Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kellsterik posted:

So I was joking with one of my friends about how the Matrix is based on a very 90s idea of computers and hackers that can do anything, and imagining a medieval parody where literacy is the equivalent of programming as a rare and powerful skill, people who learn to read and write can perceive that the underlying "source code" of the world is textual narrative which can be manipulated by writing, movable type is a ruthlessly suppressed technology, fairies serve a similar role as Agents by controlling society through playing out predefined roles and archetypes and identifying literate deviants when they recognize and defy the story being played out...and around this time I stop laughing and go "wait, this is actually really cool."

I proceeded to re-read a setting I wrote up for the July contest last year with a sort of similar premise, and now I have a burning need to run The Matrix meets The Secret of Kells with rogue literates fighting the Man and hacking the planet with illuminated manuscripts in a surreal "Mythic Europe" type setting. I guess my question is, has "textpunk" been used yet?

This is, no lie, the actual plot of the anime Princess Tutu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kellsterik posted:

Princess Tutu (プリンセスチュチュ Purinsesu Chuchu) is a metafictional, ballet-themed magical girl, dramatic-musical anime series

Yes. It is also a series where (Serious, major spoilers:) faerie tales are real and anything anyone writes down becomes the truth, which is why anyone with the ability to write gets their hands cut off.

Everything in the first half of the show is about how the characters are literally puppets dancing on a string - the hero only saves the day because she's supposed to, tragedy strikes because its more interesting that way, and the prince becomes a puppet of the ravens because the local author thinks its hilarious, and all of this causes a major identity crises in half the cast, along with some serious attempts at breaking reality to get away from this rear end in a top hat's view of how stories should be. Ergo,

ProfessorCirno posted:

Princess Tutu is amazing.

EDIT: vvv sorry. Princess Tutu is important.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 3, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

NutritiousSnack posted:

They still, vainly, think 5e will sell as well as 3.5. Everything looks like it's going to do well, but only 4e well, and therefore fail in the eyes of Hasbro.

I really, really doubt that Next will sell as well as 4E did during its lifetime. I'd even Toxx myself that it won't, but that'd be disingenuous since 4E's specific sales numbers are completely unknown and Next's likely will be too.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ProfessorCirno posted:

FWIW, a simple group of links of "this is what these assholes do" would make things way easier.

Legit do you mind if I copy+paste this elsewhere to help point out why I'm not supporting this game?

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't set up/curate a repository for terrible people in this industry. Just a list of dudes and their offenses, things they've done and said, and stuff like that.

RPG_eBooks, except all the quotes are sourced and tagged.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

XyloJW posted:

I play elfgames and I have no idea who those people are and didn't even read the credits when I checked out the D&D Next PDF.

I came here to say I checked out the D&D Next PDF and it seems almost indistinguishable from 3.5. Was the last decade just a dream?

A horrible dream filled with Encounter powers and storygames.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bucnasti posted:

I'm sorry there's not a cool name and wikipedia page for this specific situation, perhaps it will later be called the Gau effect.
Either way, drawing attention to this just validates these people and will have the same kind of unintended consequences as the Streisand Effect.

Reene is 100% correct, but also this is literally the opposite of the Streisand Effect. The Streisand Effect is about hiding something and the internet spreading it anyway.

In this case, there is something hidden (Zak S is a horrible human being who actively makes the hobby worse) and we are trying to spread that. I can see how you are confused, but the Streisand Effect would be if we were the ones hiding it.

We want the Streisand Effect here, and in full throttle. Zak S and RPG Pundit do not deserve any kind of validation and are bad for the future of gaming.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

neonchameleon posted:

What's the specific stalking event people are talking about? I must have missed it, although I wish I was more surprised than I am :( And are there links to source documents?

You're not going to get a source document about private harassment, but there is an article one of the people he's stalked has written about it: http://gomakemeasandwich.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/dangerous-hatred-men-who-foment-misogyny-in-geekdom-twlong/

Zak S is the Rebellious Artist mentioned halfway down the article, mentioned in a "not naming names" method because he regularly searches his own name for anything said about him on the internet, and the author obviously does not want any further harassment than she's already had.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah but the gaming community is poo poo? If the opinion of the community as a whole gets to decide what is a good or right reaction I'm done gaming because I'm being told loud and clear that they don't want me around.

