Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

But... he's not half a mile away, right? Unless your combat maps are gigantic empty wastelands this is not a thing that should even be remotely possible. Like this gets posted every-so-often in this thread and it's just confusing every time it does. Sure, it's theoretically possible, but its not something that happens in real gameplay unless the DM is actively just not designing anything and slams down an empty piece of graph paper or whatever,

Tuning encounters to make sure all of your PCs can get some time to shine is part of the GMs work.

If you got a PC who is awesome at range letting adding a few archers taking pot shots from a far ledge or while flying lets them get some time to shine.

This applies to Rogue chat as well. If the PCs are doubting how good Rogue is then maybe it is time to up the traps and locked doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Trent Squawkbox posted:

I recently had an issue where one of my players wanted to Dispel Magic on a magical labyrinth which was sending the players through a number of trials to see if they were worthy to enter its sacred grotto. To me, this would be like trying to pull the magic out of an innately magical thing. I said no, because that would open a can of worms like: could I dispel the river of Styx, could I dispel a Genasi and instantly kill them, what spell level is the plane of Mount Celestia so I know what to roll is dispel it from existence?

How do you explain the difference between like a fireball and things that have magic inherently built into them?

"As you cast Dispel Magic you can feel the magic start to leave the area... but then the arcane marks on the structure start to glow and the magic returns. Make an Arcana Check"
Ignore the Dice Roll
"After quick study you understand that the magic in an innate part of the structure that is way, way beyond your ability to dispel"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kadath posted:

If there is 1 player on a party of 4+ who is the only one without dark vision I’d personally ignore light requirements for everyone unless there was a really good narrative reason to.

Either you have one guy who needs a torch/light spell and keeps giving the party position away alerting guards or monsters, or you don’t bother with penalizing light sources and you require one dude to endlessly describe carrying a torch or whatever for no mechanical reason.

If you had a party of mostly humans and a dwarf or elf, sure let darkvision be a cool benefit (they get to scout ahead, or get a ovcasional advantage spotting poo poo in the dark etc). If its a single player’s disability in effect, theres just no point.

If there is just one guy then put some goggles of night in the campaign, either as a drop or an item a merchant has.

Even a gimped version with 30ft would allow for a narrative reason to not get bogged down in the logistics.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

The Gloom Stalker relies on dark vision being a mechanic, so you might need to make some adjustments if someone happens to pick that archetype

It works as a sub-class perk or spell, but when all but 1 or 2 basic races have Dark Vision it creates problems.

In the wise words of Xanthar:

Xanthar posted:

So you sneak around in the dark? You know most everything but humans can see in the dark, right? We all see you. Tiptoeing doesn’t turn you invisible.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Splicer posted:

Are we talking in general or the nightmare scenario that is 5e's existing multiclass dynamic?

Multiclassing has been a clusterfuck in every edition.

Even when they split dual and multi-classing.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

In order for it to make sense, yeah, that'd be necessary. Certainly makes more sense than having to wait until second level to get any spells at all. And obviously it doesn't just apply to Paladins. There's a reason why when folks - even in this thread - point out how confusing and dumb the current system is, the go to is always something along the lines of "I'm a second level Wizard. How many second level spells do I get?" because needing to wait for arbitrary numbers that exist Because Tradition is pretty dang bad.

It's even been tried before, in the Book of Experimental Might. I dunno how well its version worked in practice, since I haven't used it before, but it's certainly more player friendly than the various different incarnations we have right now.

So you would either give classes spells every level or have the oddity of having 1st level spells and 3rd level spells, but not 2nd level spells?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I get loving the fluff of a Ranger and his companion.

But the implementation was bad. The CR folks realized this and started buffing the hell out of Beastmaster. Even with the buffs the companion wasn't good and was idle or a detriment more than an asset in most encounters.

Some people like to love a bad option and claim it is "actually" super, super good because it gives them snowflake status.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

doctor 7 posted:

He's pretty chill about voicing what he wishes could be improved.

