Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Glazius posted:

The Quiet Year

Never heard of this game before. Looked into it and it seems pretty cool. The way its structured makes it seem like it'd work well for play by post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Any comedy game where bad puns are a valid, potentially explosive, and possibly unintended source of damage is a good game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Glazius posted:

The Quiet Year

Glazius, I want to thank you for sharing your story, as it made me aware of this game's existence. My group just got done with a session and we ended up playing this after I idly suggested it. We only got through spring (we started late and fumbled around a bit as we're an IRC group), but it was quite awesome and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Here is the map at the end of spring

We're a community of a hundred or so whose abundant resource is learning, namely a great collection of tomes written by the Before-Men. The tomes are studied and kept safe by the Before-Learners, sages of the village who are wise in the ways of The Before. At the edge of a crumbled city of ancient towers, we make our home. Our village was once a self storage yard where the intact storage lockers now provide individual homes. We store our food in the husk of a metal vessel once used by the Before-Men to transport liquid fire, but we want for stone, weapons, wild game, and medicine.

The region is one of hills and mountains, nearby landmarks are many. To the north east can be seen The Wall of the Before-Men, a partially collapsed hydro-electric dam and the lake beyond. To the west is an old Observatory, once home to a different sect of Before-Learners it seems, but they were slain and the place pillaged. It was not the Ash Dwellers, however, for the bodies and structure we not burned. Nearby to the north west sits The Castle Ruin. To the east looms Mount Karkum, a mighty spire who shields those at its base from the morning sun. To the south rises the Great Ash Volcano.

Threats to us exist. The Jackals have been driven away, but the Ash Dwellers reside at the Ash Volcano. They are an insular people who worship the volcano as a god of destruction. They are to be feared, they are not to be trusted, but we may yet avoid conflict with them unlike the Jackals. An ill omen was seen early in the Spring as one morning the skies turned blood red for a time. Fearful we kept our few scrawny livestock indoors for a few days afterwards.

To see to our defense we've trained a modest militia and somewhat domesticated nearby wild dogs. However in the event of a dire conflict our greatest (and perhaps only true) weapon against attack is the Ancient Lance, a great cannon the Before Learners have recently restored to use, though spearheads for it are scarce and we cannot be sure how accurate its use would be.

In addition we've begun plans to restore The Castle to some semblance of use as a new home, and thus have started quarrying stone near Mount Karkum. The Castle is seen by our people as a monument to what our ancestors the Before Men could accomplish, and remorseful reminder of how far we've fallen. Legend and rumor has it The Castle is occupied by a bearded, bare-foot man, though none among us can confirm his existence.

Recently the quarry work has unearthed a cave. A monster that was A-Man-Yet-Not-A-Man sprung from the cave, injuring one worker before the militia was able to dispatch it. Fearing more of these monsters, we hastily sealed the tunnel, and shifted our efforts, but we feel we cannot afford to find an entirely new place to quarry, so great is our need for this stone.

There have been a few minor internal conflicts, a traveler arrived, a young woman who tempted us with false promises that a beautiful land of plenty lay beyond the Ash Volcano. The Before-Learners declared her anathema and arbitrarily exiled those few of us who supported her suggestion of a migration past the Ash Dweller's territory. Many in the village felt this decision was too harsh and that we should've reasoned with those lead astray by this Siren. We mourned our lost fellows, though a few feared we were becoming as insular as the Ash Dwellers themselves.

A possible relief for our lack of food has arisen in strange new mushrooms we've noticed growing nearby, and currently we work to see if they are safely edible and can be farmed. Other than that things are quiet and work continues, the only minor drama being a squabble between two of the levy, when one young man struck another for abandoning his post to be with his lover. The youngster seems to have understood his error and is making amends, but thus far remains ostracized somewhat.

Thus ends Spring. We hope to begin the long process of rebuilding The Castle by midsummer, may it shelter us from that yet to come.

