Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what's really happening is that more and more office apps aren't needed for "real work" as LoB applications are largely web-based now, sure people still need to make presentations and spreadsheets but it's not core work for a growing number of employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

no it's called "office apps are slowly becoming irrelevant and there's nothing Microsoft can do about it"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that's a lot of talk about mobile for the company that's celebrating its recent victory over blackberry

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

i think that microsoft has an opening right now that they could exploit to sell appliance-like home servers as a platform-agnostic "personal cloud", which would let them get windows in there as the glue that binds disparate services and ecosystems together, but they're not smart enough to execute

yeah they already tried this and it was a disaster because they were so afraid that small businesses would buy them instead of SBS they were completely hobbled then had features removed through updates, etc.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the problem with selling home servers is that the stuff they're best for isn't things you can really talk about in an ad, it would probably cause some problems if MS was all "store your ripped DVDs and downloaded movies/TV in one place then stream them to any device" in an ad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

i unironically wish i could put my dvd rips on my time capsule and watch them from my apple tv but i can't so i just keep that poo poo on my gaming pc

there's ways to approximate it but it involves a lot of itunes and nobody really wants that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the challenge is to come up with a consumer clod product that wouldn't make the business tools team freak out and have you fired

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if this

quote:

every team across Microsoft must find ways to simplify and move faster, more efficiently. We will increase the fluidity of information and ideas by taking actions to flatten the organization and develop leaner business processes. Culture change means we will do things differently. Often people think that means everyone other than them. In reality, it means all of us taking a new approach and working together to make Microsoft better. To this end, I've asked each member of the Senior Leadership Team to evaluate opportunities to advance their innovation processes and simplify their operations and how they work
actually happens it will mean a lot of resumes with "10 years of .NET and project management" on them floating around

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

metro tiles are a bad idea that they're going to cling to all the way down

they're not even that good of an idea on a phone, it's just widgets in a grid

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fabricated posted:

which is literally all anyone really wanted but how do you market THAT with half a billion dollars?
I think the win 95 launch broke their brains and they've been trying to recapture that ever since even though most of their customers don't want a reinvented computer experience every 3-5 years

you can make shitloads of money without ever being cool or exciting but marketers gotta market so if you hire literally tens of thousands of them this is going to happen

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flat design is more difficult to do well because you can't depend on the contextual cues that you used to and laffo if you think microsoft can ever make it not terrible, apple's been struggling with the same problem for 2 years now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

glance info only works if the data is glanceable and most isn't

weather: sure
missed call: maybe
text: only if it's short
your next meeting: only if the name is short
email: a loving joke every time I've seen it used IRL it's like 3 lines of RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:project status

so it's really good for weather and bad for literally everything else

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they shitcanned the guy who gave us the gift of metro. they backtracked after they canned him

strangely the 20 levels of managers including ballmer who pinned their whole company's future on it seem to still be around

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

http://www.zdnet.com/beyond-12500-former-nokia-employees-who-else-is-microsoft-laying-off-7000031726/

quote:

Under the new structure, a number of Windows engineers, primarily dedicated testers, will no longer be needed. (I don't know exactly how many testers will be layed off, but hearing it could be a "good chunk," from sources close to the company.) Instead, program managers and development engineers will be taking on new responsibilities, such as testing hypotheses. The goal is to make the OS team work more like lean startups than a more regimented and plodding one adhering two- to three-year planning, development, testing cycles.
hahahaha PM bloat remains and they're getting rid of dedicated testing, what could possibly go wrong?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most places I've worked have one product manager per application or initiative and a bunch of biz people supporting them, windows apparently has individual feature-specific product managers who roll up under program managers that are grouped kind of however they happen to be

duTrieux. posted:

no joke, i recently had a contract with microsoft terminated. the contract was for asset testing and quality control, and goddrat did they need it. that contract was killed about a week or two ago by the new PM in order to save on operational expenses.
this reminds me that contractor reductions don't need to be reported like FTE layoffs do

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we had this contractor who used to work for adobe and almost every time I talked to him there was some sort of
"hey flex/air does this it's really cool and would save us tons of time and money"
"does it work with screen readers yet?"
"well, some of them"

is it really that hard for people to switch their thinking?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I hope you have had a chance to read today’s mails from Satya. I wanted to take a moment to share a few thoughts on what this means for our team and some of the changes we are making as a result.

In last week’s mail outlining some of the steps towards creating the culture and organization to bring our ambitions to life, Satya called out the strategic importance of Xbox as a strong consumer brand, a creative center for gaming and a leader in bold innovation. Every member of Team Xbox should be incredibly proud of the impact and reach your work has within the walls of Microsoft, with our developer community and most importantly, with consumers.

Microsoft is the productivity and platform company for a mobile-first and cloud-first world, and games are the single biggest digital life category in a mobile-first world. Success in this category, by growing a robust Xbox business, brings additional value to Microsoft. I have stated this before, but for Xbox to be successful, we must remain committed to being a consumer-driven organization with the mission of meeting the high expectations of a passionate fan base, to create the best games and to drive technical innovation.

