will involve 1,200 soldiers and all four branches of the military, according to the Austin American-Statesman. He said people with a "personal agenda" about the exercise had been spreading misinformation.

Lastoria spoke for two hours, but some left the meeting still unconvinced.

Pape told The Associated Press that some came from as far as Houston and Dallas to attend the meeting. He said the county could reap as much as $150,000 in economic activity from the exercise, which in Bastrop is set to include 60 soldiers, two Humvees and a helicopter.

Bastrop County is home to Camp Swift, the largest base for the Texas National Guard, and Pape said most people likely won't even notice.

"There's been a lot of dust thrown in the air, a lot of haze," Pape said. "Those who wanted to raise concerns on the one hand succeeded. They've raised a lot of attention about this. But the fact is the message is clear: Jade Helm is a well-designed and a well-constructed training operation."

___

Associated Press Writer Eva Ruth Moravec contributed to this report.

Abbott won his election easily didn't he? He's the incumbent GOP governor of Texas. His reelection is assured, any political realignment in the state that could endanger that is many years off from what I can see from inside Texas, this state just likes being Republican too drat much right now.

Why does he feel the need to pander to the extreme yahoos like this? If election time was near and a wingnut Tea Party challenger was primarying him, okay. But why?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I do have to say, the "Miss me" shirt combined with the woman's dopey face does cause a certain level of annoyance.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The Astros were up big going into the 8th inning of their playoff game today and would have clinched the series if they'd won and gone on to the American League Championship Series. After this tweet, they had a monstrous 8th inning where they gave up their big lead and wound up behind and eventually lost the game, now they have to play a final and deciding game in Kansas City where they could be eliminated if they lose.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So apparently there's a fresh new attack on Planned Parenthood by the state of Texas, trying to deny them funding based on the bullshit videos? Is this straight from the governor or some ambitious up and comer trying to ride the wave and make a name for themselves?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/10/19/texas-cancels-contracts-with-planned-parenthood/

Is Texas going to become increasingly right wing every year until something breaks? With the elected representatives moving in the direction of Cruz, Gohmert, and Abbott etc. I don't see any signs of it letting up in the near future.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Those of you who have lived in TX a long time, what do you think the endpoint of the wing-nut-ization of Texas politics is? IS there one?

In recent years it's gone from Rick Perry and KayBay to Abbott, Patrick, and Ted Cruz. It seems there is no end in sight. Will it take some huge collapse of the economy for a large portion of Texans to no longer revel in their identity as right wing trogs? Will the majority actually get sick of this at some point?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm registered to vote but not entirely sure where my voter reg card is. Will my driver's license suffice?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What are you all hearing around Texas as far as sentiment for the Presidential candidates? Any friends and neighbors who want to Make America Great Again?

A lot of rabid Cruz fans?

I've heard some negative sentiments expressed against Cruz by some very conservative people which surprised me.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So I moved and in changing address I had to update my voter registration.

In filling out the voter registration change of address it required me to state Dem/Rep/Indep/Other for the first time that I can ever remember. Is it just me or is this a new thing? I don't recall even having the option to register as with a party in the past, you only had to declare which primary you were voting in if you were voting in one.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wikkheiser posted:

Texas GOPers are really their own worst enemies given the organizational dysfunction of the TDP. Demographics help but won't automatically translate into people showing up and voting without a concerted effort to turn them out, or barring that, the Republicans completely blowing it and doing something crazy, like nominating an explicitly anti-Mexican racist ... oh poo poo.

They need to purge the Sid Millers, Dan Patricks and Ted Cruzes from the party or they're going to be in trouble. I think they'll muddle through for awhile, but eventually it will catch up to them and I will live to see it.

Related: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/11/04/the-brief/

Yeah. I'm struck how the statewide office holders seem to get more and more wingnutty every election and I'm not at all convinced the state as a whole is moving in that direction. Feels like something's gotta give at some point.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Good boy, Ted! That's a GOOD boy! The Eye of Sauron will surely turn its baleful gaze away from you and forget your opposition during the primary!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

UT is taking down the rest of its confederate statues, apparently tonight.

https://twitter.com/marymhuber/status/899482486635466753

Yesss

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Any U.S. Congressional seats looking like potential pickups for Dems next year? Are there candidates?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

pr0p posted:

Does Beto statistically have a chance? Ted Cruz seems like this giant of the GOP despite being a junior senator who loves to impede the government in any way. I'm in his district.... my lesbian neighbor put out a sign for a more conservative local candidate. I don't understand this county.

I think if there was a big enough Dem wave and Beto were close enough he could potentially upset Cruz if were close-ish going into November and the GOP kind of got taken by surprise. I think it's a very long shot though.

It is true that Cruz tried really hard to make himself the name brand of the GOP right wing, but Trump crushing him in the primaries and becoming President really has hosed that up so I'm not sure where he really stands with the GOP right now.

I can tell you where I live it's overwhelmingly right wingers, and even though everyone will probably vote for Cruz, he really isn't well liked and even a lot of rabid right wingers see him as a posturing phony piece of self aggrandizing poo poo. So he has a bit of Hillary type of problem where even some on his team who will vote for him have some personal antipathy or at least indifference/contempt towards him and this could affect his turnout in a close election.