In short, The Quiet Year owns. Everyone was pleasantly surprised at how cool and fun it was. It has a very "King of Dragon Pass" feel to it IMO. I'm tempted to start up a play by post of it as I feel this is one game that might actually be well suited to the format.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 3, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Quiet Year is a neat little collaborative world-building/storytelling game, not really a traditional RPG.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Swagger Dagger posted:

Literally nobody that just plays RPGs every now and then know who Zak S or RPG Pundit are.

I'd never heard of either until today. Then again I mostly stick to here or occasionally google search RPG.net for specific games that've caught my interest. :shrug:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

zachol posted:

Does someone have more on this? I think I completely missed something. What is WotC buying their silence about?

About D&D Next not being the second coming of their personal Interpretation Gygax's great vision. Or so I would guess.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So does this mean we'll soon get edition wars for Patherfinder? :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

sebmojo posted:

Mongoose Traveller is a superb translation, and it isn't too bad - you are best served making up a whole party of characters together though so you can run their development year by year and work out connections. It's basically a minigame.

Yeah, and honestly it takes no longer that roll up a Traveller character than it does to comb through a 3.0 or beyond D&D/d20 book and put together a character. Also, if you really want, I'm pretty sure at least 2-3 character generation programs exist for every edition of traveller.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; unrelated (other than it being one of the games on the ENnie page), but has anyone played Warbirds? The concept seems pretty neat.

I own it, but sadly haven't played it. It seems pretty cool and I'd love to give it a go one day, either as-is or quickly reskinnef into Crimson Skies the RPG.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, that's the reason I'm interested in it.

If you've had a chance to read through it at least, how was it?

I'm at work right now so I can't give a long answer but Its simple while still offering a bit more choice than just "roll pilot vs pilot to see who wins" (though that is the core mechanic boiled down). The plane customization is great and the action is fast paced and pulpy.

One mechanic I especially like is that the players, being Aces, might be shot down, but are automatically assumed to bail out just fine, that is unless specific circumstances dictate otherwise (such as bailing out above Azure's Murk) or the player specifically opts to "put their life on the line", which makes them fight better but are suddenly very mortal.

I can talk more about it after work in 6 or so hours, if you have questions. That way I can glance through it and refresh my memory.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 15, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Alright, I'm home. Lemon Curdistan, was there anything specific you were curious about regarding Warbirds?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It would be an appropriate venue for the B-Baller Dungeon World playbook to display his skill.

Dungeon Jam

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Apparently Mike Mearls believes there is a massive SA conspiracy to use gender and race issues to slander zak.

Well than its official for me. gently caress Dungeons and Dragons 5E.

Kill all Elfgames. Let Storygames rule the earth.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Fuego Fish posted:

Apparently Mearls assumes that all of SA is FYAD or possibly 4chan or something, because he seems to be under the impression that we do nothing but post violent hate screeds non-stop all day every day, twice on weekends.

Maybe he plays EVE. :laugh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pfffttt. Lasers & Feelings redressed as Swords and Sorcery. If your game doesn't fit on one side of a single 8x11 with room for a bit of art, why should I bother? :smuggo:

That said playing a few JRPGs lately, especially FF XIV has given me a bunch of neat ideas for 13th Age style boss monster moves.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Darksaber posted:

"Well officer, the last time we saw Galaga, they were getting ready to go to their weekly role playin' game thing, and they were really excited! Said they had somethin' called "Titan Extreme" to show to their players as a boss. Ain't heard a drat thing from them since then..."

Mind reader! :argh:

But yeah the lethality would certainly have to be toned down. I mean, unless you want Save-Or-Die mechanics that'd make even the most hardcore DnD grogs take pause.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mr. Maltose posted:

In a world where Golden Sky Stories exists all other fantasy needs to step up or shut up.

Funny way of spelling Ryuutama you got there.

Is that out yet? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mors Rattus posted:

In layout. There was a backer email on it just today!

Cool I wish I had heard about the Kickstarter before it ended.

• Locked thread