Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
To maybe help other threads not devolve into alcohol and music chat every few pages, we're going to try having a general off-topic chat thread here.

Notes:
  • While this thread is going to be more relaxed than a normal D&D thread, try to keep things at least a bit above GBS-levels of relaxed. Don't report people for spelling errors or caps stuff, but please also don't spam a hundred images or generally try to make the thread unreadable.
  • Please don't turn this into a clearing house for drama and grudges.
  • This is not LF, and LF is never coming back.

If this doesn't look like it's working out, this thread will go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Carried over from the USpol thread:

Jagchosis posted:

As long as Auspol isn't allowed to post in it.
Actually, Auspol has their own chat thread in GBS, and since its inception, Auspol D&D has been over 300% more on-topic and less prone to video game derails. It's a model of thread efficiency!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Joementum posted:

It's a shame that Thompson became a caricature of himself in his later writing Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail: 1972 is still the best campaign memoir ever written and you wish that he still had that energy for Better Than Sex, his book about the 1992 campaign, but it's mostly scans of faxes that he sent to Clinton staffers while drunk.

It kind of annoyed me that what felt like half of Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail was excuses for why he hadn't written it yet or for how his publisher was getting mad at him for missing deadlines.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Cheekio posted:

You're supposed to report people for spelling errors and caps stuff normally? The more you know.

I'd prefer people didn't, but you know, whatever.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
The Finn gave (I think) the top 100 posters in the soccer forum a soccer ball for the World Cup.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

paragon1 posted:

So, I have been wondering, are we only allowed to make political threads in Debate Disco, or can we make a thread debating anything?

I'm envisioning some kind of booze/burger argument thunderdome.

Joementum posted:

Posting new threads is against the rules in D&D.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
That actually does sound like a good thread for GWS, but you should PM bartolimue and ask him if it's kosher.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

paragon1 posted:

I think it used to be a forum rule but XyloJW appears to have swept that last remnant of the old order away.

Woah buddy I can't even pronounce Middle East, I'm not changing any rules there. Talk to Xandu, evilweasel, and Brown Moses about that.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Explain the rules thread being authored by yourself then mister. :colbert:

Don't think you can use other mods as a veil of legitimacy for your arbitrary and authoritarian rule.

Oh the rules thread? Yeah but there's still the secret rules thread. It lays it all out pretty well.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Professor Jared Diamond traced old-man-pants syndrome back to the advent of agriculture and notes that the native tribes of PNG don't suffer from pants at all.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I'm prejudiced against Australians

e: like really, I think I need to take a vacation there and get over it

An Australian rules football player just got canned because pictures came out of him pissing in his own mouth.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

he's a rugby league player

I honestly don't know the difference.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Speaking of which I need a new avatar. Someone give me a holler if something good shows up in the cartoons thread.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Oh I see, he's not very bright then.

I've heard the criticism of Louis because of whatever rape plot or something, evidently the same as Chantilly has. Are you denying that a nebulous number of people on Tumblr might not like Louis CK? Is that really an argument you're trying to have?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I'm very glad we had this tedious discussion. It was very illuminating. Thank you.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

You engaged fishmech, you know?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I think a lot of comedians can be conservative and just leave it out of their act. It's not like every comedian is outright pushing progressive ideas with every bit. Sometimes it's just goofy slice of life, apolitical poo poo.

Whenever people bring up conservative comedians they bring up comedians who make their whole bit about being conservative which of course that's not funny.

lothar_ posted:

:stonk: You can't do that on the Internet!

R mute is a reasonable dude.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I only enjoy ideologically correct media.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Can we just redirect Fishmech's posts to a gaschamber thread again? There's threads here where 1/3 of a page is just JERK DETECTED.

Much like embedding music into threads, I believe that's no longer an option.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

R. Mute posted:

same. the only show worth watching is the one where a rotating head of stalin reads the scum manifesto

*invites beautiful woman back to his apartment, turns down the lights, pours some fine wine, puts on a record of traditional Khmer folk songs as played by the survivors of the Cambodian genocide.*

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

actually, good comedy is funny

Yeah the whole "comedy punches up" thing is a silly trope. Plenty of good comedy is mean spirited or just doesn't punch up or down, it's irrelevant.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

XyloJW posted:

Yeah the whole "comedy punches up" thing is a silly trope. Plenty of good comedy is mean spirited or just doesn't punch up or down, it's irrelevant.

Assuming by good comedy you mean comedy that accomplished the goal of being comic or funny and not comedy that is ideologically correct. Because if that's your definition of good comedy, boy howdy does Daily Kos have some knee slappers.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Well mod opinions like this sure does provide insight into why GBS is "lol niggers and faggots and kikes".

Yes if only we punished for that, repeatedly and often.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
There are a lot of bad SNL sketches, but then there are a lot of really good ones.

Victoria Jackson is incredibly crazy and dumb. I think I heard that they thought that was her "character" when they hired her.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

XyloJW posted:

SedanChair posted:

Oh, okay, load me up with examples of funny comedy that makes fun of poor people and minorities.

I'm saying comedy is not dependent on the politics. You're asking for explicitly political comedy that you will subjectively think is funny, which is utterly missing my point. There's no "punching up" with slapstick, which admittedly isn't a very sophisticated form of comedy but it's easy to discuss. It's, as you say, making funny faces. It's bereft of politics, and thus, there probably are plenty of conservative comedians, who have a very good sense of what will make people laugh, who just entirely avoid politics.

