Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

why are bideo games publishers so afraid to actually put gameplay in their adds? shame? fear of disappointment? poo poo builds early in development when the ad is produced? it's everywhere and i just lol everytime i see some 30 second fmv with no clue to even the game's genre.

they literally all look the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Win 8.1: good(?)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
microsoft's naming scheme would be hilarious if they weren't so strict on licensing

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Metrication posted:

is 'meow' a word that is the real question

猫喵

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miley Virus posted:

ahahahhaah even when they try their hardest they still end up promoting the competition

didn't they do it during preseason too? so the announcers just don't give a gently caress

i think they think that tablets are just called iPads

like they were saying "yeah you can watch stuff on your PC, or on your smartphone, or on your iPad! or even conventional TV of course"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

univbee posted:

one thing i do miss is an im client that lets me use custom smilies (like importing the sa ones) in a way where it actually gets sent to the person i'm chatting with in a way where they don't have to have the same customizations. MSN messenger was awesome for that :smith:

QQ does this, but it's chinese so it's not that popular in the us

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cardboard Box A posted:

No one used ICQ outside of the US and Russia

an ICQ clone is currently the most popular chat app in china

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

what poo poo product is licensing by core instead of socket these days?

lol sorry about your poo poo amd processor, here's 25% off.

oracle does that iirc

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blackula69 posted:

Microsoft is planning games for your PC’s web browser.

According to a report from technology news website Neowin, the software company is experimenting with Xbox 360 and Xbox One games that run on Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing network.

Sources told Neowin the service could send Xbox games to browsers at 60 frames per second, which is smoother than some native games on the Xbox One, and with full dashboard support — just like consoles. Microsoft Research published a report in August on a project named Outatime, which looks to allow gameplay over Azure, The Guardian found.

Since the cloud does the heavy lifting, the resulting stream would work just about anywhere: on Internet Explorer or Chrome, or even on smaller devices like smartphones.

This news comes about a year after Microsoft showed off a version of Halo 4 running from the cloud. The Verge then reported that Microsoft had kept latency at playable levels, even on Windows Phone devices.

this explains minecraft

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fabricated posted:

maybe its the lf in me but i'd feel kinad gross if i had 2.5 billion dollars

im really boring; i don't think i could spend that much money if i tried and i don't have any vices taht i could spend that much money on

stick it in an investment account, live off the interest

the s&p average return is like 8% but even if it's half that you still make like $100million per year

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
maybe microsoft bought minecraft so they could use it for free

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mishaq posted:

they wanted to turn it into an internal collaboration tool

there's someone at my university researching whether we can use second life to replace chemistry labs so i wouldn't doubt it tbh

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ahmeni posted:

how do they still have funding after this long

because the university wants to push online courses so it can fit 12000 more engineers + whatever happens in other fields from natural growth and we're running out of room in our chem labs

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
tbh for non-related fields (so non-chemistry heavy majors) i could see it being a thing because you only really need a general knowledge and you're not ever going to use it again

they were pushing it for the chem major chemistry lab though and that's just sort of a recipe for disaster

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thanks Ants posted:

it was quite hard to actually get non poverty-spec for while though. dell latitude, hp elitebook etc. were all rocking poo poo screens up to about a year ago.

even some of those dumb alienware laptops had 1366x768 screens

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thanks Ants posted:

well yeah obviously i meant what does a brain damaged person do if they want a well built not-mac?

hp re entered the market so them, Lenovo, and Asus I guess

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

microsoft will release windows 9, everyone will call it windows nein, then they will rebrand it to just "windows", then they will rebrand it again to something horribly stupid and confusing

Windows X

*promptly gets sued by Apple*

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thanks Ants posted:

with a lowercase w

it'll be like aol

windows. (with the period )

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fabricated posted:

like the vast majority of consumers will still be using windows in 10 years as far as desktop computing goes

now everything that isn't a desktop pc...yeah lol it'll all be anroid/ios/osx/chromeos

desktops are only like one quarter of the market if you exclude smartphones though

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blackula69 posted:

Forbes AND idc? my friend, you have yourself an unreliable source

it's surprisingly hard to get a breakdown of sales by platform

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

graph posted:

anyone else notice the lack of surface/nfl surface branding on the fox nfl pregame show? lol

they only paid the nfl proper for the surface stuff, fox doesn't have to do anything

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'll probably get an mba eventually but just because :

eschaton posted:

an MBA is just another way for a middle manager to rise through the ranks in an over-managed bureaucracy, not a way to actually learn about business in any real useful way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lysidas posted:

there actually can be some relatively :coal: math involved in figuring out the best way to run a business or divide up resources

do mba programs teach linear programming?