Fun fact! We are part of that gaming community, and your voice matters. Your reaction to these lovely people counts as part of the community reaction. Keep on keeping on, Maltose.

Captain Foo posted:

Neon, bucnasti, cyphoderous, and gnoll know what is up. Whoever said that gnoll's position was pushing poo poo onto other people was being disingenuous as hell. Play games and make people understand that games are fun! When they run across shitheads, they'll react appropriately. And no, you don't get decide what that is. The gaming community you're a part of does.

Sorry dude, but this is silencing bullshit. This subforum is part of the gaming community. When we run across shitheads, we will also react appropriately. That is what is happening, right now, right here. You're just getting mad because it's happening in your space, and that's making you upset.

And that's stupid.

The gaming community right now, as a whole, is full of lovely people doing lovely things. You're right - that will never change if the community doesn't react to it. But we're part of that community. We ARE those people who get to react to it. You might have a point on us being dumb and sticking our noses into something that didn't belong if we were getting mad about lovely people in the NBA in this thread, but getting mad about Zak S and Tarnowski being lovely people is directly relevant to the gaming hobby. They are ALSO a part of the gaming community, and they sure as hell aren't going to just play games and have fun, they're going to speak up and spew their poo poo everywhere.

You're asking that everyone sit down, play games, and let people like them make this community worse. You would have us do nothing, because doing something makes you uncomfortable. Your discomfort is nothing compared to the amount of hatred women and minorities receive from the general gaming community. And if we're going to improve it, we'll do it by speaking up. Sitting down and shutting up and minding our own business ain't gonna do poo poo.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, in the case of D&D 5e, you should consider raising a fuss over it with some other good guys.

I have been, thanks. I've been linking people in contact with Mearls all sorts of resources on Zak S and Tarnowski for days now, and I've been very critical of everything that's happened so far. I'm not the loudest voice on it, but that's because I'm not in as good of a position to speak as some other people are, so I have been supporting those people instead.

Effectronica posted:

What responsibility? On John Tarnowski and Zak Smith to change? Is that a reasonable expectation? On Wizards of the Coast to redress the problems here? That's a matter of economic pressure. On the RPG online community to become less of a shithole? How are you going to do that without either shifting the makeup of the community or shifting the circumstances around it, and how are you going to do those things without creating things? Or is the only progressive way the path of learned helplessness?

As for "Be the change you want to be" and all that, it's not like I'm not ALSO doing that. I've been writing more inclusive games, and buying the ones that make an effort to be inclusive. I've been speaking up in the community, and calling out poo poo like this 5E nonsense when I see it. Part of why I get angry with things like "Well just play good games" and "support the good people in the industry instead" and all that is because I am also doing that. I can do that AND speak out against the awful parts of our hobby. These are not mutually exclusive.

It's a deflection tactic that has no merit. Telling me I should be making games instead of speaking out is ignoring my ability to do both. In fact, even if you were not making games, if you're not good at it or you're just an enthusiast, I'd still want you to speak up against harassment, too. Like, the assumption here is that because I am spending time spreading awareness about what Zak S does to people, it must be the only thing I am doing about this. And that's just not true - I am also boycotting 5E, along with basically all of my friends who I've talked to about this. I am also trying to change the community, by speaking with the people within it and doing what I can to change or reject horrible people and their input. I can also create things that have a variety of gender and ethnic representation. I can do all of these things.

Just because I am only doing one form of activism in this community in a day does not mean it is the only thing I am doing, or that it is the only thing worth doing, or anything like that. I want this hobby to improve. I want this community to improve. My input is a drop of water in a giant ocean of other people and opinions. It barely matters, I am easily ignored. So I'm going to keep adding another drop every day, and maybe I'll see something happen here. I'm doing what I can. I recognize its not much, but its more than someone who doesn't want me to speak up because I should be doing other things instead.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

General Ironicus posted:

I didn't even use his name. Maybe he was searching for the more popularly linked articles? I don't know. But he's replying to me about negotiating truces and asking for specific grievances. This is suddenly very tiring.

Zak S is incredibly tiring to deal with. He argues like a robot and has no sense of remorse that I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Man I am not a fan of GURPS either but can you lay off the dude for playing it? I swear someone is mocking someone else over liking GURPS every day around here, it isn't a crime to like a complicated system.

• Locked thread