Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Great OP. You were the one who mentioned Open Mike Eagle's new album, right alan? Because I listened to it last weekend and thought it was great. Especially the Hannibal Burress feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Yeah that was me. I love that album more every time I listen (which is a lot) and it's really the first one from this year I can think of as making any sort of year-end list (maybe god complex as well). It's also secretly the second darkest rap album in the last couple years or so (nothing's gonna top Cage's "Kill the Architect"). Speaking of which, I compared it earlier to Dour Candy by billy woods, but in hindsight it's probably more similar to a more subtle, less insular take on the same themes from Cage's album.

I'll have to actually get around to listening to Cage since he's always grouped with this kind of hip-hop and I tend to enjoy it. billy woods has been putting out some of my rap of the past couple of years.

Any more stuff you'd describe as "dark"? I tend to enjoy rappers/groups I get that vibe from, like Sadistik, Eyedea & Abilities, The Roots during the 2000s, etc.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 5, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am into all of those artists. El-P is my favorite producer, if that also helps.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

If you dig that kind of stuff you should check pretty much all of Cage's catalog. Movies for the blind, hell's winter, and kill the architect are all great (depart from me had like 1 or 2 good songs, a couple more passable, and the rest was pure trash, definitely one of the biggest disappointments record-wise for me). Also Leak Bros (Cage and Tame-One). Here's one of his first songs, for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rgtp_qOfHA

Big thing is that there's not many that carry that type of tone throughout the whole album. That's the thing about "Kill the Architect"-it doesn't stop. But for some other stuff:

I'd check Buck 65-Man Overboard, Talking Honky Blues, Secret House Against The World. The last two definitely strain the definition of "rap", but if you trim out some of the outliers they definitely fit. You might as well check some of the other early anticon dudes-Sixtoo, Sole, Slug, and Doseone would be the notable ones. Grab the first (? I think it was first) anticon sampler "Music for the Advancement of Hip-Hop" (try not to roll your eyes too hard at the title, and put it in the context of the time) and see what all off of there you like. If you dig it I can do a more full writeup on some of the early anticon years and whatnot (since there's tons of random singles and eps and the dudes had albums coming out on all sorts of different labels and whatnot). You'll find stuff like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bh8ZswJHL4

Along that same line, early Atoms Family dudes deserve a look. I'm assuming you already know Can-Ox. I'd avoid Hangar 18 for dark stuff though since they have way too much bounce and pep (although I like their stuff, it's just not in that vein). Cryptic One's "Anti-Mobius Strip Theory" should be something you'd dig a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9zlTIpGvmc

For some newer stuff, Lucki Eck$ album was surprisingly dark imo. Same for Patriarch I by Deniro Fararr (although that's a lot more regular gangsta stuff). Also Gorgeous Children-their stuff kinda reminds me of "Kill the Architect" if it wasn't made by a burnout nihilist. Their last EP was just ok but the self-titled one was great (it's essentially a modern-day "Tha Infamous"), and the individual dudes have some stuff floating around:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsEk4Obh1Dg

On the billy woods tip, GDP put out a great album a couple years ago that has that same semi-political bent, so check for that for sure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8995UdVSok

I'll try to think of some more later, but that should be a good start.

I'll check those out. Thanks so much!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DOOP posted:

If I like Astronautalis and Boots Riley, who else should I listen to? Any rappers notable for primarily using live instrumentation in their songs?

Not sure how much live instrumentation he really uses (although he himself can play guitar and drums), but P.O.S. is great and has collaborated with Astronautalis, who is also from the Minneapolis scene.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Neu! posted:

Astronautalis is from Jacksonville, not that anybody cares. Duval county as a whole is notorious for being an ignorant violent place, but there's a great deal of conscious lyrical rap that's come out of the area. One of my favorite rappers from that "scene" was Tough Junkie.

http://youtu.be/VjCdTDgkBEE

He's since relocated and pops up on various Doomtree releases.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

Sadistik has a new album, the production is pretty nice. I'm not a huge fan of his voice and persona but it's pretty good so far.

