Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Am I missing something? Why does that dragon only have four saves listed?

Those are the saves it has proficency in. For STR and INT you'd just use the straight bonus. It's not a great way to present the information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
The only difference in the Fighter I can see from my 02/14 Alpha Playtest doc is the Archery Fighting Style got bumped from "+1" to "+2".

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

dwarf74 posted:

I was explaining what version I was referring to, pointing out that it was stronger in the one I was referring to.

The February playtest was the first doc I looked at so there have could been a bunch more changes.

My Next game is tonight. I need to convince my DM we should play a different system.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I wonder if the advanced races are going to have subraces, too. That'd be rad.

None of the other races had subrace options from what I recall. Also I would rock the variant Human every time.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Even Paizo managed to fix Knock. Ritual or not it sucks.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

moths posted:

Attribute damage is back?
Good news!

Vampires and Stirges just reduce your max HP.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

dwarf74 posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

What's this from, btw? Please tell me it's an early thing and there is not really stat damage. Please?

Secret Monster Manual circa 06/2014

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's Personally not a big deal to me (If you don't memorize them you can always write them down as well) as the ones in the starter set have pretty simple spells that are rather easy to remember. Besides there won't be nearly as many monsters with spells in the statblock as their used to be.

You are the poster child for "modules". Like the ultimate Jerry's Kid.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

PeterWeller posted:

They put out a nice book at the end of 3.5 called Grand History of the Realms that explains everything up to the Spell Plague, which was the big event that changed everything for 4E. 4E picks up about 100 years later, and the events of those 100 years are vague and scattered across a few novel timelines. But none of that really matters now because the current big event, The Sundering, is going to revert many of those changes.

Here's a short list of stuff that happens between the BG games and now if you don't wanna search further:
*Khelben hooks up Fzoul so the latter can take control of the Zhents.
*Fzoul kills Manshoon unleashing scores of pissed off, crazy Manshoon clones and Manshoon wars begin.
*Khelben gets booted from the Harpers and starts his own crew.
*Xvim splits open and Bane comes out.
*Manshoon Wars settle down leaving 3 left including one who is a vampire and runs the thieves in Westgate.
*Phaerimm almost destroy Evereska.
*In related events, Netherese enclave returns from the Shadow plane and begins trying to reclaim the old empire.
*Crazy flight of dragons happens caused by Sammaster, who is destroyed by adventurers thwarting his plan.
*Azoun dies slaying a red wyrm. His bad rear end niece becomes regent.
*Obould unites orc hordes, establishes Kingdom of Many Arrows and signs treaties with Mithril Hall and the Silver Marches.
*Hidden Imaskari return. Are pretty cool.
*Crazy Drow poo poo goes down, leaving only Lolth, Ellistrae, and Ghaunadar standing. Ched Nassad is destroyed.
*Crazy Mask poo poo goes down involving his chosen. Mask "disappears."
*Hosttower of the Arcane is destroyed, Luskan falls into more chaos.
*Cyric tricks Tyr into killing Helm and exiling himself. Cyric then teams up with Shar to murder Mystra. All kinds of magical hell breaks loose and setting gets changed for 4E.
*Badass warlocks take over Vaasa.
*Vampire Manshoon takes over Zhents.
*New Netheril expands.
*New nice Imaskar expands.
*Cormyr expands.
*Lords Alliance retracts.
*Neverwinter is almost totally destroyed when Mt. Hotenow blows.
*Neverwinter Campaign book happens.
*Ao decides to rewrite the Tablets of Fate. Crazy god and chosen poo poo goes down. People you love and people you hate come back.
*5E begins.

E: despite the length of that, there's stuff I have forgotten about involving Yuan-Ti and places like Amn. Also, the order may be incorrect in places.

why_i_hate_FR.txt

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

ProfessorProf posted:

Some of these sound so cool but I just know that 5e is going to ruin the potential.

I assume Eldritch Knight (:black101:) is a fighter who gets a few wizard spells, and not anything actually cool or interesting? I would be delighted to be wrong!

Enjoy. Or not. It's up to you. Or it's up to the DM.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I got to use the "Goad" Battle Master ability. Then the monster just flew away. I felt super OP.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Jack the Lad posted:

The Inspirational Reading appendix is a lot better than I'd expected.

I particularly like this title.

