Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I just realized we didn't get an update on where Kinemon is :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

We've barely gotten to see him as an adult, and I think he's pretty cool so far.

hes too cool

so hes gonna die like ace did

rip sabo

just kidding hes the writer of the events of one piece (since the narration is being told like a story from long ago)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Sabo would be the equivilent of Marco in terms of placement, probably. So yeah, Marco went toe to toe with an Admiral, I'm guessing Sabo is in that same league.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The reason those characters have those things is because they're not expected to be seen for more than an arc. Generally Oda adds gimmicks to characters so they remain memorable and interesting, but have zero space to develop.

So yeah, I assume we'll just get to know Sabo more over time.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i kinda thought that point was originally made just to show sanji overcoming vergo later or whatever but apparently theres no vergo anymore so whelp

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i really want usopp to actually have a real 1v1 fight despite getting junked

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
kelly wants to kill doffy instead of luffy, like the rest of the arena dudes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
You should note that those are next chapter spoilers because I thought those were related to the last chapter and clicked it so thanks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Ahem, Trafalgar Law, anyone?

jinbe is already a crew member he just isnt on the ship though

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Millions posted:

I'm also in the camp of not wanting Roger to have a fruit, but we haven't seen him swimming yet so there's no way to be sure.

i hope we never find out

seriously.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that must mean chopper is really powerful, because oda thinks hed be from canada.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
kinemon then or vivi returning

also 10 years seems to make sense, its been like what, about 15ish now? that seems like an appropriate amount considering we're mostly through the first, gigantic arc in the new world.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 8, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Broseph Brostar posted:

Besides Jinbe, I can't see anybody joining the crew, this arc has got to end with Luffy's pirate alliance.

Didn't this happen back in Punk Hazard? I don't think you have spoil that.

he recently used the n word to describe law

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if oda actually worked for the amount of time he said he didnt he wouldnt have time to do all the things he mentions doing like movies/tv shows he enjoys watching.

that said he still probably works his rear end off and doesnt get much sleep but he probably squeezes out some time for entertainment each day during work.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Oda also said he wants Robin's Hana Hana no Mi the most because he then could have many hands drawing at the same time. Besides, all the devil fruits that are eaten by female characters are relevant to women's daily requirements in real life, e.g. Alvida's Sube Sube no Mi and Miss. Valentine's Kilo Kilo no Mi.

really dude lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The translation I read noted that the new nakama would join successively btw.

http://opforum.net/showthread.php?tid=6501

rio poneglyph is a very reliable and good translator so i wouldn't chalk that up to someone messing up what's being said. basically the characters i assume would show up in the same piece of an arc (say, at the end of this one). so our new nakama would probably be precisely when jinbe joins, or as a pair.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Advice posted:

Except Momonosuke has a dream that roots him to Wano.

not currently it doesnt, hes a little kid. hes gotta grow up to be shogun im guessing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blackbeard mentions the fruit chose him, im not even sure if he killed thatch in cold blood.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I just want to see wht circumstance in which Thatch died.

There's a pretty significant difference between Involuntary Manslaughter and First Degree Murder.

All we know is Blackbeard is responsible for Thatch being killed. The way Blackbeard phrased it sounded like there was more to it than him just stabbing Thatch in the back, at least motivation wise.

I'm not saying BB is a good dude either, just I want to see what end of the spectrum he's on with regards to evil.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 10, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
all of the badguys in One Piece are legitimately Bad Guys, but some of them happen to be more sympathetic or well developed villains compared to others.

i just want to know if Blackbeard is evil, amoral, or just excessively selfish.

Star Platinum posted:

I think it's pretty cut and dry from what was said in the manga. Thatch finds the fruit and Whitebeard's rules say finders eaters, Blackbeard probably panics because his decades-long wait is about to be wasted and kills Thatch almost immediately before he can eat the fruit. I don't think BB is the kind of guy who would even try to ask him for the fruit first.

blackbeard asked ace to join his crew... blackbeard seems to avoid conflict if possible. he wanted to join the schichibukai without doing anything first as well.

he is NOT a good guy, but he is definitely a schemer, and every time he gets into a fight, he doesnt like it, he explicitly attempts to sway whitebeard out of attacking him. why would he want to fight thatch if he could help otherwise? it absolutely fits his character.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 10, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tollymain posted:

