Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think that, at bottom, the overarching principle should be to reward the players for engaging in behavior that you would like to encourage.

So how much experience should I give for showering and wearing deoderant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

FAT BATMAN posted:

I know you guys love to be like "oh you're just reinventing such-and-such" but come on, it's the 5e thread, why not just indulge in some honest homebrewing?

Not to say this is any way your fault, because it isn't, but the questions you're asking are of the sort that should already be answered by the core rules of the game, and a lot of goons understandably chafe at doing Mike Mearls' goddamn job for him, just as they were tired of doing Skip Williams'. I'm sure plenty still have notebooks and binders and word processor files full of house rules still for 3.5, which was itself a revision!

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 1, 2016

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

mango sentinel posted:

Here's a photograph using Detect Magic on an average street in Faerun:

Gotta roleplay your warlock with *wizard eyes* as tripping balls constantly

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Our LGS scheduled a Magic PTQ on New Year's Eve, so I have to start drinking before 1 PM

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Reik posted:

I'm sorry the player has to put in a loving iota of effort to make a character that has a good Charisma score and fulfills the "fighter" role?

Bunch of loving crybabies.

:qqsay:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
then ur a fuckin. crybabby.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
where we're going, we won't need eyes to see

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Conspiratiorist posted:

"hurr durr you're the one responsible for all bad experiences you ever have"

You can suck my dick too with your empty platitudes.

ayup, no thin-skinned :spergin: here, definitely can't fathom why you invariably have lovely group experiences

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
That's a bit unfair to Sigil, which is a kickin' rad torus with the city covering the inner surface, and is a functional crossroads for the whole multiverse. Ravnica is just a fantasy ecumenopolis with loose ties to Slavic folklore, that the few people in the Magic setting who can planeswalk just happen to congregate around because it's one of the few planes with working plumbing

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 22, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
The Guildpact that organizes the guilds is actually part of the metaphysical underpinning of the plane, where violating any of the laws established with it leaves an individual susceptible to unviolable magic. Even if one of the leaders of the guilds or "paruns", powerful entities all, broke a Guildpact edict, they could be arrested and compelled by any law enforcement on the plane. More than that, it actually altered the laws of probability--manipulated fate, in other words, to keep the guilds more or less equally positioned against one another. As a side affect, it also prevented all planeswalking to the plane, exiling the architect of the Guildpact, Azor I.

The Guildpact buckled under the stress of containing the increasingly depraved and powerful guilds, until the revelation of the hidden 10th guild established in the Pact to manipulate the other nine manifested in the arrest of its parun by a beat cop completely broke it. The guildless revolted and led to the dissolution of the old guilds, though by the time the setting is revisited they had reformed. The failsafe to re-establish the Guildpact was the Implicit Maze, a puzzle built into the city itself by Azor to determine what new form the Guildpact would take, and required the participation of representatives from all ten guilds. It's hidden purpose was to determine if the guilds were actually capable of cooperating following the dissolution of the magical law that had held their society together for ten thousand years, and if they failed (which they did), each of the guilds were given the means to wipe out the other guilds via magical tactical nuke in the hope that their mutual destruction would spare the guildless a civilization-destroying war. Luckily (or was it?) Jace Beleren, a telepathic emigrant to the plane who had helped find the Maze, was there to psychically link all of the maze runners and keep them from wiping one another out, almost going insane from the effort. The Maze decided that the mage who would selflessly sacrifice themselves to keep all these batshit guilds for murdering each other and had the huge advantage of being able to read minds to boot was the perfect candidate for mediator between the guilds, and made Jace the new Guildpact.

Jace and another planeswalker angling for control of the Golgari guild met Azor on the dinosaur knights vs. vampire conquistadors plane, and sentenced him to exile on a lovely island in the middle of the ocean for loving up the development of countless worlds, especially Ravnica. They also figured out that Ravnica is the target of an invasion of super-zombies (retain all the skills they had in life, encased in magic rock) lead by a planeswalking dragon.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
if this books sells well I don't doubt that one for Ixalan may be in the cards when the set is revisited (the dinosaur knights got a bunch of ancient super-dinos and are planning to counter-invade the vampires, who were all ready to abandon their imperialistic ways after finding their vampire Messiah). however it may have to wait in line behind many of the other more established planes like Dominaria or Mirrodin, that were around when they still wrote tie-in novels for their trading card game

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
this dude

err I mean this dude

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
it's okay to not like Ravnica, I don't particularly, but if anything it's the MtG fans who should be having conniptions over their setting touching the poop that is the D&D "canon" :smaug:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

mango sentinel posted:

and those folks deserve to play D&D too.

harsh

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

kingcom posted:

You're right a battlemaster martial class is the equivalent of someones pet.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
all games are made up, if u think about it

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

SettingSun posted:

Seriously, just look at Thunderwave. The description is literally describing a sonic boom.

counterpoint: Thunder Wave has been Electric type since Pokemon Red/Blue

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

inthesto posted:

What does Paladin/Sorc offer beyond sharing a casting stat?

arguably the strongest multiclass in 5e

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1030256624210915328

the idea that being a deliberately incomplete, deliberately vague game is a positive trait is something I don't think I'll ever empathize with

lol D&D became a cult but not in the way the panicked parents thought

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Abdel Adrian is a loving dumb name

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Ryuujin posted:

No version warring can never produce interesting conversations. It is a blight. There is stuff wrong with every edition of D&D, and stuff that is good. But people keep claiming certain things are a problem with only a specific edition when it is a common problem.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
so if this is just the D&D Next thread, where can I find the D&D 5e thread?