I liked it but it didn't grab me like Flowers For My Father, which I loved immediately. Needs some more listens.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't know if anyone gives a poo poo about Common anymore but his new album is streaming in case anyone does.

http://hypetrak.com/2014/07/common-nobodys-smiling-album-stream/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A new track and finally details for NehruvianDOOM EP.

http://pitchfork.com/news/56032-doom-and-bishop-nehru-release-new-track-om-detail-nehruviandoom-album/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chance is playing at Lolla right now if anyone is bored: http://lollapalooza.redbull.tv/#!/stream/3

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Skeezy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxOLZVIRBM4

So here's a new Wu-Tang song off "A Better Tomorrow" (which allegedly comes out in November)

It sounds pretty good but I don't understand why they didn't rap over an instrumental version. It just made all the vocals sound weird, especially when Ghostface obviously skipped some words and RZA was off time. The performance of Triumph was a lot better.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It sounds terrible in concert too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

Spooky Black dropped an EP: https://soundcloud.com/spookyblack/sets/leaving-ep

Also, FlyLo and Kendrick are doing a song together, which is cool

e: new Vince Staples http://www.complex.com/music/2014/08/listen-vince-staples-blue-suede

I'm really curious how the FlyLo and Herbie Hancock song will be.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not sure if it was mentioned but the new Armand Hammer EP (Billy Woods and Elucid) dropped last week. Race Music was one of the best rap albums from last year and Billy Woods is seriously the poo poo, so check it out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I agree, but often I'm distracted from his lyrics because I'm in love with the production. My tastes are usually in the metal and heavy rock arena, so that brutal, grimy, sort of claustrophobic style of beat that he seems to favor sounds great to me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I mean...I guess if I were to pick a Primus song to rap over it would be that one. I like it but Primus are also my favorite band of all time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Today for my job I'm going to see MC Hammer speak and possibly interview him about tech innovations and entrepreneurship.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That DOOM/Bishop Nehru EP is promising.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ratking were abysmal live when I saw them opening for Death Grips last year--mostly seemed stoned and bored--but I will defer to the other posters about their actual musical quality. I've heard nothing about positive things about their studio output but haven't gotten to it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

thathonkey posted:

I always thought Wu-tang was the best rap group by most metrics :shrug:

Wu-Tang really only have two good albums as a group. If you take solo albums into account it might be a different story.

Personally I would say the best are The Roots (although it's probably disingenuous to call them a rap group) or A Tribe Called Quest. I'm struggling to think of groups with more than two good MCs besides the Beastie Boys.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Christ, dudes, I said "I'm struggling to think of groups" not "there are no groups with more than two good MCs and anyone who says otherwise is a liar." Also somebody posted Run-DMC in response, which is weird because they only have two rappers period.

alansmithee posted:

Why is it disingenuous to call The Roots a rap group? Also, did the Beastie Boys have some extra hidden members that made them have more than 2 good MCs? Also there's been a ton more groups that would easily have as many good MCs as the Beastie Boys, if that's your criteria.
I forgot that Black Thought isn't the only guy who raps in the Roots. It throws me off that they have a lot of songs "featuring" Dice Raw and Malik B just slipped my mind.

I like all three of the Beastie Boys as rappers, although it's really more about their chemistry with each other than any individual skill.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Also fwiw even if it was just mostly Black Thought rapping, I'd still think they were a "group" unless you want to make some distinction between "group" and "band" which I doubt het is even pedantic enough to bother arguing.
That's fair. I just usually think of "rap group" as some MCs and maybe a consistent DJ.

quote:

I do feel you on the Beastie Boys though. I'd actually make the case that it's partially their lack of insane individual skill that let them sound good together. I know they're considered kinda corny now, but J5 used to be solid in terms of actually having multiple MCs on one track actually sounding like a group vs. just a bunch of dudes all rapping individually. Some early Demigodz stuff has that same vibe too. Even Wu who are arguably the best rap group ever didn't usually meld all that well on their tracks-it was just a bunch of individually talented dudes (and U-God) all doing largely self-contained verses. That stands out more when you look at Rae and Ghost's first albums where dudes just seem to vibe together. Duos seem to have a much better time with it in general.
Thanks for reminding me of Jurassic 5 as a glaring omission. Chali 2na has the voice of my dreams. And yeah, duos with great interplay are probably my favorite thing in hip-hop. It's why I love Run the Jewels so much, even more than R.A.P. Music which is probably an objectively better album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

power botton posted:

As a canadian jew it would be more shocking if he was.

Canada has produced the last two number 1 picks in the NBA Draft ignore how terrible Anthony Bennett is. Jews haven't had much since Dolph Schayes, but my people really like basketball for some reason anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Blockbuster Night Part 1 makes me want to do so many terrible things.

I just moved to Chicago this week without a job and I might buy my ticket to that show at the Metro today.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 24, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

spoils posted:

Dopeee

Goddamn Zac de La Rocha why did you have to ruin the album and my groove
BITCHES BREW get it

I thought he did pretty good, but I'm also a huge fan of Rage and One Day as a Lion.