I like that they included A Wizard of Earthsea, a story where the conciet of magic is that wizards shouldn't cast spells.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Idea for a Fighter fix. Give him all 3 archetypes at once.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Jack the Lad posted:

I've done a bunch more work on my sheet, including transcribing the stat blocks of every monster of the DM Basic and Hoard of the Dragon Queen Supplement PDFs by hand for easier analysis.

You can find it here but you'll need to File -> Make a copy before you can tinker with it.

I've included the chance for each monster to make each kind of save against a PC of level = CR, and it turns out the best chance anything has to save against its lowest save is 40%.

A Stone Golem (described as 'nearly impervious to spells') can never pass an Int or Cha save from a PC caster and has a 28% chance of making a Dex save and a 36% chance of making a Wis save - after taking into account its advantage against magic.

Hey Jack, your spreadsheet is down.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Slashrat posted:

As in, he made a roll for each person in the crowd? :psyduck:

Wouldn't want to rob the NPC's of their agency.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Rosalind posted:

We haven't seen the DMG yet so it's hard to say. I hope they continue talking about DMing in terms of satisfying the different player types that were present in the 4E DMG (instigator, storyteller, actor, etc.) as that was my favorite part and honestly probably the most useful tool as a DM because it makes you think more about the most important question as a DM: "What would my players find fun, challenging, and interesting?"

Alpha playtest DMG doesn't have anything about DM advice. I figure they'll just copy/paste the 3.0 DMG section and call it a day.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Ryuujin posted:

Oh man you got to see the Alpha DMG as well? Did the alpha have rules for playing as monsters as the preview for the actual DMG had listed?

I don't think so but I'll double check when I get home from work. The document I got was 49 pages so there is quite a bit missing. I posted a summary in the imp zone thread if someone can find it.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Father Wendigo posted:

Did the Alpha DMG have any indications for how to run a campaign without Magic Items? I'm genuinely curious as to how they're going to tackle that.

Dug up my summary.

LongDarkNight posted:

secret DMG is from 07/30, this turd is so fresh the flies haven't showed up yet. no magic items sadly.

highlights:
costs to construct building
costs for hirelings
downtime activites (most of which have a 20% chance of going to jail for 5d6 days)
domains (kingdom builder rules)
using miniatures!!!
travel hazards
diseases
poisons
madness
traps
puzzles
modifying races
creating new races
monsters as characters
modifying classes

optional rules:
training to level up
trading in magic items
flanking
attacking cover
morale
action points
called shots
alternate skill systems (13th age backgrounds are an option)
vitality
spell points
skill points
single strike (1 attack roll, cumulative damage)
second wind
rest variants
proficiency dice
massive damage
marking
facing
cleaving through the horde
automatic success
chases
cantrip slots
action points (again?)
group initiative
weapon speed
passive initiative
gestalt characters

bonus content

:bsdsnype:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Jack the Lad posted:

How do monsters as characters work?

I am Jack's complete lack of advice.

Sorry Jack, you complete me.

I think I found a cure, thank your Mr. Mearls.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I actually prefer "whatever let the DM figure it out, here's some guidelines" to the 3E approach of "here's a system of racial hit dice and poo poo that doesn't work for poo poo and produces only overpowered and worthless PCs" and 4E's "going through every humanoid and giving them two random stats and an arbitrary racial bonus that again tends to result in them being underpowered or bugbears". I'd rather see them not even try than half-rear end it in a core book and canonize some busted, stupid poo poo that every player will then assume is canonical and should be allowed without amendment, which is what both 3E and 4E did with monster PCs in the core.

It's a weird topic to address because you know there's a 0% chance they won't release a race book with minotaurs and undead and poo poo in it at some point just like every other edition.

EDIT: Or was it hobgoblins? Whichever one of them got monkey grip as a racial feature

True, it's not the worst advice. It will lead to people saying, "Well, it's not that way at my table :smug:." In comparison they devote 2 pages to optional rules for "chase" scenes. I don't want to ruin the ending but the guy who can cast Hold Person and Dimension Door is going to make your high movement and Con scores pointless.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
It's up to your DM.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I think every session of Next so far with my group someone has asked if the game has Second Wind or Rally. Then made a frowny face when told no. The DMs wife also quit the game. It was more than a little awkward.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Babylon Astronaut posted:

They think hitdice are a replacement for healing surges. Bloodied is a bridge too far. Until they release the module the other team is working on.

Not an option in DMG. Probably never.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

moths posted:

Is there enough core system to actually support those promised modules? The combat module would essentially be a new game, and "freeform story game" kinda needs to be that way from the start.

