Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there a good thread for getting started or is this pretty much the place to be? I've played other less rigid sets of rules like White Wolf's Adventure!, PBTA, etc. but never D&D. A mutual friend wants to push me into a particular group and through him I have access to any of the books I might need, but stuff that would help for getting started would be cool.

As far as classes, I'm normally given to wanting to be a fast-talking bullshitter, but in a game with more combat focus I don't know what speaks to me. I wouldn't want that to push me into being a rogue or bard just for the rare occasions when we need a silver tongue. Paladins and warlocks seem neat? I was never interested in paladins before until I saw rad Sacred Oath options by the guy who made the Communist Paladin homebrew (and some other cool ones,) but I don't know how the average group looks on those homebrew options.

edit: It looks like the Charlatan background covers plenty of the bullshitter stuff I love and dovetails neatly with Warlock?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man this group I was looking to join doesn't run sorcerers or warlocks because they're hosted by a church and it spooks the olds. And like, I get it, but laaaaaaaame. They've got a dickton of paladins already and the guy running the show suggested a bard. Which was honestly high on my list of stuff but I am a child who hates being told he can't do something and I can't imagine any sufficiently evil cleric option that would make up for not being a mad paranoiac whose mind has been turned to jelly by his otherworldly patron.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I have no idea why they're okay with wizards (or fighters for that matter.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I imagine that one guy's Oath of the Hellsworn homebrew is off the table

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah my LGS does two weekly things, one looks like it's one-shot drop-in games and the other is a persistent campaign so I'll give it a try through those.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A fancier, friendlier word for warlock, whose patron is a Christian saint, like John of Nepomuk, the saint of the drowned.... (who is a misremembered syncretism from the days the Great Old One walked the waking world, of course)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That fits frighteningly well with one Islamic interpretation that says Jesus was called up to God and another man was made to look like Jesus and crucified in his stead.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Found a group I might be joining. Based on composition (so far two clerics and a druid) and me being new to D&D, it looks like I might wanna be a frontliner. Warlock looks coolest to me, but we can't all be casters and the learning curve looks higher. Fighters look bleh, though. Paladins seem neat but the oaths are a bit dull, flavor-wise. Would it be too much of a stretch to play an Oath of the Ancients paladin who emphasizes the tenets about joy and celebration and camaraderie etc instead of being some goofy green-clad elf? Like a dwarf whose devotion to celebrating and manifesting the light comes from his love of beer and song and good times? Joyless crusaders and edgy platemail batmans don't seem like my bag.

In other RPGs I tend to want to be a liar, scumbag, and weasel, and while a Paladin is none of those, at least I'd have a lot of charisma to work with.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 19, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

See I was worried someone was gonna say Bard. It's not that I'm against it, but thus far it sounds like we need a big slab of beef to be out front. Can a Valor Bard really fill that role? The impression I got was that's sort of a midline guy and that clerics and druids (of which we have 3 total) already do that.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 19, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DM gave the thumbs up to the "Party Knight" Paladin so I gotta hammer this poo poo out. What was that really sweet character creator thing that was linked a while back?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Building my Paladin for a first-time session on Friday and I want to check to make sure I understand how the spell system works. I'll just spit out my understanding of it and if I have something wrong, can someone tell me?

At level 4, my Paladin with a Charisma modifier of 3 would be able to cast 5 spells: the modifier + half my level rounded down. So I'd have 5 spells I could prepare from a big list each day and 3 slots to spend on actual daily casting. And those would include any of the chapter 11 first level Paladin spells plus the two Oath spells unlocked at level 3. Is that accurate?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Maybe this is just an issue of trying to keep options limited to simplify uptake but I'm kind of stunned that 5e Paladins are driven by the strength of their convictions and not by gods, and yet the available oaths don't use that change to offer some really interesting, different ideas. The guy that made the sweet homebrews of the Communist paladin, the contracted hellsworn, the champion of beggars and urchins, etc. -- his ideas seem like the kind of things that WotC should have put forward the moment they decided paladins are the source of their own power.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Wait wait wait wait so looking at warlock options

I could be under a fiend, take pact of the blade, use Townshend's Cudgel as the basis for it as it's a simple weapon, AND HIT PEOPLE WITH A FLAMING BLACK METAL GUITAR?! :black101:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Pact of the Blade lets you pick martial weapons too, so you might as well give it the stats of a rapier (so that you can use Dex with it) but still describe it as a flaming guitar if you feel like it.

Also 'Townshend's Crudgel' unless you have some kind of source for it that I don't, is just some guy's homebrew that he uploaded to a wiki, not an official weapon.

