Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Razorwired posted:

The only two alignments you need are "gently caress Tha Police!" and "I AM THE LAW!"

Everything else is window dressing.

My alignment is ACAB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Rick posted:

Mango Sentinel is that Zero Suit Samus and what is the red thing distracting her?

It's Kazooie's rear end. You... Had to be in the SGDQ thread.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yes, they are straight up doing a Return to Return to Ravnica.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like Ravnica if only because I like the whole global city setting.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Pinwiz11 posted:

The best part of the Ravinca setting is that I could GM a campaign and say that Jace is dead. So dead. So so so so so dead. Cut into a thousand pieces, those pieces caught fire, and then Bolas swept them into a vortex dead. No, you can't bring him back. Garruk is your lord now.

Is he? Last time I checked Jace was now literally the Guildpact of Ravnica and was now an intrinsic part of the lore of that setting? I mean that doesn't mean he can't be Super Duper Dead Forever. In fact, he should be especially if it contradicts the lore. gently caress Jace.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wyvernil posted:

So who's this Jace guy and why does he need to die? Not really familiar with Magic the Gathering lore.

From context in this thread he seems like an Elminster-style uberwizard that you'd need to write around in order to give the PCs something to do; otherwise he'd single-handedly solve the adventure for them. There's a reason Forgotten Realms gets disparaged for being bloated with so many high-level NPCs that there's no niche for the players to fill.

You basically got it. In MtG lore he's basically just this Cool and Powerful wizard who gets a ton of the spotlight as the iconic Blue character, a color in Magic people don't like a lot of the time because it's the color that is generally the best and does the most obnoxious things like preventing you from casting spells. He was also the subject of a really notorious card called Jace, the Mindsculptor, which practically twisted every format that it could be played in to be about him because it was so good.

So yeah, he's a character that is constantly showing up in storylines and doing mysterious wizard poo poo, represents a color that frustrates players by being better than all the others, and was printed on a very overpowered card.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

gently caress, until someone pointed it out I didn't realize how much Ravnica lines up with Planescape. So I guess we're getting off-brand Sigil now. This is not a bad thing, Ravnica is one of the more interesting MtG settings IMO. Zendikar as a setting kinda sucked because despite being the ADVENTURE plane, it had like no defining traits because the world just reshapes itself for no reason.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think there's a couple excuses for that. I think that the Guildpact literally forces everyone to put up with Rakdos and Gruul and the other factions just try to keep them in check and give them a job to do. I forget if this was an actually given excuse from a MaRo article or something I just made up but I think Rakdos might be a little more subdued than the cards let on. Like, the cards just don't show it because in a game where we're Planeswalkers trying to murder each other, "Magician Who Does a Card Trick And Nothing Bad Happens" isn't very useful as opposed to "Fat Knife Clown". So the game cares more about the chaotic death cult portion of the Rakdos guild than the in-universe fun face people usually see.

Still that being said, if there was a greater than zero chance that going to the guild's magic show might result in someone just actually getting sawed in half on stage I would think those shows would be a lot less popular. I don't think you get to "whoopsie" that one under the rug.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mendrian posted:

Pet classes and summoning is so loving stupid, yes what we needed was more poo poo in the initiative roster.

I ran a one shot once for a small convention and one girl noticed she could technically summon like a half dozen things. I had to plead with her not to.

That's not great design, is all.

You sound like a lot of fun.

That being said pets should work like they do in Gloomhaven where they act before you in your turn and are completely deterministic. I have no idea how deterministic behavior would work in D&D but whatever. Keep em simple.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Had the Warlord.
Was the most fun and useful the Fighter has ever been.
Almost every class (before essentials stuff and I guess like except the phb wizard) was reasonable well balanced and playable.

That being said 4e had some really prevalent math issues that granted are easy to patch by just like, doubling damage and halving hp on monsters, and giving everyone a flat +1 per tier. Also the feat bloat was arguably WORSE than 3 and definitely than 5.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Josef bugman posted:

Did feats still work the same way?

What made the wizard so good in the PHB?

