Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

PleasureKevin posted:

Surface RT Inventory Adjustments
Revenue: $(38)
Gross Margin: $(900)
Operating Income: $(900)
Diluted EPS: $(0.07)

this means they lost $900 million on the RT??

wow that's quite the line item

also their losses under "corporate" were probably just goodwill impairment and all that other magic poo poo that makes up a balance sheet. I've seen companies yo-yo from profit to loss and back again by millions in "corporate" based on that sort of accounting stuff from quarter to quarter, it's really annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

On October 5, 2005, he was one of nine Senators who voted against a Senate amendment to a House bill that prohibited cruel, inhumane, or degrading treatment or punishment of individuals in the custody or under the physical control of the United States Government.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

qirex posted:

whatever guy invented the 7 figure severance package [even if you're fired for gross incompetence] must have his portrait up in every business school across america

once you make it to C-level you literally cannot gently caress up

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

infernal machines posted:

outlook 2011 is a huge unstable piece of poo poo. idk about word or excel or whatever but they're probably similar. also the updater is the most hilariously stupid piece of software i've ever seen

the first update for mac office is an update to the updater that you have to manually download and install

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

this is what happens why you try to run that file

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

this is the next update after that update

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

and then it makes you restart your mac to get more updates

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Blackula69 posted:

this is what happens why you try to run that file

i am not a beep boop computer man but shouldn't microsoft be signing their software in a way that lets it be installed

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

and why don't they use the app store and...

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

you know that "paste as" menu that's helpful in 2013 and 2010

it does not exist in mac office

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

just FYI as the resident football guy those surfaces are going to be a loving disaster. coaches HATE change, and there's no loving way a bunch of old white men are going to be using lovely tablets to do their game planning

if it lasts 4 weeks i'll be genuinely surprised. their screens are also not the right size for the photographs, which are usually letter-sized - a 16:9 image won't show you what you need

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

like it will it's just the wrong aspect ratio

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

is this going to be a thing now I guess

let's make very thread a circlejerk

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

there's no way they won't use them to get high quality images from upstairs

the coach will have some intern show him the pictures and he'll then go back to his paper, but they'll be used!

yeah i guess there will be a "tablet guy" now, i'm just skeptical that they improve on the photographs in any way

also we won't get moments like this anymore:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

infernal machines posted:

no but we will get to see them pawing as the screen with increasing frustration as their sweaty hands fail to register on the digitizer

i wonder how many will be literally thrown out of frustration

some 330lb offensive lineman with sausage fingers pawing at the screen trying to see the d-line stunts

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Scott Forstall posted:

lmao good luck

why would anyone ever go to fifth ave ever

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

qirex posted:

if other large orgs are anything like ours they're so traumatized from agreeing to IE-only tools a decade ago that everything they buy/build now runs in lots of browsers

haha i think I'm gonna install the yosemite beta on my work comp just because I can

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

wait what the gently caress, you're saying office 365 is tied to a windows account? when the target market is enterprise? what's the model, that each individual user will have a msoft account or what

that makes no sense

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

oh okay, i misunderstood. because that would be crazy

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

homo punching bag posted:

i use this for my media browsin at home

and its gotta be the last good thing logitech has made. i gently caress this thing up, constantly forgetting its on my lap only to have it smash into the floor, batteries fly out, etc. but if u put it back together it works just fine

of course being logitech they recently took it off the market and introduced a new version that replaces the volume buttons up top with home/back/forward buttons for IDIOTS so now its trash. its a really good keyboard if u just have a laptop stashed behind ur LCD as a "media PC"

if ur noticing a pattern u are correct i only buy dumb poo poo for babies

I have the new version and I wish it had volume buttons

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Apple’s iOS still rules the enterprise space, even after having fallen 5 percentage points to 67 percent of total device activations in Q2 2014. Android device activations increased the same amount to 32 percent of total activations last quarter, while Windows Phone activations remain consistent with the five previous quarters: flat at 1 percent.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

i feel sorry for you if you have medical problems or something but tbh i am guessing mushy rubber dome keys cause more issues than scissor switches. you should probably try one before resorting to a keyboard that's sticking up in the middle for no reason

I tried to get a yospos-approved nerd keyboard but they're lame as heck to type on. I've been using scissor switches & low-profile kbs for years now, can't switch back

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

urban myth

yeah it doesnt really work, it was on oitnb

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

literally using one at a pc rn

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

that can't be real

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I wasn't being declarative but yeah, I can imagine they're not exactly hot resellers

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

did they fix this loving poo poo yet or is my computer still a time bomb

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Scott Forstall posted:

Paul's on vacation, but that doesn't mean he can't provide insightful commentary into the complex technology industry.

does paul not understand that a financial website would be interested in profits and revenues rather than market share

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Sniep posted:

we're going to win this year -me talking about my selection of nfl players which is mostly random that represents my fake team on a website competition

it was clear it was just stupid. and the collective makes sense, it doesn't imply connection.

graph just mad he's drafting last this year

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

So is this going to be a thing all season?

i've already seen at least four games where the actual position coaches etc. weren't even bothering to use the surfaces, just using the same old photo binders.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

qirex posted:

I was watching this movie last week where a volvo auto-braking system was an integral part of a car chase

it's called "special ID" it's basically "donnie yen watched ong bak and the raid and got some ideas" and it's lame but amusing and on netflix streaming

SPL was really good but everything donnie's done since then has been kinda lovely

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

if you like martial arts movies watch this one, it is awesome http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0821470/

also wait, did steve anonymously tank the apple stock and then convince the board the lovely stock performance warranted him coming back onboard 2 months later? oh man that guy was ridiculous

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

seriously though watch that korean movie I linked it's really fun and great and has some amazing stuntwork including an extended sequence inspired by the Warriors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMjDlYtXtuU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait, wasn't the 360 notoriously cheap as well? I mean they cut out the mandatory hard drive, no pads on the disc drive, and that entire bloody xclamp design...?

wait i didn't know about some of this stuff, can you explain

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

i knew about that cd thing but forgot about the HDD-less version. lol what a joke

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

so they released a bug fix with more bugs

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

computer parts posted:

people still bitch about os x like this, even though they've upgraded literally every year for the past 3 years and the same thing happens every time

wait but indexing takes like 15 minutes max on any mac post-2008

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

once you have a mac with an ssd and an i5 you have to have some pretty specific needs for it to no longer suit them.

i have a 2008 macbook nonpro with an ssd and it can pretty much do anything. i only wish it had better battery life, at 3 hours.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

he does tons of video production and has a very large lab with green screen poo poo and very, very expensive camera drones

he uses them as rolling monitors set up with some hand-made software that hooks up to the various equipment he uses

The lab is basically a gigantic clusterfuck of random poo poo and since he prefers to roll all his own software and keeps his lab on its own subnet we only really help provide purchasing and warranty support when his stuff breaks

the lab is a mishmash of workstation-class machines, a couple racks of various servers and video processing equipment, some imacs/mac pros, drones, etc. Also a small rolling wall of 4k TVs.

For some reason there was an Ouya in there when I stopped by on Friday. :shrug:

being a tenured professor is a loving dream job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

i recently reinstalled windows 7 and it's still at minimum a four-restart process

• Locked thread