You can play such a character as a paladin too, by the way. Paladins have Oaths, but that Oath can be to whatever as long as your GM roughly agree on some kind of code close to what's in the PHB (sane ones will not really care). Then you just refluff the Oath archetype from the books that you like best.

Ah hell. I was just looking there because the book is a drat pain.

Even so, I had this nice idea for a warlock with a story and background and useful cantrips from the tome and such and now the prospect of smashing some idiot with a flaming hell-guitar sounds too sweet not to do.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Putting together the guitar-wielding blade pact Warlock. Is there a good source anywhere on what fiend or kind of fiend would be most likely to make such a pact? Looking at using Dragonborns' need for perfection and Entertainer's hook of having a hated rival to put the guy into a Crossroads type deal, entering a pact for music chops.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

PHB lists "arch-devils" as fiends capable of making a pact. But maybe it's not even the classic soul-for-talent type quid pro quo but an arrangement more like a Mafia favor. Less about an immortal soul and more about the value of having someone indebted to you.

Point is I'm trying to find with a Fiend patron that might have a reason to give this guy his sweet powers and blade.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If I don't get to say "Rock me, Asmodeus" at some point, this was all a waste.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone seen any good examples for a Bard flavored after being like a layabout traveling philosopher? The PHB mentions a couple times off-hand about Bards doing things other than music and I like the idea of some work-averse academic who travels from town to town bloviating about old concepts in natural philosophy - phlogiston, aether, the crystalline spheres, etc. Instead of singing people to health, they get a solid night's sleep after being bored into slumber by your lectures and Vicious Mockery could take after Diogenes type cutdowns (e.g. "Behold! A man!") I kiiiinda need to create this now.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It was less a question of if I could do it and just whether anyone's seen it pulled off well or wanted to spitball something. I love that the Sage background has "Discredited Academic" which fits wonderfully for what is ultimately a high fantasy Ted Talker speaking out his rear end.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I mean, they're literally actors doing a show for entertainment

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

koreban posted:

It has its moments. I watch it with him because D&D stuff is his and my bonding time thing and I can appreciate how much they get into it. I'd find it more than a little awkward if my friends from work all started high-fiveing at the table after beating an encounter in my game though.

I'm not trash-talking it. I'm just saying people feeling weird that they pump up the emotion a bit more than ordinary adults would are kinda missing the point of the show. It's like complaining that a TV show is funnier than real life.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I need suggestions for a neat Bard weapon that wouldn't just be obnoxious, OR suggestions for saxophone songs I can play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy1B3agGNxw&t=39s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGwDsrQ1eQ

I need more.

Inflict free-jazz on your friends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A3he2BN-1g

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The group I was gonna join didn't pan out. I live in a reasonably big city so I don't really get the difficulty I've had in finding a group that won't flake out. I'm sure there's stuff that would vary from place to place but what would I expect from weekly store D&D events? Do those tend to be welcoming to first-timers?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Playing video of your character's mom and I. It definitely will cause you damage but there's no magic - it was all physical.

*points to bedroom* "And this is where the slashing/piercing/bludgeoning happens"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I garrote the Kobold with the silk.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mil Muertes, the Thousand Deaths would be a great D&D character

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

But it's weird in that there's ten thousand variations of luchador chars and not a single other type of wrestling guy/gal. Where are the Hulk Hogans and rouseys etc

I've always wanted to have a game where I can be Great Muta

Poison Spray is available to druids, wizards, and warlocks (edit: And I guess Bards through Magical Secrets?). Which one can we get the closest to this?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 7, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ignore lists aren't that helpful if you guys keep responding to himher.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 8, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there any reason the Lucky feat is written the way it is instead of just saying you can spend a luck point to change an attack, skill check or saving roll into advantage or attack roll against you into disadvantage? It sounds like they're describing the same thing (except that you can make the choice after the first roll is made). Wasn't sure if there was any corner case sort of thing that makes the wording matter.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kurieg posted:

Because if you use lucky on a roll where you have disadvantage it turns into Mega Advantage as you roll 3 dice and keep the best one.

