Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Depending on how much an elephant's ribcage can hold, it could definitely be used as an "armored" troop transport. Skelephant runs through enemy lines and the troops it's holding drop off directly behind it to take advantage of the shock and awe and take out anything the skelephant has not yet trampled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

That's not particularly helpful.

Welcome to the problems with class based systems!

To be more precise, coming into a class based system with a general concept or inspiration ends up being more trying to fit the square peg of what you want into the round hole of what is actually possible. Sometimes, if the idea is broad or general enough, it can fit the prescribed molds available for characters, but ultimately, there are only so many options available. D&D actually pushes characters into even more prescribed molds given that their capabilities are generally set in stone. However, some of these molds are far more flexible and all encompassing in others because Magic can fill in the gaps created by trying to stretch one class's abilities into another.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Because of endless wandering monsters, even while dungeon crawling, there were time constraints. Barring Rope Trick shenanigans, an unlimited want of Cure Light Wounds would only get so far before another encounter triggers

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Within the last couple of pages we've had discussions about a West Marches campaign, grappling rules, experience/leveling rates, and fighting a black dragon with an underleveled party so I don't really know where you get off saying all we ever do in this thread is bitch about 5th Edition.

Because yeah, you're right, we technically don't need a separate thread, but the one that we didn't need was the advice thread, because there's never been an instance in this thread where someone has come in with a question that didn't get a straight answer, except over there we can't call you out on your ridiculous DMing practice of layering ability checks on top of ability checks, including DC 5 to just begin to intimidate someone.

Oh wait, I'm sorry - DC 5 WITH ADVANTAGE, because more dice = better than
Wait, someone's making a person roll a DC 5 check? With advantage? Wtf? Really?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Positivity is not generally a place where improvements are built since it implies a satisfaction and lack of desire to improve. Negativity, otoh, is where improvements are built since there is recognition of what's broken and needs fixing.

Positivity is to show what works. Negativity is to show what doesn't.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kitchner posted:

There's a difference between being constructive and just being plain negative though.

Yep, just like there's a difference in saying that something is good and why that something is good.

Unlike most places which just spin its wheels with bitching or self-fellating, SA and others which allow complaints to run free but keep boring circlejerking on the down low will actually try and remedy the problems in a system beyond meager houserules up to and including full scale overhauls. The difference between bandaids and major surgery

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

I could see adding a third but the problem is that any more than 3 and this guy has a weird number of martial combat options compared to everything else in the game. Open Hand monks get 3 combat options before 17, Shadow monks arguably get one option every every upgrade (silence is the only level 3 option worth a drat, "okay guys hold on, I'm gonna cast darkvision on everyone and then 5 rounds I'll cast darkness!"). Fighter gets two combat options at level 3, etc. etc. etc.

So I guess I'd be nervous about having this totally incongruous buffet.

For the upgrade path, it definitely sucks. It'd probably be better to have 3 levels of the initial options given at 3, 6, and 11, and then have the 17 options be an entirely new set that adds a new option.

A variation would be 5 steps, more evenly distributed with 2 abilities picked up at 3 and then every two levels either upgrading a pre-existing one or picking up another ability until level 13.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Demon Knights is also an excellent fantasy romp even if it uses DCU characters

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Trast posted:

I picked up the Fell's Five collections and they are great. Also I'm seconding Rat Queens it's in the same spirit and very entertaining. Demon Knights was pretty fun too so of course DC shitcanned it. :v:

I need to dig up the panels of Vandal Savage joyously looking forward to the opportunity at beating up dinosaurs and eating them after thousands of years

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Littlefinger posted:

:allears:
Please never stop posting.

He might if ADTRW kicks him out, but when have they ever kicked anyone out?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Cleric is likely to drop his flail holding it like that (gently caress I JUST SMASHED MY FOOT), and bowwoman is not going to be doing her arm or wrist any favors by holding the bow like that. Not to mention you can't draw the bow back nearly as far as you could if you were holding it normally.

The bowwoman isn't gonna hurt anyone, let alone herself, without a freaking bowstring.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Master Twig posted:

Please talk to my friends. They claim all the spellcasters have limitations that bring them down to the same level and that you can be effective with any class you want. They all also think that 4e is a terrible system. I swear it's like I'm playing different games than all of them.

