Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Hello thread. I am DMing for the first time on Sunday! I'm a bit nervous, but I've been reading over the campaign and the multitude of DM advice threads on reddit. I'm a little annoyed the campaign book isn't as detailed as I would prefer, but I guess that's for me to flesh out with my own additions to the story. The previous DM was very generous to our party, but he wants to play now and asked me to take over for the 2nd book of this campaign (Rise of the dragons). I would like to run the game a bit closer to the rules, but I don't want to be a "no you can't do that" kind of DM. I'm going to try and find a balance where the game isn't easy mode like it has been, but not me just denying the party things and making it unfun. I'm also going to get everyone to send me their backstories as the previous DM didn't do much to try and incorporate them into the campaign.

For fun games, as a player, you figure out what your players want. Rules are best thought of as "guidelines for fun." Maybe your players want to bend the rules to do something they want to do? Maybe they want what you what where the game is harder and stricter, some people prefer that.

However, as mentioned, D&D 5e isn't really that. 3.5 or Pathfinder is the "we have rules for everything game." I don't like that. I don't find rolling dice to climb 10' over and over then falling 90' at the top and dying fun. I prefer the 13th Age style of gaming where poo poo keeps going forward. You make one roll and, if you fail, something bad happens like "you drop your dagger from 90' and it falls and breaks and is now useless." I mention this because 5e feels closer to this kind of gameplay than 3.5 or 4e. It's honestly why I got a hankering for 5e after getting tired of one fight taking 3+ hours to complete.

Really just go with your gut, if you can think of a good reason to say no then do so. You're the GM, it's your job to establish the world and rules for your players. But if your pesky gnome grappler fighter has pinned two bad guys prone and is head butting them into the ground he's probably having a loving great time. Let him do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Mendrian posted:

I think people have already got you covered w/r/t 5e and its ruleset. But let's talk about improvisation.

One first time mistake a lot of DMs make is trying not to improvise, and not letting the players improvise. This is a sure way to have a Bad Time; any time a player's agency is questioned they will begin to have Less Fun, unless you are explicitly trying to play a tactical combat game, in which case maybe that's the expectation.

The second mistake DMs make when it comes to player improvisation is saying yes, but then making it functional impossible. Like, setting the DC 30 or plain-ol' not setting a DC, letting a player roll, and then just telling them they've failed regardless of the outcome. This is the same thing as saying no, but with more steps. A particularly insidious version of this is the DM who says, okay, roll for it, but then makes you roll about six times between beginning and end the action. For example, "I want to swing on this rope" becomes, "make an athletics check to jump, an acrobatics check to hang on, a attack roll with disadvantage, and then.... etc" because the player will more than likely fail.

Your best bet is to say yes to the idea and present the player with a simple cost or a single check. Costs can come in the form of actions (typically bonus actions or movement are best for this; taking away an action should be reserved for attack-equivalent actions), future disadvantage, hp loss (10% or less than their total, generally) or something more ephemeral. If the player's idea is just too outlandish for you ("I want to ride this dragon!") then let the player know that, and negotiate a compromise ("well you can't ride him but I'd let you hang on to his wing.").

Another option is to let a player try something unusual in combat if they have Advantage, and require both rolls to hit in order to pull off whatever stunt they're driving for.

The improvisation is a big one. If players find a way to poo poo all over a huge enemy encounter you spent hours on and make short work of it because they understood their powers, used the environment or something clever, roll with it.

When I DM I have certain plot points I want players to hit with general ideas but enough freedom to have players make changes. Figure out DC checks before you even get them to roll and make them reasonable for the task. Also it's a good idea to think of multiple ways for players to accomplish the goals of your mission. "This door is the only way in" is kind of lovely, it'll happen, but try and think of two ways for players to accomplish most things (rather than "you failed your lock pick roll, that ends the quest good day"). Then be open to things you haven't thought of.

