Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

You are expected to get more then one.

Taking a look Xanathar's says

Also breastplates are expensive.

why do you keep referencing Xanathar and not the DMG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

You’re very likely right. High level dnd always blows. Mid level seems excellent.

This is true of D&D in general.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

There's a dumb thing idiots say, which is that the Fighter is as good as the Wizard because while the Wizard can do more and better things than the Fighter, the Fighter can do their one thing all day!!!

https://twitter.com/ilovechrissia/status/1043013265519865861

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nickoten posted:

How are these errata?

5e tends to reject the idea that changes like these are made in the name of "rebalancing" the game, and instead still consider them "errata", as in "this was always how we wanted the game to work, we just misspoke/misprinted it".

Toplowtech posted:

Eternal defense was a level 11th power that used 5 ki to cast and, according to the elemental monk's max ki usage for spell per turn rule, you couldn't use that amount of ki until at least level 13. Elemental monk were super broken for years so the real question is "how weren't these errata sooner?"

That still means they're increasing the level requirement beyond minimum required, wouldn't it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I agree, it shouldn't be a bonus action. I'm completely on board with opening a door just being a thing that happens. I'm being an rear end about naming conventions.

Right on. XCOM lets you open and shut a door at will if you're standing next to it, and if you're going through an unopened door from a distance, you always kick it open and keep going without an intervening action.

clusterfuck posted:

More importantly, why does a high Dexterity not grant more interact with object opportunities? Why are so many otherwise phenomenal athletes and acrobats still struggling with opening doors and stowing weapons?

You are drifting dangerously close to the 90's design mindset of "more Dexterity/Agility = more actions", which would always be the most powerful effect in any game it was in by a country mile.

There's a case to be made that you could limit this to very specific effects, such as ... [checks 3e] ... the Quick Draw feat, but a generalized rule would be very dicey.

clusterfuck posted:

:lol: true. I see why you recommended Hackmaster to me earlier, ok ok I'll give it a go.

On Lifepaths, I hadn't heard of it but is this the idea?

Yes, lifepaths are a mechanic by which you make a series of "Choose Your Own Adventure" choices (or you roll a result instead of choosing one), and each choice yields a certain stat increase or whatever for your character.

The reason they tend to work better than other character generation procedures is that they can give out discrete packages of character progression advances - they don't have to be concerned with being "balanced" or "equal", but at the same time the choices/results also tend to be mutually-exclusive against others, which prevents the thing from being or "munchkin'd".

Theoretical example: the problem with Barbarians and Monks is that they require multiple ability scores to be high. If you tried to make up for this with rolled stats, everyone else gets even more of an advantage from having higher stats to play with. Same goes for point-buy - if you give everyone 40 points to play with so that the Barbarian can max-out Strength and Constitution ... the Paladin also gets to max-out Strength and Charisma.

Lifepath systems essentially allow you to give Barbarians/Monks a set of increased bonuses that they and only they can access, as they select the ... life choices that would lead them to becoming Barbarians and Monks.

(it's technically true that you can also just give the Barbarian, and only the Barbarian, a higher roll/point-budget to play with, but lifepath systems are more organic that way)

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 21, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MMD3 posted:

and do magical daggers still return to your hand automatically?

this was only a rule in 4e, and does not happen unless otherwise specified

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Skyl3lazer posted:

So I want to give rewards to my PCs who actually do things like submit character sheets in advance, do more than the bare minimum of backstory prep, etc. Are there any magic items which wouldn't completely unbalance level 1-3 play but would be good cantrip-esque rewards? It's hard to tell in 5e what a 'good' magic item is based on its rarity and I don't want to accidentally give out something too powerful.

the correct answer is to make it a consumable, so that for however you gently caress up, you won't have hosed up forever

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ritorix posted:

The secret to finding a good 1-20 5e campaign is converting a pathfinder AP

don't those end at 12 because it's too hard to keep accounting for high level powers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
has there ever been a metaplot that explicitly told you that this is absolutely 100% precisely what happened and you CANNOT modify it in any way?

I'm not even talking about a book that neglected to have a sidebar that says "you can change this if you want", but a book that explicitly said the opposite

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Not entirely serious idea: Convert 3e Tome of Battle / PF Path of War to 5e so you never have to worry about "daily spell limits" ever again. You might still end up wanting to snooze from running out of HP, but that's something that everyone will have to worry about, and will have to worry about on a much-evener keel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Numlock posted:

The TLDR is that the players had rotten luck in their first session and one character died. I started pulling my punches because I suspect if I played it straight a TPK would of resulted. Now they are spooked and asking for long rests after every fight even when it doesn’t make sense, much to my annoyance.

So I’m thinking I give them the option to use their abilites more, but at greater risk of failure.

You should just outright tell them what you're telling us now.

