Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Razorwired posted:

The larger pool doesn't really help since every Roll20 recruitment effort turns into reading 90 gaming resumes and Original Adventurer: Do Not Steal character bios.

My Gaming Resume:

Hi, I like to murderhobo my way across the realms and I have a working microphone and I don't obsess over fiddly rules interactions. I show up on time, ready to go, and I don't put up with racism, misogyny, bigotry, or homophobic slurs. Have dice - will travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Firstborn posted:

Unrelated note:

Matthew Lillard is apparently releasing a $500 unlicensed companion box for Dragon Heist. He had a AMA on the 5E Reddit recently and..
https://www.beadleandgrimms.com/

Every comment he makes is pretty much, "I've played D&D way before you heard of it, it just wasn't popular so you didn't hear about it"

Wait. Matthew Lillard, like Shaggy?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

doctor 7 posted:

?

Q: WHO ARE YOU?
A: The short answer is that we are a new company, licensed with Wizards of the Coast, that was founded with the goal of making your games great.

Make D&D Great... Again?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

If I were looking for a new adventure to run in the nearish future, I'd at least consider it. But it is very highly priced for what it is. I can only assume most of that cost is wrapped up in physical props ( It looked like you got a white dragon scale that was to scale from the stream? ) and miniatures.

This reminds me a lot of the special edition of Rise of the Runelords that Pathfinder did: http://paizo.com/products/btpy8tg1

They didn't do any other ones like that though, which begs the question, is there just no that much of a market for this?

I showed it to my buddy who routinely splashes cash on the dumbest poo poo and even he said "With what they'd shown, this should really be about $250".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gumball Gumption posted:

I earnestly hope that there is no market for $500 dollars in supplies to play pretend.

Are you kidding me? I know folks who easily drop that much in minis and terrain for a campaign.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pls let me know if I have the mechanics of this right:
  • Bugbear / Rogue 3 / Assassin Archetype
  • Dual-Wielding Shortswords (1d6)
  • On a surprise round, rolls advantage.
  • Main-hand, on hit, auto-crits, adds 2d6 Sneak Attack (4d6 crit), adds 2d6 Surprise Attack (4d6 crit) = 10d6 + DEX
  • Off-hand, on hit, auto-crits, does not get Sneak Attack or Surprise Attack, does not get DEX for damage = 2d6

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes to all except surprise rounds don't exist. Whether a creature is 'surprised' (which works as a condition despite not being listed under conditions) during the first round of combat is entirely up to the DM.

Yes, I guess I should have specified "against a surprised target".

Relentless posted:

There is SOME wiggle room on if a creature is still "surprised" after the first hit, and thus gets the autocrit on the offhand, but I feel like you should be able to successfully argue that a bugbear dropping 10d6+dex is pretty freaking surprising.

I was working off this UA: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

quote:

If anyone is surprised, no actions are taken yet. First, initiative is rolled as normal. Then, the first round of combat starts, and the unsurprised combatants act in initiative order. A surprised creature can’t move or take an action or a reaction until its first first turn ends (remember that being unable to take an action also means you can’t take a bonus action). In effect, a surprised creature skips its first turn in a fight. Once that turn ends, the creature is no longer surprised.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Relentless posted:

In any case, if the DM is letting your dual wield bugbear rogue get a surprise attack off, he should be pretty okay with you just deleting whatever you're attacking and the 12th d6 after the first 11 of them roll isn't really the problem.

Yeah, Bugbears are racially proficient in Stealth and have +1 DEX, so a 16DEX + Prof + Expertise is +7 Stealth level 1, and with the PHB definition of "Otherwise, the DM compares the Dexterity (Stealth) checks of anyone hiding with the passive Wisdom (Perception) score of each creature on the opposing side.", and having a cleric give me a 10-round charge of Guidance for a d4 before I engage, I only need to roll a 4 on average to beat a lot of passive Perception checks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, I'm scouting forward well in advance of my party (basically at the edge of their visual range). I fully expect this to bite me in the rear end at some point. It also has the unintended side effect of marginalizing a lot of my party in the early game because anything I get the jump on is exploding pretty fast right now. I've been trying to be mindful to help the DM keep everyone involved instead of just doing everything I can see before my party catches up.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Assassin is a garbage archetype that needs DM fiat to function at all, and when it does work it encourages a playstyle inherently incompatible with the cooperative problem-solving game that is D&D.

:smith: I just wanted to stab dudes lots.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
FWIW, there's the whole bit where you can assassinate as ranged attack, so chucking a couple of daggers from range drops your base damage roll from 1d6 to 1d4, but there should be more leniency in getting surprise from range. I mean, I could even take a shortbow and assassinate from 80 yards out, which should give a lot more options in not leaving the party behind. We'll see how it plays out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, I appreciate the suggestions to switch archetype, but I really wanted to play a non-caster since my other duder right now is a Wizard, and it seemed like there would be good times to be had playing up a Bubgear in AL. Unfortunately, that means Volo's as my +1, so my only archetypes are Assassin/Thief/Arcane Trickster. Not wanting to be a caster, it got narrowed to Assassain or Thief, so I'm gonna make the best of it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
5th level Grammmarian...