I doubt it but I'm learning how to do that already and it is pretty cool

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
actual mexican food is probably less healthy for you than chipotle

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Last Chance posted:

they couldn't just release it for free no sir

or at least have a free version that doesn't do AD so you don't have small businesses trying to gently caress over your precious licensing scheme

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blackula69 posted:

i have an i5 2500k and a gtx 670 with windows 7 and there have literally not been any huge upgrades to those components since i bought it except in power efficiency (except in windows lol)

i doubt it will for some time; right now console developers are awash in having more than half a gig of RAM so nothing's going to push stuff too hard except in that regard (and getting 16GB of RAM is easy these days)

although the new thing seems to be 4k resolution but aside from dickwaving i haven't seen it actually provide meaningful differences in graphical quality

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

univbee posted:

for real, i don't see why anyone is going to bother upgrading from windows 7. like, ever.

i'll upgrade when i get a new macbook pro but since i don't have $3500 for a computer right now i'm fine waiting until windows 11 12 if that's how it'll be

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

can any other os compete with windows in the enterprise?

enterprise is kind of a vague term

if you mean office poo poo, then yeah it's theoretically possible

for a lot of enterprise services all they need "don't change for x years" and windows is the best at doing that (and they've been around for x+n years)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pagoe posted:

I don't understand what's wrong with hfs+. enlighten me please

it's a hacked together stuff made for backwards compatibility and it's not very pretty at all

it's basically what you'd expect if microsoft developed a(nother) file system

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
man of steel owns

battleship was okay

godzilla 2014 was better than pacific rim

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Improbable Lobster posted:

lots of places don't have the digital infrastructure that the states do and even ones that do haven't latched onto digital gaming as hard as americans have

that's because digital gaming has been more of a pc only thing until recently though

GOG is owned by the Witcher devs and they're based out of Poland

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Beeftweeter posted:

is this different from the current version of office? looks about the same to be but i've only used it once

the current version isn't grey but otherwise that looks about the same (including the "login to your app" window)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

carry on then posted:

its definitely above open office though, and honestly pretty capable as long as everyone is using pages

office is pretty much uncontested on any platform though

office for mac is poo poo for various reasons, but they arbitrarily changed some of the function names for the VBA code so your macros won't even work cross platform

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
oh yeah, powerpoint for mac trips my dedicated graphics and i don't know why

nothing else in office does it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cold on a Cob posted:

numbers is fine for me but businesses literally run on insane piles of excel macros

and as i mentioned earlier a lot of those don't even work in mac office (even simple stuff like "fill in this cell and then switch to this other cell").

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

univbee posted:

welp, u.s. xboxen are getting a $50 price drop in a week, including all bundles

when it gets to about $100 maybe i'll buy it, i bought a gamecube for that much

wait, adjusting for inflation, i guess i'll pay $150

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FMguru posted:

which is worse: google/apple twee ukelele + glockenspiel music, or msft trying to be in da club?

the samsung "definition of mediocrity music" commercials

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Number19 posted:

i'm going to go out on a limb here but i think that microsoft laying off a lot of their qa team is really hurting their ability to deliver stable updates

and the whole thing about non-full time employees not being allowed access to the servers for 6 months at a time

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Remicks posted:

what's all the hype with 4k video shames anyway? I really can't tell much of a difference on most monitors

bigger numbers = better than

and really there's not much more growth for graphics, at least not nearly the same rate as the past 15-20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phoenixan posted:

i honestly thought that game graphics haven't actually evolved much further than that of half-life 2 episode one except with more post processing effects layered on top

nah, everything looks tons better, just compare episode 1 with battlefield 4 or something

the biggest difference though is that in 2006 (or 2004 for hl2) everything was a strict linear path and looked like that, whereas battlefield has gigantic maps and looks ten times better

• Locked thread