It's the opposite problem, there's too much core. Most people aren't going to bother recalculating all the saves as defenses or any other significant conversions. A modular game needs a simple, solid foundation like Fate or PbtA. With Next you're starting with too many assumptions.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

ProfessorCirno posted:

You know, eventually, you're going to have to agree that the game has in fact been released.

You're giving him too much credit.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

FMguru posted:

The original AD&D was released one book a year (MM in 1978, PHB in 1979, DMG in 1980). Mearls is just trying to bring back that old classic D&D "feel".

Or if you were in the secret playtest and saw the emails you'd know Mearls can't turn in his homework on time.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
My buddy is writing a level 1-20 campaign for Next. Is necromancer Wizard still the go to option?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
The concept is awesome, no doubt. How is the execution in Mike Mearl's Mearlsiest Edition?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

gtrmp posted:

Oh wait, I forgot, there were no design lessons to be learned from Eberron 4e because 4e never happened.

At last, our long national nightmare is over.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Hope you guys like Forgotten Realms, just got a 20 page doc of race descriptions and language bullshit. It has a blurb for Duergar stats and variant half elfs, otherwise no mechanics. Not sure why this needs to go to playtesters.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Got an email from my GM with a suggestion for a new feat.

quote:

Improved Concentration

While you have this feat you can concentrate on a number of spells equal to your spellcasting modifier.
When you take damage you must make concentration checks for each concentration spell you are currently concentrating on.

:v:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Sage Genesis posted:

Wait... your DM wants to introduce that feat into his own game?

Yup. I think it's mostly intended for his wife who plays a Druid. Do they have a lot of concentration spells?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Libertad! posted:

I heard that the Dungeon Master's Guide has advice on playing monsters as PCs, but overall how comprehensive and useful is it for fitting a variety of monsters? Like goblins, mind flayers, vampires, etc?

Apologies if this has been asked already.

Current playtest doc has a bunch of new "standard" races: Aasimar, Firbolgs, Lizardfolk, Tabaxi, Tritons; and Monstrous races: Goblin, Hobgoblin, Bugbear, Kobold, Orc and Yuan-ti. There's also Diablo style runes you can use on items but they're unimpressive from my first reading.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Tried to ghost ride the Apparatus of Kwalish last session. My DM is old and no fun. I will maintain until my dying day that no one can ghost ride the whip like a warforged necromancer.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Doresh posted:

Is there even a canonical explanation for where their divine spells come from? Certainly not from the same source as Druids or Clerics, cause they can't actually fall.

Smoking trees to get closer to the gods.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

FMguru posted:

Blame John W. Campbell, the long-time editor of Analog (the SF magazine) for that - he was a big believer in and promoter of the science of psionic powers. He was also a big believer in the science of Dianetics, the Dean Drive, the "Hieronymous Machine", and the truth underlying the Shaver Mystery.

Well that was some wild poo poo I hadn't heard about before, thanks! Learned something too.

Richard Sharpe Shaver posted:

In the role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons, which was heavily influenced by pulp and weird fiction in its development, there exists a race of evil subterranean dwarves called the derro, which were first described in the AD&D First Edition Monster Manual II. These derro make raids on the surface to kidnap humans for use as slaves and food, and some among them, called Savants, possess magical and psychic powers which they can use to influence people's minds. They are said to have a main stronghold deep underground where they plot the overthrow of humanity.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

FRINGE posted:

Does anyone know how that one happened?

I found this in a really old magazine a while back.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Google isn't helping but I think the article I got that image from predates D&D by about a decade so it's definitely something older.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
That's awesome and fills me with so much shame that I couldn't bust out anything like it when I ran Way of the Wicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Slippery42 posted:

As for the new Wizard archetype, this is the first UA option I'd immediately tell my players they can't use because of balance concerns. I think there's only one creature in the MM immune/resistant to force damage, so welcome to fireballs working on everything. As for changing saving throws, here's the magnitude of that ability: Among all creatures in the MM, the average con saving throw bonus is 3.16. The average int saving throw is -0.63. If you only look at CR 10 and up, the average bonuses are 9.15 and 3.85, respectively, so this can represent a 4-5 point increase to the Wizard's save DC on average, depending on level. Now combine that with the assumption that they balanced the effects of spells requiring a con save against the lower probability that it will land.

Tasha's Hideous Laughter but with a Con save. Re-skin it as farting on your enemies. Fart's are funny.