Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, at the very least the first half of the book's really freaking good.

Evil Fantastic Four are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ShadowCatboy posted:

Was... was that evil waterbending chick a double arm amputee? :stare:

Yup, and later on she's the Van driver :3:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

So basically Online will now the only way to view Korra!

Looks like
https://www.facebook.com/MichaelDanteDiMartino

This is bullshit and all... but hey, I'm in Mexico, if they give me an official way to finish the book on Friday then I'm cool with this. Put up book 4 on netflix or something when it's done and keep the comics coming and I'll be satisfied.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

lelandjs posted:

Heh. Just when I get back into the show it gets taken off the air.

What would be awesome is of they just put all the rest of the episodes up at once on the streaming sites. This season flew by when I caught up with it.

I wouldn't bet on Nick footing the bill for the rest of Season 4's production, but there is more than a decent chance that Netflix/Amazon/Yahoo will step in and take over. Netflix is the safe guess (they bought Clone Wars from CN and paid for a final season) but Amazon currently has exclusive rights to ATLA streaming (and Yahoo have been in a buying mood as of late).

"Hang tight, Korra fans. There is 1 new episode this Friday at 8, then the rest of the season will be available from various sites online. We'll let you know when we have more details. Thanks!"
https://www.facebook.com/MichaelDanteDiMartino

Book 4 was ordered forever ago since it's literally just a part of Season 2, I'd assume most of the money's down already, specially since they confirmed pre-production's over already.

So it looks like we watch Book 3 on Friday then binge-watch Book 4 as soon as it's done probably and if everything goes well Nick will let the Dark Horse comics go on and, idk, we get a 6-issue mini about Iroh being a badass at some point.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

NowonSA posted:

Unfortunately, with these ratings and movies forever poisoned by a horrible adaptation, it seems likely that Korra will be the last we see of the Avatar universe. Maybe there will be a few comics, at best, after Korra wraps. I'll be pretty content that we at least got more in the first place, and A:TLA is always there for a rewatch and is always going to rock (on the whole, I know not all A:TLA episodes are great).

I think, and I'm probably completely off base and don't know poo poo, that what's really hurting the show is that while these ratings and the bad movie are going, Nick literally has another action-adventure property revived from an old hit show with TMNT and it's doing way better: it sells a shitton of toys (motherfucking Chia Pets even), it's much cheaper, faster to produce (when we heard that book 3 was finally done, that show was already 44 episodes in, with four more episodes set to air three weeks later) and way higher ratings (their lowest rating episode got 1.9, and it's surrounded with 2.X, with 11 episodes going past 3) they even got a movie going that will suck balls, but it's Michael Bay so it'll do really good money. Without counting the praise the show gets compared to all the loud criticism Korra gets.

TL;DR: Nick's probably going "Well, this Korra stuff just isn't making as much money as TMNT."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

e:f,b

Wish the episodes would roll out all at once, tho.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

X_Toad posted:

No iTunes? Rats. How easy is it to get videos from the U.S. Google Play store if you're not from the U.S.?

Get the Hola extension and just watch it on Nick.com, support this stuff

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

If it weren't because Su couldn't have known she'd survive that cable drop with Lin thanks to Bolin's sniping, I'd be betting on her orchestrating this with (or maybe even without, dude knew he was suspected off then went behind a wall of metal, anything could've happened in that room/tunnel) nosepierce-liedetector-mcmetalbender... just the way she lied to Lin right after we get her utterly shocked reactions at someone lying to her, along with just sending Team Avatar out there with no backup whatsoever, seems too ideal for the Red Lotus.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

Nope. Seasons 2-4 were greenlit at the same time. The writers just hosed up last year.

I'm pretty sure that an episode or two into book 1 they got greenlighted for a full season. Then a few weeks after Book 1 ended they got to announce at comic con that they got a second season ordered. Remember that books=/=seasons

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

If Su Yin isn't conspiring with them, she will at the very least be the gateway to learning just who they are and what they want. To be honest, circus chunk Zaheer talking about airbending philosophy and what's wrong with the world sounds like a fun flashback.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TheModernAmerican posted:

The lion turtle thing was a bit dumb, but it's not like he just suddenly figured it all out with no warning. There was at least minimal set up.

