Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Malleum posted:

edit: And while on the topic of me being clueless, why the gently caress does the Texas State Guard have a navy?

Probably for the same reason why plenty of other coastal states have one; Search & Rescue, natural disasters, and other emergencies.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Malleum posted:

But why is the State Guard running it? Unless I'm horribly misreading the rest of the Wikipedia articles on US Naval Militias, most other states have their maritime militias and regular militias segregated with different command structures for whatever reason. But Texas has them all under the same umbrella, along with the State Guard Air Force.

It's a hold over from when Texas used to be a independent country that was never changed since probably because no one wants to be the one to reorganize an entire branch of the national guard.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

No way that's not a troll.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The west coast has has anti-vaccination/homeopathic/anti-science movement, the east coast is full of anti-gun nuts that hates everything that isn't white, Florida is full of crazy people, Russia is turning into the Third Reich, Canada elected someone so weird it makes America look good, Europeans hate Muslims, China wants to pollute the world, and Texas' super religious conservatives are amazing more politically motivated than everyone else.

Realize the world is hosed as we know it, become cynical, lose faith in humanity, start drinking, and get over it like me, and putt all your eggs into space travel.

Everyone is equally as terrible as everyone else. :suicide:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 6, 2015

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Jiro posted:

What the gently caress does anyone need that kind of drum magazine for??? For fucks sake.

People with OCD need something that's guaranteed to consistently jam.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Looks like that Houston mosque fire was perpetrated by one of it's members who tried to make it look like a hate crime.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Can we also tell them to eat rear end here in Houston please?

Houston has enough home-grown affordable cabs services that they can tell Uber to gently caress off forever.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I drove my vehicle to the airport and paid to park like a normal suburban adult.

You monster!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

There are lot of screwed up things about Houston/incorporated, but at least you don't have to worry about parking or traffic for the most part (assuming you avoid the extremely out of date 45 forever like you should).

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Sorry to bear the bad news, but Texas is already a huge joke outside of Texas. This isn't the hill Texas died on.

Every state is a joke outside it's own borders.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I just drink cheap Texas vodka. :effort:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Quandary posted:

I'm moving from Oregon to Dallas, what insanity can I expect to find in Texas politics?

Saying X has better BBQ than Texas is a good way to get shot and have the cops look the away.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I put pinto beans in everything, including chill.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

Basically not necessarily agreeing that the only thing that matters is making a ton of money and salting the Earth.

Well I don't know what to tell you, you're in the epicenter of one of the biggest and most profitable business oriented cities in the United States. Generating money and big business is what we're all about, all I can say is that I'm sorry if Houston isn't a good fit for you. :shrug:

Rexicon1 posted:

e: or being confused why there aren't any goddamn recycling bins anywhere.

Houston is massive and the population is extremely spread out, there isn't enough concentrated foot traffic to warranty their use or expense. Scrap yards and recycling centers focus most of their efforts at targeting people's home for their recyclables. Recycling as a whole is pretty health and competitive in Houston at the moment.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 4, 2016

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

And the that specific verse, too suspicious to be a coincidence.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

Gotta be something, since I just can't believe that they'd be unable to get security in massive cities like Dallas and Houston for a large event.

Especially Houston, we got more private security firms operating here than probably any other city in the country.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

They gone too far this time. :argh:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

We would never secede because there is too much money to be lost by giving being one of the economic backbones of this country.

Plus we're not THAT stupid.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Care to Toxx on that?

On us seceding? Sure.

Dear Admins,
If the state of Texas secede from the United States of American, please ban me. :toxx:

XOXO,
Some Douche on the Internet Back Hack

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Astrodome is one giant cluster gently caress:
-One of owners, and the primary reason why no one can do anything with the Astrodome, wants Houston to renovated it and turn it into a historical building.
-One group of investors want to turn it into one of the worlds largest indoor amusement park.
-Another group wants to turn it into, essentially a Megacity One Block, by converting the interior into a giant convention center with it own series of hotel complexes, a mall, a movie theaters, and god knows how many restaurants.
-And now you have Harris County want to turn it into a parking garage/shuttle hub.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

blue squares posted:

....meatspace?

It's a reference from the cyberpunk game Shadowrun; meatspace basically means 'in real life' to people who live most of their conscience lives on the internet through cybernetics.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

zoux posted:

I'd blame Californians but we got enough homegrown crunchy flouride hating info wars listening morons to account for that

No, I'm going to go ahead and blame California for this one, that's where the anti-vax movement got started and that is where it is currently the biggest.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

On the radio yesterday they had some police union guy and he said he wanted to make resisting arrest a hate crime.

For whom? The police officer who arrest someone with the only charge being, resisting arrest, or for the person getting arrested?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

How does requiring ID such as a drivers license, passport, or whatever to vote discriminates against races? Is there something obvious here I'm just not seeing?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Who's ready for the DNC?

I know I am

What, no Texas vodka?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

The gimmick Absolut one? I wouldn't buy that even as a gag.

I meant Texas vodka, of any kind.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

That's not how HIV works...that's not ever how fetal waste is disposed of. :ughh:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

"Among voters who are opposed to seceding from the union." So basically every Texan then.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Keep that stupid ant-vax poo poo out of Texas, bad enough it acceptable on the west coast. We don't need that crap here. :argh:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I just call it Fort Dallas.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Also, how terrible the Mexican food is and how much better it is back in Texas.

Well to be fair, Mexican food in Cali is generally terrible.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I voted, I don't feel good about (for obvious reasons), but I voted all the same.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Spacebump posted:

People probably don't want to read this as most of the thread has been given a significant gut punch this week but remember don't mourn, organize. There is still work to be done and Texas is still on the longterm path to turn blue.

gently caress turning the state blue, and gently caress keeping the state red. I'm pretty fed up with both parties. :colbert:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

How dare Austin ban Uber/Lyft by letting them leave willingly and of their own accord by refusing to be strong armed and threaten by them. :argh:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah nothing you said makes any sense. When I am DC next week I will use DC Metro along with Uber. Either way it's not all rich tech bros using Uber. I don't know the specifics but why did Uber bail from Austin and not Houston? They worked out a solution with the city of Houston and I am curious why it didn't work out that way in Austin

Because Houston is a massive city with a much bigger population than Austin (especially when you include unincorporated Houston), that gets a massive amount domistic and international traffic from across the global. We safely generate enough business to were they can't ignore us and we can still tell them they can go gently caress themselves. They tried pulling the same poo poo and it didn't work.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

People keep moving here

To elaborate, It's almost as if we have a huge influx of people moving from a certain state where anti-vaxxer have their origins and they've brought their bad politics with them.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/879349533431537667

Also SB 4 hearing in SA federal court today. Cell phones banned so updates should start coming out around the noon break.

We ain't going to secede, I wish news in general would loving shut up about it.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Zil posted:

Kinda surprised we have not heard anything about the Jade Helm exercises this year. For some reason it went by without any notice.

:thunk:

It was never a big story and, in an atypical fashion, got overblown. There were only a handful of conspiracy theorists who were making big deal about Jade Helm, but it got a of lot coverage because it was a slow news week at the time, and the news media is like a group of lemming, when one of them reports something they all start reporting something.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

After the fact, not before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

This is going to be the third time in row, they've totally loving shot themselves in the foot.