He doesn't like Bonus Actions either, basically because pretty much every BA in the game could be switched with "once per turn" as a limiter and it would be fine. I think there are maybe one or two trains where unlimited BAs would be a problem.

I listened to the same interview.

Mearls alluded to wishing they could just push out patches to classes or mechanics that don't work. But he mentioned a couple of things stand in the way. First, it is had to patch paper. If you release an updated book it causes problems and confusion and splits the community. Second, there are people who do like it as it is and don't want to changed, even if it is to improve it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

This probably gets said way to often on this forum, but I think 4e did get it right. Well, unless your married to the idea that the ranger must have druid spells but worse. But focusing in on the wilderness skills, hunting, and multi attack made for a thematically focused and effective character.

I would ditch the spells give them "Not Eldritch Invocations" instead.

I think they should move past the "half caster" hybridization from 2e completely.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Name him something like "Whitemanes Burrdin"

Oath of Colonization

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Funzo posted:

Is anyone using DnD Beyond for anything? I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying content there vs. just buying the physical books. The digital books are slightly cheaper, which is nice, but I don't know how the ecosystem is for them.

If you're rolling vanilla characters with little home brewing the system is pretty slick.

It supports home brew, but loses quite a bit of it's luster.

Plus the mobile app lets you download searchable docs which is very handy when you are trying to find something.

It vs Paper is a matter of preference.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nickoten posted:

But the thing is that for a large portion of play, if you're healing 4d4 + 4 HP (i.e. 14 on average), you're just doing it to pick someone up and for no other reason.

It is buying a round of action from not getting knocked out vs buying an extra hit dice.

Since you could just use a healers kit which and 1hp someone for negligible cost.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Buying (hopefully) a round of action at the cost of a round of action :thunk:

You can lose the person who gets knocked down's turn and the person who shoves a potion in their mouth's turn.

Plus any situation where you survive due to the extra hit points.

Plus not taking any damage triggered by someone having to run to them and causing attacks of opportunity.

There is extra value in healing more in a single action. If that value is worth the extra gold depends on your situation.

If the extra healing would have prevented a wipe or a full death it will seem pretty dumb to have gotten all miserly over a bit of gold.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

This isn't even argument about the potions; at this point you're arguing against the well-understood fact that in-combat healing in 5e is loving weak and bad.
Did you quote the wrong post were you just looking to go off on a tangental rant?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Anything is better than :emo: Vax.

Molly is giving off some "is a nice guy, but completely loving evil" vibe.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I'm actually curious about the rules of Mounted Combat. When I was trying to look them up a few months back for a player, I looked in the PHB and found like a paragraph that didn't say much other than "Horses can be ridden". No actual rules around them.

Is this something I should have looked elsewhere for ( Monster Manual? WTF, or DM Guide?)

I figured these kind of rules would be universal and for the players so the PHB would have to be where I looked.

Chapter 9 has a very small section on mounted combat.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Is there any class besides ranger or fighter that synergizes well with dual hand crossbow madness? Homebrew and UA is allowed, as with my paladin, but a player wants to play what is basically a warhammer witch hunter with two guns (refluffed hand crossbows), but played a ranger last time we played 5e, and dislikes fighters on principle of them being boring and having little to do outside combat.

She would love to find a bard, warlock, or other one that works with crossbows/ranged stuff.

Rogue for sneak attack and mobility?

There is a Scout subclass in Xanthars that you could look into.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Wizards are too good, fighters are incredibly bad. (Non multiclass) Warlocks should be a baseline for balance.

Multiclassing was a mistake.

2e handled it correctly.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Indomitable should let you add the second roll to the first.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

doctor 7 posted:

Something like that. Or add proficiency to the reroll and double proficiency if you already have it with the amount of times you can use it. It's basically a super lovely version of the lucky feat as is.

To be fair Luck is an utterly broken Feat.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand the mindset that makes people declare fighters should obey the laws of physics in a universe where nothing else does.