All the combat advice is great here too. Combat Action RAW and followed to the letter end up being boring dice-rolls back and forth with no creativity. Why would I give up my action to kick over a table into an enemy when it will do 1D4 damage instead of just hitting him with my axe for D12? Instead you give up all your extra movement and weapon interaction to charge forward 10' and skill check athletics. Failure nothing except movement and interaction gone, success advantage on your attack.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In 13th Age you just average dice rolls past a certain number of dice (5 or higher iirc). I dunno if this is a variant rule for 5e but you could try it.

So a D4 becomes 2.5 per die, D6 becomes 3.5 per die, D8 4.5 per die, etc. Then round up. 10d8 would be 45 then add whatever mods you normally would. 9d8 would be 41 (from 40.5), then add mods.

Saves time but personally I like rolling dice.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

I was DMing a game recently and had the players enter a vampire's lair.

One of the PCs should know all about vampires, so I read off some basic info about vampires, including this little gem I didn't know about :

"If a piercing weapon made of wood is driven into the vampire's heart while the vampire is Incapacitated in its Resting place, the vampire is Paralyzed until the stake is removed."

The players opened the casket and then the player with the stake rolled a natural 20 dex check for plunging the stake into the heart accurately. So, the players were able to kill a monster normally worth 10,000 XP without breaking a sweat — literally the easiest kill in the entire adventure so far. I'm fine with this since the players did carefully prepare for the battle... and, luckily this particular vampire wasn't integral to the story, just something that had been terrorizing a village of nearby NPCs. Still, it doesn't feel right and I'm curious about how other people handle wooden stakes and vampires.

Nothing is sweeter, as a player, than coming up with a good idea and having the DM admit it by going along with it. It's pretty poo poo to have an idea that should work but the DM makes it not with a garbage reason only because (s)he really wants you to do X.

Echoing sentiments already stated, I say good job.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Last session the spires of a massive slowly raised out of a desert, maybe like 2' a minute if memory serves. Cue warrior walking up to a solid spire and tying a rope to it. 50' later he tied a rope to that. After it finished going 200' up we had a pretty nice short cut past the monsters inside.

Sadly the NPCs we were guarding decided to investigate inside and triggered the baddies inside, so some stayed to defend while others Batman'd up the side.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Money well loving spent.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

New Unearthed Arcana is up. Two pages about a new XP system based around getting XP for exploration and social interaction instead of just killing poo poo. It's bare bones and quite disappointing. I've felt like getting XP for avoiding combat should be addressed and this just feels like a napkin scribble rather than a legitimate thought out process. Admittedly the Guide to Everything is coming out soon so I dunno what I expected.

That said at least it indicates that they're thinking about this sort of thing.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Ryuujin posted:

Its not perfect but I kind of like it? It doesn't have the huge variance of xp in the current system, and still calls upon CRs to a degree. Though obviously if you are going to throw something more than 2 times your level in CR then it breaks down as everything more than 2 times your level in CR is worth the same amount of xp, then again I think there was some diminishing returns thing already. Also it falls apart if the party is different levels since they will more or less level at the same rate instead of needing less xp for lower levels.

But going off a 100 xp per level, empty out when you level, makes it simpler to know right off the bat how close you are to leveling. I could see at least trying to use it.

Yeah it's really not very well thought out in my view, so you still have to "home brew" it to make it work.

I view this more as "OK a monster of my level is worth 1/20th of a level up according to this while a social interaction or exploration is worth 1/10th". So you can look up how much XP a monster is worth in the codex for your level and double that and give it to the party as shared XP. Keeps the spirit of the UA but also complies with the current XP system.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

One group I play with has 2 (out of 4) players who are very traditional about XP and don't want to play a game where you just level up when the DM says so because of reasons they'd be happy to explain to you at length. The DM loudly agreed with them, and has been giving out xp to everyone in differing amounts at the end of each session since the game started. Every single time we've accumulated enough xp to level up, it's been every character at the same time at the end of a plot arc after we fight the end boss and get the loot and move on to the next bit of story. When we levelled to 3, I asked the DM if there was any point actually writing down these xp numbers, and he said "gently caress no, we're milestone levelling, I'm just keeping (those two) happy, you should probably mention it to (other guy)".

