Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Wow, it is incredible -- and a little bit sad how small the response this thread has gotten. I was kind of hoping that a bunch of people who were lurking earlier would come and post a bunch once the show aired. I remember in the first thread there'd be like three to five pages of live-posting and a ton of different responses from a lot of people afterwards. Now it seems it's dwindled to, like, maybe five people. :smith:

I don't have cable, so I'll be seeing the episodes tomorrow!

After the wet fart that was the season 1 finale, and the equally bad season 2 finale, most people have decided to just wait for the season to finish and binge it to minimize the inevitable disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The failed Airbender recruiting drive was hilarious.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I'm normally one of the people who picks apart the show, since I wasn't a big fan of the previous seasons but Tenzin's hypocrisy of the first couple episodes has been very enjoyable. He preaches to Korra about how the world has changed and people have to adapt whether they like it or not before being faced with the changing face of the Air Nomands and him refusing to change. His arc, as I see it, is doing what Aang did in The Last Airbender and letting go of tradition and forging a new way for the air nomands.

He needs to create the 36th Chamber, is what I'm saying.

I have to give Tenzin some leeway here, for 40+ years he was the world's only Airbender and the duty of restoring an entire culture was on him, so much so that a major reason he broke up with Lin was because he had to have a lot of kids who would hopefully all be airbenders so the mother needed to be a non-bender.

Now all of a sudden there are dozens if not hundreds of new Airbenders and all he can think about is how he can fill the Air temples and fulfill his father's greatest dream by restoring the Air nation, but most of the benders are adults with families and responsibilities who have no desire to adopt a monastic life. Tenzin's only realistic prospects are to form Airbender colonies in each nation and hope that people like the Earth Queen don't try to exploit them.

dj_clawson posted:

Awwww. Oh well. I do like the new bad guys.

Zaheer is the most interesting, because he's a really proficient airbender who just got the power. I think he was a massive historian of Airbender culture and learned their martial arts styles and philosophies which made it really easy for him to master the his skills once they emerged. I'd love to see him in some flashbacks to know exactly why he was so dangerous even before he was a bender.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

rotinaj posted:

While I feel that Republic City didn't get explored anywhere near as much as turn-of-the-century bustling Chinese city in a world with massively interesting concepts like Bending SHOULD have been, seasons 1 and 2 of LoK really didn't live up to any of their potential. So, gently caress it, I'm totally on board with them doing the thing that made Avatar so much fun, the fact that it was a road show.

I'm really liking season 3 so far, and feel that there's a lot of really fun plot threads going. Hopefully they don't just let half of them drop like they did in the past 2 seasons. (And I even liked season 2 for the most part)

On that note, are there any population numbers for Republic City? It must've been pretty high otherwise why wouldn't the Earth nation just invade and take over?

edit: Speaking of the respective nations, isn't the Fire Nation supposed to be Imperial Japan? Earth Kingdom is a blend of China/North Korea, The Air Nomads are Tibetian, and the Water tribes are...Inuits?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 29, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Take a look at the Fire Nation on the map and you'll get your answer clear as day. They're not even subtle about it.

After seeing this map the Earth Queen has a hell of a good reason to be pissed. The Earth Kingdom lost 1/3 of its land and it was the victim of the Fire Nation's aggression for over 100 years.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

I don't know why people are making all these North Korea comparisons. It's really Empress Dowager Cixi and the late Ching Empire all the way (except that historians are revising their opinion of Cixi in some interesting books), right down to the empire land being taken by foreigners.

It caught on really early and most people just keep running with it. Also, ShadowCatBoy's effort post was lost in the noise of the episode releases.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Well it's also that Ba Sing Se is based strongly off of the late Chinese Qing dynasty, one of two dynasties in which a foreign host (the Manchurians) seized control of the Empire from the native Han population. Because of this, several brutal reforms were put into place to quell rebellion, the most notable of which was the Queue Order, which forced all men in the empire to adopt the Manchurian-style Queue, where the hair is shaved at the front of the head, and worn as a long braid in the back:

The penalty of not doing so was death. It was a sign that the Han were forced to submit themselves to the Manchurian rulers.

