Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I hope someone reads this thread when it's all said and done and it changes the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

meat sweats posted:

I think cops are overpaid for a job mostly staffed by washed-out high school jocks with community college degrees in a fake field, whose daily workload is mostly writing traffic tickets and bullshitting with each other at coffee shops. I don't know why you think I would hide this, based on my previous posts in the thread. It is a fact that many cops make 3 or 4 times the rate of professions requiring comparable skills. Some don't. None of them should abuse their police power. Is there something you disagree with here?

What are these other jobs and other skills

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

cheese posted:

Lets see, basic proficiency with a variety of equipment, ability to follow orders and a chain of command, willingness to be a team player and adopt an "us vs them" attitude, sense of loyalty and camaraderie, working knowledge of regulations and laws that apply to daily activities, and fortitude to withstand hours of sheer boredom while remaining "ready to go" during an emergency? I'd say that sounds a lot like a grunt in the US army. Lets be generous and call it an E5 Sergeant with a pay rate of 26k a year and benefits.

I'm not sure I could put down most of that on an application.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

wixard posted:

I guess I don't get why the police perspective needs to be involved in deciding what the community is concerned about. The police involved in any of the board's recommendations/decisions/questions would get a chance to tell their side when the concerns of the oversight board were brought to the police, after they filtered through a judge.

Maybe I should point out, I'm not viewing the oversight board as a body that gets to directly make policy or discipline officers, I think it's the best way for the community to have a chance at figuring out what exactly is going on as they are being policed, and from there their problems go through the proper channels if they have a leg to stand on. I'm picturing a situation where the civilians basically do the legwork of oversight, and then filter any concerns they have through a judge. It seems like filtering it through both police and a judge wouldn't help the civilians, and the police on the board introduce very real possibilities to undermine the process, whether by being misleading about specific incidents to the board, or just reporting the minutes of meetings up the chain so coverups or spin can start early.

So cops have no spokesperson til after the fact. Gotcha.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

"Sure, every once in a while innocent bystanders get hosed down with bullets. But let's focus on what's really important here: gutting pensions and salaries!"

I'd be more likely to gun down an innocent person if my pension and/or salary got hosed up so it's pretty relevant.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Main Paineframe posted:

Since internal affairs is made up of police employees and answers solely to police leadership, the effectiveness of any given IA department depends entirely on the mindset, management, and corruption level of the department they're part of. lovely corrupt police departments whose leadership is mostly concerned with busting heads and covering up misconduct generally have IA departments mostly concerned with justifying the head-busting and sweeping misconduct under the rug. Even at good police departments, though, the tight brotherhood and "us vs them" mentality common among police officers means that cops are generally not the best people to investigate other cops.

Are you a cop how do you know this

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ImAMinister posted:

This is a strange derail

It's what what happens when GBS and D&D finish circle jerking themselves. Like when you bust a nut you gotta take a break unless you're a stud like me. We are just in the middle of jerkoff sessions.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
More people want to kill cops than your average civilian. Their paranoia seems a little justified.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

E-Tank posted:

So is Ableist playing devil's advocate, or does he legit believe that cops can do no wrong and we are blessed when they kill only our dogs and not us?

He didn't say that at all tho so what are you really asking here

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ImAMinister posted:

I don't think I've ever seen that argument and I spend an inordinate amount of time reading about and watching videos of police brutality. Not to say that people DON'T make that argument, but I'd like to see an example.

You should probably get out of your house and away from your computer more you loving weirdo.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

How about when the dog's locked up in a cage/kennel? Is there still a reasonable concern that the dog could spontaneously break loose, clamp its jaw on a cop's leg, and cause the cops to fall victim to an ambush by the VC?

The recent outbreak of dogs getting shot up while in their kennel would suggest that yes the dog is dangerous anyway.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
So what terrible deeds have the police done to you guys specifically, or are all of your personal anecdote anti cop stories just "I saw" or "I heard"?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7dFMbubxr4

To answer your question despite it (and all your contributions) being worthless, I've seen a lot of kids get their lives hosed over by a cop who decided to provoke them, or arrest a kid one day for something less serious than what they let another kid off for the next.