A turtle touched his forehead and Aang suddenly grew the never-before-referenced power to make it so he doesn't have to kill anyone just like he wanted. How's there setup?

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 30, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TheModernAmerican posted:

That uhh... won't happen. The only reason why I stuck through it is because I don't have a job for the next 2 weeks and can just absorb input like a sad rock.

This show would be so much better if it had one villain like Aang had. It's a little bit of a let down to go from an event that happens once every ten thousand years that results in fundamental changes to how the universe works to... four dudes.

I think you mean that the show had one mayor conflict (the war) rather than one villain because Ozai was technically the big bad of the series and he's OKAY at best when it comes to villains, I mean he wasn't as boring as Combustion Man, but he certainly wasn't the best villain in the show when you got Zhao, Long Feng and Azula.

I think in that respect, the four dudes work really great, if they end up being just four guys that wanted something realistic in the worldand were simply strong then that's rad. Not sure how to explain it, but what I want is not Ozai vs Aang but rather Azula vs Zuko/Katara.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

NextTime000 posted:

alright so I finally managed to catch up on episodes 1-7 online now; it's looking pretty good but I guess I shouldn't be the judge since I can sit through most things.

though when I was watching the book 2 finale I was thinking "wow that's cool but also really dumb and sudden" and outright shouted "I must go, my home planet needs me" when jenora took off from the spirit world to help korra

anyway did episode 8 get aired and will be put up tomorrow or am I all caught up to everyone

Nick.com's not that good at showing the episodes, episode 8 is under the general episodes option rather than on the Korra episodes.
http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-208-full-episode.html
Now you'll be all caught up.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The thing that gets me on the player is that it repeats frames like crazy when it starts, I stay paranoid that the framerate's bad during the whole first act.

I knew that the Red Lotus were anti-establishment! Didn't expect Zaheer to straight up be Senator Armstrong, tho
I kinda super agree to their point about the White Lotus, tho.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

^not quite since the last two books ended with "okay, the bad guy was evil and all, but he had a point, so lets change things up" with how the higher powers in Republic City were fired the gently caress away and a non-bender got power, then Korra uniting the spirit world with the physical one like Unalaq wanted.

In a way, Zaheer wants what Tenzin wanted earlier in the book:

To drag people away from their happy lives and lead a new life under the teachings of old Airbending masters.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So this is either me being utterly awful with names, or a crack in Zaheer's persona:

Does he quote anyone other than Guru Lahima? I might be super wrong, but I can't really think of other names he's said, and if he's just quoting from the one airbender dude, then he could easily have just studied the one guy that said stuff that sounds like back-up to his philosophy and run with it to sound smart, rather than actually caring much about the airbending culture. If so, then his mastery of the element could've come from somewhere else, such as training with an Air Acolyte that's actually a Red Lotus member while in the spirit world, just learning techniques until he's ready to bust out.

The Pai Sho scene and

Baron Bifford posted:

This latest episode raises on of the big plot holes of the whole Avatar saga: they have never properly defined what "balance" is.

Make me think there's a connection. If Pai Sho=Balance, then Bolin and Asami had different ideas of Balance, Asami's idea gave her an upperhand and Bolin had to adapt to it, and it took so long for Bolin to deal with it and defeat Asami that the board was thrown away by an external force, making that meaning of Balance not matter anymore.
The villains this series have all spoken about Balance, but for Amon balance meant equality and taking bending away, for Unalaq it was about tradition and spiritual connection, and for the Red Lotus it's freedom, all ideals that bring "balance to the world" because that's just how they see things and nobody can possibly agree on what exactly is needed for Balance, or on how Pai Sho is supposed to be played. Not sure what Pabu ripping Bolin's plushie head apart entails in this metaphor that's likely not even there and I'm just seeing stuff.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Zaheer mentioned something about the red lotus getting to him when he was a teenager, right? The organization is bigger than these four guys probably. With members that could be in any and every organization. Living in secret while the White Lotus became public.