Most of the guys I know who like "plain" martial classes like the idea of being that Batman like guy who doesn't need to supernatural powers to be a badass.

The rule set should have enough flexibility to allow both the "Just a well trained dude at the peak of (meta-)human performance" and the more fantastic styles. Which 5e really doesn't deliver on.

Mendrian posted:

"Some people don't want to make anything complex and just want to hit things with their sword."

"What? No, not me, never me, I'm on my third Sorcerer/Warlock/Paladin gestalt hybrid."

Death to multi-classing.

Xae fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 24, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Really, the bigger problem with fighter is that no one - even in this thread - can articulate what the hell they are supposed to do out of combat, and so when people post lists of poo poo like "take half damage" or "save or dies" that doesn't fix poo poo. You could build fighters who exploded higher level opponents in one round in 3.X. It's not hard or interesting, you stack all the charge damage multipliers, or Robilar's Gambit/AoOs, or go more controllery and start spamming trips. Sure, you can kill things - even better than most wizards - but you're still just kinda sitting out the noncombat encounters waiting for somebody to cast teleport.

One of the cleverer things 2e did was make fighters not just a dumb guy with a sharp stick but a martial prodigy and natural leader. At 9(?)th level they received a keep and a couple of platoons of troops as a class feature.

Playing up the military nature of fighters by giving them bonuses with along those lines would help out.

The Fighter could get bonuses when persuading members of military and para-military organizations. They could get abilities to rally people to assist their cause.

Smashing Link posted:

Combining rogue and fighter is not a bad idea.

From a balance perspective, sure. From both a class fantasy and a rules perspective it is a complete nightmare. The better solution is to take another nerfbat to high level magic and buff up the martial classes a bit.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FRINGE posted:

If you also go back to TSR style multiclassing (or none at all) that fixes a huge amount of bullshit that game along with the 3e sorcerer/warlock poo poo.
A huge part of the martial/caster disparity is based on legacy, but I think 3e style multiclassing is a huge driver of it as well.

The martial classes feel like they're super conservative because they're worried someone is going to find some munchkin combination that completely break the game. Ignoring that casters already do that by default ofcourse. Look at the language around extra attacks for an example.

They either need to abolish it or mandate the classes stay 1 level apart until 20 when you can go 11/9 to pick up the level 11 mini-capstones.

Xae fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 24, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

Rogues are potentially unique enough of a niche to exist outside of Fighters.

The real problem, I think, is the Barbarian. Kill that, and make fighters the ACTUAL best at "mundane actions," and allow them to surpass mundane and go into the supernatural. Super strong, super fast, super endurance, all that good stuff. Make fighters paragons of the physical. Rogues pick locks, but fighters just kick the door down, no matter what the door is made of. Wizards fly, but fighters "jump good." Wizards use Walk On Water - fighters just swim, because they never tire. You get the idea.

The 4 "pure" martial classes in 5e (Fighter, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue) are plenty distinct.

It is a matter of reigning in the I cast "Solve the plot, kill the bad guys, collect the loot and summon cocktails and o'dourves for the after party" of casters and adjusting the combat numbers and adding some plot power for martial classes.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FRINGE posted:

One thing that is overlooked (for both good and bad reasons) is TSR era Magic Resistance.

It made spells "miss" to a variable degree based on spell level and caster level, and also required casters to plan for contingencies like everyone else. Sometimes being as good as possible at throwing daggers (and remembering to carry a few) was a good plan for a wizard. They didnt "lose their turn", but had to deal with variable potency based on the situation.

It did suffer from the "you have to do a lot of math on the fly" issue that is not popular now, but it presents a mechanism that changes the balance a bit.

For that matter the old method of handling "Special Abilities" made a difference. When a planar entity was able to use Dispel Magic some number of times (separate from whatever spells/psionics/items it had), it made sure shot fly/invisible/stoneskin mixes less appealing as a strategy to avoid working with and relying on your teammates.

I get tempted to try and outline a full hybrid between 2e and 5e, then I remember I have a job.

