Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 232 days!)

Some of the better episodes of "Forensic Files" are free stream on AMZNPRM. Just thought you should know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

NV is based off the original MSRP of the vehicle. No depreciation is taken into consideration either.

NV loves to gently caress Euro car owners even more than the Europeans do. :smith::hf::smith:

I really enjoyed going through the paperwork of my '89 and watching it go from $30/yr to $130/yr just because, you know, gently caress you.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

I get distracted by shiny poo poo every day and stall at least once.

Oh, Wolverine! :swoon:

:regd08:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

IOwnCalculus posted:

Netbooks make the best garage machines. My 1000HE may be old and slow, but it's still good enough to pull up PDFs / play Google music / surf Autozone and Rockauto, while being lovely enough that who cares if it gets greasy.

Here I thought I was the only one damaged enough to have an eee phase. :v:

Recently I've moved to virtual hardware to break me of the leash of the one single old dell that would run XP and had REAL LEGACY HARDWARE PORTS. Of course even with VirtualBox/VirtualPC, I still need to use USB adapters old enough for the host OS. (I've had both decent and shittastic compatibility with docking stations, so not trying to get stuck getting married to one of those for life, too.) :suicide:

Thought about posting a "Missed Connections" today:

You: That georgeous-from-afar cream white 9000 who always crosses the opposite way on the split lane highway.
Me: The other SAAB in our state.

I noticed today for the first time that your grill is busted up pretty bad. Thats ok. If I was only after looks, I probably wouldn't be driving an OG95. Lets fix your messed up face and kick up the pressure.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Oh, Eugene! :allears:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

What's AI's thoughts on Motorcycle "clubs"? Three people I know have joined them in recent months and the guys already in these things are just the douchiest people I've ever met.

I have some Mongols who live nearby. Evidently their product is good because they can party for days.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

MrChips posted:

Kumis is pretty crazy stuff from what I hear.

Not those Mongols, ya big silly!

:holymoley:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fuckity-gently caress-gently caress gently caress. Guess who is related to people who didn't change their timing belt in time on their interference engine?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

The same person who's not going to lift a finger to help them fix it, right?

Yeah, well, I'd love to but its not the fault of the directly related, and they'd be the one directly impacted. $800 for a high mileage replacement 2.4L is the best price I've been able to find.

Guess I got to be a passenger and driver in one of its last voyages. :toot:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

meatpimp posted:

STR came out.

As what this time?

Joy of joys, the DD is out on loan. At least I knew this was going to happen, so all fluids checked and flushed where appropriate. God help them if they gently caress with my presets. :argh:

Fucknag posted:

I

had never considered that. I'll look into it. Anyone know the answer to this in Florida?

Form 83363.

THERE IS NO PROVISION IN FLORIDA LAW FOR PRORATED REFUNDS.

E.G. gently caress you.

JFC. $225 initial fee? Here I thought Nevada was out to gently caress us since the "Luxury Tax" turned into a "General Tax" that cost more, and has more smog testing bullshit than most of California.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 13, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

Went to the lake for the day yesterday and it loving rained and was gross and windy. At the end of the day one of my friends drops it on me that is thyroid cancer has returned and he's got probably a year to live and no insurance to cover treatment this time.

The good news is that with Obamacare, they can't deny him insurance. They can make it completely unaffordable, but they can't turn him away. It isn't a bad time of year for a benefit garage sale, followed with a donations-accepted spaghetti dinner.

Just don't hold it anywhere near that ghetto you live in.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Cat Terrist posted:

In in the well there may well be a tiny hope for humanity, Ian Thorpe (really good swimmer) comes out as gay, world goes "YAY! We're genuinely happy for you!". It's nice tyo see the fundies being yelled down and someone saying they are gay gets overwhelmingly positive comments.

I was about to tell you but all but the ultra-retarded hasn't given a gently caress for more than a decade. Then I remembered you are in Oz, which is about 20 years behind.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

When did AI become the pantshitting GBS version of D&D?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

I think it was right when you came off of probation.

Oh, look at you so smug and all. I bet you watch FOX NEWS just to laugh at the God fearing plebes.

Cat Terrist posted:

Actually the average are fairly open minded, thankfully. Apart from boats as below.