They're loving Hydra, man!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Personally, I'm wondering if Book 4 isn't going to tie everything else together. We've already learned that Book 2 and Book 3 are connected, what if Amon was part of the Red Lotus too? Another cell, working from a different direction for the same ends?

I think this'll be the case. Like, Korra defeats Zaheer this book but then we find out that the Red Lotus is much bigger than it seemed and manages more of the world than you'd expect.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Well, the entire point of ATLA during book 3, and every piece of media since, has been that the old Avatars are loving old and outdated for the world.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I honestly like Bryan's reblog of the tumblr post where he adds "poop gets real"

Boy did poop get real! Though Bolin and Mako's scenes were some of my favorites (same with Korra and Asami's teamwork tho) Bolin and the Red Lotus need to hang out more.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So one thing I can't stop thinking about is that this episode, unless Ghazan and Ming-Hua were lying, confirms that only Zaheer can go to the spirit world, and if that's the case and their stories were true, how pissed off will they be when they find out Zaheer spent thirteen years yucking it up in the spirit world, probably partying with Iroh in ways the physical world cannot begin to comprehend?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It really does :allears: I was enjoying how wise and cool Zuko was acting, but that face is just perfection.

On Tenzin, I think he'll survive. If Zaheer didn't take the chance to kill him after that sentence then he wants Tenzin alive, if he wants to kill him in front of Korra or something hardcore thing then it'll be in a time where someone can actually do something about it and stop him, be it Avatar State Korra wrecking him or Bolin/Mako/Bumi/Kya/Kai showing up to save Tenzin at the last minute.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Retro Ghost posted:

What?? They're not going to kill off Tenzin. They panned away because he was being beaten/tortured into submission.

Exactly this.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The season finale needs to land it really well, i'm not sure if i'm ready to say it's THE best Avatar has been, but at the very least it's on par with Book 2 of ATLA, which was the best book.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Hot drat did things not work out for Korra. Twice in a row she's been saved by Jinora at the end of the line and those poison visions she got are probably haunting her dreams, and on top of that Jinora now literally looks exactly Avatar Aang. I seriously can't wait for the next book, looks like that's exactly what it'll build upon: Korra's feelings of being inadequate, which is a pretty neat message.

I'm not that well-read on my psychology, but there's four stages of a person's development, co-dependent rebelious group-dependent and independent, by switching the first two around you get a good idea of what drives Korra's actions in these three books (how in book 1 she always acts to challenge anyone imposing on her, on book 2 she always leans on someone's help [mako, unalaq, desperately searching for someone to lean on, Wan] and in book 3 we saw a lot of her delegating to team avatar) so if i'm not talking out of my rear end that means book 4 is when she tries and will finally succeed on being independent and the world figure she can be.

Really liked P'Li stuff (no the other stuff before that) just sweet seeing those two get sappy, i only wish Zaheer would've stood on his tiptoes for the kiss.

God this was great, but I need that next book right now. Holy poo poo wait, peole missing on seeing are: Zuko's Daughter and Toph. Not too farfetched to think Zuko's daughter dealt with some issues similar to Korra (the world demanding more of her than she knew how to give) at some point in her life, and Toph literally had parents that rejected her for not being what they expected. Toph's so gonna give the life-changing adventure Zuko didn't give her and poo poo's gonna blow up everywhere

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 22, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/digital-short-legend-of-korra-uploader-special-announcement.html?xid=korranation

Oh hey, 24 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

"This video is unavailable in your location" Niiiiiiick. :argh:

But with what you said, 24 days is the 4th October? That soon?

I mean, I'm happy to not wait as long, but that means it'll be over sooner and shows how much they care about the show to just shove it in our faces.

If they do a double episode to start, then a double episode at the end, then Book 4 will end on the 13th December. Not that soon. :(

Oh gosh no. I made a mistake.

It comes out on the 3rd.

• Locked thread