Cone of Mold
Contact Otter Plane
Control Wands
Pawn
Dispel Evil and Gold
Nominate Person
Cream
Bar Step
Blame Strike
Peas
Fallow
Infernal Calming
Insect Plaque
Mass Cute Wounds
Pusswall
Planar Binging
Skull Empowerment
Steel Wind Shrike
Telepathic Bone
Transmute Sock

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Go full-on mmo with Menuing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Tasha's Hideous Slaughter :black101:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Look, here. Just because I want to use my level 9 archetype trait making up a false identity wherein I'm actually the literal Beast from Beauty and the Beast (I'm not actually a Bugbear, I'm a handsome prince who's been cursed), and my level 13 archetype trait learning how to imitate my party members just to annoy them (because let's face it, neither of those traits are ever going to be relevant in AL), and my bonus proficiencies at level 3 are disguise kit (rofl bugbear) and poisoner's kit (come on, now, who's spending gold and downtime in AL to make 1-shot poisons) doesn't mean my Assassinate and Death Strike should also be blank if I can make good RP justification for them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://clips.twitch.tv/AlertOpenElephantLitFam

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqPN4LDdK8M

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I found some dude who wants to trade me a magic item for one I got in an AL session that is really of no value to me.

My DM offered me a cert (which is basically just a blank pdf for me to fill in).

What's the proper procedure/etiquette for trading AL items online? I'm going to be taking this character to cons in the future, so I want everything to be in proper order.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I got a guy at work that purchased one of high tracks of AL at Gencon last year. Him and all his buddies as a full party.

But, he never played AL, so he just forged logs/certs and kitted him and all his buddies out with munchkin'ed poo poo.

And he will never EVER stop talking about how he had some sort of Super Smite Lockadin that swung for hundreds of damage.

And he whined to me about how disappointed he was in his friends for not knowing how to play the minmaxed characters he made.

AND I HEAR ABOUT THIS WEEKLY EVEN STILL.

And he never seems to get why I don't want to listen to his verbal masturbation about his YUGE SMITE CRITS.

---

Meanwhile, I've got a group from another forum of about a dozen or so people, and we're all rolling up a bunch of level 1s and doing old content (SKT/LMoP) and enjoying every minute of it.

I have a gnome wizard that I just traded for a wand for on reddit, and I'm keeping shelved at level 3 so I can play with my buddy and his level 1 cleric at Gencon. My mom's learning to paint figures so we can have rad little metal dudes (and even my owl familiar). SIDE STORY: My mom's never painted figs before and I really don't know anything either, so we went down to the game store this weekend and there was some like 12yo kid there painting mechs and my mom asked him WAT DO and he was soooooooo excited that an adult wanted his opinions on painting little wizard dudes. It was p great.

I have a bugbear assassin that Goons think is hella dumb but I'm just gonna be this bigass wookie tossing out shanks from nowhere, devil may care.

And then, for funsies, and to fill some groups, I rolled a Turtle Barb who is VERY ANGRY ABOUT A LOT OF THINGS, and he's probs gonna be junk because I'm going Sword And Board with Path of the Ancestral Guardian so I can be a bigass meatwall for my party.

I'm super idiotically meticulous about my AL logs and how I'm putting my characters together, not because I'm minmaxing, but because it means something to me personally to be playing on the same field as everyone else and the only way I can make certain of that from my end, is to make sure all my I's are dotted and T's are crossed.

---

So, basically, my coworker cheated the gently caress out of AL and then paid a bunch of money to godzilla-stomp the content and nobody gives a poo poo, and he's miserable.

OTOH, I've allowed myself to be a slave to the rules, and that lets me focus on having stupid, fun dungeon jaunts with my friends, and everyone is happy.

So, yeah, I wish that AL and DNDB were merged and that DNDB was actually a complete product and that AL meant a little more, but I'm still able to find the fun in it for what it is and don't take it to seriously. You do you.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mastershakeman posted:

He's not at your table? How are you justifying this in role playing, or just assuming you paid a peasant a copper a day to shout WTS magic items make offer in a major city?

According to the AL rules:

quote:

Downtime: Trading Magic Items. Magic items can't be given away to another character, but characters can trade permanent magic items received in play with one another on a one-for-one basis. Each party to the trade must spend 15 downtime days to trade the item. If you’re trading with another character playing in the same adventure as you, the downtime cost is waived. Consumable magic items (scrolls, potions, and magical ammunition) can’t be traded. Upon completing the trade, you must create an entry on your log sheet indicating who they traded with (and their DCI number if they have one), the item traded away, and the item received in exchange. Information regarding where the item was located: adventure name, encounter, table number, roll, etc., should be recorded as well. Permanent magic items are traded for other items of like rarity (i.e. uncommon for uncommon, rare for rare, etc.) on a one-for-one basis. The DMG or other official, published D&D products, are considered to be the definitive resource in determining the item’s rarity. Items without a specified rarity are unique, and can’t be traded. Items without any uses remaining also can’t be traded unless the item retains some permanent magical ability. While a certificate isn’t required to facilitate this trade, if the item bears a certificate, it must accompany the trade or destroyed.