The latter days of the Empire was overseen by several despotic or incompetent rulers, such as the young boy-emperor Puyi (who also appeared to be the basis for the previous Earth King, from the original ATLA series):

Or the Dowager Empress Cixi, who is popularly regarded as a despot. She may also have been the inspiration for the Earth Queen:

The full history of any dynasty is complex of course, but some of the common threads that runs through the Qing are oppression, stagnation, and resistance to change. So this may also have been a big influence in how Mike & Bryan conceived Ba Sing Se. Though yeah North Korea is also a very apt comparison.

EDIT: Also I know you guys probably hate him but holy crap Kai is such an adorable little scamp. Might also be because Kai is part of my Chinese name. :3:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Look, I'm not Asian so maybe it's not my place to say this, but if you seriously think Chinese people are that stupid holy poo poo

This is the same mentality that led to the Red Guard destroying the gently caress out of 4000 years of Chinese histroy because Mao told them it was holding them back.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

It's interesting, I don't know a single actual child that watches Avatar/Korra, only adults or teenagers. I've asked a few of the older (~8yo) kids why they're not interested, and I keep getting the same answer: none of them have any idea what's going on in the show, ever. It's a show with actual continuity that makes things impossible to catch up on for a kid*, so who can blame them?

*they love OnDemand, but it only ever has 3-4 random mid-season episodes (which doesn't help anything), and they obviously can't buy episodes off iTunes or trawl random torrent sites, sooooooo

With the 13 episode seasons rather then 22 the show is being paced much more like a serialized TV drama then a regular kids cartoon show. You miss an episode here or there and you've lost the plot, unlike AtLA where over 1/2 the episodes were just the gang wandering around.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

What the hell is up with this? They have to want this to fail.

http://fronttowardsgamer.com/2012/07/18/legend-of-korra-renewed-through-season-4-and-details-about-season-2/

They're going to make 4 seasons no matter what. It's more likely that Nickelodeon knows the audience for this show skews way higher then AtLA and more money can be made from DVD/Blu-ray sales then ads for barbies and transformer toys.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 3, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sithsaber posted:

Why the hell are people pushing this? Can't an aunt keep her well meaning niece at a distance because of long lingering family issues? The daughter of a bastard still counts as a bastard on all the land deeds.

The speculation over poo poo in TVIV gets into really, really strange territory. Just check the Archer thread; for some reason people are obsessed with the idea that Woodhouse is Archer's father despite literally no evidence at all and a massive amount of contradictory information.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

The Nuk Tuk stuff was fine and came to a really fun conclusion. Bolin was a pretty useless character overall, but at least he wasn't Mako who is just The Worst. I just finished season 2 and yeah the back half was pretty good.

Mako's entire plot for the second season was garbage. He was just a source of ~romance drama~ for Korra half the time, and the other half it was him getting stonewalled by the most blatantly corrupt and/or ineffective detectives until he was framed for the terror attacks.

Really, the one guy breaking the rules and trying to solve the mysterious bombings also happens to have a bag full of cash and explosives in plain sight in his bedroom? Come on Beifong, you're smarter then that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lessail posted:

This season... is good!

This was every thread at the start, and even though we hit lows in never went into "gently caress this bullshit show" territory until the finale blew the potential they had been building all season.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sithsaber posted:

What we shouldn't also forget is that Wan died a failure(he couldn't hold back societal breakdown and tribal war) and that his teachings probably died out more than once.

