Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Um...is this a bad time to state that I'm joining a 5th Edition game this weekend, and the GM has pre-genned a half-elf draconic-bloodline sorcerer for me to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

ImpactVector posted:

Well, at least he did a good job of lining up the stat bonuses. Was this a surprise pregen? Or was that the plan going in?

He invited me to his ongoing game and said he'd make a pre-gen so I could slide right in. He just asked if I wanted caster or fighter type. He's made a pre-gen before for me in a DC Superheroes game I guested in, so I just have to brush up on what all the stats and backgrounds mean.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So here's my pre-gen...Half-Elf Sorcerer, level 6, Draconic Lineage (Brass), Empowered Spell, Twinned Spell, Defining Event (stood alone against a Banshee), Rustic Hospitality, War Caster. I'm not used to "spell points" and the like, but otherwise I'm definitely psyched for this Sunday.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
SASSY HALFLING BARD FROM A HABERDASHERY WHO WANTS TO BE FAMOUS, NO MATTER WHAT!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

AlphaDog posted:

I heard that's how it was done in OOD&D*.

*Original Original Dungeons & Dragons. There is only one copy, which is written on suspiciously shaped parchment in giant squid ink and is kept in a watertight icosohedral lead box in a secret vault under Lake Geneva until a new Lead Designer ascends. After they view it, they... change.

So 4e was the counterpart to the Book of Mormon?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

moths posted:

Grogs can be shitbags but they don't commit hate crimes against random store clerks in "retaliation" for terrorism.

Well yeah, they don't know where to place the Fireball spell.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gort posted:

Turns out I've been casting lightning bolts for years but they've just been vanishing into the space between grid squares.

Do what I do. Cast them on a diagonal.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So what I'm hearing is don't make my next PC a Ranger - make them a Druid?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sage Genesis posted:

Followed by Goldpieces, Fireball, You're Only Raised Twice, and Dungeons Are Forever.

Edit:

The franchise really started to suck with On Elminster's Secret Service, if you ask me.

For me, the franchise didn't really tank until "Crit and Let Die". "The Orc with the Golden Club" wasn't bad though…

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So my GM had our group discover a hidden shrine to his world's goddess of magic meant to challenge her apprentices. My Sorcerer completed the tests inside and was rewarded with a scroll of Time Stop.

Now, I know in 5th edition you can't stack buffs anyone (Stoneskin, Haste, Blur, Mirror Image, Resistance and so on), so what's the best way for a magic user to utilize Time Stop in 5e?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

thefakenews posted:

Has anyone else had much of a look at the Adventures in Middle Earth books? I have had the Player's Guide for a while, but just picked of the Loremaster's Guide and the Wilderland Adventures book.

The monster design in the LMG seems to be a little more interesting than the official Monster Manual. Enemies have a number of cool abilities that make use of bonus actions and reactions. There are pretty evocative things in there.

It also has a big list of those actions (and others traits) to add to your own custom monsters.

It also has a pretty neat list of terrain effects. A lot of them are fairly basic, but I think it is a useful reference.

Has anyone had a chance to try any of that content out?

My Thursday night gaming group is going to be doing a Middle Earth campaign in a few months. I will say that I have The One Ring books from Cubicle 7 and the company did there best to transfer as much material/rules/traits from those books (which are their own system) into the 5e books. If that's the case, I can't wait to try it out as The One Ring books are some of the best sourcebooks I've ever read.

My only concern is that Middle Earth is about being heroes and fighting off the darkness. It's NOT about gaining levels and getting massive amounts of loot. Those ideas of fellowship and heroism are what I'm hoping translates over into 5e.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

God damnit. Just...God damnit.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Five bucks says 90% of the groups that use that tome will be exclusively one gender.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was part of a dungeon world game where I got sick of casting magic missile every turn as a level 1 wizard so I used my turn to cast prestidigitation and make a huge middle finger

Critted, too

My Sorcerer was once caught in a Zone of Wild Magic and the result was his Fire Bolt turning into a stream of confetti, complete with noisemaker.

The DM allowed me to learn the cantrip "Confetti Bolt" - same effect as Fire Bolt but it does psychic damage instead of fire.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Coup de grace's are for when you're fighting the Big Bad, the person who has a legit reason to see you flat out dead. And that's why players always make sure everyone has healing potions/Revify and to pre-buff Death Ward.

