Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Captain Foo posted:

paging hackbunny

bitlocker is a little too new for me :shrug: but skimming the google results it seems it only matters to the recovery key. the actual encryption key is random :nsa: and stored in the TPM (dunno how a passphrase factors into that). what do I know tho, I have Windows Poors Edition and I use truecrypt fde

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm guessing they do something like salt with the system name instead of a sane thing like the sid

not that you'd notice if they used the SID, because you can't change that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

uncurable mlady posted:

i tried to install the update again - the computer logs off, restarts, looks like it boots to a update screen then immediately reboots again. helpful.

i checked the event log and found some unintelligible info level reports from the windows crash reporter. well, might as well see if i can figure out where the error log got dumped to.

2016-08-03 09:08:32, Error SP CSetDefaultBootEntry: BCD Open failed. Error: 0x00003BC3
2016-08-03 09:08:32, Error SP Operation failed: Set SafeOS boot entry as the default boot entry. Error: 0x80073BC3[gle=0x000000b7]
2016-08-03 09:08:32, Error SP Operation execution failed: 9. hr = 0x80073BC3[gle=0x000000b7]
2016-08-03 09:08:32, Error SP CSetupPlatformPrivate::Execute: Execution of operations queue failed, abandoning. Error: 0x80073BC3[gle=0x000000b7]

gj ms

hresult 0x80073BC3? all hresults of the form 0x8007xxxx are actually win32 errors, so this is win32 error 0x3bc3, or 15299, which is ERROR_SYSTEM_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND. doubt it helps but so there :tipshat:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

SupSuper posted:

are you secretly raymond chen

I get that a lot
but seriously who doesn't know what HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(x) expands to

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Janitor Prime posted:

where else do they go

scanner drivers don't need to be in kernel mode. very few drivers need to run in kernel mode

• Locked thread