Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Police unions are the ultimate example of how a collectivist society can still be FYGM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pohl posted:

What Collectivist society are you talking about, because I don't see one around here.

A hypothetical collectivist society.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pohl posted:

A collectivist society wouldn't need unions, so whatever point you were trying to make means nothing. :aaaaa:

Police Unions:Society::Hypothetical Collectivist Society:Rest of World.

If you're too obtuse to understand that, let me know.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Presuming you live in the US, college students being idiots with alcohol is mostly attributable to the 21 drinking age. Lower it to 18, and you'll see a lot more kids going into college with some common sense, rather than having to learn it the hard way once they're there.

People drink a shitton even before 18 in the US.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

klen dool posted:

I feel the same way with tobacco. I wish we would just flat out ban it, so that I wouldn't have to decide every day not to walk across the street and buy a pack.
I honestly think that a tobacco black market would barely exist if it was banned.

I am all for legalising all substances though.

Tobacco is already being phased out in the US, it's basically illegal to use it in most public areas and general smoking rates are extremely far down compared to historical rates and the world at large (smoking rates of women are up but they're hilariously low in basically all countries).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm still wondering why the guy shot the dog that was in a locked car.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Or we could repeal the 2nd amendment and confiscate all guns so that police wouldn't have to be militarized just to be able to stop an average criminal, but it's not like that's ever going to happen.

You can either let everyone have all the guns they want OR de-militarize the police. You don't get to have both.

Urban areas aren't the ones with gun nuts stockpiling weapons.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Has anyone considered that police die at a relatively low rate as a consequence of their overzealous brutality, or does that make too much sense?

Generally zealous brutality makes people more likely to want to see you dead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Speed limits are set too low but if you're by yourself you should drive it anyway because a cop's not going to ticket you if you're going the same speed as everyone else but he can and will ticket you for breaking it alone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Ender posted:

I think a camera program would be great, but... I mean, what happens when cop turns it off, beats / shoots some minority kid, and then claims the camera 'malfunctioned' or whatever. At face value it seems like cameras would offer pretty slim accountability, especially considering the technical ineptitude of all the 60+ year old judges that would make any ruling on such a case.

You can make it hard to tamper with, and you can make it so that turning off the camera leaves different evidence than it legitimately malfunctioning.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baronjutter posted:

Wasn't there a case somewhere where the police decided it was illegal to warn people about speed traps? Like someone was setting up a website or putting up little signs to warn people about speed traps and poo poo and the police shut it down and the courts some how allowed it.

There was an app that informed people about sighted DUI checkpoints and a bunch of Senators got all mad and told Apple to take it down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kaynorr posted:

This is probably the most true and relevant thing that's been said in the last few pages. So long as you can ruin an elected official's career by accusing him of being "soft on crime" (which is generally an emotional substitute for enforcing the kind of order the voter wants enforced), you can't bring about any meaningful change.

The people who understand all the unintended consequences of being "hard on crime", by and large, don't vote. Until they do, and repeatedly and consistently, none of the rest of it matters. None whatsoever.

"Soft on crime" is becoming less and less of a factor the further away we get from the 90s. The only place I've seen it used recently is for elected judge's campaigns, for obvious reasons there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Yeah, there really isn't an outlet for this discontent, which might we be why the elite are content with people seeing it. Still, local elections could be used to push for reform, whether it is for local law enforcement officials or city councillors. It is risky though, Arpaio started off as a reform candidate for instance.

There are a couple of worrying possible outcomes to growing discontent too. One is business elites start to openly stand with the police and criticising the police openly starts to threaten your job prospects. Another is private police forces gaining popular support as a solution.

It's just as likely that businesses will support token reforms because it means they don't have to clean up the mess after some people burn down their stores.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReV VAdAUL posted:

That's the thing though, we're talking about White Middle Class people starting to realise how badly the police are behaving and the only push factor for the elite to support reform is if riots occur often enough that it hits their bottom line. As the link on the last page shows, most communities who are victims of police abuse of power aren't rioting, let alone Middle Class Whites who are unhappy about it but not directly affected.

You're also talking about when those white middle class people do become directly affected. At that point protests among the lower classes are more likely *and* you have moderately wealthy individuals (and more importantly, voters) who are calling up their state representatives to complain.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tiler Kiwi posted:

criminal justice is weird when it comes to idiots

like on one hand, the stuff ive seen with criminal justice education is refreshingly sane and practical poo poo. it tends to be pretty heavily influenced by sociology and the thought that maybe most criminals arnt actually rabid dogs, and at worst its just pretty mushy about making judgements on "controversial" yet stupid stuff like the war on drugs. overall the thought behind questions like reasons for crime tends to focus more on unmet needs and societal disorganization rather than some ingrained hatred of law, and the conventional wisdom in the field about things is more or less "being an authoritarian poo poo is stupid, hating criminals is stupid and wrong, everyone is a criminal on some level, corporate crime does more damage to society than many other crimes", rather than people saying like "COPS SHOULD BE LIKE MARINE KILLERS HOORAH" or some poo poo

but then whenever an "expert" emerges from police organizations / prosecutors office or whatnot, its invariably a Very Serious Person who is deeply concerned about rap music and grand theft auto giving points for cop murder. or someone that comes in and talks about using polygraph tests and then spins around in awkward circles when its pointed out that its pseudoscience. or otherwise the sort of person you could picture arguing that its okay to shock a suspects genitals as long as youre pretty sure theyre guilty

kind of irritating

I think that's explained by a high variation in criminal justice education, a lag time in people being properly educated actually filling in the ranks, and a tendency for police to not require a criminal justice degree in order to be a police officer (mostly the last two).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

How utterly ignorant. Why should possession of a plant be any sort of crime or infraction? How does it harm society that I possess a plant?

