Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yeah I'm hoping I can still get a B&B near Holmefirth so I can watch the race go up Holme Moss. Don't drive though, so will have to come up on the train with my bike - but knowing our trains there won't be any free spaces for bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

ukle posted:

All the B&B's round our way anywhere near the route have been booked out for months, there are tons of camping sites set up though and some of those adhoc sites will have spaces.

As for Bikes on trains they are supposedly laying on extra bike carrying capacity, along with tons of extra trains but I would imagine that is also already booked out / going to be a lot of competition for. I would pick another spot than Holme Moss as well, as there could well be 50,000+ people there so viewing will be a bit of a mess. There are tons of spots all around the route suitable and some are in places that are not far from a train station (e.g. Keighley has a 6/7 or so degree climb for about 1km on its way out of the town up to Howarth).

Yeah, might forget taking the bike as I doubt I'll be able to take it on a train. No camping gear either. Might see about staying in Leeds to watch the first stage and getting the train to see it in Keighley instead (good suggestion).

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I'm now thinking of getting the steam train from Keighley up to Oxenhope on Sunday

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yeah sun came out 10 minutes before the riders arrived

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
That's most likely because of the literal carnival too. Time to go for a pint before I get the train to Harrogate then

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
drat, no more space on the trains. Gonna sit down in Leeds and watch on the big screens instead

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Haha, cheers from the crowd in Leeds for Jensie getting the KOM, jeers for David Cameron appearing on the screen

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

fartmanteau posted:

That's a deathly silence upon the home crowd.

Should have heard the gasp from the crowd in Leeds (was quiet after that though)

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
David is so tall compared to Ned and Chris

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Ah balls. Got the earliest train I could from Birmingham, but it got delayed so there's a long wait until the next train to Keighley. By the time I get there the race will be just going past - no chance of seeing them go up Oxenhope.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Crowds were good in Keighley - probably had time to walk further up and get up to the start of the hill but oh well. Found myself a spot right on the edge if the road just street after the hairpin. Lots of local businesses/charities out selling food and drink - good atmosphere.

Now drinking a pint and watching an old Yorkshireman try to get his dog to let go of a stick

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Big crowd watching the big screen in Sheffield. Didn't realise how far out the race finished when I got here though

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
There was a chap in just his underwear yesterday, which got a big cheer from the Leeds TV-spectators

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

So do they actually give you the cameraman's name on France TV?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Withnail posted:

The fact that you need to be skinny to be good at cycling loving sucks.

Solution: take up downhill MTBing

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Pocket posted:

Sooo can't wait to poo poo up the Guardian Cycling comments section tomorrow.

are you Ranger75th or blackflame79?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
It's not really the veininess of the arms that gets me, it's how thin they and his legs are.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

julian assflange posted:

Paul Kimmage says he was dropped from BBC Newsnight last night at the last minute as they claimed another story was on instead. They actually ran the piece but with a guy from the Times lmao

yeah that was a poo poo segment, basically boiled down to "those frenchies are just jealous the british are winning! sky released full data and they still aren't happy!"

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Welp, bye Bertie

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

ukle posted:

Also where the hell is the mountain biking in Rio? Would assume its round a favela given how dangerous a lot of the venues seem.

They made a custom track for the London Olympics. Maybe they could do an urban downhill event down city streets?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Skarsnik posted:

Carbon ones don't use clamps do they?

Yep. Some aero ones though use a wedge like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Long break in the BBC commentary there - maybe stagger your piss breaks a bit better?

edit: also lol @ that 30m break in the barrier:

second edit: scenery is good though - those waves looked p. massive in the background. and why don't the organisers just pay whoever does the World Tour coverage to provide the timing?

Carpet fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 6, 2016