Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Second, mind-bogglingly, opportunity attacks are still a reaction. This is a big problem, because classes need their Reactions for other things, like the rogue's Uncanny Dodge or the Fighter's Protection feature. Since you're limited to 1/round, you can't do both in the same round. If you're holding off three goblins, you can't make any OAs after the first one.

The extreme example that was brought to the Devs attention was the classic "Fighter holds enemies at bay by moving into a narrow hallway to force them to come one at a time". With this, you can have 30 orcs all moving in, attacking, and moving out, and the fighter only gets to take a swing at one of them as they retreat.

Say what you want about the 13th Age Fighter — at least it still has its oportunity attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

dwarf74 posted:

Repost from that other thread:

This is awesome. For real, no irony.

This is AWESOME!

Why must the system be lovely, WHY?!

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Thalantos posted:

good player skill

Reading the DM's mind +5 (+8 if, during the past week, I watched the same movie/TV show the DM has; +10 if I'm currently reading the same fantasy novel series the DM is crazy about)
Bribing the DM with pizza +4
Telling the DM how ~*creative~* their LotR-esque railroad-y pile of clichιs is +2

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Lord Twisted posted:

Wow this thread is more negative than I thought it would be! I wanted to ask for a recommendation from people who've done the plastering and stuff for this.

I've got a DnD group who are 40 sessions deep into a 4e campaign - level 13 atm. The story is drawing to a close + combat is getting fairly bloated so we were going to try a new system after this.

I want something more focused on roleplay and not hideously slow combats like 4e. The basic ruleset seemed cool and fairly simple. However I saw people talking about Pathfinder - how easy is that to pick up seeming as me and my players have only ever played 4e? Is it cheaper/less complex/better supported?

We mainly play over Roll20 so that would factor in.

Does it have necromancer player characters...?

Are you familiar with 13th Age? It's quite story/roleplay-oriented (as far as d20 games go at least), and although it shares similarities with 4e, combats tend to run faster. There is a player Necromancer class — it's not in the core book, but in the 13 True Ways supplement. There's a 13th Age thread here — http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634000 —, take a look, ask some questions and see if it suits you.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Jack the Lad posted:

Nope, there is definitely a 267 page alpha PHB floating around (107 pages or 40% of which is spells).

That document is interesting, to say the least.

I thought that Whizzards had eight builds as an attempt to tone down their obscene versatility. Like, the School of Necromancy build is actually a Dread Necromancer under a different name, while School of Enchantment was like the Beguiler, and each of these builds would have their own spell list and poo poo.

Of course not. Wizards aren't real wizards unless they have access to more powers than anyone else because

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Misandu posted:

Why does it have a Dexterity requirement?

Because the feat that did the same thing in 3e was Dex based — http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#combatReflexes

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

MonsterEnvy posted:

What if you don't know you are going to fight a dragon.

Now I remeber why I hate 3e so much. Everytime a glaring system hole is pointed, its defenders go "oh, it's only a problem when the DM doesn't do X, Y or Z".

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Jack the Lad posted:

To be fair the "Yes that is how the rule is written, but here is how I would houserule it" thing is pretty baffling/frustrating.

The essence of D&D is back! Rules shouldn't exist to enable fun gameplay — they must be vague in order to enable passive agressive male teen pecking order bullshit.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

treeboy posted:

are you responding to my post? im just talking about a buddy of mine who kinda typifies 4e hate, not Mearls

To be fair, given Mearls' recent history, it's hard to tell them apart.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Jack the Lad posted:

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on all of 5e so far.

I mean, there is some randomly cool stuff - spells, mostly - but it all just rather reeks of :effort:

:negative: "Natural language" — why convey information practically when you can beat around the bush forever?

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

have it your weigh posted:

The Barbarian Preview is out. I like that they used art that doesn't look like the stereotypical Conan type barbarian. It makes me want to play one for the fist time.

Meh.

In "related topics" — for all the talk about 5e's "progressive art", the ranger (according to the website illustration) is a scantily clad conventionally pretty young woman. One would think the barbarian might be used to balance things and offer players a hot scantily clad dude but no, they had to go with a fugly midde-aged man.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mearls hates the warlord.

This gets forgotten. But every time he's talked about the warlord, it's been with COMPLETE scorn. It's also the only core class not to get an e-version once Mearls took the helm.

Mearls hates the warlord.

Is there any professional RPG designer who currently doesn't hate 4e?