It must've really sucked for the 2nd avatar. And the 3rd, 4th, etc until the White Lotus was founded.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Jinora needs to be acknowledged as an expert Airbender and the only Spiritual master the Air Nation has. Whether or not she's a master in terms of bending prowess is irrelevant because she's a master of the spiritual aspect and Tenzin is not.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 21, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oracle posted:

How would Aang know? They're apparently pretty new on the scene, maybe only revealing themselves after the new Avatar was revealed. They've never been mentioned before 13 years ago (well, they STILL haven't been mentioned, the name is speculation). And if they still want to unite the four peoples, just do it with an iron fist, well... its not like we haven't seen heavy-handed Avatars in the past (Kyoshi for one, Roku was no shrinking violet. And all the avatars were advising Aang to kill the Firelord).

Given how chaotic the world had been for the last 100 years, the vast majority of Avatar lives would probably favor ruling with an iron fist. Maybe Zaheer has communed with former Avatar spirits and they set him on the path to undo Aang's softer approach.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

The show is mostly watched by adults; Nick is not in the business of marketing to adults. It cannot sell advertising space for companies that sell to adults because it's not part of its general business structure. Adults are also more likely to watch it online, which skips commercials. Basically, they're probably LOSING money on Avatar and trying to figure out a way to stop that from happening, and burning off episodes as quickly as possible wasn't working for them, so they're pausing to do some thinking.

Korra originally aired Sat. morning and was getting ~4 million viewers, then Nick started messing with the time slot. Yeah, the show is popular with adults, but you still get an extra million kid viewers when you air it right in the middle of Saturday morning cartoon time.

Whatever their plan was for this show, anyone could have told them from the start they need to maintain a consistent time slot for the show to retain viewing figures, and take advantage of letting people watch the show online with ads.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If Nickelodeon has told them to gently caress off then the creators can say whatever the gently caress they want at SDCC. It's going to be fantastic.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lelandjs posted:

Heh. Just when I get back into the show it gets taken off the air.

What would be awesome is of they just put all the rest of the episodes up at once on the streaming sites. This season flew by when I caught up with it.

I wouldn't bet on Nick footing the bill for the rest of Season 4's production, but there is more than a decent chance that Netflix/Amazon/Yahoo will step in and take over. Netflix is the safe guess (they bought Clone Wars from CN and paid for a final season) but Amazon currently has exclusive rights to ATLA streaming (and Yahoo have been in a buying mood as of late).

I'm pretty sure Book 4 is more or less done. Nickelodeon has already sign the contract for it. If networks could just promise a show X amount of seasons and then decide to stop paying when they want Glee would've ended months ago.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Yeah, you'd think that. Then you realize how horribly CN treated Justice League Unlimited

After season 1 of Justice League the show lasting for 4 seasons was a miracle. It could've rightly been axed after the poo poo show it started as.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Even after 3 seasons Korra still tries to punch through everything. Metal wall shoots up from the floor? Rather then bend it back down she just tries to punch a hole in it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AshB posted:

But how could he possibly have known Zaheer and co. would find them there? I don't think Zaheer gained the spiritual projection power until he raided the Air Temple.

I'm pretty sure non benders can enter the spirit world. Are the gurus exclusively benders? I thought the guy that Aang met was a non-bender.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Has Korra done that peace out sign from the next ep preview before?

First episode, when she gets arrested by Lin.

TheModernAmerican posted:

Alright, I just finished up season one, and it ended on an obnoxious sour note. So I guess I'm stuck.

I remember people in the thread getting super excited over what Amon and the Equalists represented (people were passionately arguing that Amon was Aang for a while) and it kept building up more and more promise before letting out the wet fart that was the finale. It's almost like the ending was completely fabricated on the fly once they got a renewal and needed a way to restore the show's status quo for Book 2.

Book 2 suffers from "teen romance drama" but just power through because the Avatar Wan 2 parter is the best part of the season and the show picks up considerably after that.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 27, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Octopode posted:

Am I wrong, or didn't they say that season 3 and 4 were one overarching plot this time, instead of self contained like seasons 1 and 2? We may not see the end of the Red Lotus this season.