We're level 12 and the two dudes who care deeply about detailed xp haven't noticed yet.

This is perfect in every way.

dwarf74 posted:

Hey guys! I just found out that D&D Beyond gives you a 15% discount if you buy all the books up-front!

Only a $279 bargain to buy electronic versions of the books you already have! And holy moly you get a whole 15% off the future ones, too (no, of course they aren't included, this is only the stuff now)! What a steal!

I mean, I dunno about you but I can't wait to pay $300 for a character builder!

https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/d-d-beyond-general/beta-testing-feedback/5743-faq-d-d-beyond-pricing-purchase#c8

I want to be there when they hear about Orc Pub.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I say wish for something good but not stupidly good. Like "I want to be the greatest barbarian in the lands. For this how about two feats of my choice."

You get something that makes you probably the greatest barbarian in the land for your level but nothing stupidly overpowered so that adventures become pointless under you.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

"Well, guess you're all wrapped up then. What's your next character going to be?"

Pretty much. I've had a few cases where I've gone through mental gymnastics to get my guy to continue with a party member(s) idea I don't think he'd be on board with. Works out OK for the most part. I can't imagine going out of your way to play this game with a character that doesn't want to be in this game.

People rolling "Dirk Dark Dagger" the lone wolf rogue thief that works alone and don't need anyone need seriously be sat down and made to understand that D&D is a co-op game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I'm just not hot on buying the books all over again. Far as I'm concerned character generator equal to Orc Pub (with access to all options) should be completely free. Then yeah you can buy additional books and then those are searchable and PDF downloads. Aside from something like that I just don't see this as a valuable service.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

If I had a choice though I would buy all the character options in that case.

I am not ether. Would be much better if they had a thing to somehow check if you own one of the physical books. Still this device could be useful for buying books in the future. It looks like it would appeal more to people that don't already own the books.

At minimum allowing complete character creation would get people to use it more and maybe buy poo poo on it

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Caphi posted:

Do people like this realize that they'll be responsible for babysetting a level 1 through a bunch of encounters with archdemons or head cultists or whatever?

Yeah just start them 1 level lower tops. Otherwise they will be getting one-shot by everything, fail every check and be useless. They won't have fun and won't get to know their characters' abilities.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

P.d0t posted:

Alright, I've gotta ask:

How many people itt are legit using some sort of character generator to make their characters for 5e?
If so, how much of that is "to use additional content that is spread over UA/is in a book I don't own"?

How would one illegitimately use a character creator to build a character?

I have the hard copies of the PHB, DM, MM, VGM and SCAG. They were $30-45 on Amazon Canada.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Volo's guide to monsters has a bunch of races.

Most of those are in the free Elemental Evil player companion PDF though aren't they?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

No just one. Still it's mainly a monster manual. Not a player races book.

The Upcoming Xanathar's Guide appears to be the big player options book.

I just checked and it has a decent number of player races but not all in Volo.
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/player%E2%80%99s-companion

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Is Curse of Stroud just a "walk 10-20' then get attacked by ghosts/ethereals/walls/whatever you can perception check"? Because gently caress me.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

D&D animated TV show? Yeah no thanks at all.

Viking setting, eh? Alright, I'm interested.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Darwinism posted:

An animated TV series could potentially be good, where LA D&D stuff... well, we all know how that ends up.

I'd give my firstborn for a Fell's Five TV series.

Between Vikings, The Last Kingdom and Game of Thrones I think LA could be genuinely good if they invest a lot of money in the show and prepare to take guaranteed loss for the first season. Hoping to then make money from season 2 onwards, and increased D&D sales.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 27, 2017

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Darwinism posted:

The thing is that all of these things are very low-magic at the most, even the most fantastical GoT gets is nothing compared to what people expect from D&D.