There's also shock comedy, which again, not terribly sophisticated and more often done poorly than done well, but still proves the point that a joke can be mean spirited and funny.

I'm saying the whole "comedy has to punch up to be funny" is not true.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
He looks the right age to have played Jesse Pinkman. Hm.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Malcolm Somewhere in the Middle

Hahaha.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Joementum posted:

The posts people get reported for making are almost always incredibly boring, so it's not really a mark of pride to top that ranking.

True.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Back when the internet was young, I found a website selling exotic meats. It was a plain html website with just the choices of meat, a description, a picture, and "email for price and shipping information." Buffalo steaks and buffalo burgers at the top, then ground emu chuck. Then lion steaks and lion ribs. Hippo steaks and hippo roasts. Ground giraffe meat. And at the bottom, "We have acquired an elephant. Transporting elephant meat is illegal in many countries, so please verify that you have a way to receive it before contacting us. We will cut to specification."

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Also, I like TAS Batman. It's very clear in a lot of quiet ways that Bruce Wayne does quite a lot to clean up Gotham the hard way, from social services to giving felons a second chance to college scholarships to encouraging public works from other rich people to environmental sanctuaries to taking over and cleaning up more toxic companies.

I love Batman TAS. If anyone loves Batman and Justice League and other DC Animated Series, you should definitely check out Young Justice on Netlfix. I just found this show a week ago and it's awesome.

By the way, Australia has a major city named Batman, with its own representative in their Parliament. Imagine having like Bob Johnson (D-Batman) on CSPAN.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Is there a story behind the name?

Yeah the (white) guy who explored it was named John Batman, and he declared it Batmania. But then later they changed the name to Melbourne, after the then-Prime Minister of Britain, depriving the world of a great name for the second largest city in Australia. Still they named a suburb Batman so that's something.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Cheekio posted:

Wait, I think people are glossing over the fact that before it was called Melbourne it was BATMANIA.

There's still a major suburb called Batman. Here's the best part: the current rep for Batman is the SHADOW MINISTER OF JUSTICE.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Feeney

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Obligatory answer: Red Tornado

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Uh it's not really serious, chaossamus. I mean the jingoism is real, but no one is actually organizing a boycott.

If it surprises you, you should look up freedom fries, except I know you already know about that.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

ChaosSamusX posted:

Freedom Fries was about something semi-serious (it was still a really dumb move). This would have been about a friendly sporting match, which is why I was so shocked.

Freedom Fries also involved actually changing the name of stuff in the House cafeteria and places around the country doing that, whereas this is a few tweets from people that apparently don't even serve/eat Belgian waffles.

Plus, I see you in the cartoon thread all the time, absolutely nothing should shock you.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Probably like this

Joementum posted:

NYT review of Belgian men, 1882.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

euphronius posted:

Quantity does not matter quality does. The US needs better training and it's best athletes need to play football.

They do. :confused:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I was to understand that the only real danger of asbestos (chrysotile) is that the fibers are small enough to breathe in, but too large to easily breathe out, and they build up in your lungs and cause all kinds of awfulness. I don't know that drinking water with asbestos in it is really as drastic a concern. I mean, obviously fix that poo poo ASAP, but I would think you guys did the right thing by not trying to remove it without proper equipment.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

viscous wolves posted:

Apparently it's also bad for you if you ingest it, it can cause various types of cancer all throughout the digestive tract.

I double checked after I posted, and the World Health Organization says there's no real evidence of that, at least as of 2002.

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/asbestos.pdf

quote:

EFFECTS ON HUMANS

The health hazards associated with the inhalation of asbestos in the occupational environment have long been recognized and include asbestosis, bronchial carcinoma, malignant mesothelioma of the pleura and peritoneum, and possibly cancers of the gastrointestinal tract and larynx. In contrast, little convincing evidence has been found of the carcinogenicity of ingested asbestos in epidemiological studies of populations supplied with drinking-water containing high concentrations of asbestos (1,15,19–26). Moreover, the ability of asbestos fibres ingested in drinking-water to migrate through the walls of the gastrointestinal tract in sufficient numbers to cause adverse local or systemic effects is the subject of considerable disagreement (1,27,28).

In ecological population studies (1,20,22–25) (i.e. studies in which individual exposures were not estimated and population mobility was not adequately addressed), no consistent evidence was found of an association between cancer mortality or incidence and the ingestion of asbestos in drinking-water. In an analytical epidemiological (case–control) study that was inherently more sensitive than the ecological studies, there was no consistent evidence of a cancer risk associated with the ingestion of asbestos in drinking-water in Puget Sound, where levels up to 200 MFL were observed (26).

CONCLUSIONS

Although asbestos is a known human carcinogen by the inhalation route, available epidemiological studies do not support the hypothesis that an increased cancer risk is associated with the ingestion of asbestos in drinking-water. Moreover, in extensive feeding studies in animals, asbestos has not consistently increased the incidence of tumours of the gastrointestinal tract. There is therefore no consistent, convincing evidence that ingested asbestos is hazardous to health, and it is concluded that there is no need to establish a guideline for asbestos in drinking-water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I learned something :)

My aunt was telling me that her city got several million dollars from the state of California to build a state-of-the-art high school, and they got the whole thing built with plans to add on the gymnasium afterwards. Classes start, and a few weeks later they start preparing the space behind the school to build the gym, when they find there's a seam of serpentinite that runs underneath the whole thing. The whole school is closed down and has to be torn down and rebuilt somewhere else.

• Locked thread