Love Again was kind of annoying, but I guess it's just a female version of Twin Hype Back.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just got my ticket. Missing Flying Lotus tonight but I've had this poo poo circled for months in both Detroit and Chicago.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

thathonkey posted:

RAP music on the other hand i dont think ive ever heard mentioned outside of this thread :shrug:

Most music sites I look at loved that album, and with good reason. It unfortunately came out in a year where GMKC stole all the hip-hop accolades toward the end.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pretty much all of those things are stuff I like in hip-hop. It sounds more like RTJ doesn't suit your tastes than like it's overhyped.

Also lol, Odd Future. And Flatbush Zombies are fun but I don't really hear the similarities.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

temple posted:

It can be both not my taste and overhyped. Can we just cut to the chase and have a katana duel over this album?
That would be more fitting for an argument about Wu-Tang.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I also just don't think of RTJ as dark or angry. The first album is as much fun as I've ever had listening to a rap album. R.A.P. Music is a lot angrier but when I think of "dark" hip-hop I think of like Billy Woods.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

I read that whole review and it was poo poo from beginning to end. RTJ2 is gonna be AOTY for the "I don't like rap, but" crowd so I'm already acting like I never thought it was any good.

I have not met a single RTJ fan that doesn't like rap. This is not Macklemore.

Kenshin posted:

I had to use urbandictionary to find out what "fuckboy" meant.

Um, ok, thanks for the "warning" Mr Cohen.

It's used on the first album and in the group's own marketing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Another Person posted:

Old is probs one of my favourite albums in rap, so I disagree, just listen to Float On and tell me that is not the most mortal thing you have ever heard coming from the immortal king of pills that is Danny Brown. It is such a shockingly stark, yet perfect ending to an album, probably my fave closer ever.

Sorry but the man already had the best rap closer ever in 30.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Speaking of Aesop Rock, somebody made a mashup album of him and Tom Waits if anyone is bored and interested.
http://aesopwaits.bandcamp.com/releases

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I AM BRAWW posted:

Ghostface has a new album coming out next month. Here's the first track off of it.

Ghostface Killah - Love Don't Live Here No More

I really like how oldschool he still sounds. Ghostface goes in.

36 Seasons:
01 The Battlefield [ft. GFK, Kool G Rap, AZ, Tre Williams]
02 Love Don’t Live Here No More [ft. Kandace Springs]
03 Here I Go Again [ft. GFK, AZ, Rell]
04 Loyalty [ft. Kool G Rap, Nems]
05 It’s a Thin Line Between Love and Hate [ft. The Revelations]
06 The Dog’s of War [ft. GFK, Shawn Wigs, Kool G Rap]
07 Emergency Procedure [ft. GFK, Pharoahe Monch]
08 Double Cross [ft. GFK, AZ]
09 Bamboo’s Lament [ft. Kandace Springs]
10 Pieces of the Puzzle [ft. GFK, AZ]
11 Homicide [ft. GFK, Nems, Shawn Wigs]
12 Blood in the Streets [ft. GFK, AZ]
13 Call My Name [ft. GFK]
14 I Love You For All Seasons [ft. The Revelations]

Three Kool G. Rap features? Also Ghost and Pharoahe could be a cool combo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

This is actually pretty good, especially Danny Brown's verse. If only for "Zan got me cross-eyed like Bernstein's son."

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 12, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

thathonkey posted:

Pusha T namedropping ric flair is still the most random one

Ric Flair was super popular though. The most random namedrops are middling NBA players that are probably friends with whoever mentions them, like Brevin Knight in a Jedi Mind Tricks song or Kelvin Cato in some other song.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A bit behind but those Busdriver and Hail Mary Mallon albums are both really solid. "Ego Death" especially.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Corny songs get labeled as such because they're painfully on the nose, not because they have positive messages hth

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Yuzenn posted:

On the subject of Macklemore, he is literally just stealing from rap culture(synonymous with black culture), profiting off of it heavily, and people are consuming it at a loving alarming rate. If the reason why he deserves a Grammy is because he makes uplifting music then Common should be swimming in them. poo poo half the reason his music is even tolerable is because of Ryan Lewis and people don't even act like he exists half the time and gets 0% of the credit.
It's telling that the best song on The Heist is probably the instrumental. I actually like the album okay (it certainly grew off me quick), but it's mostly because of Lewis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wezlar posted:

The only thing I want to hear is Detroit vs Everyone or whatever it's called

That song is already out.