So when a live action D&D thing happens, you have spells being thrown around, magical armors and weapons, far more common magical beings of different types, etc. All of this is a lot more expensive to CGI or practical effect in and very difficult to do in a manner that's convincing. And while D&D has the name recognition in the public sphere, it really doesn't command budgets high enough to do this in the Western movie economy.

It would need to be in one of the low magic settings like Greyhawk is it?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Yeah but I want something to watch, some D&D children's cartoon isn't going to be it. We've seen mature fantasy can be done.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Pretty standard. Plan out what you want to generally do. Characters, plot points, locations, etc. Don't plan dialog unless you have very specific speeches to be given.

It'll be stressful but you'll get better every time as you get used to the rules, the group and everything else.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Ryuujin posted:

Do you have access to PDFs while playing? If so the best character sheet I have seen is More Purple More Better's Form Fillable Sheet. It generally gets updated fairly quickly when new content comes out, has options to select if you want UA material available, has options to change the colors of the sheet, is up to date with the last bit of character options released, is Pay What You Want, and you can download updated versions when they come out if you have purchased it.

Other than that? Not sure, most of the apps I used to see seemed to either be limited to level 1, limited to the same stuff Beyond currently is, have no information and need you to enter everything manually, or were taken down.

So is this offering what Orc Pub used to essentially? From the description that is what it seems like.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

From what I gathered OrcPub offered a lot more than most other resources, and it was all executed far better than Beyond or a huge PDF. I wasn't really using the site, though, and I wasn't aware that they were charging for content which is kind of a red flag.

Not that there's anything wrong with MPMB's pdfs, they're pretty loving great, but they're still giant slow PDFs.

OrcPub2 allowed me to point buy my character with ease, select race, class, level, feats, equipment, weapons, etc. etc. It would include basic descriptions of everything and a note as to where the actual ability, spell, feat, etc. was located in PHB or whatever it referenced. It would also take care of all the math for you in terms of ATT, DMG, etc. You could then export it to a PDF you could print off.

Basically it allowed you to fully roll a character in a matter of minutes with almost no hassle. I never once saw a charge for anything though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I get why it was closed down, especially if the dude genuinely asked for money for it. Even asking for coverage for "server costs" is pretty dicey.

That said, it was just loving handy as hell to have. I downloaded the character sheet PDF calculator linked previous and it's... well it's pretty loving bloated to be honest. OrcPub was relatively clean and pretty simple to use.

Honestly I just can't believe WoTC don't have an official character creator equal to or better than OrcPub. Something where you can select literally any option to make a character. Or just so "gently caress it" and let that be made by anyone so long as they don't charge. Yeah the pushback would be "but then why would they buy our products!" But honestly with piracy you can steal all of 5e if you want and I don't see Beyond as being "so convenient" it's going to take a dent into that piracy. The character creator in it that I tried was actually kind of clunky also.

I just can't justify paying for their D&D Beyond again. It's too expensive for me simply wanting an easy digital character creator. Especially when I already bought a shitload of 5e material (PHB, GMG, MM, VGM and SCAG).

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Magil Zeal posted:

I agree on Battlemaster maneuvers and hell I homebrewed 22 new ones, but at the same time I feel like it's a pretty big design problem right now that BM maneuvers are tied to one single fighter archetype and that makes me really not want to play any other fighter archetype. Really, all fighters should get BM maneuvers and the martial archetypes need to be overhauled. Like, Knight is kinda neat, but picking it means no maneuvers at all and that's sad.

These are neat, thanks!

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I'd say make it DC 15 and once per combat on first successful attack. You can't choose where you use it beyond not attacking with it. It comes into play every time so it feels useful but not ludicrous by having it every turn.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

FWIW I watched a YouTube video interview Mike Mearl where they ask what he would change or got wrong in 5e, something to that effect.