Goblins and black oozes? Nope. Death Knights? Maybe. Death Knight who's the main bad guy of your campaign and is finally being confronted after months of gameplay? Yep.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I've had to roll more Wisdom and Charisma saves than I've ever had to roll Intelligence saves.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Noxin of Shame posted:

My character has drawn the lore bard in our campaign equivalent of Secret Santa (basically something to do to fill in the holiday season interim before our next session). We've been told that if it's a reasonable gift (which I read as not being powerful or game-breaking), our characters can keep it.

Does anyone have suggestions or homebrewed/non-XGtE mundane items that they like?

Wand of Confetti. When used, shoots a stream of confetti and makes a loud party maker noise in the square in front of you. The more charges you use the brighter and thicker the confetti stream and the louder the noise. 10 charges, replenishes 1d6 charges at midnight.

If wand is depleted, roll a d20. On a 1, the wand disappears with the sound of The Price is Right losing horns. On a 20, the old rod disappears and a new one, fully charged, appears in your hand as the voice of Rod Roddy yells out "IT'S A NEW ROD!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Favorite underrated spell you wish you saw in play more?

Grease. Simple but nasty for low-Dex characters and the small radius means you can place it tactically.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The DM for my campaign helped spice up Champions a bit by giving them the option for several weapon-focused feats not in the PHB.

quote:

Blade Mastery – You have mastered long-bladed weapons, including the shortsword, longsword, scimitar, rapier, and greatsword. You gain the following benefits when wielding one of these weapons:
- You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls you make with the weapon.
- When you are the target of a melee weapon attack while wielding a long blade, you may use your reaction to assume a defensive stance, increasing your AC by your profiency bonus for that attack only.
- When you make an attack at advantage with a long blade, if both dice would hit your target you add one additional die of the weapon’s damage type to your total.

Fell-Handed – You have mastered the handaxe, battleaxe, warhammer, and maul. You gain the following benefits when wielding one of these weapons:
- Whenever you have advantage on a melee attack roll that you make with the weapon and hit, you can knock the target prone if the lower of the two d20 rolls would also have hit the target.
- If you use the Help action to aid an ally’s melee attack against a target using a shield, you can knock the target’s aside momentarily. In addition to giving the ally advantage on the attack roll, you also reduce the target’s AC by the value granted by the shield.

Flail Mastery – Flexible weapons such as flails and whips are tricky weapons to use, but you have mastered them. You gain the following benefits when wielding one of these weapons:
- On your turn, you can use your bonus action to adjust your stance to make the most of your weapon’s flexibility. You gain a +2 on your attack rolls for any attack that you make with the weapon against a target using a shield on that turn.
- When you hit an opponent with an attack of opportunity while using the weapon, you may attempt to trip the target in addition to dealing damage. The target must succeed on a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency modifier + you Strength or Dexterity modifier (whichever one you use when making attack rolls with the weapon) or be knocked prone.

Impaler – You have mastered the art of wielding spears and tridents in battle. You gain the following benefits when wielding one of these weapons:
- The base damage of the weapon is increased from a d6 to a d8, and from a d8 to a d10 when wielding it with both hands. This benefit has no additional effect if another feature has already increased the weapon’s damage die.
- As a bonus action on your turn, you can increase the reach of your weapon by 5 feet until the start of your next turn.
- You can set the weapon to receive a charge. As a bonus action on your turn, you can designate a target that is at least 20 feet away from you. On that creature’s next turn, if it moves into a space that you threaten, you can make a melee attack against it with the weapon as a reaction. If the attack hits, the target takes an additional d8 piercing damage, or an extra d10 if you were wielding the weapon with both hands. You cannot use this ability if the target used the Disengage action before moving.

While the downside is that picking one of these feats really locks you into using that class of weapon for the duration of the campaign, I feel it adds a little bit of Battlemaster to the Champion class (or any other martial class).

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Kaysette posted:

I like the UA these are from because they include the designer’s logic behind them. Not that you’ll necessarily agree with it...

Ah! I didn't realized they were from a UA. I see where the designer is coming from though - the abilities with the feats do tie in with what the weapon "can/should" do. My 1st level Fighter has Blade Mastery and I do like the fact that I have some kind of option to use my reaction early on in the character's life.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Splicer posted:

Someone has the shield master feat. When are they allowed shield bash someone?

Give me an attack roll, just your proficiency bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
During yesterday's session, our DM introduced some neat homebrew rules regarding hit dice since it's very rare during our sessions that we end up using all our hit dice before resting long enough to recover them or finishing the adventure/session and having downtime enough to completely refresh them. We're going to be "beta-testing" them over the next few weeks.