Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
not enough pleasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

minivanmegafun posted:

I wrote something in outlook 2013 for windows and went "holy gently caress who thought a sliding inset caret was a good idea?" you see that poo poo in movies but that doesn't mean it actually makes sense in practice

also why is the entire UI IN CAPS like "UPDATING FOLDER Inbox"

Because they flattened the poo poo out of the ui so the only way to differentiate a tab or whatever from other poo poo is to capitalize it. It looks like rear end

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

it's a specific simple embedded application, they'd be foolish not to use RTs

i bet they're top of the line surface 3s

much like any vendor would on a high-profile product application

but microsoft figured out how to gently caress it up as per usual

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

my neighbor has a relatively new laptop with Win8 on it and the hdd needed to be replaced

now it blue screens all the time.

That's the start screen

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

i love the on-brand kickstand sounds in the last one :3:

The foley is really poo poo, incl the fake typing sounds and the "windows has hosed up" sound when he hits internet exploder

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

I'm the Internet Explorer mouse cursor

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Sniep posted:

*digs thru failed windows 7 logos bin*

Very atari

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

what the gently caress is an email machine and why do top-level microsoft execs keep mentioning it

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

when you do a gritty reboot, you're supposed to tack on either "The" or "Origins"

The Windows for Bing Workgroups LIVE!

Windows: IntelliOrigins Pro powered by NT Technology

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Sudo Echo posted:

why is it they can't do better than irc

Lync is 50x worse than msn, released 12 years prior. It even looks like rear end and works 3% of the time. For a loving chat icq clone.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Windows 9: Solidifying Windows 7 as the Next Windows XP™

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

that taskbar icon of a folder in a drawer (?) is definitely redesigned and they just flattened the old one instead of making an actual new monochrome one

It is a folder holder

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

at the date posted:

I actually like the look of Windows 8/9 style application interfaces with the bright colors, no drop shadows, etc. It's very readable. :shrug:

there are drop shadows in the windows 9 screenshots ar eyou blind

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

New start menu that they punted to Win 9 is looking alright

http://winfuture.de/videos/Software/Windows-9-Das-neue-Startmenue-in-Aktion-12906.html

Fill it up with more and more TILESSSSSSSSSS

And don't worry, the Win 8 start screen is still there, unchanged. It's almost like this is the Win 8.2 they showed off at BUILD

That's looking alright? it's like they stripped out 75% of the functionality of the start menu, by windows 13 we'll have it all back. now buy our products

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

nvm

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

anthonypants posted:

one of the windows search updates from windows update put a searchbar on the taskbar in the bottom right next to the systray icons

is what i originally posted but he's talking about the one vista/7 has in the start menu that does local search

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

The founders: Notch, Carl, and Jakob are leaving. We don’t know what they’re planning. It won’t be Minecraft-related but it will probably be cool.

when reached for comment, notch confirmed this included "swimming atop piles of cash a la scrooge mcduck"

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

if you never bought the Microsoft Plus! Pack you honestly have not lived

and i should have said ibm aptivas not ps/2s, i'm humiliated

lol if you actually bought Plus! for windows 95 and didn't just borrow the cd from your friend's dad

just lol

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

the desktop windows look hideous in windows eight point one update one point oh. server 2012 r2 defaults to some ugly-rear end seafoam green with thin black text at a horrible dpi so it all looks wrong, the perfect product for enterprise

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

cleartype was the beginning of the end

i want pixels

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Wheany posted:

yes, the displays for surface tablet computers (as opposed to the surface computing platform now known as pixelsense), known as cleartype was the beginning of the end. but the sub-pixel based text antialiasing solution also known as cleartype owns.

no i mean the other thing you are wrong and also gay

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

pagancow posted:

also keep in mind these were being rendered over VGA to CRTs at 1024x768 which could do some fuzzy things too.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

remember when I predicted the next generation Xbox would be called the #Xbox ?? well I did and I was close

hashbox

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

Windows Evoque

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

What the gently caress is a workflow

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

*grabs people*

*drags them into the recycle bin*

Wait no

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

G-III posted:

I like Howie Mandella

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

FMguru posted:

msft has been producing and promoting tablets since 1991. here is billy gates with a message for you from 2002:

i'm the completely wrong jacket size, in typical billg fashion choice

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

i knew someone who bought a windows phone when wp7 came out because it looked cool but ended up buying some pos running winmo 6.1, so essentially this

if there's an image more mid-2000s than this please post it

Walk the dog :)

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Amethyst posted:

Skype for Business LIVE! for Business Bing Plus! for Workgroups Professional Edition LIVE!

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Hello from Seattle was their embarrassing answer to designed by Apple in California in the zune days. Wel com eto the soc ial

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

infernal machines posted:

you did it wrong :(

I could have swore it was arranged like that somewhere. Oh well have this image anyway

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Venn diagram of people who care about am radio and people who care about playing poo poo with a smartphone

O O

I am a smartphine enthusajst and I also listen to a lot of am radio

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

zune never even getting released in canada is still funny to me, everyone involved just wanted to throw in the towel right away, so why even bother with a simple french packaging translation

Pretty sure I bought two zunes at the burlington Ontario worst buy store in 2008 sir

Shameful but it indeed happened

What did also happen was the exit of the zune from Canada by the time zune Hd rolled around

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"Microsoft.com is a terrible website"
-bill Gates

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

my stepdads beer posted:

that close button

[ ] Don't show this again

because we at microsoft have figured out a use case in which we would want to repeatedly show you this dialog box

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

is there a way to stop Skype for desktop from putting a giant ad banner at the top of the window that only advertises Skype features

yes. stop using terrible software

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

lol "Skype for Desktop" :thumbsup:

to complement the entire line of For Desktop™© products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

thanks

• Locked thread