He specifically mentions Bonus Actions because they're too limiting. If you dual wield and have to get one extra swing that's fine. It shouldn't conflict with other bonus actions because the intention was for them to be tiny but also limited to avoid exploiting. He said a better way would've just been to qualify a hard limit on all bonus action abilities as basically "this ability once per turn on appropriate trigger." So dual wielder rogue can attack twice then dodge as cunning action bonus or fighter can then use their lovely healing ability. That doesn't break the game.

Mearl explained that they don't want to hammer out major changes because 5e is selling well and changing major things is basically new edition level stuff. Also that if you don't like a rule just toss it or modify it if your table agrees.

So essentially bonus actions were meant to be a simple solution but ended up being limiting and actually really just annoying.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

User0015 posted:

Yup. Again, the jumping rules are pretty funny to if you've ever done any kind of athletic activity in your entire life. A DC 10 strength check to jump a low hedge or wall? Are you serious?

I'd pay a good chunk of change to see Mike Mearls attempt a tough mudder if he thinks hopping a wall a quarter of your jump height is remotely challenging, or that running and jumping 12 feet at a sprint is an incredible feat only capable by athletes in peak physical condition. An average standing jump is 7 1/2 feet, which would put your D&D stat score in the 14-15 range. Even a poor standing long jump is at least around 6 feet, which still puts you above average in D&D terms. Hell, most goons could probably hop across a puddle of water 6 feet wide with little effort.

The knot tying rules are just idiotic too. You're not inventing loving knots when you're tying them, if you know the knot, you know it. This INT + sleight of hand is just eye rolling.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

The reason, I assumed, they tied Shield Master's Shield Bash as a Bonus Action when you take the Attack Action is because I believe they don't want you casting a spell then using Shield Bash in the same turn unless you use some special ability (like Action Surge).

It isn't well written in of itself but when you compare it to other abilities the intent does become more clear. "If you take the Attack Action on your turn you can use your BA to shove a creature." Compared to "after you do X you can Y."

I think the best way to write it would've been something along the lines of "If you take the Attack Action on your turn you can Shield Bash as a Bonus Action to Shove a creature within 5 feet of you 5 feet or knock them prone. This can occur before or after your standard Attack Action."

This makes the ability and its intent clear without having to compare it to other abilities and descriptions.

However, the fact that it's been like 3 pages and people still haven't really written a great and easily understandable Shield Master feat should indicate that writing rules for these games are really loving hard. 5e isn't inherently garbage because rules are vague or a bad system. It's actually (relatively) super easy to understand and play compared to previous versions because it's not super complex with shitloads of little rules. When that happens you get things that are more open to interpretation and whatnot.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

The Gate posted:

Yeah, Con is probably the better option on second thought, for that reason. A flat duration (of a minute? 4-5 rounds?) with a save each round might also not be terrible since most spells act that way. If there's an even higher tier of options, that might be the place for effects that are short duration, powerful, but have no save at all, or for ones with only a single save and are slightly longer?

4-5 rounds of disadvantage to attacks and all STR/DEX checks is pretty amazing. There would basically be no reason to every hit anyone with anything but that maneuver (unless they're already afflicted by it).

I mean, the only thing that compares is menacing attack which is 1 die on hit, WIS save, and on success they are feared so essentially have disadvantage on all attacks while they see you until end of next turn (this is already a great maneuver).

If you're doing multiple rounds I would say that for this to work the fighter must both a) keep engaged with target (makes logical sense to be continually able to poo poo up their fighting/spell casting) and b) give up an attack every round to keep it going until whatever the max is (I want to say 2-3 rounds because that's already seeming OP let alone 4-5), which also indicates you're giving up attacking to keep preventing them from attacking properly.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 23, 2018

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Matt Colville offers really good advice to new DMs and genuinely makes something that seems pretty hard to get into not that bad. Now you may say "gently caress whatever dude I DMd with no experience it was fine." No, it was probably poo poo and eventually you got better. Your first groups were inexperienced and probably didn't know it was poo poo.