There's a pretty clear difference between betraying and murdering somebody in cold blood vs getting in a fight with a similarly powerful person and risking your hide :eng101:

right, just like fighting thatch. who he probably wanted to avoid fighting. because blackbeard has a history of doing that three times already.

how hard is it to understand that i dont totally buy that blackbeard just straight up saw the fruit and shanked thatch, and that sort of moment reveals a lot about a character, which we know nothing about. other than: thatch died. blackbeard is responsible for death. blackbeard took fruit.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
akainu is like literally the most evil character in one piece besides the celestial dragons

he also wasnt about to tolerate a bunch of HIS OWN MEN DYING when it was quite possibly a losing battle when he had ean easy out.

blackbeard at least gives a poo poo about his subordinates.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Reiche posted:

But we can all agree that that the Celestial Dragons are the loving worst right?

ya

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Broseph Brostar posted:

Didn't Oda say that Sabo was dead in a SBS?

no, it was in one piece green which was not written by oda

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SgtSteel91 posted:

If there was one thing 4kids did right it was changing Kuina's demise. Getting beat up by a gang of sore losers to the point of never being able to wield a sword is a lot more impactful than "she fell down the stairs."

except considering the mysterious circumstances of tashigi they may have completely ruined a plot point.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i liked that chapter because it had stuff happen

there hasnt been enough of that in the previous few chaptrs

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

A Meat posted:

Drawing with a brush that large cant be easy, but even then that isn't a very good bird.

I hope we get so see more lovely drawings come to life. I'd love to see him fight using a sword he drew.

Considering how interesting the power is and how unique his design is, he actually seems like he would make a hella cool strawhat assuming he hits any other criteria necessary i mean. . lol @ the fact that kinemon wont eat the lettuce because its too terrible to stomach .

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i figured the use of cabbage there was there was little space to work with, but i guess maybe oda used a nickname there too

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
nah shanks crew gonna lose to bb crew to show off how powerful bb crew so the reader understands how ridiculous bb is and the ridiculous level power the strawhats have to overcome.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

KoB posted:

Especially when the Strawhats already have a reason to stomp Blackbeard's poo poo and you can show that theyre strong by being tough opponents for the SHs.

you need to up the stakes for the final villain.

id toxx it but sa will prbably cease to exist before we ever get to fight blackbeard lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Terror Sweat posted:

Usopp has to meet his dad

yes, and he doesnt need to fight his dad to do that!!!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

AradoBalanga posted:

You know, for all the lies and tall tales Usopp has come up with (and later discovered to be actually true), I've noticed that he never has used Yasopp's notoriety to his advantage. It's a bit of nice touch that despite being a gigantic coward, Usopp has never once been tempted to take the easy route and announce he is Yasopp's son to the surrounding world. Usopp, in his own crazy way, has reached his bounty and infamy on his own terms without needing to use his famous father to help his credibility. Having the two meet down the line is going to be an interesting showdown, if only because Usopp can genuinely admit that despite his attitude, he got to where he is on his own.

this is great because at some point the world is going to find out and realize god usopp is the son of yasopp and go :aaa:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what if usopps surname actually IS god

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Waffleman_ posted:

So this new Lucy is supposed to be Sabo, right?

just keep reading

this chapter was real good btw!! so hardboiled.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Millions posted:

Franky continues to be the best Straw Hat. Seriously glad he's gotten so much screen time from his Baby 5/Buffalo smackdown on Punk Hazard to now.

yeah i used to feel franky was like sort of kind of good bu this arc sent him up to the top. i somehow hate his current visual design and giant robots and he managed to become my favorite despite that.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i really hope franky's fight ends with him suplexing senor pink into the factory, causing it to crumble beneath them

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
nothing... nothing at all...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Katamari Democracy posted:

Speaking of which, I wonder what him and Gin are up to. I know in every chapter there are little segments but I can not seem to remember if they got one or not. I really liked the Krieg Pirates :colbert:

nope, gin's promise of seeing luffy on the grand line again is one of the few loose ends that seems to have no conclusion alluded to

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ethiser posted:

I really hope he just shows up to help one day with no foreshadowing.

tbh i hope hes like the 2nd underling of kaidou or something and fights sanji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jimbot posted:

The anime gets a bad rap but it is superior to the manga in every way except for pacing, which can be glacial and awful. That's just the pitfall of adapting a still running manga in a season-less format. One Piece anime in a 24 episode season for however many seasons it took to finish would have been the best thing.

filler
the art is worse 95% of the time

manga is definitely better for everything except fights

• Locked thread