Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ What is there to say, though?

euphronius posted:

I didn't see anything on the recent IP issues. Can we just not handle iP threads anymore.

The Mideast thread can handle it.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Also, I've often wondered what we might have heard from him if he'd lived long enough to see the 2008 campaign.

He knew he had become the bitter old crank that his politics had always opposed, if only other old men would follow his lead. His spirit lives on in LF-posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Unzip and Attack posted:

Everyone's always blowing Reagan and his "rhetoric" and what not but aside from coining a few masterful terms like welfare queen, he wasn't some incredible orator. People worship him because the modern conservative movement absolutely needs a contemporary conservative figure to lionize and for historical reasons outside his control, he won by default. I mean poo poo, Reagan's own policies failed the 2008 "Reagan Test" that was supposed to be some pseudo-religious standard of devotion. It's not that Reagan was anything special, it's just that his target audience is made up of the worst scum in the country who willingly praise him for poo poo he didn't even do or say.

Also, Chingon IPA is the best IPA. It should be illegal to make beer this delicious.

There you go again...*applause, all the votes*

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Exclamation Marx posted:

most of the brit comics i like are left

What the hell would a Tory comic even be like?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No Red Blooded American should care about soccer, Senator Cruz!

So what if it is popular, this is a Republic not a Democracy!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I sense...regionalism chat...

The blacks and Mexicans skew the average :freep:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
'What are you spraying me with!?!'

"RUM! So no one will believe your story! hahahaha!"

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I guess the "milquetoast centrist" flavour of liberal would fit well in the LibDems. And yeah, if Obama were Canadian or British, what are the odds that he'd be a Tory?

He'd be New Labour (not that there is much of a difference)

loquacius posted:

e: Also yeah I can say from experience that Amtrak is the best way to get between Boston and NYC unless you have a specific reason to drive it

Yup, this goes for the entire Northeast Corridor (which I think is Boston to DC)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goatse.cx posted:

liberals are so loving stupid

Two sides of the same coin.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chantilly Say posted:

Anecdotally, in New Jersey US history I got a nice treatment of labor history, with a lot about populist movements, post-Civil-War domestic politics, a documentary about the Homestead Strike, excerpts from The Jungle... good stuff.

God bless our NJEA liberal indoctrination factory :patriot:

Sure in 9th grade I hated it but it was important information.

We got to watch 'Newsies'!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Someone should remake 'Bush was Right' by the Right Brothers

Rising Productivity
Jobless Recovery
Marx was right!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

comes along bort posted:

King of the Hill gets Texas pretty well but Squidbillies is the superior southern culture parody cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdFicSjsI0

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chantilly Say posted:

Finally reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 after all the recommendations and I cannot believe even Rolling Stone was willing to give HST a job doing this poo poo. Just got past the part where he drunkenly lends his press pass to an ex-con who gets drunk and assaults Ed Muskie and into the part where he goes off on a tangent about Muskie being addicted to speed which was complete bullshit he was just spewing to meet his goal for column inches.

The best part is that after Watergate the Muskie people started thinking Hunter was an agent for Nixon

Also McCarthy should have taken HST's advice and done a photo-op drinking beer on the beach in a Grateful Dead tee

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chantilly Say posted:

poo poo, from what HST writes in the book Muskie's people already thought that. Doesn't help that Watergate proved Nixon really had played some dirty tricks against Muskie's campaign, not that they needed to.

My conspiracy theory is that Nixon knew about Eagleton's mental health issues before McCarthy did

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Breakfast All Day posted:

Zizek is the Sokal hoax made flesh for post-Marxist continental poli-phil. He's also the ultimate liberal: a fashionable and placating way to reconcile a life of consumption with your revolutionary ethics.

I would have launched my Red Uprising, too if it wasn't for that pesky Zizek!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone's got a gimmick

Hitchens was an atheist contrarian

Discendo Vox, well, it's right there

I'm postmodern with some nihilism

computerparts is pedantic and contrarian

the list goes on...

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

moller posted:

I thought your gimmick was relating everything to Adam Curtis

His work is a big part of my postmodern approach, but there's some David Lynch there, too.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

moller posted:

I sort of resent Curtis because his films should be the most rambling, insane, Bob Wilson-style conspiracy theories but instead most of it seems completely plausible and well-researched.

I like finding little things elsewhere that support his work, like this Disney cartoon that fits in really well with the second part in 'Century of the Self'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYvr28-5QKw

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Jowns posted:

i did that and i still don't have a recognised gimmick, what gives

:justpost:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

R. Mute posted:

uh, that's already my gimmick ???

the content of the posts builds your brand

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

I wonder if any of Abramoff's old pals helped get them across the line.

Didn't they start accepting Bitcoin in the last days of the fundraiser?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cheekio posted:

What's everyone's pet theory for why we invaded Iraq? I'd guess it was basically an expensive area denial against Russia/China.

Economic stimulus

That is why ISIL is now driving around in late model Ford trucks.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rscott posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1912398/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I thought this was a pretty good movie, kind of LFy

There's an interesting bit of restraint/censorship in this film: the 'protagonists' never kill any police officers

R. Mute posted:

we tortured some folks?