However his videos make DMing seem less complex, especially when you take into account all the poo poo he links in his videos to save people that have no idea what they are doing. Plus his videos are heavily edited down so you don't sit through boring bullshit. There is no intro of flaming 3d text or shifty music you have to watch so "binge-watching" his channel results in a lot of information.

That said holy gently caress does he seem insufferable in person. He interviews a friend for like two hours and the amount of times he asks a question then talks over, interrupts or flat out says the friend he's interviewing is wrong is nuts. I mean why even interview him if you're just talking at him what seems like 1/4 of the time? (it isn't that long but gently caress it feels like it sometimes)

Full disclosure I DMd for a few months and got tired of it. I ran across Matt's channel and decided to give it a go. I have since converted Hommlet to a 5e place (it really is a super detailed and loving great starter village) and am prepping Cult Against the Reptile God. This is after my first section lifted his 4 room tiny map completely because the night before I decided to play ice hockey instead of fully prepping. The session went well and everybody has fun and want me to do it again. The one member of the group that played with me before said to me "wow that was a lot better than before, thanks!"

I doubt I'm alone, I know I'm not considering his KickStarter. You shouldn't be focusing on him pushing game mechanics you don't like. People will always have diverging opinions about things, and even when he was being an insufferably bad interviewer he was acknowledging this. What you be trying to grasp is that he is getting a shitload of people to try DMing, which is pretty huge and you should be happy about because more people playing D&D is fun and good.

mastershakeman posted:

How does that Kickstarter 5e supplement work legally? Does that guy need official permission to market it as such?

No, 5e's basic rules are released for free. It is the official additional content you cannot reproduce. This is new content to add to your own games at home.

EDIT: Also his postage to Canada is $25 US. So basically $35 CAN. I have ordered large books from the US and postage shouldn't be any more than $10 CAN. I don't doubt that his postage is expensive... because he went with some lovely deal instead of USPS. Trying to bring that up results in his fans just handwaving "oh just get the PDF! Still just as good and Matt would never overcharge." Matt's response was "yeah it is super expensive sorry!" Cool, thanks for not checking into actually shipping at a reasonable price dude. Shipping the item costs 5/6ths as much as the item itself and it's to loving Canada. Think about that.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 11, 2018

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Sorry, I switched to an android phone and the auto-correct on it is atrocious.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Ryuujin posted:

Grapple isn't really all that strong by itself. It does become quite good when combined with Prone. And of course if you could pull both off in one turn, and can actually keep the enemy from escaping, then it becomes quite good single target control.

Technically nothing in Grapple, or Restrained, prevents or even remotely hinders spellcasting. Or attacking.

I believe there is actually a feat for hindering spellcasting?
Mage Slayer allows you to attack when someone casts a spell within 5' of you. Gives you advantage on all spell saves within 5' and impose disadvantage to maintain concentration on spells when you attack the caster.

For grappling dual-wielding Battle Master fighter kicks so much rear end when you get to level 5.

Hit one - Trip Attack > Offhand bonus action attack with advantage - Fear Attack > Stow offhand weapon > Grapple

Grappling is an Athletics Check vs. Acrobatics or Athletics. If you land the fear attack you can force them to contest the grapple at disadvantage. Speed is 0, so they can't get up. Until your next turn, they attack at disadvantage and contest grapples at disadvantage.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

thefakenews posted:

Welp, turns out that Mearls says you can. Doesn't seems correct to me, but oh well.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/06/02/can-a-character-attempt-his-bonus-action-between-his-2-attacks/

The logic behind the way my group plays is as follows: 1) it's bad rear end

But honestly the Bonus Action thing is premised on the idea that so long as you perform the trigger on your turn you can do it whenever you want. Unless it is specified otherwise.

So the dual wield attack can be triggered by having two weapons out and using the attack action with two weapons in my hand. So I take the attack action with my two weapons out and make a main hand attack (with BM attack), then use my bonus action to attack with the offhand (with another BM attack) which I can do because I triggered the BA qualifier.

