Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Imagined posted:

I homeruled for "logic" by saying a character has to be proficient in a skill to do a Help Action in it, because it doesn't make sense how someone who isn't good at Lockpicking could help someone else do it.

Sure it does. "Hey, pass me that. Okay hold this for a second" that kinda thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Oh my god now I want to play a grung with all my heart and soul.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ProfessorCirno posted:

The problem with "settings that have too many ZANY species out there break my immersion!" is that your immersion is fake and racist.

Excuse me but multi-ethnic communities are breaking my immersion. Allow me to explain why you're wrong. Now where are my calipers...?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Why are bonus actions not still called minor actions because they're an action you can use to do a lesser than than you can do with a full action.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You can continue to wear armor but you'll be one level behind on learning spells as a wizard. I dunno if this is as backbreaking as it was in 3e but as far as I know that's it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

With regards to rogue/wizard by the way, why do you want to be a level 1 rogue and then a wizard full time? Would you rather just be a wizard? Are you only doing it because you started a rogue and changed your mind because honestly just tell your DM "Hey I wanna be a wizard instead." If you want to be a wizard with some roguish leanings maybe just take the criminal background or something and get some skill proficiencies in stealth or that sorta thing. Or just be a rogue/wizard, no one's gonna slap the character sheet out of your hand, you do you.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm real sad that after Neverwinter Nights they never seemed to revisit the system-accurate D&D simulator genre. Especially since it had a DM mode. Why aren't there DMable video games?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Okay has anyone in history ever actually PLAYED Eoris?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm internally screaming because you keep complaining about 5e being irredeemable and yet you're playing Pathfinder.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean Pathfinder is literally "let's go back to 3.5 and poo poo on any progress in 4" but honestly I would take weak insufficient rules over lovely terrible rules.

That being said I will freely admit I despise Pathfinder the same with Arivia hates on 5e so I don't think I have any room to complain.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I forget what's the deal with Pact of the Chain but as I recall the advanced familiars you can pick have some really neat abilities, and I think there's some nonsense you can do to use flyby tricks to get advantage all the time or something.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

RC Cola posted:

Okay so I'm currently obsessed with Castlevania. How would one build Richter Belmont, the dnd character? Just a fighter that uses a whip and keeps holy water and various improvised weapons?

You'd have to give him a magical, exceptionally overpowered whip to make it useful, but yeah probably

edit: Oh wait I take this back I thought whips were still complete garbage like in 3.x apparently they're now just not very good, not literally unusable.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 29, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I actually agree with other folks here as far as paladin goes. The Belmonts frequently use somewhat to full-on magical abilities and I think using smite to slay vampires is 100% on point.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I would recommend finding yourself a new group but I'm still playing with MY lovely (admittedly non-D&D) game soooo

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Errata western fantasy out of my monks. If you can't punch a dragon in his stupid, smug loving mouth what's even the point?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Unless that wizard is specifically building around the "I'm the floating sword guy" gimmick, this is pretty petty.

I think it's rich even imagining the wizard being mad about one of the martial classes eating THEIR lunch on some gimmick instead of the other way around. Also isn't mordenkainen's sword strictly worse than like a 3rd level spell for no conceivable reason I forget.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

MMD3 posted:

awesome, thanks for the clarification... in that case there's not really much of a downside to using a longbow besides weight then is there? it's a larger hit die than a short bow right?

Proficiency. Some classes don't get proficiency with longbows but do with shortbows. If you plan on using a bow, long is better yes, assuming you're proficient.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Are there any legal (non-:filez:) sources for PDF copies of stuff like Ravnica? I wanna read it but I hate owning physical books these days and I don't know if any of the digital versions for like Roll20 or whatever contain just, the drat book in a readable form.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So beyond actually gives you a PDF or some similar format? I've never used it before so I don't know how that content is provided.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Don't be a dick with wishes. Obviously probably don't grant world peace because that's not conducive to adventure but like, give them something nice. The temporary reprieve from all conflict, having a one day like Christmas kinda thing is a good idea, I like that. A good excuse to have some light fun.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Unrelated to the monkey paw wish discussion, I've been reading Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica and I'm wondering how the hell Rakdos can even work in lore, and in a roleplaying game. Like, I know the main conceit of Ravnica is there's a literal magical contract that forces everyone to not outright go to war and exterminate each other and all the guilds have a job to keep the city running but the lore on Rakdos seems really inconsistent. They say they run the entertainment sector and do shows where they publicly ridicule the elite that people enjoy apparently... But then in the next paragraph talk about how Rakdos parties have like a 50/50 shot of turning into a blood orgy. Like, why would anyone ever go to one of these when you might have a few drinks and see a show or you might end up getting ripped apart by a demon. Are they supposed to be secretive about the darker poo poo they do? Because the lore makes it sound like they are extremely up front about their murder parties. Then the source book says that players should maybe be one of these guys. I have no idea how that would even work.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah they do provide some reasons for people in different guilds to work together. A lot of them have mutual interests they'd want to work towards. But then the Rakdos chapter seems to make zero effort toward making a Rakdos player want to play nice, despite presenting it as a background choice. I'm sure that they have SOME legitimate businesses which is how they have any sort of people outside the cult that would be willing to attend their performances but then it says that part of your benefits for being a member is that people don't gently caress with you in the street because they're afraid you'll flip out and murder them. It's just a little inconsistent on how scary the cult is supposed to be.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I read the part about druid rear end kicking based hierarchy and the "nut" part of health nut and I've decided that druids should decide who rises in the ranks based on loving. Its not clear to outsiders how they decide who wins, but the druids know.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I too want an Oglaf sourcebook