But, yeah, the 15 days of downtime represents the time to meetup with the other party and perform the trade and you have to pay your lifestyle expenses for the downtime spent.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DKWildz posted:

Kaysette nailed it. I don't really see the huge issue since there's so many ways to gain advantage in 5E (especially if you're using that 'flanking/outnumbering allies' variant rule in the DMG ... It's only for that first and only attack until the Owl's next turn on that creature, and 90% of the time I was using it to help out a melee party member on their hit rather than myself.

A lot of tables don't use variant rules, and even then, it only helps melee. Your owl can provide advantage on every ranged spell attack you make, and that's kinda busted, which is why WotC should have tried the bare minimum to balance different familiars (and also made familiars a class feature).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DKWildz posted:

I used the Owl to give the melee advantage instead of myself because we have a dual wielder ranger with +2 main and +1 offhand weapons.

Just to be clear, you do know that flyby (and the Help action in general) only apply to the first attack roll of the turn, so it doesn't matter if someone has multiple attacks or is dual-wielding?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Quixzlizx posted:

FWIW, the number one complaint from my players is that combat is too slow (even though they take forever to decide what to do and to roll dice :arghfist:)

Bring a chess clock to the table

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

RC Cola posted:

If I was trying to run a charlatan bard that is basically zapp brannigan what would I need besides high charisma and low wisdom?

Chutzpah

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
PHB and Character Builder just dropped on Roll20: https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/29/players-handbook

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ritorix posted:

Beyond added these shareable character link things and changed up their UI a bit.

a fighter - https://ddb.ac/characters/1020741/SvbbuQ

a sorcerer

PS: They look 100x better on desktop browser than mobile because they focused on the desktop version now, since they found out 70% of people we're accessing DDB via a desktop resolution.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I think you'll find that the forum will divide against itself on whether p132 Halfling or p120 Halfling is best in life. Begun, the Smallfolk Wars have.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
WTF is this??? Smallfolk own and Gnomes and Halflings would be my fist choice for Wizards and Rogues, respectively.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cephas posted:

I think ever since I saw Mazzy Fenten in Baldur's Gate 2, characters who are little but brave, strong, and tenacious have been really cool to me

Same, but Willow.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I think I know the answer, but why do like 90% of special abilities say "oncee per long rest", but a very few (like the drow innate spells) say "once per day"?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mendrian posted:

The slightly less pessimistic answer: Monster innate abilities are usually X per day, I think, so maybe it's an example of lifting something from drow-as-monsters?

Sounds like a possibility, since the only PHB examples I could think of are the Drow and Tiefling innate spells.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Unoriginal Name posted:

Why does no class have Con as a primary stat

A very large failing, imo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CJ posted:

By the way, are there any interesting ways to challenge ranged fighters other than having melee guys get in their face? My original idea was to have the boss arena be a maze that would damage them if they moved over the lines but then i realised all that would do would piss off the melee, and as an avid paladin player i sympathise with them.

Boss arena has wind shears coming through at odd angles, like your maze walls. They aren't too hard to move through for a full size person, but they cause ranged attacks drawn through them to be at disadvantage.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Lightly Armored, Weapon Master, Durable, Dwarven Fortitude

Explain why these are worse with +2 attributes vs. +1 attributes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toebone posted:

As written, the ambush and goblin cave that start LMoP can be pretty deadly for first level characters. Don't be afraid to fudge the rolls a bit or intervene if things go sideways. 6 PCs should be able to handle it though.

Yeah, we just got through the cave on our 2nd session (we're slow going), and , man, any encounter we get the jump on is trivialized and any time the goblins got the jump on us, we were basically down to the bone after 1-2 rounds. It's been terribly unfun, as action economy has been king and I've personally just been unable to participate in some fights because "arrows fly out of the darkness and hit your dumb 14ac rear end for 125% of your max hp" has been hella non-interactive and with only 3-4 PCs there's not even any point in healing me since it just puts us further behind.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

tote up a bags posted:

3d6 is cowardice, embrace accidentally stabbing your friendly NPC after crit missing, namaste.

Also I DM for the first time tomorrow, but it's session 0 so we're rolling characters.
I decided to do standard array because I want to encourage players to care about what they can do and narratives over big numbers.
I also asked them to design a character based on what they want to do/the personality they want to play rather than a mechanical class, and we're going to talk these over and then pick a class for each player based on their ideas and my suggestions.

Any other ideas for session 0 for new players? (And a few experienced players through they promised me they will be well behaved)

Maybe take a look at this: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/601awb/session0_topic_checklist_and_guide/

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That's some "gotta let him play, this is america" poo poo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The other 20% are neutral evil.