Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

minivanmegafun posted:

4bpp dithering always looked so terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
buump

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

nice

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

doesn't explain why they need to reinstall drivers

it's because windows treats USB device security very seriously and it's re-installing the driver into a special sandbox area that sanitizes all USB input and output to help prevent malicious devices from taking control of your computer

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

raruler posted:

it's because windows treats USB device security very seriously and it's re-installing the driver into a special sandbox area that sanitizes all USB input and output to help prevent malicious devices from taking control of your computer
but why does it take so long

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

because its crap op

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

raruler posted:

lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

windows takes security about as seriously as OBAMA TAKES THE BORDER SECURITY

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i finally saw a winphone in the wild last night. dude let me play around with it for a bit and honestly it didn't seem so bad. if they actually put the effort/discipline into maintaining the line it could have probably taken on the iphone

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Luigi Thirty posted:

windows takes security about as seriously as OBAMA TAKES THE BORDER SECURITY

ice buuuurrrnnnnnnnnn

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Necc0 posted:

i finally saw a winphone in the wild last night. dude let me play around with it for a bit and honestly it didn't seem so bad. if they actually put the effort/discipline into maintaining the line it could have probably taken on the iphone

my brother swears by windows phone because he's "not much of an app guy" and he just gave me a new Jawbone UP because it doesn't have a winPho app

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sounds like being retarded runs in the family lol!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Necc0 posted:

i used wp7 "mango" or whatever that had copy/paste and it was a nice interface that worked well for phones

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Necc0 posted:

the first touchscreen interface for windows phone came out three years after iphone and two years after android, so they were late to the market

when they finally got out there, they threw all developers under the bus by making wp7 incompatible with all prior versions. then they did it again by making wp8 incompatible with wp7

windows phone has poo poo market share because it has been heinously mis-managed as a product and no sane person would write software for a platform that has no users and a history of being hosed over

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
also wp7 was buggy as poo poo and most manufacturers built poo poo hardware (HTC i'm looking at you)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

only ever knew one person with a windows phone

he won it in a Microsoft app development contest

his app didn't work but neither did anyone else's and his looked the nicest

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

aha there was a thing on that Microsoft blog about this, something about how not all USB devices have serial numbers so windows can't uniquely identify the same device plugged into a different port. your device is stupid and doesn't have a serial number.

ahh this explains why i have to go through the process of manually picking drivers for my knockoff wireless xbox controller adapter every time i unplug it.

whatev, still less shameful than paying £20 for the real one

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

it also said that quite often all devices from a manufacturer have the same serial number and fun things happen in windows 95 when two USB devices have the same serial number

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

it also said that quite often all devices from a manufacturer have the same serial number and fun things happen in windows 95 when two USB devices have the same serial number

but windows 95 is a 20 year old os, surely you wouldn't need to work around issues like that anym...

ohhhh

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i knew someone who bought a windows phone when wp7 came out because it looked cool but ended up buying some pos running winmo 6.1, so essentially this

if there's an image more mid-2000s than this please post it

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

heh this one was always my favorite

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

where the gently caress is scott

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Generic Monk posted:

i knew someone who bought a windows phone when wp7 came out because it looked cool but ended up buying some pos running winmo 6.1, so essentially this

Walk the dog :)

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

ahh this explains why i have to go through the process of manually picking drivers for my knockoff wireless xbox controller adapter every time i unplug it.

whatev, still less shameful than paying £20 for the real one

yeah no your way is way more shameful

rule 36 bitch

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Generic Monk posted:

i had one of those

it was bad

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the first touchscreen interface for windows phone came out three years after iphone and two years after android, so they were late to the market

when they finally got out there, they threw all developers under the bus by making wp7 incompatible with all prior versions. then they did it again by making wp8 incompatible with wp7

windows phone has poo poo market share because it has been heinously mis-managed as a product and no sane person would write software for a platform that has no users awpnd a history of being hosed over

wp7 is/was a skin over WinCE

wp8 is winNT kernel

next gen winpho is same code as desktop windows

tmyk

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the post-iphone rush to push out touch-driven smartphones using whatever poo poo os was available at the time was a glorious thing that led to terrible products like the htc touch diamond and the samsung omnia.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

scott forstall\s best decision was to drive the use of the OS X kernel and development model inside iPhone

led to tony fadell leaving and nest, so idk how that ended up

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

this is excellent

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Malcolm XML posted:

next gen winpho is same code as desktop windows

tmyk

and this is going to help consumers how?

no one gives a poo poo that they can run ms access and ski free on their phablet when you can't get your jawbone up and whatever else app to work

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

no one gives a poo poo that they can run ms access and ski free on their phablet when you can't get your jawbone up and whatever else app to work

microsoft would have done well 5 or so years ago with this

unfortunately businesses are starting to accept ios so ms is kinda screwed

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

scott forstall\s best decision was to drive the use of the OS X kernel and development model inside iPhone

led to tony fadell leaving and nest, so idk how that ended up

didn't they have to recall every nest device ever sold recently

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

no, not even close. they recalled the smoke alarm after selling it for a really short time.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

didn't gm have to recall every car ever made recently?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blackula69 posted:

didn't gm have to recall every car ever made recently?

no but they probably should

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

hey u tell me

head of windows can barely afford a dece tailor

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

microsoft would have done well 5 or so years ago with this

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Microsoft to launch its wearable fitness band in coming weeks

• Locked thread