Disco Stu doesn't advertise

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
By confirming that we tortured folks and might have overreacted a little to 9/11 Obama is just revealing his antiAmerican sentiment and influences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB5Lttr53Vk

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Huge Liability posted:

This guy might be an exceptional case because he's stable in pretty much every other part of his life. A good friend, a great dad, and a successful businessman. But get him talking about anything remotely political and it's a torrent of absurd bullshit.

This won't last if he gets nailed for tax fraud / evasion

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Yes that's why they need to be domesticated. Also bears.

The Russians domesticated foxes in like five generations, let's get on domesticating some of the cooler, cuter animals.

This is actually a point Jared Diamond makes in 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' - all the species that are amenable to domestication (without genetic engineering) already have been. Many species can be partially domesticated (elephants, racoons, sheep) but this doesn't become a hereditary trait. Canines are present in every human society and their domestication might be a symbiosis that predates homo-sapiens, much like the use of fire.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

House cats?

Are house cats really domesticated though? It seems more like a symbiotic relationship- we give them food, they kill pests and we enjoy their company (:toxogond:). Cats can live independently of humans as well, most breeds of dog not so much.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Corrupt Politician posted:

That wasn't what Diamond said. His claim was that all animals whose domestication was both practical and beneficial to pre-modern people have already been domesticated.

For example, elephants weren't domesticated because although trained adults are extremely useful, it takes them like 15 years to grow up, so if you want to raise one you'll go broke feeding a giant baby for over a decade before it becomes a functional work animal. It's much easier to just capture a young adult in the wild and train it, which is what people have historically done. If you really wanted to domesticate elephants and had vast resources and time, you could selectively breed them just like horses and cows, but nobody's ever done this.

As a man married to a former sheep farmer, I can tell you sheep are 100% domesticated. They're actually the oldest domestic animal aside from dogs.

Thanks for the details, it's been years since I read it. Maybe I'm thinking of goats, not sheep.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Humans domesticate themselves. One of the features of this process is the retention of juvenile traits (neoteny). If Freud was writing 'Civilization and its Discontents' today he would note how much US political discourse sounds like a petulant teenager, a mass stunted emotional development that serves to keep society stable/static ('You're not my dad/God! You can't tell me what to do!')

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Demonstrate "practical" and "beneficial."

You already gave the example of self-selection for canines. Most other domesticated animals are docile herbivores (sheep, cows, llamas). Pigs are omnivorous but their domestication comes from eating our waste food. Horses are the only domesticated animal that comes to mind that would first be 'broken', but their practical benefits are obvious (Diamond also talks about how linguistic clues suggest the people in the Caucasus were the first to domesticate the horse and proceeded to dominate Europe before recorded history)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Once we had rudimentary tools 70,000 BCE, all bets are off for aggresive small animals aggresive towards us. Also, I prefer to follow genetic evidence rather than linguistic clues.

Other apes have rudimentary tools, and our genus harnessed fire, not just our species - so there are alot of different factors in play. As I said, I think domestication of dogs started as a symbiotic relationship - wolf packs who followed hominids (or vice versa, since canines have much better sense of smell)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yet only our species hosed our genus extinct. And again, where you say follow, I say hunt. Following comes after enough failed hunting that the most aggressive hunters are dead.

Why eat dogs when you can eat megafauna? The dogs can help bring one down while doubling as a reserve source of food. Also we didn't just interbreed the rest of our genus to extinction, it was more like the colonization of the Americas- a mixture of murder and marriage.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We are actually driving all the other great apes into extinction.

Edit Responses:

My Imaginary GF posted:

E: I should clarify. Where you say wolves followed humans, I say wolves hunted humans before they followed humans. And by that point, they're dog. Megafauna, such as what? Elephants?

E2:
Ask a Korean, I don't eat dog. It almost sounds as if...we domesticated our genus. And it doesn't fit the context to call it marriage. Marriage is the result of legal custom.

1) Mammoths come to mind, as well as giant elk, sloths, eagles and a bunch of other mammals that disappeared after the ice age (around the same time our species was definitely on every continent)

2) You might not eat dog because there are other meat/protein options and your culture has more empathy for the neoteny traits of dogs. But if you were a survivalist after SHTF you might change your mind about Fido. 'Marriage' was being euphemistic - 'mating' works too and preserves my mnemonic!

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 7, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If they are so happy why won't they breed in captivity?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Early 20th Century psychology could write volumes on circumcision chat threads. We just need a time machine.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What's up with the little grenades next to some usernames?

Edit: I have one, too!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The SDP - Liberal Alliance led by David Owen and David Sterling was one of the best running jokes on Spitting Image.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Demons kidnapped my baby for big pharma experiments and replaced him with a changeling!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bill Kristol should be put in a nursing home to everyone's benefit.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Yeah psychology is still very much in its "leeching the bad humours" phase and I imagine whoever treats psych problems 500 years in the future will recoil in horror at the practices of our era.

I envy your belief in human progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why can't doomsday scenarious ever be fun?

What time is it? ADVENTURE TIME!

• Locked thread