I'm going to just put it out there: every single season of Korra, despite some weak episodes always had this promise of something amazing for the finale and then it turned into a joke.

Book 1: Amon and the Equalists: Non-benders making a serious stand against the bending culture, tons of exciting philosophical potential, ends on the bullshit deus ex machina of Korra magically regaining her bending and able to cure all those who Amon blocked.

Book 2: Delving deep into the spiritual world, Korra becoming conflicted in terms of who should teach her how to be the avatar, evil spirits are introduced, and the series ends with a Kaijuu fight between glowing bad guy and glowing Korra with random help from Jinora.

The Korra writers may know how to lay the framework for a great story, but when it comes to resolving it they literally make up something on the spot to tie it up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

Having just watched that episode again, it's a little more than that. After his life's work had been cut down, he got to watch as his brother essentially tried the same thing but even worse, and then during the escape his brother was making empty promises that they'd go somewhere else and try doing it again. They don't know how to do anything else. If you watch closely enough, the whole thing has a very Of Mice and Men vibe; Noatak is making promises of their bright future together, but obviously knows what's up given that he starts to cry while Tarlok's opening the gas tank.

Exactly, it wasn't about punishing his brother or getting revenge, they had reunited and were still ruined by the memory and upbringing of their father and there wasn't any real way forward. Being able to be together again at the end was the best they could've hoped for.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

There is word for this kind of thing its a Kekkei Genkai.
http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Kekkei_Genkai

No, do not legitimize use of anime Japanese phrases. Even use a phrase like genetic inheritance or some else but not this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

It's not quite political. They tend to exaggerate features, embiggen them and use visual metaphor rather than state "this guy is a communist" and "These are the peoples". I'd love to see some fan art like that.

It's in the style of The Onion's cartoonist, who he himself is a savagely brilliant parody of regular cartoonists.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

havenwaters posted:

The Ultimatum just leaked. Nick c'mon man.

How does this even happen? Someone uploads the episode onto a unsecured server and people grab it right up?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Superstring posted:

In other notes, lots of people have brought up how cool it was to see Tenzin and Zaheer finally fight it out. What's interesting is that despite it being the first Airbender vs. Airbender fight ever shown, Tenzin and Zaheer have pretty different bending styles. Zaheer uses a lot of... almost capoeira style kicks where he's kicking with both legs while supporting himself with one or both arms. It's definitely different than how we've seen Aang or Tenzin move, whick makes sense.

Zaheer uses airbending to strengthen his regular martial arts skills. Tenzin literally weaponizes the air. It was almost comedic and it's a shame they didn't show more of Zaheer struggling just to dodge while Tenzin schooled him.

It was surprising at how easily Tenzin was swarmed by the other Red Lotus. It looked like without the explosions acting like strategic artillery he could've held off the other 3 for a bit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ravane posted:

What kind of fanfiction bullshit is this?

This is pretty much the appropriate response to the vast majority of speculation people have been giving on the show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

For me, it's not about being scientifically accurate but keeping a good distinction between the bending styles. I'm already miffed enough as it is to see we have a lavabender, somebody who straddles earth and firebending.

Lava is just liquid rock. The resulting fire is the product of superheated materials coming into contact with non-heated materials. There's no major physical difference between earth/lava and water/ice. It's more surprising it was just now introduced.

At no point does "firebending" come into it. He's not bending the flames in any way shape or form. If waterbenders can turn liquid water into ice effortlessly then it would follow that an earthbender could do the same but just require way more training/strength given the differences in the melting points of the substances.

Oh, and am I going crazy or are the airbender tattoos a nod to the Red Tornado, DC comics hero with elemental wind powers active since the late 60s? I can't find anything online, so I don't know if Red Tornado is a nod to something else going further back and he and airbenders share a common point of reference.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can we get a thread title change with the book 4 date? I almost missed the book 3 debut until I saw this thread like 2 days before.

• Locked thread