But, being Texas, he'll probably win by 8-10, sigh.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Why have the Castro twins never aimed towards statewide office? A run for President out of a Cabinet post is considered more plausible? (Sadly it probably is)

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TropicalCoke posted:

Yeah, if they lose a race then they lose pretty much all momentum and support they've had. Kind of annoying, and we'll probably see Joaquin sit in his Congressional seat for at least 10 more years.

So they're the political equivalent of a Deadpool action figure in its original packaging?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Didn't George P. Bush wait until after JEB! withdrew from the race to endorse Cheeto?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Well it's now all that anyone who doesn't know of him will ever want to know of him. It may not have been his entire character, but because he couldn't keep mouth shut, no one knows or really will care to know what other potentially fine features he may or may not have. They just know the rancid core of xenophobia and racism at his core.

Yeah, no one put a gun to this guy's head and made him seek out some minority valedictorian's Twitter to post his racist poo poo on, and apparently he's done to more than one minority student. So gently caress the hell out of him.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/997481601922629633

Santa Fe HS near Galveston. It's over, and remember to treat everything you hear reported over the next 24 hours skeptically.

https://twitter.com/ScottMcGrew/status/997484633695469570

Good god

How broken does your brain have to be not only to head over to a school shooting situation that may not be over, brandishing a gun, but that the first thing you think when you hear about a mass school shooting is “dammit they gonna try to grab ma gunz again” rather than be concerned and horrified?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't know about you guys but even in my super red county, I don't get the impression that many of the GOP voters actually like Ted Cruz very much. Even though they will still vote for him, my impression is that many of them see him as the slimy opportunistic politician that he is, and I've heard many comments to that effect, even among people who are super right wing and obviously GOP voters.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Our Brave Land Commissioner doesn’t support this, but also it’s the Democrats’ fault

https://twitter.com/by_jmiller/status/1007686570059673600?s=21

A regular Profile In Courage, right there.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Beto is the hardest workin' man in show biz.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

The yard signs definitely don't mean Beto's going to win, but he's got as much buzz as I've seen from any Texas dem since Wendy Davis - and he didn't need to do a big showy filibuster to get it.

Did Wendy Davis do anything remotely like the retail politics roadshow Beto has been doing?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No, and that was a big part of her problem. The other was her campaigning as a centrist.

She was always going to lose, but she lost way worse than she had to.

Yeah I seem to remember it as: made a huge splash with filibuster, then total milquetoast campaign messaging and flamed out with a result no better than or even worse than typical Dem candidate in the current era of Texas politics.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

None of these Texas State Militias or whatever have anything to do with the Texas National Guard, right? They're just groups of balding fat middle aged white gun nuts that are unaffiliated with any actual military unit, right?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yay the TSA security guy at the (DFW) airport said he liked my Beto for Texas shirt.

That’s my story.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yay I got push polled for the Texas Statehouse District 66 race.

Started out as normalish questions "Do you intend to vote in Nov? Dem/Rep/Undec, Do you approve of Abbott, Trump etc."

Then at the end a whole huge series of "I'm going to make some statements and you tell me if it makes you more or less likely to vote for Matt Shaheen (R) or Sharon Hirsch (D)."

"Ok, go"

"Matt Shaheen is for fluffy kittens and America while Sharon Hirsch is for making you suck Satan's cock in Hell" etc. Clearly this push poll part was where the money was because they had like a billion of these, they got most of the way through (I answered every one that I was less likely to vote for Shaheen and more likely to vote for Hirsch no matter how ridiculous of course) then I got to where I was driving and told them I was busy and they had to gently caress off now.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Cruz campaign or affiliated superPAC is really hitting heavy rotation with an ad with Beto saying he'd consider getting rid of ICE, on all major networks a lot. I'm assuming this is all over Texas or at least all the major cities.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Winning a debate with voters is not anywhere near scored the same way as winning debate on a college team.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

"We're not so different, you and I..."

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Oh hey, a Castro! I was wondering what they were up to.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Trip Report: Early Voting, Collin County on Day 2:

Short line, in and out in probably ten minutes or less total, at early lunch hour. Community rec center.

Given that this county is a GOP stronghold maybe that’s good? I don’t know.

I was a little bummed out that the signage around the building was like 99 percent GOP candidates but what did I expect in this county.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

He’ll run for president in 2020.

Possibly as an independent.

This will never happen. Dude has created his whole career around being brand name southern type GOP conservative. Trump blew all that up, but he doesn't have any enough appeal either within or outside of the GOP to do anything anymore. There will be some other hotness for the GOP after Trump but it ain't gonna be Cruz.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Block walking for Beto this weekend. And I hope that some of you are doing the same!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

turnip kid posted:

I'm betting on 12-15% advantage for Cruz when the smoke clears. I've been down this road before.

How much did Wendy Davis lose by? Beto's situation is like a billion times better than hers. Not saying he's definitely winning, but there's no way he's not improving on that.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Block walked in Collin County. Beautiful day so half the houses weren't home. Decent number of Beto signs and a lot of people already early voted for Beto. One chud lady. All in all, a good time! I should try again tomorrow.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Also, out of ten or a dozen volunteers for our block walk shift, at least eighty percent or so were first time volunteers like me. That tells me something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What did Wohl have to do with Kanye ditching the chuds? Not that Beto or anyone else should have anything to do with that loon.