Even Rob Heinsoo*, who's on record saying he had to fight against caster supremacy during 4e design, seems to have some regrets — his treatment of martial classes in 13th Age is clearly a step back in relation to their glory in 4e.

*I won't say Heinsoo hates 4e because his Commander class (i.e. 13th Age's Warlord) is a thing of beauty. But he's clearly been damaged by grog criticism of 4e — 13th Age is full of grog-appeasing compromises.

:negative: It's... frustrating — instead of going forward, d20 designers got grog-scared and ran away back to the year 2000.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
That's true. If I recall correctly, when the Commander class was being designed (it was still called "Battle Captain" at the time), Heinsoo mentioned that Tweet complained that the class design was "more miniatures game than RPG".

Sorry for the 13th Age derail — back to 5e. What really bothers me is that a lot of accumulated knowledge was simply banished from D&D's design space. gently caress, 4e was able to turn class into a style choice — character creation ceased to be a hidden mini-game that you lose by writing "fighter" instead of "wizard" on your character sheet. 4e was honest — the majority of D&D's system, through all the editions, was devoted to combat, so 4e made combat itself interesting.

But no, D&D must pretend it's a deep game about *~story*~, and anything that makes combat or martial classes fun must be burned (presumably so the healing can begin).

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
Classes with a high level of differentiation.

Sorcerers in 4e aren't just Wizards with a less varied repertoire (like they were in 3rd edition and are once again in 5th). Rangers are very different from Fighters without the need to leech Druid spells (like they did in in 3rd edition and do once again in 5th). drat, even classes that, fluff-wise, are very similar — Fighter and Warlord are both armored fighty dudes — play very differently from one another. Even classes of the same role are very different in actual play — although an archery Ranger and a Warlock are both ranged strikers, their toolbox and playing style are wildly different. A Swordmage isn't some lazy hack job of gluing some Wizard on a Fighter chassis — it's its own thing, and different from both Fighter and Wizard.

And those are all AEDU classes. By grog logic, they "should" be the same. And yet they clearly aren't.

I just imagine the 5th edition that good* designers would be able to build with all the system knowledge accumulated during the 4e cycle (like how to balance classes outside the AEDU frame).

*It excludes Mearls, of course. Mearls was there to build non-AEDU classes — and Essentials** turned out to be a less than awesome (although much better than 3rd edition — or 5th).

**Essentials sort of makes the same mistake that 13th Age does — the assumption that if classes are differentiated, non-casters must be low complexity because

Nancy_Noxious fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 31, 2014

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Jimbozig posted:

drat right! I'll have full preview material ready very soon, like this week. Until then, have Ferrinus' latest.

:shepspends:

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

A Catastrophe posted:

No doubt there are plenty of professional devs who like 4e. In fact IIRC Ethan Skemp commented on my 4e monster designs when I was doing one a day for a month, back before 5e was announced.

That's actually good to know.

Now we only need a company willing to pay them to develop 4e-like games. Which I think isn't happening anytime soon. Best case scenario — the nostalgia trend* we see today will, like everything in fashion, come to pass: maybe 6e will be closer to 4e. Worst case scenario — this hobby is a nostalgia latrine through and through, and so we'll get 4e returned when it's old enough to be groggy (and therefore irrelevant design-wise, and plagued by cargo cult mentality instead of the desire for innovation that gave us 4e in the first place).

*Pillar of Eternity, like 13th Age and 5e, has this "let's take the 'best' parts from 'classic' D&D editions and do something that seems modern but really isn't" vibe that reeks of grog tax. Regressive is the new progressive.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Fuschia tude posted:

Exactly; I get the feeling some of the people talking about it in this thread haven't read a word about the design. I'm not talking about the graphics, I'm talking about the gameplay.

No. I went to their site and felt 13th-aged all over again — I was get pretty pumped up "Wow, this game looks super cool, I think I'll like it a lot!" only to be splashed with a bucket of cold water when I went to read the Fighter's abilities.

PoE's Fighter is just the same kind of boring compromise that we see in 5e or 13A — "it should be on the simple side" (because grog tax, I presume), lots of boring passive crap, and (this is the deal-breaker for me) crappy defender mechanics. The PoE Fighter does have a faux defender aura — without any punishment ability to make it respectable! (I'll be vulgar here: a marking mechanic without punishment is like a soft cock — it's cute, but it doesn't do much.)

