Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

Oh and to follow up that's what's so frustrating about it becuase you'd think that the gross mismanagement of the state directly impacting the lives of it's citizens in insanely salient ways - such as the entire state losing power and water for a week because of conservative theories of governance - and it didn't move the needle. You'd think the fact that we could sell insurance, public safety, social surety, like it would be apparent that conservative rule in Texas has been an unqualified disaster except for a handful of decisions, and the state is insulated from the worst consequences of its decisions because the state sits upon one of the richest deposits of the most valuable commodity on the planet. We get away with poo poo for the same reason Saudi Arabia does.

As I often say, I don't know what the Democratic party in Texas could offer the people of Texas, because they sure as poo poo don't seem to want it.

No, it doesn't move the needle because of stuff like Fox News. If you bathe in that 24/7 it fills your noggin with stupid talking points to answer any situation with why it wasn't the fault of the GOP but those dirty liberals and their wind and solar farms. If stuff like the freeze had happened in the 70s or 80s I'm pretty sure it would have electoral consequence for the GOP or at least have forced them to modify positions and policies in response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What is the timeframe of a Senate trial for Paxton, and any feel for the likelihood that the Senate would save his bacon?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Who do you guys think could be a strong Democratic candidate for any statewide office in Texas?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

The closest a candidate has gotten in 30 years was Beto and woo boy you should read some of the Beto takes in here.

Whomever that person is will not be palatable to SA.

Yeah I've read them and most of them more than once. It's part of what prompted my sincere question. I mean sure in retrospect the Beto Presidential run was a mistake and his take on guns hae not been well received. But what would be the proper way to handle that? Just mealymouthed thoughts and prayers like every other Dem and Republican, for which he would have been dragged here as well, I have little doubt?

The reason I ask is because there seems an instinctive, reflexive dismissal of anyone who tries to run for a statewide office and the sentiment expressed that it's a waste of time and money that could presumably be useful... elsewhere, in the country or in the state.

Beto seemed like a generically appealing guy who gave intense retail politics a serious go. Pulled some lower office candidates and judges across the finish line. Is that not good and better than a Wendy Davis or MJ whose candidacies did not seem in earnest and more like fundraising profile building campaigns? Better than a Castro twins who won't even take the problem on?

Is it not better for the Colin Allred type candidates to try or to wait for someone who is objectively perfect? Or hope for some surprise celeb bullshit like Matthew McG to run and win on celeb gimmickry and hope he's not a shithead if he wins?

Any good campaign even if it came up short could have some coattail effect like Beto and win some lower seats and hopefully build out a little voter registration and maybe infrastructure if not totally squandered by the state party.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is there an actual time frame for Paxton’s senate trial?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Bueno was way way better in the 90's/00's, the queso was actual queso not the ballpark queso at Taco Bell (both are good). It's much worse these days.

I wondered about this. My friends who grew up in San Antonio talk up Taco Bueno like it is the best thing ever. Several years ago I was visiting my friend’s family there and we had breakfast at Bueno and it was… meh. I just assumed it used to be much better, or it is one of those things like regional burger joint chauvinism where the key is not the actual quality of the food but the remembered associations with good times when we were young and life wasn’t all despair and ashes.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

Hey swears, they got comptroller letterhead without glenn's name on it

This atty seems to be getting a lot of answers he doesn't want, which as I understand it is a violation of rule #1 of Being a Litigator. Like he started to ask Vassar If he had ever used letterhead without the AGs name on it, realized that Vassar had said yesterday he did so commonly, and then tried to play it off with a "ah forget that"

Lionel Hutz energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah this guy right here

So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me