Haha holy poo poo that's busted.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Playing my first session ever right now on d20. I am 1 for 5 on easy rolls (Deception with +5, Eldritch Blasts with +3 against pissant goblins). It's great. I blew up a horse with Eldritch Blast.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Shouldn't that just depend on how central the mystery is to the fun of the story you're telling? There's a big difference between spoiling a big mystery with a big fun reveal and telling them "you deduce from the marks in the dirt that the bodies were dragged to the north"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Would I be hopelessly gimped running a Warforge Forge domain cleric? I love the idea of being a big walking furnace that wants to know if he has a soul and wants to meet his creator, and also grappling people and casting Heat Metal on myself.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I just don't know much about how clerics work yet -- like if I can be out on the front line taking hits and starting fires and stuff. I assume the high con and +1 to AC would help that a lot. Also don't know how the domains really stack up, like if taking Forge is leaving incredibly useful stuff on the table for little benefit or whatever.

I don't need to powergame but it's important that I can pull my weight I guess.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The mental image I'm getting of a beautifully serene sweetheart Iron Giant cleric stomping into the fray surrounded by flames and pain is too good not to do. If this particular game doesn't get off the ground I'm gonna try to run it somewhere.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

koreban posted:

Multiclass with an Undying Light Warlock and get Cha bonuses to damage on all of your Fire and Radiant spells too, as well as resistance to Radiant damage, temporary HP after rests... it's pretty good.

The thought of playing a Warforged who needs wisdom as his primary casting attribute, strength to drive that mace home, and charisma to have a modifier to add is a bit worrisome, even though making a patron of The Positive Plane feels spot on for a robot on a pilgrimage to understand the force that animates him.

It'd be pretty cool to take Green Flame Blade so you could smash someone with a mace, proc that and also your Forge domain 1d8 fire damage, both adding the CHA modifier (ahaha and another with Elemental Weapon from forge domain)

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 11, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

koreban posted:

Im not sure you have to pile on the Wis. It'd be cool for Guided Bolt, but Undying Light lets you add your Charisma Modifier to damage from Fire and Radiant spells, so if you use cleric spells that require saves from the opponent instead of spell attack rolls (Sacred Flame), you don't need to pile on the Wis. you may not have as many prepared spells to use, and *that* could be somewhat limiting, but, a lot of cleric spell options are concentration spells which you can only have one of in use at a time.

So pick one or two, take the utility spells like Sanctuary with durations and no concentration, and give yourself a 14 Wisdom while you pile on the Charisma.

Aren't spells that require an opponent's save still going to care about my wisdom because the save would be against 10+ wisdom modifier?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

How can I find what's legal for Adventurer's League? The official page, for example, says I can use any race "from the rules listed above" but doesn't list any. I know I can't use UA but what about stuff in Volos, for example?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Since it has a proper home again, crossposting where things went on the first outing with that warforged cleric:

I went to a session at a church where everyone is pretty new including the DMs. The DMing was pretty bleh and two guys desperately need the sword of the law to come down on them (plus some alignment shifts).

After a fight with some basilisks, one NPC and one party member were both petrified and our low-level crew lacked the tools to help either. Our NPC rendezvous showed up with only one restoration potion. When someone was like "hey let's see if any of these other statues look like maybe the type who could fix everyone and we can kill a lot of birds with one stone," it became a story conceit that when the statues became weatherbeaten or broken, they were beyond recovery.

Our lawful evil paladin instantly breaks a finger off the NPC statue to force the decision. If he had a good character reason for it, this would actually be pretty sweet. But it's mostly him and another guy flouting authority for the hell of it and the DM didn't have the heart to do anything about it.

I'm probably not returning, but one guy brought his kid to play and he thought my character was THE COOLEST poo poo IN THE WORLD. I used Forge domain cleric's Artisan's Blessing to build him a new dagger. It has totally mundane stats but I sat with him and planned out how awesome it was gonna look just so he'd have something cool. We settled on a color-treated blade and a hilt and pommel stylized to look like a dwarf's head. Blade had copper-inlaid dwarven runes. Very rad. I suggested he come up with a name for the dagger. I think the overall experience was negative but it was cool to get this kid thinking of stuff beyond "I attack the goblin"

Additionally, one of the two DMs is bending on the warlock rule if patron is Undying Light. We'll see if I can get the approval of both. If so, I might wanna reflavor or homebrew a familiar. Like I figure a construct who worships a forge god and has a lot of identity questions tied up in the creative act might try, after coming in contact with the positive plane, to emulate his creators and make life of his own. But none of the pact boon familiars feel thematically on point with the patron. Might try to homebrew either a Will o the Wisp or like a miniature golem. Reflavoring a quasit would be pretty sick for magic resistance but I'm at level 2 with 19 AC so maybe I don't wanna powergame it that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

They still have the rule against sorcerers and warlocks because of how those words sound to the old church members so it's not like completely enlightened, but yeah at least we're out of the 1980s Satanic Ritual Abuse panic mindset