Ask them how to make a fighter effective in non combat roles

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Assuming classes were balanced, a "fun"and fair method has everyone roll their stats by whatever method (3d6, 4d6 drop lowest, average of 6d6 times 3, etc) and then put them into one big list. Then everyone communally picks out stats from that communal list. This makes it so everyone's stats is balanced with each other's

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I meant that if only one person rolled an 18, then there'll be only one stat of 18 in the entire party

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

At that point, why roll at all?

It starts with a v.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I have literally never heard anyone talk about any sort of Living/Organized League roleplaying in a way that didn't make it sound like the most miserable way to spend one's time in existence. All the fun of joyless, petty bureaucracies managed by nerds combined with the typical high standards of quality found in most prewritten adventures, sign me the gently caress up.

If there was a sort of tournament style competition and reward setup going on, it'd make more sense. As it is, it seems like organization for the sake of organization. There's also the factor that the system itself isn't rigorously ruled enough to make organised play completely consistent

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FMguru posted:

It does comport with my suspicion that Hasbro's plan is to keep D&D around in maintenance mode. A backwards looking retrograde edition with just a trickle of ongoing support plus reprints of core books from previous editions, combined with zero effort to reach new audiences or market or promote or evolve or develop the property means doing the bare minimum for keeping the game in print and alive in hopes of cashing on its retro-nostalgic nerd brand name somewhere down the line.

I suspect it's only backwards looking because of Mearls and if someone with different ideas were in the lead dev chair, the game would be utterly different since it would still be a minor line item on WotC and Hasbro's income with the game only existing to keep the brand warm in case either of them want to try and use it again for something more than elfgames.

Surprisingly, they haven't made any moves that would seem to allow them to capitalize off of Game of Thrones. I'd think D&D would have something in it that could be marketable as a fantasy drama, but I guess they don't see it having high prospects or high returns

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

wallawallawingwang posted:

I'm not sure the only way to 'fix' D&D is by reinventing 4e. If the problem is balancing a Linear Fighter with a Quadratic Wizard, you can go 4e's route and make everything linear. Alternatively, you can try and make everything quadratic. Which, roughly speaking, was what I was trying to do (I'm not sure how successfully) with my fighter brainstorming. It also seems to be the path taken by Exemplars and Eidolons, though that's a pretty niche product. I feel like there are a lot of possible ways to approach the issue. But none of them will be explored until the D&D design team understands the what the problem actually is. If you really break it down into the most basic, most practical terms, D&D and most other GMed systems are closer to complicated verbosely written games of mother-may-I than anything else.

In this version of the game, however, players are much more likely, but not guaranteed, to get a yes if there are specific rules which say they can do something. The DM's ability to say yes and no is only mitigated by largely unwritten social conventions. When a player says "Mother, may I make this scene about how everything is on fire now (because I cast fireball)," the DM can actually say no. "Whoops! There is an anti-magic field here suddenly," or, " Nope. Nothing in this room is flammable, just like the last 87 rooms." But the unwritten conventions say that a DM only gets to deny a spell caster those sorts of ways a little bit before players call bullshit and leave. Or subvert the game. Or just hunch miserably at the table passively sucking the joy out of the room.

Now if a player instead says "Mother, may I make this scene about how everything is on fire now (because my tactical genius fighter obviously would have told the town militia to bring a shitload of flaming arrows that they, just now, are shooting down at us)," social convention gives the DM a lot more leeway to say no. EG: "Well, you didn't SAY that you were bringing the town militia, so no." Or even: "Sure. You give the order to fire, but its really windy. Go ahead and roll perception for the militia to see if they hear you." Even though the effect (eveything is now on fire) is identical. This remains true even in a system like 4e, where the page 42 guidelines would let you say yes in consistent and balanced way.

In this model, maintaining intra-party balance, that is stuff like everyone doing a useful amount of damage, isn't exactly the issue. The issue is making sure every player get the same number and strength of 'becauses" and then explicitly setting those unwritten social expectations that determine when the DM can get away with saying no to a cool idea.

To make all that theory a little more concrete, someone mentioned that if the level 20 capstone for a fighter was do infinite damage and have infinite HP, they'd still be weaker than a level 20 wizard. After all, the level 20 wizard can just say "I cast planar bullshit and slip between dimensions," and have it work 99% of the time. Whereas if the infinite fighter tried to slice the fabric of space time the DM would tell Jeff to knock it off with his animeforbabieswowtalk.