Like, when I last ran a campaign, I prefaced it with "I reserve the determine when you're allowed to benefit from a rest. Time can pass however the narrative demands, but it's completely divorced from when you get your spells back, because the game mechanically requires the attrition of resources to properly build up tension. I promise you that I'm not going to use this to screw you over."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my two cents is that "mind control" as an effect is something that's either better handled by:

1. escalating the effect to more targets as a function of target type (i.e. Hold Person vs Hold Monster)

2. escalating the effect to more targets as a function of their level/CR

3. starting from a different, less debilitating effect (no-move, then no-action, then complete stun, whatever), and moving to mind control later

if it were a video game, strict restrictions on what a mind control effect would be able to do might work (and that's really just a variant of #3), but in an RPG you're just tempting the players to try and create loopholes around however you want to word it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

Alternatively anything in the game thats an agency thief, should be, by its nature, something that rewards the player for playing along with it. Especially if they are being restricted from participating in the game as a result (the worst possible agency thief).

to be clear, my post was referring to the Suggestion / Dominate spell discussion, not to the "lying to another player" post

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arthil posted:

I'm comfy with my digital versions for now, but did use it to pick of Art and Arcana.

Art and Arcana tries really hard to pull some low-key grognardy edition warring

quote:

The 4th Edition rules were to offer each class such a menu of preloaded powers, some of which could be used at will, while others required a cooldown period before reuse - a system familiar to MMO players at the time, and for spellcasting classes, a stark break from traditional D&D memorization requirements. Now a starting wizard who took Magic Missile could cast it every round nonstop, though Sleep could only be cast once daily. Coupled with a boost to starting hit points, this meant that classes that started out weak now had viable offensive and defensive capabilities from the get-go. Other nods to MMO design incldued quick health and ability recovery during downtime between encounters and the division of character classes into the 'roles' of controllers, defenders, leaders, and strikers

quote:

Just as the books departed from the game's heritage, exploring new mechanics and emphasizing tactical miniature combat, it was impossible to ignore the hyper-stylized rebranding similarly occurring in the art. Under the guidance of art director Stacy Longstreet, who relied heavily on William O'Connor for concept art, 4th Edition steered D&D in a brash new direction - one loaded with unbridled action, exaggerated poses, and extreme, often distorted angles.

quote:

Dungeons and Dragons had been reforged into a game system that MMO fans would find familiar. Just as previous editions of the D*D tabletop game tethered their identity to their visual style, a clear decision was made to skew 4th edition toward a more fantastical, super-heroic, World of Warcraft-infused experience. Giant shoulder pauldrons, impossibly large weapons, and incredible splashes of bright color illustrated a new ruleset that leapt far beyond the foundational, brand-defining look that Dave Sutherland's or Dave Trampier's illustrations conveyed back in 1978. The game had once again entered a new era, and yet, strangely, it was no longer the trendsetter.

quote:

Arriving only six years after the polarizing 4th Edition, this sleeker version of the world's most famous RPG is something of an optimized fusion of all the most beloved features and mechanics from the previous four versions, with a refreshed game design intended to attract new and veteran alike.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Humalong posted:

Anyone have that google docs link for game systems that do DnD better than 5e? I have some friends who want to “try dungeons and dragons” and I want to look that list over before I decide to subject them to 5e (which I think is fine but there’s going to be like 7 of them and combat will probably be a slog).

E: i think gradenko posted it last time but I can’t remember and it was a good 9-10 months ago and I’m lazy and look let’s just give me the link

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19EfAN7KoU7rWy-TYchf8wVkbfbkRRrv3_ZpnA7ZNljU/edit?usp=drivesdk

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

I am absolutely not going to keep track of ability cooldowns beyond "I used it today."

Ability use in 4e was segregated into

[can use this on every turn]
[can use this once every encounter]
or [can use this once every adventuring day]

This is even largely what 5e does, except [can use this once every encounter] was changed to [can use this once every other encounter, i.e. a Short Rest], just so they could distance the game from 4e.

And yet it's still characterized as having a "cooldown" because it's part of the whole deliberate smear campaign to portray 4e as being bad by routinely comparing it to MMOs and therefore "not real D&D"

And I'm sure the art in the Art and Arcana book is mighty fine - it was just surprising (or maybe not really) how much they're still loving that chicken in the copy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arthil posted:

Would you guys be just as angry if they omitted the WoW comparison entirely?

no. It would be better if they did that, because it means they wouldn't be engaging in historical revisionism.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mendrian posted:

"4e is a videogame!" is a point people will fight because it was repeatedly wheeled out as a) hyperbole and b) as proof that 4e wasn't 'real D&D' because something something attention spans something something shallow gameplay.

yeah, it's a dogwhistle. Nobody who characterizes 4e as "polarizing" then says 5e was some kind of return to form makes the comparison to World of Warcraft as a compliment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
4e fights taking longer than they could have because the math was busted until later revisions is a legitimate point, but preferring 5e (or 3e) just because there's less for the player to do goes back to the whole "if you don't want to engage that much with the rules, you should probably play something else"

because when you do get to play 3e with a party composed of a Psion, a Warlock, a Crusader, and a Druid, and when you're going up against higher-CR enemies, almost all of which have their own spells or spell-like abilities, the amount of time combat takes isn't that much less. Hell, even in 5e you still want your martial character's Bonus Actions to become extra attacks or have riders as much as possible, and then everyone else is a caster, so really the only way it's faster is if you're blowing up the encounter with singularly powerful spells anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DJ Dizzy posted:

Speaking of the ToB:Bo9S, is there a 5e equivalent? Homebrew or otherwise?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/219565