Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

TheBlandName posted:

Hahaha. What the hell? I'm going through the basic rules PDF and perception checks are now the combination of the worst of both previous methods? The example given is that not only do you have to specify you're going to search the drawers of a cabinet, but you have to be that specific just to qualify for your dice roll check. Combining abstract rolled searching and player guided searching has neither the advantage of moving the game along nor of allowing players to feel like they're the ones who actually spotted the object.
Hello, welcome to D&D Next. Please enjoy your stay.

Have there been any rumblings of a second PHB/Vault/Monster Manual/paperback digest yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

FRINGE posted:

I no longer believe that every one of you has played in these mythical Games Of Absolute Terribleness.

Where were you during the playtest? WotC actually sent out a Games Day packet that had character sheets with skills on them and a level 1 adventure that dropped skills entirely in favor of ability checks and multiple boss monsters that could only be harmed by magic. Players in my venue nearly had a fist-fight over it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the shades got blown up at he end of the sundering so I guess we don't have to worry about that anymore.

I don't follow the metaplot, where'd [READ: what book and how] did this happen?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Details about the Demon Lords and how the Madness rules will work with them. (As Madness rules are going to be present in Out of the Abyss and Rage of Demons.)

Pretty much in the Adventures if you do something like encounter a Demon Lord or stay in an area corrupted by them for too long, you have to make a saving throw. On a failure your madness level increases by 1 and you are infected with a madness that depends on which Demon Lord is responsible. How long the Madness lasts depends on your madness level. It starts at 0 and goes up to 3. First time your score goes up to 1 and you have short term madness. (Lasts 1d10 minutes.) Second time it goes up to 2 and you have long term madness (Lasts 1d10 x10 hours.) third time your score goes up to 3 and you have indefinite Madness (Lasts until cured.) After this if you fail your score resets to 1 and the cycle repeats.
The artwork is fantastic and the Sanity mechanic could be neat, but a lot of it is going to hinge on how the 'Cure Sanity' angle works. If the Cleric just has to fart off a spell and voila, you're membrane's sane, then any sense of tension just kinda flies out the window. Also, I'm hoping they'll go with the 'discovering the unfathomable' angle driving the party towards madness instead of just having a countdown timer for combat rounds because the party is huffing evil fumes or something lazy like that.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

As a brief aside to this, please remember that Alchemist's Fire, weak molotovs, and saucy fire beetles can drop a low level party without much effort - or any effort if you roll well on damage and they can't/don't immediately put themselves out. Also, you may want a grid for this unless you enjoy arguing Schrodinger's Theater of the Mind Party Layout every time a blast goes off.

Also, let the party get some of whatever ordinance you're throwing at them at the end (or middle!) of the encounter. Explosions are always fun!

Ryuujin posted:

If they don't do Unearthed Arcana then the question would be, what do they do?
Post on EN World?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Werewhale posted:

I keep hearing this. What, exactly, makes CE so powerful for casters?

A Darker Porpoise posted:

The wording allows you to cast ranged spells in melee combat without disadvantage.

e: to clarify it says "Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn’t impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls." They neglect to include the crucial word weapon in that combo so it's open to all ranged attacks spell or weapon.

Here's the official ruling for it. You can take comfort in knowing that they made sure people actually using crossbows didn't get too OP! :suicide:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

ritorix posted:

So, uh, everyone is ready to buy the PHB2 right?

"The Ranger article had more people talking than we've had in months? Time to fire up the presses!" :v:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I thought this was clickbait and they were just doing maintenance, but they're actually shutting it down and not replacing it with anything. Not that there was much worth saving, but :psyduck:

How hard up for cash are they that they can't afford to keep servers up?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Assassins need, NEED to have a way to bypass damage resistance/immunity. Something like a vampire hunter's Assassin's Kit to take down any creature. Just roll INT (DC 20 or less) to figure out what salve or powder you have to apply to your blade.

Instead we got poo poo like "TAKE A WEEK OFF AND YOU CAN COSPLAY A DUDE FOR ONLY 100+ GOLD!"

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Dire Human posted:

Speaking of vanity projects, does 5e have any sort of gaming license yet? Ive been wanting to make little 3rd party 5e books to sell to the people chomping at the bit for new content, like the lovely little RPG entrepreneur I am.

goatface posted:

Nah, they don't seem eager to get more books out there, and they're happily contracting the work out anyway.
Considering how lack of license isn't stopping publishers like RITE from copy-pasting their old OGL material and relabeling it as Fabulous Fifth, I don't think it's terribly hard to plop out whatever you feel like.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

That's loving dumb

Hello, welcome to 5e. Enjoy your stay.

There's a reason why the Assassin's second only to beastmaster as the trapiest trap class this side of the Samurai.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

So this year, WotC will be at GaryCon but not at Gen Con.

Discuss.

Didn't they cause a stir with how lovely their last (admittedly outsourced) GenCon outing was? I can't remember if it was GenCon specifically, but I'm referring to when they had to retroactively send out Steam keys and books because the $125 VIP experience was literally the same as the 'free' experience.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

neonchameleon posted:

...and the rogue is a bit better (it's the edition with the second best rogue, but that's faint praise).
Unless Assassin sounded like a cool subclass to you, in which case 'Lern2SystemMastery.' :smaug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Agent355's poison chat has me wondering if there there been an Unearthed Arcana that makes Assassins not rear end. Is there? Because beyond having a GM with a very lenient view of what counts for 'Surprised,' their options are ridiculously situational to the point that it's almost an NPC class.