You answered me with an "I saw."

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

Hi bitch, let's say I had a personal anecdote of police abuse that happened to me. What would your response be?

Give me one and let's find out.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

No, gently caress you.

Lol ok guy. Keep fighting the good fight.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Are people allowed to oppose nuclear war if they haven't personally been nuked? How about rape? 'you only heard about your sister getting raped eh? What a lame anecdote.' Are you allowed to support the CDC's efforts to prevent epidemics if you never even got SARS? If a restaurant has a zero health rating from the health board are you allowed avoid it you haven't gotten food poisoning yet? Etc etc.

I'm not sure even how you think asking people if they oppose bad things that haven't personally happened to them is some kind of masterstroke? Everyone in a society opposes and works to prevent bad things that haven't happened to them. Cops enforce laws regarding crimes they aren't victims of that were legislated by non victims of that crime. At best most legislators are only going to hear an 'anecdote' from a victim of that crime giving testimony when they're drafting the bill.

Are you really putting your complaints about the cops on the same level as nuclear weapons?

Lol ok bub.

Bring up the holocaust next.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mr. Nice! posted:

Speed limits aren't too low. People overestimate their driving skills and are generally lovely aggressive drivers. If people followed the speed limits and maintained a safe distance, traffic would flow just fine. Instead people follow too closely and speed. This leads to a few slowing/speeding up motions at the front of the pack which has a shockwave effect similar to a sonic boom on the rest of traffic.

Whatever pig.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

KernelSlanders posted:

Cole's gone. His entire justification for his beliefs was based on the premise that police abuse is extremely rare (rarer than we know police being killed is). That's why he demanded we provide him with personal stories because the types of abuse we're discussing are so rare it's clearly never happened to any one of us. When six or so of us responded, he ran away.

No I'm right here bro. I've even posted since all of those stories.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

KernelSlanders posted:

I didn't mean physically gone. I meant you've checked out of the conversation since you promptly ignored the stories you asked for and went on to low effort mockery and name calling.

That's the sum total of your contributions since then.

You're like a courtroom scribe.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

meat sweats posted:

You cannot confidently state any such thing. "Surely none of MY friends could be evil!" is exactly what allows this behavior to go unchecked.

Lol

He should be paranoid of good friends without proof but cops are assholes for being paranoid.

Guilty til proven innocent right?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Randbrick posted:

No doubt the department wants to case this as a few bad apples bad applin', but for such a thing to be possible requires an inexcusable level of managerial and administrative neglect.

Its really not that hard to putz off in any career field and get away with it dude.

Like I know you really want to hate cops for everything but you're being unrealistically nit picky.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Randbrick posted:

Are you really prepared to excuse this level of malfeasance as simple slacking? From detectives working a violent crimes or sexual violence beat?

Really?

Yes. Why does it have to be more than that?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Zwiftef posted:

Here, I'll help you out because you obviously don't know poo poo about the NOPD:
The NOPD is already under a consent decree because of systematic civil rights violations. 20 years ago, after a woman reported an officer beating a kid to the cops, the officer paid someone to murder her. They also had a brisk drug dealing business operating in the precinct. OPP (Orleans Parish Prison which, to be fair, is run by the sheriff) is also under a consent decree because it is notorious even among prisons for prison violence and bad behavior by the guards. A few years back there were prisoners strolling out of it down to the french quarter and documenting it for Facebook.

What I'm saying is that the NOPD is literally the largest gang on the streets of New Orleans and the IG is promising more stories like this one as he examines other units.

Dear DND, aside from the snarky beginning this is generally how you engage people you disagree with.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Cole seriously thought the NOPD were all a bunch of good 'ole boys with a hard job.

No I didn't but I want to ask which way you want the conversation to progress when you post things like this? Shitposting? Flaming?

I basically said "you are right I am wrong" but I guess that's not how I'm supposed to post here?

You buttsniffer.

Cole fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 14, 2014

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Solkanar512 posted:

So you think that anger towards officers who are ignoring their duty to investigate rape cases is unwarranted? Is that because you believe that rape just isn't that big of a deal or what? Why is it "unrealistically nit picky" to expect police officers assigned to investigate violent crime to actually spend time investigating violent crime?