I think if your goal is to reign in casters you start copying Warlock a bit.

All casters use method of high level (6+) spells. Limit the choice of spells, limit the number they can pick and limit the casting.

Maybe Sorcs only get 1 spell per level above 6th. Maybe Wizards get one of their school and one other per level. Clerics get one chosen by their domain and can pick one. Druids get one based on subclass and one free choice.

They no longer would have this immense arsenal of high level magic, then follow up with couple of targeted nerfs here and there to specific spells (Hello Hypnotic Pattern).

I think the real hard part will be adding useful plot power to martial classes.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Elysiume posted:

It's inevitable that someone is really mad about any given system and feels the need to petulantly whine about how bad it lest other people have fun.

And thinking a system has flaws is pretty different from running around foaming at the mouth screaming "You're having fun WRONG".

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know that. But Beasts are just animals. So I can't really think of any that third parties would think to come up with that have not been covered.

There is always more detail to 'sperg out over. Or are you saying an African Swallow has the same move speed as a European Swallow?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

NachtSieger posted:

Hey so, a friend of mine was interested in the playtests where the Fighter wasn't a useless sack of poo poo, does anyone have the ones where fighters had martial damage dice and actual options in combat and all that good stuff?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-DWooSXsiOaHBWbDNMMC16Ulk/view

TL;DR - The majority of the abilities were put into Battlemaster. The system for all classes were redone to support the Sub-class mechanic.

Xae fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 27, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Rolled a strong set of numbers for a roll20 game for a group that really looks like it needs a meat-shield.

10 13 15 16 9 15

To me, that screams "go Variant Human Paladin with 3 16s and a feat."

Difficulty is I've almost always played full casters other than for quick one-shots and the typical "smash things and never cast my spells because I'd rather have smites" thing doesn't sound super appealing. Anyone got any interesting suggestions for a fun pay to play this?

16 str 16dex 16con Bear Totem Barb

Run around bare chested and tank the poo poo out of everything because you have Resistance to everything except psychic damage.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Panderfringe posted:

What's this thread's policy on checking out hokmebrew stuff like classes? I'm trying my hand at designing one for fun.
Just post it.

But don't be surprised when some people spaz out and jump on their favorite 5e hobby horse issues.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

JBP posted:

e: do I need to buy a DM manual or anythng else? Are there more tools I will get as a DM for doing this? I understand that I can manage player sheets and stuff through it without the DM book, but I'd also hate to run into some stupid roadblock because I haven't unlocked the rules for a particular thing or whatever.
The DM manual is the book used least in day to day play.

There are only a couple of tables that are used for core gameplay regularly from them.

But if you want to think up a campaign or add some variety to your campaign the book becomes pretty useful.

JBP posted:

Sweet. For all the complaining I've read about cost, spreading maybe $75US across 4-6 people and essentially granting them all magical computer access to my books and all their character stuff seems fine.

There is some justified complaints about the sales channel fuckery where physical and digital do not play nice together.

The rest is just nerds bitching because nerds like to bitch.

Xae fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 6, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Elysiume posted:

What exactly does Beyond get you? I can't find subscription tiers or something without registering, which I can't be assed to do right now.

A really good character generator and character sheet program and digital copies of the books.

You can play with the character gen for free with the SRD options. If you have the digital books through them the additional options unlock in the char gen program.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's ridiculous that you don't get to share stuff, both in the google play movie case and this one. It's sad that our society hasn't protected that which should be a fundamental right. Use 5etools and the MPMB character builder if you want the better product.

Also, if you don't want to buy the same content a *third* time, 5etools has scripts to import stuff into roll20 for you so you don't have to pay $50 for volo's guide on there even if you already have it on beyond and/or hardcover. I understand they gotta make money and happily pay for my roll20 subscription but drat, that one's a joke.

For 6th edition they need to get all this poo poo integrated and working together from the start.

WOTC needs to run a central system where if you unlock your content on there you unlock it on Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, etc.