And would that be like giving fighters the ability to do "get over here's" on particular enemies, that kind of thing?

What is a "multiple ability dependence issue" can I get an example?

Feats worked the way they did in 3e which was that you got an allotment of them at specific levels and there were just a fuckmillion of them. In 5 you only get them at ASI levels and only if you give up the ASI, and there aren't nearly as many. There's still the problem where polearm master competes with linguist for a slot, but you don't have you scouring books to create a list of like 15 feats for your career from countless dozens.

Wizard wasn't good in the PHB. It was actually kinda bad. They assigned wizard the "controller" role but at that point had no idea what that meant so wizards just did a whole lot of unfocused nonsense that wasn't very effective. They got better with supplements.

Fighters actually did get to manipulate positioning and they were a constant threat because all "defender" type classes had some mechanic for "you get a penalty to hit if you're not attacking me and I punish you for it". Fighters punished by hitting dudes in the fuckin mouth and it was way better than just "do a lovely opportunity attack". They also did actual significant damage. (This sounds like the same as an AoO except they got to put riders and effects on those attacks and they actually hurt bad)

I can't think of anything off the top of my head but it's just like monk in 3e always used to need dex for AC, wisdom also for AC and other abilities, strength to do damage, con to have hp. They made it a tiny bit better in 5 because damage is now based on dex.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 30, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You're not allowed to like 4e though because it's WoW for babies

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You also have to unfortunately take Hex as a spell tax but if you're just gonna spam EB you don't need those spell slots anyway. Just hex all day err day.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Josef bugman posted:

One of my friends who I game with said it was a tad disconnected and a bit weird, but they had only played a bit of it so it might just be a bad DM.

I mean it's far from perfect but it's easily my favorite edition of this game but because purists hated how it actually did new things and tried to shake up the game in a meaningful way while throwing many sacred cows on the barbeque, it got shoved in the dumpster and all the lessons they could have learned from it forgotten for trying to cater to the 3.x neckbeards who already jumped ship to Pathfinder.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I do genuinely enjoy 5e a lot, but I still bitch about it because there's so many steps back, failures to improve on lessons from older editions, and dumbass sacred cows that I can't help but feel disappointed. But it could've been a lot worse and it's honestly just a pretty playable system that I don't mind screwing around with. I mean, they made the Monk less terrible! They do things even though they suffer from "being a martial". They get to have all sorts of fun moves and spendable resources and ways to manipulate enemies. I get to enjoy hearing my DM groan when I casually disengage from an enemy without provoking, run 50 feet through whatever the hell I feel like, and shut down a wizard by stunlocking him while going ATATATATA.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hey, the alternative is getting a GM who punishes you for trying to do something heroic at great personal risk or cost constantly which is a real thing I've dealt with. Granted the game also wasn't D&D so it's off topic but still.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I liked weapons in the 4e Gamma World system though that might have made more sense in that because weapons were stuff like "I have a hunk of rebar with some concrete still on." But yeah I don't know why there needs to be stats for weapons outside of like one/two handed str, one/two handed dex, ranged. Also I liked how they handled ammo, but it made more sense in a system where you had guns but bullets were really hard to come by. If you fired your gun once in a encounter, you're conserving ammo and it's fine. If you fire more than one an encounter, you're not conserving ammo and after the encounter you will no longer have ammo. Bullets were binary.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean breastplates exist but I'm fully on board with players innovating like that.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I dunno I've never had a problem with AC. People raise good points about how rolling a d20 against a chance to either Do Something or Do Nothing sucks but whatever it is what it is. Honestly I think an interesting fix would be to give fighters "miss is half damage" stuff like spells get. If we're accepting hp as an abstraction of luck, fatigue, and will, a failed attack that clangs off someone's shield could still do damage, fatiguing their shield arm and making it less likely they'll defend successfully and bringing them closer to a lethal blow.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You gonna elaborate at all or just two word poo poo on an off the cuff thought and peace out?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sage Genesis posted:

During the 5e "playtest" such an option was briefly tried. It proved to be so divisive a topic that EN World had to create a whole separate sub-forum just for that topic alone, because of all the flamewars that broke out and drowned out all other discussion. I am 100% not kidding here.