This but unironically

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I hate Dragonlance (as a gameplay setting I have zero opinion on the fiction because I haven't read it!) just because of Kender and Gully Dwarves. Especially Kender though because they're more player facing and while it might work fine in a book having a character choice that is "be an rear end in a top hat to your entire party and then say 'but I'm just playing my character!'" the race is horseshit.

Edit: It's also not Spelljammer give me Spelljammer dammit. Actually wait don't I saw the boat rules they put out recently.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Let's be real, all fiction is non-canonical unless you like it

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dragonatrix posted:

Almost all fiction. Barkley's Shut up and Jam Gaiden is explicitly canon whether you like it or not.

Well obviously. It says so fight at the beginning!

Ratoslov posted:

Gully dwarves are kinda stupid conceptually, but they never got the hate that kender got because they're genuinely underdogs in a world that hates them and gives them no respect. I like that about them.

It's because Kender say right in their description "be an rear end in a top hat to your party and treat them like dicks for calling you out on it." Like it says that they don't understand personal property and will just take poo poo that doesn't belong to them and feign ignorance if you call them on it. That's never behavior you should encourage in players because there's always That Guy and it's this race.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kender and Gully Dwarves are an example of "how did you survive this long?" If there's a species that just constantly steals from people as a matter of course why would anyone associate with them? Or on that note are we just establishing Kender are too stupid to realize humans generally don't like it when you take things they have without asking? Like if they don't have a concept of personal property then that's fine, but as an intelligent species they really can't figure out as a group that when they're around big folk they will take offense if you do that? Like I figure they'd at least learn the social norm of "hey don't touch that you little poo poo" or they would just never get to hang out with the other cultures of Krynn or whatever.

Gully Dwarves are just a lovely joke of "lol they can't count above 2 and they're dumb and they smell bad" just don't do that what the gently caress.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

There was also that magic item that appears to be limitless that lets you just cast any spell that's on your class list regardless of whether you prepared/know it provided you make a skill check, the alternative being that you get a random spell off a small list. That one seems nuts because if you actually make your checks good enough you can convert your spell slots into whatever the gently caress you want at will so it massively expands your selection pool.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

lightrook posted:

I dunno if I really buy this reasoning. If a trained combatant has fought with or against magic-users before, then shouldn't they know the importance of protecting your magicians and attacking the enemy's? If someone has experience fighting with or against archers, then shouldn't they know that archers have a hard time doing their job when big fighty dudes get in their face? And while everyone should be aware of the dangers of turning their back to the enemy, it's reasonable they'd also know that one enemy can't react to everything if the entire force rushes past at the same time. I'm not arguing for the DM to metagame every combat encounter, but I still expect intelligent humanoid enemies to act like intelligent humanoids, and given that they should know their own capabilities I'd imagine they'd assume the same applies to the enemy.

Yeah this makes sense. The magic user is a high priority target. However also realistically, the fighter should have a lot of options to prevent you from doing this, like just putting his heavy armored rear end in your way, or constantly hounding you for trying to get past them. But in most editions of D&D hey have no actual meaningful way to do this. They get to take A single swing at you then you're off to the races and they have to chase you down to do anything, and even if they're right behind you they don't meaningfully interfere in your smashing the squishy dude. In 4e they got to penalize you for ignoring them and get even more free swings because you weren't focused on them and this was WoW game for babies so we gotta put a stop to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

People who say 4e classes play the same never actually played much 4e