Bronwyn Bishop. Average or ABOVE average? :smuggo:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

some texas redneck posted:

Walmart stocks both regular Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance for $22.88 around here, in the common weights. And I can have it in my hands today. I'm paying sales tax either way, but I'll gladly pay the extra 22 cents to have it today. and the Wal-Mart I usually shop at carries an OEM AC Delco filter for my car for $7. They're also open at 2am, which is when I usually get out of work.

I came to post pretty much this - I bought some 0w30 and 0w40 today for essentially the same price, and didn't have to wait 3 weeks for it.I'm waiting 9 or so weeks for a trusted brand of electrolytic capacitors, though. Gee- I could get some super cheap ones from Asia on eBay for pennies, shipped! Yeah, no. Not when my eReputation is riding on it.

Gonna go snuggle SAABdog now. She is a spoiled rotten bitch, but she's MY spoiled rotten bitch.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Nidhg00670000 posted:

(This really should go in the hot hatch thread.) :D

So, its stolen, then?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rawrl posted:

I've had pretty good luck with badcaps.net.

Wow. I had no idea these guys had a business plan that would enable them to exist after 2004. :v:

kastein posted:

Not difficult, unless something is out of stock.

Ding, ding, ding!

It seems that nobody geared towards the hobbyist has these specific Panasonic caps in stock. Mouser has two variants of them, one is 8+ weeks out, and the other one is non-stock with a 6 week lead. DigiKey has 4,000 of them, but minimum order is 2,000 at $0.90/ea. Those prices are as bad as Ratshack.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

kastein posted:

You don't need to replace with exactly the same part, though some people will care that much.

Yeah. I just like to use the same parts, so I can easily tell when someone is trying to defraud me. They've gone as far as to soak off my stickers and try to reglue them.. to get something for free that would have cost them $40 otherwise.

Motronic posted:

What specifically are you looking for?

10THB220M. Mouser just got them in today and dispatched mine. :w00t:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

kastein posted:

There doesn't appear to be a very good substitute available, but I only spent about 15 seconds searching for one.

PS: if you need parts and have a specific part number in mind, go to https://www.octopart.com and enter the part number. Select your favorite authorized distributor that lists stock with an MOQ (min order qty) you can meet (they have an asterisk next to the name.) Order and wait.

I do this poo poo literally all day at work while designing embedded system modules and sensor interfaces, so I'm pretty used to it.

I figured you'd have something useful to interject.

I'm passively lazy after spending what was it - two days trying to figure a proper waterproof insulated plug for something a year or so ago, so Mouser is my first stop, then digi-key. Finally, if really hard up we have a once good, now poo poo semi-local place. I'm not going to burn 4 gallons of gas to get a loving capacitor, though, unless one hell of a client depends on it. I think I was trying to help Motronic (before his wife kicked him out to live in the garage). Try reasoning that one out in your head. Viggen helping Motronic.

Somehow, my HF 1/2" click torque wrench died some time between when I unwound it following the oil change last week (yeah not going to start that derail), and when I went to use it yesterday. No click for 19ft/lbs, and I'm starting to physically strain? Yeah, no. gently caress you, HF torque wrench. I'll use your 1/4" little brother, instead. :v:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 18, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

You are sometimes moderately helpful.

Ditto. :glomp:

v- Shoulda bought that S2000. Or that other S2000. Or that other one. Or that Volvo. Or that Kia. Or whichever $(randomize(blk_wish_list)) it was the last time.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 18, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

leica posted:

To get the real sports car experience you have to suffer, right?

Next, replace the twin AAs with a 9V crammed in place and watch that sonnabitch scream up the hill.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Friar Zucchini posted:

So I just stopped by the auto section at Best Buy to look at noisy parts that I can't afford and there was a little display with a few different kinds of breathalyzers for sale. :crossarms:

Brilliant crossover there, on that managers' part. Just so long as it is packed next to the Sony XPLOD and Jensen kits.

Went to go pull the head on the now-dead 2.4DOHC churd, and found that even my weak bony nerdskeleton fingers are too large to fit in most of these places. What. The. gently caress. gently caress you, Hyundkia.