One of the things that separates a spell caster from a martial is how hard coded the ways they can affect everything via spells. If a Wizard was written as basically as a Martial, they'd have a basic spell (ala a cantrip) that did some sort of damage effect each time its cast with no limits on how its cast as a basic attack and have to pick up new "spells" just like Feats and have them be on par with the others. Other spells would be achieved as part of class features and so forth since a single spell is frequently, at minimum, the worth of an entire feat or class ability if not more. To make Martials quadratic, they'd need to obtain as many tricks and abilities as a Wizard or other caster got spells with a similar amount of efficacy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FRINGE posted:

The discussion is more fun when people are talking about adjusting it to work better for different groups than fantasizing about moral superiority based on not playing a thing.

The problem is that such adjustments are so broad and sweeping and fundamentally altering, that the end result is something so far from the original that it's not even the same game anymore. At which point, it isn't even the original game any more, but something entirely different that should've been chosen in the first place (or something more similar) as opposed to going through all of the rigmarole of such sweeping changes

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If I wanted a crunch heavy Fantasy system, that's what FantasyCraft is for.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

So what's an efreet? Heroes of Might and Magic depicted them as evil, fiery versions of genies, but I'm sure that's not totally accurate, if at all.

Efreet are a subtype of jinn or genie. All genies are powerful and made from "smokeless fire." Efreet are just one of them and mentioned in 1,001 Arabian Nights.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Selachian posted:

It's not far off, really. Efreets (ifrits, afrits, whatever) are also a type of jinn, but they're nasty, demonic troublemakers rather than obedient servants like Aladdin's genies.

Jinn were one of three "races" God created and like humans, had free will. Unlike humans, they were magically powerful, but prone to deception. Efreet only get one mention in Arabian Nights and is a dick. Others vary from nice to devious to dickish. Efreet are also supposed to be the next to highest on the jinn tiers in terms of power.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Really Pants posted:

How often does any damage source deal 50% of anything's max HP, and how often is that not enough to just drop the target outright?

Low levels is my first guess.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kingcom posted:

There's no gradual buildup or risk when participating in it, theres no narrative going on, some classes straight out ignore it or have saves that just let me pass it (im going to assume the DCs are going to be all over the place). Theres also no ability to ignore or avoid this stuff as a player since you're specifically going to be facing it without any alternative. Reducing it is dependent on having the right spellcasting classes to just fix the issue too. None of this sounds remotely appealing.

The fact that's it's just Level 1, 2 and 3 is really kinda terrible since it can just suddenly happen with no warning. IMO, it'd be better as a track like HP with triggers at 1/4, 1/2 and max or something so that there's an actual buildup in tension as the character slowly feels like they're going to snap at any moment and the players have something to really illustrate an actual sort of growing sense of dread.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

You're really this dense, aren't you?

Well how debilitating would, in game, alcoholism be?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is my point. Plus you would be in the underdark not going to find any easily there.

I wasn't making a point. I was asking the question: what, in the rules, would the effect be? Is there already rules for addiction in the DMG or do GMs have to make it up on the fly? If it's on the fly, what would prevent discrepancies in organized play between the mechanical effects? If there aren't any mechanical effects, what's to incentivize the player to actually playing up their alcoholism beyond the GM slapping them once in a while about their alcoholism? If there's nothing, then it's not really debilitating at all then, is it?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

What happens when/if Hasbro gives it up? Paizo comes in and saves the day, releases the new, true DnD we've always wanted? :kheldragar:

I think it's up to WotC as to what to do with it, not necessarily Hasbro. As for who might pick it up if dropped, it could probably be anyone. Paizo and Fantasy Flight are obvious choices (and I'd lean towards Fantasy Flight since I think they're the bigger company), but a smaller company like WizKids or AEG or Green Ronin might swoop in and snatch it for the right deal. On the other hand, a larger company with deeper pockets like Disney or Time Warner by way of Marvel or WB via DC Comics respectively might take it for the intellectual property assets.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LGD posted:

it would actually seem to be an easier setting to adapt into the sort of game most players think of when they hear "RPG" post-Mending though, because prior to that Planeswalkers were operating at such a high level that you'd probably need a fairly abstract/freeform system to make things workable