Jack the Lad posted:

Flexible Attacks (13th Age) are really, really boring/weak/uninspiring. Like, the effects are most definitely not so strong that it would be overpowered to allow the player to decide when to use them.

"Turn a melee crit against you into a normal hit... until the start of your next turn"

"Reroll 1s on damage"

"+2 AC"

I mean, a class feature that was "you cannot be critically hit ever" wouldn't even be overpowered.

Also, Skilled Intercept is pretty bad at letting the Fighter be a defender, they get no out of combat features, etc.

This is basically what's wrong with the 13th Age Fighter, and I think it's because the same underlying principles that makes both the 5e and PoE fighters quite unimpressive:

"Fighters must be the 'I attack class' — in case the fighter gets special attacks, it must be minor/passive stuff on top of said basic attacks"

and

"If fighters get some defender mechanic, it must be bland/minor enough so people won't associate it with 1) MMORPGs and 2) D&D 4e"

As long as the grog tax is paid, fighters will remain unimpressive.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Jack the Lad posted:

The Battle Master's level 15 feature, Relentless, has been heavily nerfed.

Before: If you start a turn with 0 Superiority Dice, regain 2.

Now: If you have 0 Superiority Dice when you roll initiative, regain 1.

"According to the leaked alpha PH, the 'Battle Master' fighter is pretty underwhelming."

"The leaked alpha PH is outdated, you can't criticize the system based on it! Wait for the final PH, it will probably surprise you!"

:allears:

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
Also, your DM can fix the parts you dislike!

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
Because of its combat engine and great class design, 4e is distinctive. For years D&D had (IMO) nothing but brand recognition going on for it — lots of games could deliver a similar experience with better focused design. It is specially true for 3rd edition — stuff like Arcana Evolved, FantasyCraft, Iron Heroes, Blue Rose, etc. How many 4e knock-offs are available right now? If you know of any, please tell me — I'd be very interested in trying it.

5e goes back to where 3e was — there is competition. Take three of 5e's selling points: "draws inspiration from earlier versions of D&D", "TotM" and "it's about *~story*~" — 13th Age and Dungeon World do those three things much better. Why would I waste my time with 5e when there are games that can deliver a similar experience for a much lower grog tax?

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Do you see everyone calming down?

Might be the Stockholm syndrome setting in...

There are nice things in Next — advantage/disadvantage in place is small granular boni and "bigger" feats are things I'd love to see in the 4.5e WotC will never do... —, but let's not forget that Next:

1. Remains messy. I downloaded the Hoard of the Dragon Queen document — the first creature in the bestiary session has PC spells. Martial classes are crap in Next, so I decided to build a Bard* (which is my second favorite class), to see how it would go in the unfortunate case my group picks Next up. While it's nice that the adv/dis mechanic made Vicious Mockery very controller-y, the fact that spells are a) separated from the class write-up and b) (dis)organized alphabetically made the whole thing quite unpleasant. (And reminded me why I no longer like 3.x)

*Using the alpha, of course.

2. It's still caster supremacy edition. Fighters no longer get their defender abilities — because aggro MMO videogame babbies whatever. Meanwhile, enchanters can force an enemy to attack someone else and it's all okay. Minor actions got shafted because too time consuming! and yet spellcasters get obfuscated minor actions.

I see no compeling reason to play Next instead of 13th Age — a game that does real TotM combat instead of "gridless TotM — disclaimer: requires you to imagine a grid in the theatre of the mind".

It's a mediocre system that wouldn't have such devoted defenders if it didn't bear the "Dungeons & Dragons" name in the cover.

(Just to balance the optimism a little.)

edit:

Some questions:

Does casting a spell in melee (i.e. adjacent to a foe) provoke oportunity attacks?

Do wizards still get the class feature that let's them cast spells for free as rituals?

Nancy_Noxious fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 10, 2014

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

ProfessorCirno posted:

I guess it's up to me to be relentlessly negative~!

A lot of stuff on Next that I see is couched in hopefuls. "They WILL make a better fighter..." "They WILL add more things to martials..." "I WILL be able to make a defender..." "They'll have lots of interesting monster types..."

No you won't. No they won't.

I keep saying that 5e is a 2001 game for a reason. Next didn't just abandon basically all 4e design, it abandoned most 3e design, too. 5e isn't meant to be a little of 3e and a little of 4e and a little of AD&D. 5e is meant to be "3e, done again." And part of that means going back to and only to early 3e materials. See, the thing is, as terrible as 3e Core was, 3.x as it got older got more and more interesting and inventive. But 5e has none of that. In fact, 5e has been slowly killing whatever small innovations it ever had, while ensuring none of the innovations of past editions make it in.