I 100% believed you without you needing to clarify.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

mastershakeman posted:

Just give sorcerors the demon pact and Eldritch blast and remove warlocks entirely

Warlocks are cool and good and I will fight you.

They should have made them better than just cantrip turrets though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I've been frustrated in my current D&D game which has been fine enough so far but our DM likes using a critical failure table. One that's not horribly egregious thankfully but there is "hit your adjacent ally in the face" poo poo that drives me nuts, and that we lose the rest of our turn after one. It sucks especially because I'm playing a monk so I just roll more D20s on average than the rest of the group so I'm always the one who gets punished by this dumb mechanic.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think most creatures that care to talk with you would probably speak common or have someone in their group that can speak common anyway so I feel like that shouldn't be that much of a problem. My only issue with languages is that the linguist feat tries to compete with actual feats with what, 3 languages and you can write codes for some reason because they realized the feat did nothing if they didn't give you some kind of bonus? I think linguist should let you speak basically every language. Maybe add in a clause that you can only get across simple phrases and concepts with languages that you aren't proficient in but whatever it's a feat. Let the face work out some kind of pidgin with the critters you're talking to whatever.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Put on sunglasses, done.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean I'm all for characters having difficulties and weaknesses but when a game presents a character option in the primary player facing book with the drawback "you suck hard in like 50% of situations you'll find yourself in" without much gain you've made a mistake. Also if sunlight sensitivity is more than just vision, why does it only effect perception and attacks? I say either ignore it, just roleplay it as sunlight being uncomfortable rather than being to penalize someone for the crime of playing a nonstandard character, or just make the penalty that maybe they can't benefit from rest without shade because they're in a constantly stressful situation that prevents recovery. I dunno, sunlight sensitivity sucks.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Control Volume posted:

If you have to house rule every problem like that, why not just throw out your entire 5e library, stop playing dnd at all that night, and have a gay orgy with your buds?

Maybe I will

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nonstandard races are the best races, kobold PCs all day err day.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I always love the 4e nadir argument when there is absolutely no evidence that this is true and those books were fuckin everywhere and supported for a good while.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kenku should have hollow, fragile bones because they're birds. Disadvantage on all checks until they're healed if they take bludgeoning damage. If you don't want absurd disadvantages play a dwarf or something you fuckin snowflake.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Tremek posted:

I continue to love that literally no one else in here has shown any data to support their argument. Have something better to share? Something is better than pure conjecture & invective.

Oh my god go away

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

AlphaDog posted:

Reeeeeee not d&d reeeeeeeeee

vvvvvvvv also reeeeeeee

Do not be this person.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I keep hearing people gush about Shadow of the Demon Lord but whenever I look into it I find out there's like, poo poo where a demon leech bites your dick off or something to that effect. I'm sure it's not all like that but the theme throws red flags for me a lot.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I used a deliberately hyperbolic example that I kinda half remembered from a secondhand account. I was not expecting my description of "a leech bites off your dick" to get "Yeah but the game itself is still really good!" in response.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I feel like this is the tabletop equivalent of "This anime is really good, no really. Just ignore the parts where the MC is trying to gently caress his sister"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Even if monks aren't super great I like playing monk because they feel like the best monk has ever been in D&D, even if that's a low bar for a traditionally subpar class

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I kinda didn't count 4e because pretty much every martial class was way better there.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Didn't monks in 4e have some kind of ki focus implement that was basically like a non-weapon piece of equipment you wore that basically allowed you to have all the benefits of having a weapon while punching dudes still? I completely forget. Anyway I dunno even as much as I like punching things as a monk I feel like I like using a staff or a spear or something just as much as a monk so it never bothered me that much. Unarmed damage was just those extra kicks and poo poo I throw in as a bonus action.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Good lord are people in here really pushing 3.x over this? Like 5e has flaws but let's not go fuckin crazy here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Tell your DM they're being a dick and screwing over your class for no good reason. Its the disengage action, not the retreat action, and half the point of cunning action.