Afaict, Pre-mending, Walkers were closer to something out of Nobilis than D&D unless they were very new. Post-mending, they're basically mid to high-level D&D characters with the ability to go between planes. Unless I'm getting the lore of a trading card game wrong, that's how it is.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

You know, this sort of turns itself around and turns everyone back into Fighters rather than Fighters needing to be "magical"

+1 attack bonus every level and 1d6 damage per hit, except Wizard adds his INT instead of STR and the AC comes from ... mirror images or some poo poo rather than plate armor

Honestly, that's not a bad thing if the goal is to simplify the game to balance out the options available to classes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I'm the GM, my group wants to switch from Dungeon World to DnD, they want something more structured and crunchy, with defined turns, grids, and all that. That means I have to learn DnD 5e, (They saw it on "Critical Roll" w/e that is and are in love.) I've never run a pre-genned adventure before, and normally just "wing it" what's some good resources for a guy like me?

I saw the Donjon thing and read the op, which I will be using a ton, and am leafing through the DM's manual right now. I guess I also have to learn how to create characters, unless there's a character creator already out. Not to mention a repository of battlemaps. (Preferably with hexgrids.)

There's also FantasyCraft for all of the mechanical crunch you'll want. Or go balls to the wall with crunch and pick something like RoleMaster or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

denimgorilla posted:

Are there any good forum suggestions for constructive 5e discussion? The WOTC forums are... not so great. Giant in the Playground has the occasional good discussion.

Define constructive, because while there's a lot of putting down on playing 5e over any other game, it's not as though there isn't critical discussion over mechanics and such. The Pathfinder thread runs fine even though everyone knows how poo poo the game is and can get.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

One of many hives of scum and villainy. Will they have no more forums or will they relaunch?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Implication is it's hosed for good.

Now I will have nothing to get my grognards.txt from.

Meh, it was cheating anyway.

There is always more. It is always worse.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Boing posted:

Today I ran a one-shot of Dungeon World for my D&D 5E group and they absolutely loved having interesting things to do, the freeform nature of the narrative and the collaborative worldbuilding. They were planning on running Elemental Evil and Out of the Abyss after we get finished with Tiamat but they're getting me to just continue running straight DW for them instead. I thought the group were very traditional grognardy D&D-heads so it feels great for them to see how to actually have fun with RPGs.

Arguably, this should go in the dungeon world thread.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://dndsports.tv/news/what-is-dndsports/

quote:

DnDSports is the first online D&D Tournament in a cooperative Party vs Party setting from EncounterRoleplay & DnDBeyond with a grand prize of $5,000. Over the course of 4 weeks, 16 players will compete in teams of 4 in single elimination games. Each game is a best of 3 arena battle and played via Roll20.

How is it Played?

The full rules for DnDSports will be released shortly after our next round of Playtesting. We don’t claim to have created perfect balance, nor is that our aim, as every competitive game has an element of strategy. We’re also implementing MOBA-esque mechanics such as a Pick/Ban phase to help expand the strategy. We’ve been working closely with over a dozen talented DMs to create 15 pre-generated characters from which the players will choose, and adapt the pre-existing Dungeons & Dragons: 5th Edition rules.

From what I can ascertain, it's literally going to be a tactical PvP game using Pre-gens and run off of 5th edition. As opposed to, say, building a system from the ground up for this, they're just using a preexisting one and forcing it to fit. It's basically Krossmaster Arena, but with DnD

Edit: missed the cooperative part. Idk wtf.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 15, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
All the selectable characters are pregens, so there's nominally the possibility of balance, but it seems extra video-gamey in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tetracube posted:

Announcer: I'VE NEVER SEEN SUCH A NAT 20 IN MY LIFE *crowd goes wild*

Maybe it'll just be scripted

It'd probably be more interesting if it was. As it stands, I expect it to be two parties rushing to the end and be the first to kill the boss/grab the loot with 1 GM and everything tracked by action/dungeon rounds. All the teams will probably be pre-briefed on how creative they can be and what kind of "stunts" can be pulled and how they'd be adjudicated. Everything will probably end up relatively dry as a result.

The only way to make it interesting while still be a competition is to not do it live and film two sets: a played version where the results are generated and the rules lawyering is done, and a dramatic version where it's the same results but everything is actually exciting and edited to be more shocking or surprising.