Same except homeopathic medicine.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cole posted:

Why is this any different?

Usually it is socially acceptable to stereotype people based on their careers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cole posted:

So all UFC fighters want to punch me in the face? All football players want to tackle me?

In this analogy, a police officer's job is to shoot people?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kaal posted:

Oh they absolutely did. The riots were a reminder that the problems of civil rights restrictions were real and visceral, and demanded an immediate response. Americans like to tell ourselves that it was MLK Jr doing peaceful demonstrations and getting hosed by police that made the Civil Rights Act possible, but it was also Malcolm X and the Black Panthers marching through the streets with guns. King's "I Have a Dream" is considered the most important American speech of the 20th Century, but it's closely followed by Malcolm X's "The Ballot or The Bullet".

http://web.archive.org/web/20080328065639/http://www.news.wisc.edu/misc/speeches/
If riots were the major reason for progressive legislation they would have been passed in the 1940s.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cracker King posted:

Then lets talk about reforms!

What about the idea of a National police force? I believe here in the States we are unique in having such regional police forces. Wouldn't having a National force potentially be better because you would have uniform standards, sure more bureaucratic red-tape but more record keeping (preventing lovely officers from jumping to other departments like that Tamir Rice shooter.

I know this will never happen in ARE COUNTRY but who knows?

Edit: And sorry dude, cops and minorities have had issues since the beginning of modern Policing in the 19th century.

I don't think the FBI has the best track record either, though certainly it's tempered by the fact that they aren't dealing with local matters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

We have nurses unions and we still hold nurses accountable. Likewise, in states with weak police unions you don't see a significantly better police force.

But then again, if a doctor accidentally kills someone because they weren't trained for the task they were trying to do, they aren't investigated by only other doctors.

Meanwhile the FBI investigates itself and finds they have a perfect record.

That's always going to be a bit of an issue though because you're drawing your investigators from the same pool as your policemen.

You could mitigate this somewhat by having a national level program that focused on other regions (so the New York investigation office would focus on Texas, etc), but that wouldn't really help with national level programs like the FBI, especially if it's a root issue for the entire organization.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Misogynist posted:

Is this a good time to bring up how much more likely Americans are to be killed domestically by police officers than terrorists?

Well, even in states with active revolutionaries (i.e., Colombia) you're more likely to get killed by police.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Omi-Polari posted:

I was talking to my brother about police stuff and he raised the idea of creating civilian auxiliaries to serve as a buffer between police forces and civilian communities. We live down south where this isn't as much of a thing (although some towns, typically wealthier towns with bored retired people, have unarmed citizen patrol units). I'm thinking more like the Guardian Angels or Shomrim. I'm not very familiar with these units up north.

Basically, create a buffer and reduce interactions with the formal police for a lot of the minor stuff. Freeing up cops to handle more important crimes. But the main thing is to reduce the frequency of police and civilian interactions that could turn deadly.

Hey, it's what we do in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The issue with that (I mean, beyond the fact that you're making militias) is that police are often tasked with minor incidents because of reasons other than "no one else is there to do it".

Traffic violations for example are major sources of revenue for cities and while a lot of that could in theory be handled informally it probably also would be a major loss to cities if nothing else changed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How do you get oversight when the public broadly agrees with the idea that "existing while black" is a crime?

I wouldn't say that's inherently true, or else you wouldn't get these hyper balkanized communities like Ferguson et all.

The issue is really that in areas with unrest there's a lot of public support (at least usually*) for oppressing minorities, and there's a large disinterest in consolidation of police to some higher level (state, national, etc).

*NYC being the exception, although that seems to be an issue of institutional inertia rather than everyone (outside of Staten Island) saying "gently caress the blacks".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Omi-Polari posted:

That's a good point. But would increasing police-citizen interaction make those interactions better? I'm not so sure.

And this isn't unprecedented. The kinds of organizations I'm talking about (like Shomrim) already exist and are unarmed. We talk about black self-government and self-policing, but people seem really scared of what that would look like in practice. But why not?

The basic existence for Shomrim (at least in Israel) seems to be to prevent miscegenation so I don't know if that's the best example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

:staredog:

That's not going to be treated as equivalent at all because I'm pretty sure most people consider their religious beliefs to not be a matter of choice in nearly the same way as a job.

Depends if you're Muslim apparently.

• Locked thread