You still haven't cleared anything up. Why is anger towards NOPD unwarranted in this situation?

When did I say its bad to be angry at those guys? Or do you just want me to say that? I just said its easy to putz off st work and you got "but its ok!" out of that? Stop filling in blanks that don't exist.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Loling at how you accuse someone of flaming then edit your post to add a juvenile insult at the end :allears:

Sorry I thought that's how I was supposed to post since rational conversation doesnt appeal to you :ohdear:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Solkanar512 posted:

Right here.

No, filing paperwork incorrectly, as I read the situation before someone corrected me without being a shithead, isn't a big deal and you're being nitpicky. If you follow the conversation youll see where I said I was wrong.

I AM AGREEING WITH YOU DND, LEARN TO TAKE YES FOR AN ANSWER.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

DARPA posted:

You thought people were nit picking regarding an officer that tossed a report about a raped two year old having an std. Or an officer assigned to investigate rapes thought simple rape shouldn't even be a crime.

And I was misinformed. Instead of what YOU are doing right now someone actually corrected me .

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Cichlid the Loach posted:

They weren't filing paperwork incorrectly, they were not producing it in the first place. For like 85% of their cases, there was no investigation and there exist no records whatsoever beyond the initial report. They were literally doing absolutely nothing. A few times they were asked for reports from a few years back, and they created them same-day and backdated them.

Which I got corrected on and immediately conceded my argument so now you're just doing post game coverage.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Goddamn do you guys just never win arguments so you don't know how to handle it?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I saw the edit and it's relevant that there is a gun for every nine out of ten people in the US when you combine it with such things as the fact that our media is also fear driven, among many other factors.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

Hopefully the coverage will educate parents that they need to tell their kids not to play wth realistic toy guns in public.

This type of thinking is in line with why McDonald's has to warn that their coffee is hot.

Americans are also, as a whole, pretty loving stupid. So factor that into why we are scared of everything.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Sharkie posted:

I'll have to get pedantic here and bring up that the warning is a piece of cya put on there after a woman spilled McDonald's coffee in her lap and got third degree burns to her thighs and genitals and required skin grafts. You can look up the NWS pictures if you want. She won the lawsuit in part because McDonalds knew they were serving their coffee too hot, having settled several similar cases out of court.

I stand correct on the fact, but my point still stands.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Nathilus posted:

No, it doesn't. McDonald's had to stop making their coffee so hot because it was way too goddamn hot, not because americans are stupid, and it has nothing to do with the kind of thinking that "maybe you shouldn't play with realistic looking guns in public" is an example of. Everything in your post is straight out wrong except "Americans are also, as a whole, pretty loving stupid" which is correct.

Well that was literally my point... Which still stands.

So you uh... Owned me by explaining my point. Congrats?

Calm down buddy.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kaal posted:

A threat to other cops maybe, but it's a stretch to extend that threat to anyone else.

Why are you devaluing the lives of any group of people?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ActusRhesus posted:

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/

do you suggest that the number of officers killed should equal the number of suspects killed?

He is saying that if more officers died he would be ok with the statistics.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ActusRhesus posted:

your logic is faulty...an increase in officer fatalities would make them MORE likely to deploy force.

Yeah. But it could possibly even out the dead people ratio.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Talmonis posted:

Better safe than sorry right?

Which is a great argument for not doing what you want.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If one additional officer getting shot is the price for two or three or ten members of the general public not getting shot because they were reaching for a wallet, who wouldn't prefer that outcome?

How about we kill you and promise to take guns from cops.

Will you be ok with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Talmonis posted:

I'd rather they use discretion rather than go in guns blazing. Again. If discretion in the use of lethal force leads to a few more cops dying in the line of duty (the threat of which really is the only reason it is a "duty" at all), so be it. At least they have funds for that poo poo. Where's the pension for the family of every non-violent offender they gun down for not putting their hands up fast enough? Or too fast? Or talking back? Or running? Seriously, gently caress your hero worship of the armed thugs across the country.

That doesn't answer the question you quoted at all.

I'll just assume you would rather one cop die over one of anything else.

• Locked thread