Look at the Eldritch Knight. That is straight up pre-3.x class design right there. A fighter who can also sometimes cast a few magic spells, nothing else. No synergy at all, no new mechanics, no bridging the gap between actions, no even ATTEMPT to make anything more then an exceptionally lazy fighter and wizard mashed together.

See I'm not judging 5e by AD&D or by 3e Core. It's not 2001. It's 2014. You compare the product to everything that came before.

Lastly, what we've seen time and time again by Mearls is that 5e is his baby. This is HIS D&D, done the way he wants it to be. You are absolutely never going to see a warlord because this is HIS D&D and he loving hates warlords. It's why he refuses to back away from supporting Zak S and RPG Pundit - nobody's going to tell him who or what is bad for HIS D&D.

Like, look at 4e Essentials. Now realize that was Mearls being daring and creative, which is isn't going to be for 5e in awhile. Not to mention they've stated rather often that they don't plan on doing the crunch treadmill this time around.

The only way 5e sees actual expansion is if Mearls get's laid off. Until that happens, don't hold your breath for any of those "hopefuls" to come true. You're talking up potential new classes in the game that literally nerfed monks and fighters after being told they might be too weak.

Thanks for posting that. People seem very quick to forget* that 4e existed. "Next is a good game" only holds in a reality in which 4e never existed.

*Well, a significant part of Next's marketing swindle public "playtest" and "well-crafted" surveys was about assuring the grogs that WotC is so vey sorry about 4e and that they'd make sure that the 4e's presence in Next would never go beyond the cosmetic.

edit:

Another good thing about Next — the art/aesthetics. Although I love 4e's color-coded layout for its ease of use, the sans serif font used for powers and other rules-bits gives it a "modern* look" that seems at odds with the game's atmosphere, and while I love William O'Connor's class iconics, the rest of the art is pretty meh. Next's art is really evocative, and really wish 4e could benefit from the same flavorful presentation.

*I think modern mechanics and minimalist/"dry" visuals aren't inextricable — clear, easy to use layout and modern mechanics can be perfectly coupled with more baroque/"fantasy-esque" art and visuals.

Nancy_Noxious fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 10, 2014

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Summoners are the worst thing to have in a party and people who play them in tabletop games, especially large group games, are royal assholes.

How about we stop blaming the user? If the rules are bad, then the designers are the real assholes.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
re: Apocalypse World and natural language

We shouldn't forget that the natural language used on the moves is very economical. If one follows the development of a *World hack, they will certainly notice que effort put in the way the moves are phrased. Moves use natural language but (for the most part) tend to be crystal clear.

Also, in the case of Apocalypse World and Monsterhearts, further elaboration and/or examples of how a given move works isn't part of the move — it's in a separate section. It's good because it keeps the rules text itself (i.e. moves) brief and clean. (In this respect I find moves similar to 4e powers.)

Now contrast it with Next/3e rules — stuff is over-written and vague, it's the antithesis of the economical and clear phrasing of moves.

Next uses natural language in order to obfuscate the system's workings and make rules text as ambiguous as possible.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

ritorix posted:

In non-skeleton news, Morningstar had been renamed to Dungeon Scape. http://dnddungeonscape.com

Does it have a dedicated skeleton tracker?

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
No, see, this time cards are okay because

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

mastershakeman posted:

At that point, why even allow monsters to have critical hits at all?

"Why should the Laws of Physics work differently for monsters? You just ruined my immersion."

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Dahbadu posted:

I like how attacks of opportunity are handled.

So you really dislike defender fighters, is that correct?

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

slydingdoor posted:

What I know as playing the game is called out as "asking for permission" around here like it's the worst poo poo.

Why aren't spells handled the same way? It would make for a leaner and less expensive rulebook.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Dahbadu posted:

I also felt the mechanics surrounding them were convoluted and in general directed the action away from the tabletop and more towards the books for rules lawyering.

Spells don't have this problem because

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

ascendance posted:

You get way less of them. Given that people are supposed to get through 6-8 encounters in a day, wizards are basically supposed to pull out 1-3 game changing spells each encounter.

It's not (only) about quantity.

Spells in Next are meta-gamey as gently caress. "High Con save? Luckly I have something that calls fora Wis save! Oh, no bad saves? Well, I'll just use something that calls for an attack roll then!" and so on.

