Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I mean, it feels like we should still have an energy regulation board, Dan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

god what a loving pussy, was he really worried that in the tail end of Ice-Pocalypse there'd be some wall of protestors waiting for him?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

smoobles posted:

Anyone else struggling with the mental whiplash of going from survival mode, back to white collar dumb internet job? Power is back but I feel like I just woke up from the worst nightmare and can't focus on anything, except being angry at Ted Cruz and the state government. Maybe we all got mild ptsd or something lmao

it's so loving cool that tons of us almost froze to death in our beds and we've gotta go to work on friday all 'ha crazy week huh guys? You see the ted cruz memes?'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gromble posted:

It was this DOE order: https://www.energy.gov/oe/downloads/federal-power-act-section-202c-ercot-february-2021. It temporarily suspended potential permitting issues (mostly emissions limits, as far as I can tell) to allow all power plants to generate as much power as possible during the emergency. Not sure what Cornyn's involvement would be though.

to be fair as much as a glory hog Cornyn's pathetic rear end is the DoE probably did call texas lawmakers and all to ask what the specific issue is and how best to target it and all so while I doubt Cornyn literally kicked the door into the DoE and shouted "YOU MUST SUSPEND PERMITS OR WE'LL DIE" he probably did say 'yea grid's hosed, whatever you can do to let our plants start spinning turbines as fast as possible would help'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

I gotta say all this is gonna make me real sore when Ted Cruz easily wins re-election in ‘24

yea I'm gonna be so loving owned in three years when we just let this pig fucker skate back to washington

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Democratic Pirate posted:

I prepped myself for initial COVID levels of panic shopping, but honestly my HEB trip just now was a normal shopping experience except for the lack of water and dairy. Things should be back to normal by Tuesday/Wednesday.

yea just hit my own HEB, some gaps that were annoying (no bread except dumb poo poo like cinnamon and raison, I can't make a drat panini out of that :argh:) but I got 90% of what I needed except for milk.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sanguinia posted:

I've thought about Texas as a possible place to move if/when I change jobs, but drat if this entire saga hasn't made me terrified at the prospect, knowing that absolutely nothing will be done to fix the state-crippling climate vulnerabilities to your infrastructure, assuming they don't just skip past doing nothing strait into actively making everything worse by removing even more regulation and oversight.

I mean I don't disagree that this was a terrifying reveal of a major failing but buddy if 'not ready for climate change hard realities' is your bar you ain't movin anywhere.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I will say despite me being glib before this (mainly the 'I was out of communication with my long distance fiancée for multiple days during a horrific weather event' element) has sped up my fiancée and my planning for me to join him in Kentucky, and it does feel like if I'm fleeing a state for the comfort of Kentucky the state has hosed up in a fascinating and new way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so what's the easier lie to go for for the vaccine, say I'm fatter than I am or use my obvious homosexuality and say I've got an immune system issue, they weighing people in or checking t-cells?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

smoobles posted:

lmao everyone in the 30-person small DFW company I work at is on Slack right now collectively planning to lie to get their vaccine, because of this news.

I wonder if vaccines are about to get even harder to find now, because of dumbass greg.

we're gonna run out so loving fast

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

jokes posted:

"I just killed an incredible amount of Americans, cementing my spot in the GOP primary"

dying wheezing so Abbot can get 4th in Iowa and quietly drop out of the race

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's weird how that same logic isn't extended to how we should treat the states that voted for a rapist segregationist who was one of the chief supporters of nearly every military action he was in power for almost half a century for.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

honestly shocked he didn't try a mayor run, Art's enough of an egotistical freak to genuinely think he could.

Also why don't people talk more about how he's literally an Infowars guest

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so what's Finner's body count

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sab0921 posted:

Y'all are weird.

Elon Musk may be an rear end in a top hat, but Houston's future is dim at best as an oil and gas town. Getting the largest EV company and fastest growing automaker to move to Houston would be a huge W for the city and may help shepherd us into the future away from extractive industries. Plus, you know, there are like 10,000 people that work at Tesla - some of them may even be nice and would be a great addition to the city.

yea Tesla is a great longterm investment for a city to build its entire identity around, including giving them massive tax breaks and protections, whatever you do don't google Tesla's actual financial and investment trends!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean you can already see how great an investment Tesla is with their 'hey come gentrify this city so we don't need to actually support the people already here' campaign elsewhere. It's like watching Jason hacking someone to bits and going 'we should invite him here next, I bet he'll really stimulate the local machete and hockey mask market'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1380271008637149185

lol this sucks so loving much on so many levels, can't imagine why we keep losing though!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Cool pics tho

yea I mean if the goal was some nice profile pics for the coming year they aced it, not sure how 'we throw flowers at your feet to show...disrespect...' fits in with the goal of voting rights though!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe local flavor was what killed Kennedy.

I'd rather eat lead than most of what Dallas considers trendy food so

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it feels like if he has zero chance of losing his seat for this horrifically bigoted and cruel act of petty revenge then it is indeed a bigger issue than him

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

The issue is that he can easily convince his constituency that he was nobly fighting for a bill to fix their schools, and they'll believe and trust what he says. Honestly, I don't know how much of an issue trans kids is in inner-city Houston, maybe it's a big one, but the bottom line is that the trans sports bill, while mean spirited, cruel and unnecessary, isn't going to change a goddamn thing because it's just codifying what's been a UIL rule for 3 years - it's more about sending a message to trans kids and their parents they aren't welcome here, of course. But that damage is done, it was done when the bill passed the Senate, or even had hearings. It's not a hard sell back home that "oh any trans kids are suffering much more under HISDs mismanagement than they are under a bill that just makes a rule a law.

Before Captain monkey comes in here to call me a centrist, Dutton absolutely should be expelled and primaried, he sucks rear end, but I'm just explaining why it'll be real hard to remove a 18-term rep from the seat he's held since 1984. and why that isn't indicative of a general failure - in this specific instance - of the state dems

if a party can't punish someone supporting outright hate then the party is endorsing that hate, if he's that deep entrenched then the party should remove him, if they won't they're supporting him, it's very simple math.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

This is hyperreductive maximalism and I simply don't ascribe to it. Sorry.

we both know how solid blue his district is, literally any generic, nobody, dem could get his spot in a heartbeat. What can you ascribe to the party refusing to punish one of their own actively reviving a cruel and bigoted bill just to swing his dick around other than agreement that trans lives are worth less?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Does Labour have a Wendy Davis equivalent

it's called 'all of the Labour Party' yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
baby that's just a local cryptid now