You should also be able to buy a book with a key that unlocks the content online.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah - I'd be happy to pay extra roll20 for their individual efforts, like tokens and cross-links and stuff, it's just weird that I have to pay the full price of the book again if I want that stuff, just to avoid the time of manually typing the stats of a monster that I can read off the page with my eyes.

With adventure modules it makes more sense because roll20 folks have to do a ton of work setting up all the maps and stuff so they work well - way moreso than making tokens alone when they already have images.

Adventure Modules would probably have to be an exception for that reason. A coupon/code for a couple of bucks off would go a long way though.

Toplowtech posted:

WOTC is so bad at most things online, i think it's going to hurt their business sooner or later.

Which is probably why Curse/Twitch/Amazon is in charge of DNDBeyond.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

What game should I play instead if D&D?

Just play a game and have fun instead of worry about stupid internet nerds fighting the one billionth iteration of my gaming system's dad can beat up your gaming system's dad.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Would folks mind critiquing the encounters I have in mind for the first session? As I say I've never run 5e before.

Without going into much detail, in the first session a string of thefts from the party's respective temples puts them on the trail of a mad alchemist.

Encounter 1 - While following one lead or another the party face some animals mutated by the alchemist's discarded potions - 1x Swarm of Rats CR 1/4, 2x Giant Rat CR 1/8

Encounter 2 - The party catch up to a couple of his hired goons - 1x Bandit CR 1/8, 1x Thug CR 1/2

Encounter 3 - Tracking the alchemist to his lair, he faces them with the aid of a creature formed from a gloopy potion - 1x Acolyte CR 1/4, 1x Mud Mephit CR 1/4

Encounter 4 - Panicking, the alchemist unleashes his most fearsome test subject to stall the party while he tries to concoct one last potion to escape - 1x Giant Spider CR 1

Assuming 4 level 1 characters with minimal D&D experience/metagaming?

Those look like a pretty good set of intro encounters.

My suggestions is to keep some stat blocks for a bump up or down of CRs for some of the encounters. If they whiff hard in Encounter 1, maybe It is a 1x Bandit 1/8 CR and a 1x Thug 1/4 CR. If they're cruising through with out a challenge maybe it is a 1/4CR and a 1/2 CR.

It can help you zero in on the party's effectiveness.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Pretty simple. Go "Ok, stop tracking XP" and sometimes go "Ok, you guys did something cool, let's all level up."

Just talk it over with the players first so there are no surprises.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I will never understand the love for tracking numbers. Like, level is already a number I have to track. Why would I want to track something that exists purely to alter a level that I have to track already?

I don't get it either, but some people are just super attached to it. Like they're afraid they'll be level X too long, or it'll take too long to hit level Y.

CaPensiPraxis posted:

Though of course in this edition xp is totally arbitrary so you can de facto implement milestones by adjusting xp values to track to the same pace, it's just more tedious for everyone involved.

Pre-5e plenty groups seemed to go milestone after a while.

Tracking XP for kills, quests, good RP, clever ideas, etc, etc just lead to a giant gently caress off spreadsheet until the campaign either level locked or went pseudo-milestone.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FRINGE posted:

It is just not that hard. This is like when people sucked up all the WotC sales/marketing 3e THAKKO IS WAKKO! bullshit because subtracting small numbers was too hard.

Its true that it also matters a lot less. (As in the old timey xp tables were different per-class.)

Typing numbers into a spreadsheet isn't hard. It is just dumb and time consuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Razorwired posted:

I'm sure glad we used Natural Language for this 3000 page game series.

Yeah, it fucks up in spots.

But in this case people have to twist the meaning pretty hard to get it to break. If you parse the transition as simultaneous then the "assumes the HP" overrides the existing HP and is not in addition to. But they're parsing the transition as sequential therefore you assume the HP, then add class features which includes HP. And since ASIs are class features you should add any str/con/dex ASIs to the creatures form.

But RAI seems to be pretty clear that when you are in the form of a thing you have the physical stats of that thing.