As level 5 I get a second attack with my attack action I can use when I want on my turn, this can be broken up as with movement, etc. I have only used one attack with my attack action. I stow/drop a weapon as my free item interaction with attack action to give me a free hand, then as per rules I trade another attack for a grapple attempt.

Obviously the DM can rule however he or she wants to but it seems within the scope of being both RAW as well as RAI. If somebody was going "well I use my offhand hand axe to use my Bonus Action dual wield attack as I am holding two weapons then I drop a hand axe and grab my focus to cast a spell as my action" I would say that doesn't work.

The key, for me anyway, is you can break up your attack action however you want but if you want to offhand attack you have to both take your attack action and use a main hand attack at some point during your turn with both hands wielding your two weapons.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

BM attack? :gonk: Stop using poop as weapons.

Don't you tell me how to use my improvised weapons I took a feat for this (literal) poo poo sock

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

13th Age handled damage like that. You damage was determined by your class as much as the weapon. So a dagger did as much damage as a longsword in the rogue's hands.

Personally I just look at the class and go "what is the best damage weapon you can use with how you want to play." So sword and shield is a d8 then gently caress it, if you really want your guy to do d8 damage with a short sword sure, why not. We'll just say you're real good at it.

Your barbarian wants to use a massive club? D12 or D6x2 I don't care as long as there is some semblance of balance.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

The Gate posted:

Man, the more I hear about Colville's stronghold KS, the less I like it. The latest video he's talking about the units you recruit, and apparently units are divided by races. Which seems super weird? Like, why can't there be a unit of heavy cav, and it's a mix of races. That seems about ten times more likely than, "Oh hey exactly 100 Elf cavalry just showed up" or whatever. Especially in a setting like Faerun where most empires are big mixes of races. I don't see why they'd suddenly segregate themselves. Also, the things you recruit are based on your Class and Alignment, I haven't seen anything to indicate you can work to choose what sorts of units/people to recruit and change the percentile roll (because of loving course it's a big percentile chart).

I think whenever this hits I'm just going to rip out the costs and whatever rules he has regarding the physical buildings and effects of various followers, and dump the rest. Like hell, you're the guy in charge, can't you put up recruiting posters and send word "Hey we're looking for x, show up and we'll pay you" instead of "Hey randomly anyone come over and maybe we'll give you a job."

He also says in one of his videos that you can complete ignore these limitations and do whatever makes sense to you. If you want to roll on another chart and it makes sense to do so why not? If you want to mix up the races of this unit you got, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

The Gate posted:

5e.txt

"Bad design? No no, you can do anything you want!"

And yeah, that's true, but it would be nice to have something professionally designed from the ground up that makes sense and is balanced. I'm sure I can hack something together, but I'm also not a game designer.

I don't quite get this here. You don't have to hack anything, just roll of whatever table you think works for your character and instead of "100 elves" you have "100 people of various races." Nothing needs to be rebalanced as you are changing a table roll and flavour respectively.

At work I listen to podcasts and videos in the background. I started DMing for some friends after a long hiatus after finding Colville's channel and going "yeah sure I'll give it ago" so I have listened to a bunch of his stuff.

I get what you're saying in that you want the tables to mesh with your game right away but Colville's big theme in a lot of his videos is basically do what makes sense for your game. His huge praise for 5e is the whole idea that it is easy to house rule. If you're looking at his thing going "well that doesn't make sense to me I would do it like X" he would respond with "gently caress yeah, you do it that way man."

Some people may like the way it is written, I am with you. Having a multi-ethnic fighting group makes sense to me, given the context of the campaigns I run and play in. But I don't see how that can't be remedied by just going "well rolling on this other table makes more sense to me" and making a unit multi-ethnic. Especially when the guy making the book specially says "you don't have to limit your table rolls to your class if it doesn't make sense for you. Roll on another table if it's what you want!"