If opportunity attacks "detract from the fiction and turn the game into dry rules-lawyering", so can spells.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Talmonis posted:

I'm a stupid grognard, hurr hurr

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Dahbadu posted:

I actually think 5e is a more progressive system than 13th Age

:allears:

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Andrast posted:

Well, it's not like 13th age is a paragon of progressiveness either.

It sure isn't. At least it isn't aggressively retrograde as Next.

Encounter math works, the system actually supports TotM combat — it's like an intellectually honest version of Next made by non-poo poo designers.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Froghammer posted:

So I'm running 5e, it's only been a few sessions and I can already feel myself burning out. Like, actually running the game is fine and smooth and all that good stuff, but planning out each session ahead of time is a slog and a half. I'm fighting the system every step of the way in order to come up with interesting monsters that do more than cast spells X number of times per day or swing with shortswords over and over. My group loves it, but behind the scenes 5e's lack of structure means I'm having to fill the void myself and it's taking its toll.

Don't you like being EMPOWERED?

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

thespaceinvader posted:

what's the loving point in wasting money and trees reprinting it?

Because then the current edition of D&D can be recognizably D&D — so the healing can begin.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
re: carousing

quote:

Carouse
When you return triumphant and throw a big party, spend 100 coins and roll +1 for every extra 100 coins spent. ✴On a 10+, choose 3. ✴On a 7–9, choose 1. ✴On a miss, you still choose one, but things get really out of hand (the GM will say how).

•You befriend a useful NPC.
•You hear rumors of an opportunity.
•You gain useful information.
•You are not entangled, ensorcelled, or tricked.

You can only carouse when you return triumphant. That’s what draws the crowd of revelers to surround adventurers as they celebrate their latest haul. If you don’t proclaim your success or your failure, then who would want to party with you anyway?

Just play Dungeon World. Really. Still uses natural language (1) and leaves plenty of stuff up to the DM (2), but was designed by people much smarter than the nostalgia addicts that "designed" Next.

1- but doesn't waste as much space as a bloody d100 table
2- by design — because the AW engine is built that way (i.e. GM will use a hard move guided by the game's agenda and principles), not because the GM is in constant need to correct blatant design mistakes (that wouldn't be in the game had the designers done their bloody job)

Also note how DW's carousing is more "interesting things happen" and less "you're arbitrarily hosed LOL".

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
Or 13th Age.

It has (much) shorter power lists than 4E and uses abstracted distances (that in practice function like) Fate zones instead of a squared grid.

(The freeform background system that takes the place of 3E/4E skills is also somewhat similar to Fate aspects.)

Nancy_Noxious fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 19, 2014

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

moths posted:

Whose fault is it that D&D has the potential for players to never actually find a dungeon because of binary pass/fail?

"The user should always be blamed — D&D games happen in a verisimilitudinous milieu, therefore common sense. If the DM lacks that, they aren't the kind of όbernerd this hobby needs. What is 'usability' and why should we dumb our Imagination Tomes (only a Phylistine would describe RPG books as 'instruction books') in order to pander to the mundanes/dirty casuals?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

ScaryJen posted:

I'd be more likely to use it for a story-heavy game than 4th (at least with new players).

Oh, please do tell how Next's system supports ~HIGH STORY~ in a way that 4E doesn't.

I find that rather bizarre — there's tons of systems there aren't only simpler to learn (since we're talking about new players) but also REALLY designed to support story/narration heavy games.

If one's focus was REALLY all ~~story and roleplay~~. Fate would be a better match, since Next's only parts that directly deal with roleplay/story/naration bits (Inspiration + Backgrounds + those flavourless, generic pseudo-aspects backgrounds are composed of) work in a way that very much resembles Fate's mechanics (only worse, since Next lacks something like a Fate point economy, so, much like Cook with Numenera, it seems Mearls is unable to really get post-2005 game design).

ScaryJen posted:

Especially if they restructured resting mechanics as giving you penalties on rolls/requiring checks to go on after being active so many hours vs. the "do x thing y times per day" mindset, but that's just me.

IMO this really sums up what Next is all about — the simulationist wank.

Does it enhance gameplay? Who cares! I just want the game to become an elf trance simulator!

That's why ENWorld had the huge damage-on-a-miss-dedicated-sub-forums fiasco, and that's why we got bloody ONE HOUR "short" rests and no Warlord class — a fun game isn't really as important as a "realistic" elf trance simulator.