Was going to do my last of the first summer oil changes today, but the sky is a little less than trustworthy. The fact we dropped 20 degrees in 1/2 hour may have something to do with it. Do not hail on my cars, drat you. :hydrogen:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Wimps. (Not a setup. It was pretty loving hot - until it dropped 20 degrees in 1/2 hour. Prayed to the hail gods to pass us buy. So far, so good.)

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

That looks like a familiar interior. Is it a Cavalier with a wood trim kit?

Range Rover Sport / Holden crossover. I call it the RRH.

ExplodingSims posted:

Was that inside temp or outside? Cause my pic was the temp Inside the car.

Outside, actually. Inside was much, much worse until I dropped the top.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Extra posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that panel hasn't succumbed to SAAB electrical gremlins. My parents had matching 93s and both of the pixels on their head units decided to poo poo the bed.

I. Fix. Those. :shepicide: (Much better trolling than Motronic- It deserves a response.)

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My friend from HS went to school in England and just moved home with a fiance. They came over last night. Dude is British as hell but drives a Mustang and plays basketball. He thinks PB&J sandwiches are gross though.

You can tell if he is truly infected - check him for racism levels.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

loving stupid 13mm cheese metal oil plug. :sweden: t:mad:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

Got nailed for 5mph over the speed limit. I feel like such a rebellious rear end in a top hat.

'fess up. You got cited for the rust falling off faster than the vehicle was moving.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

meatpimp posted:

Driving while broke?
Driving while Bayesian. :v:

I was just asked if I can repair Volvo DIMs. Goddamn they made those clusters easy to get out. :allears:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Welp, got the timing belt nearly-on on the folks' car. Well enough to crank by hand and check compression.

Cyl 1: 0 psi :toot:
Cyl 2: 60 psi :downs:
Cyl 3: 0 psi :toot:
Cyl 4: 120 psi :crossarms:

Happy 130k, kiddo. You're gonna need to get your head on straight to see 131k.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

trouser chili posted:

Why suddenly the jump isn't known.

Scout II.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

piss boner posted:

Try a tent repair kit from BassPro/Dick Sporting?

..or duct tape. It comes in designer camo print now.

I'm finally watching "The Wire" - drat, this is (was) actually a show worth watching.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

What the gently caress does that triangle mean?

loving Volkswagon.

loving Beetle.

"Drive me until I start flashing. Then, drive me hard."

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 28, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Hey, Rhyno -

Any idea what my set of KISS dolls action figures are worth? '97 reboot, NRFB.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

About $15 per figure.

Not bad. I paid :10bux: for the whole set. Thanks.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

You can probably get $50-60 for the set on Ebay. I was at my friend's vintage toy shop today and said that's about what he'd sell them for if the plastic bubbles aren't yellowing.

They've been stored in a closet for that period. Sound familiar?

Also, Motronic, it sucked seeing Omar taken out the way he was in Season 5 of "The Wire". The last two seasons should never have been made. Season 3 had a good closure. The season 5 ending was kind of poo poo.

I'm on episode 2 of "Oz" now, drat I need different background noise than this, because I look up at the screen and I have no idea who these characters are. Having the narrator/wheelchair guy is kind of detracting for me, because I think it is just a waste - trying to set the scene for the story, when the story is visibly unfolding.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

I may be committing an act of automotive sanity.

Hmm, let me check the flowchart..

Think about what you're saying, man.. that is like Motronic not being Motronic. IT JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN THAT WAY.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Well, the Miata probably has the same compression across all cyls as the Rover.

E: Oz really sucks. It comes off as some strong poo poo, and wait, no, its just prison assrape with a gimp for cut scenes. Woop-de-loving do. Its trying too hard to be edgy. I think I'm done with this series at S1E4.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 29, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

You Am I posted:

Sorry to see that, because there is a lot more to it than the prison rape.

After I reminded myself this is from the late 90s, I decided to give it a bit less jaundiced eye. Hell, this was edgy then, even if it is a bit trite at times. I'm up to S2E1, and we haven't had the annoying crackhead in the wheelchair as our "Guide on the Jailhouse Ride" every 3 seconds, so, eh.. I may sit it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

13 INCH DICK posted:

Let me tell you about a thing called Amsoil

Says the Firestone guy. Everybody knows its all about Rotella.

E: Dear god why did I offer to fix electronic poo poo in SAMart?

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 31, 2014

• Locked thread