As part of the planned reduction to our overall workforce announced today and in light of our organization’s mission, we plan to streamline a handful of portfolio and engineering development efforts across Xbox. One such plan is that, in the coming months, we expect to close Xbox Entertainment Studios. I would like to take this opportunity to recognize the accomplishments from the entire team in XES. They have built an impressive slate of original programming and pioneered interactive entertainment on Xbox, such as the innovative reality series ‘Every Street United’ that succeeded in uniting audiences around the globe during the recent World Cup. I am pleased that Nancy, Jordan and members of the XES team remain committed to new, original programming already in production like the upcoming documentary series ‘Signal to Noise’ whose first installment takes on the rise and fall of gaming icon Atari and of course, the upcoming game franchise series ‘Halo: Nightfall,’ and the ‘Halo’ Television series which will continue as planned with 343 Industries. Xbox will continue to support and deliver interactive sports content like ‘NFL on Xbox,’ and we will continue to enhance our entertainment offering on console by innovating the TV experience through the monthly console updates. Additionally, our app partnerships with world-class content providers bringing entertainment, sports and TV content to Xbox customers around the world are not impacted by this organizational change in any way and remain an important component of our Xbox strategy.

Change is never easy, but I believe the changes announced today help us better align with our long-term goals. We have an incredible opportunity ahead of us to define what the next generation of gaming looks like for the growing Xbox community. I have a great deal of confidence in this team and know that with clarity of focus on our mission and our customers we can accomplish great things together. We already have.

Thank you again for all you do for Xbox.

Phil

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quantum break is the new remedy game and it depended on a big FMV production

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lysidas posted:

how does "designing xbone as an advertisement machine first and foremost" fit in with "being consumer-driven"

that still registers as a contradiction to me but then again i dont have a MBA

p sure the current xbox management team is just cleaning up after the mess that mattrick, etc. left them

the hardware specs and software direction were probably 95% fixed 3 years ago

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wow, mini microsoft comment thread getting way turbo racist

e: check this:

quote:

Also, I want to second the person who mentioned earlier that we were fed a bunch of bullshit about "flattening the hierarchy" and then watched as they laid off nothing but SDET ICs and build engineers. I literally have not heard of a single lead losing their job without all their ICs also being let go. Read that again: We somehow managed to create fewer layers of management without laying off a single manager. Satya is a magician.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 18, 2014

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the official MS plan seems to be that the dev leads and PMs will write test scripts/requirements and do the testing themselves

what could possibly go wrong?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

prefect posted:

this is also what is being done where i work. i think they really want to be like the people you read blog articles about

yeah but when you have like 800 million customers that don't work so good

our QA/test gets a lot of poo poo here and they're kind of a pain to work with but we literally cannot ship broken stuff and they're good at finding it as inefficient as they are

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"sold in" on the xbox means shipped to retailers and is combined xbone and 360 so MS has still shipped fewer than 6 million bones

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we have a 12 month limit on contractors and 12 months before we can hire them back unless they're there on the budget of a specific project and it sucks, we have to let good people go constantly and it takes months to get new folks up to speed

we got a 6 month extension for my minion but I'm going to be bummed when she's gone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rename this thread to Microsoft is Bad Enterprise Edition and the other one to Microsoft is Bad Home Premium

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Alzabo posted:

This is but a single cause in the "reasons MS hosed up" list.

Being a v- could be pretty sweet depending on several factors. 100k salary via your agency and no real responsibility to deliver because you are a vendor. . .

[edit] plus a statement of work for the v- position means the money train goes on and on for years.

no the really sweet gig is supplying contractors to MS, billing them at $100/hour and giving the employees 50

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

microsoft is insane not to have had a standing program where they would 100% fund the development of windows phone apps for any/all gadgets, accessories, services, whatever

how many apps could they have funded with the money they spent on that ad where a guy drops his phone in a urinal

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

whatever guy invented the 7 figure severance package [even if you're fired for gross incompetence] must have his portrait up in every business school across america

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we use lync and it's ok but we don't use any of the audio/video features, just chat and screen sharing

we've been piloting zoom because it works on ipads and macs but it's p bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bart cars look nothing like that, immersion ruined

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

prolly still mad about dropping xp support

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bet they have some kind of enterprise-wide brand rules for what constitutes a point release versus an update

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at some point they'll adopt the chrome update numbering then we'll have Windows 47 by 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ipad excel now has pivot tables, windows tablets doomed forever

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

office 2015:
  • default paste behavior is "without formatting"
  • outlook "this occurrence or whole series?" dialog only appears after trying to edit a meeting
  • powerpoint has a presentation view with thumbnails on the side
  • selecting text only picks up what your mouse actually touched
  • excel never assumes a data type
there microsoft I made you billions of dollars I will come work for your stupid company but only if you bring me in as a partner

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the ribbon is legit good and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot

i dont miss the toolbar soup not one bit

the ribbon is exactly as efficient as toolbars and menus but it introduced a huge switching cost so basically everyone had to re-learn the whole UI for no benefit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

nah it's actually much quicker than mousing over a loving nested toolbar menus

real pros were using keyboard shortcuts, if u bitched about menus changing u were a gui scrub

actually research funded by microsoft has shown it to be exactly as efficient as the old system

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

except that after 2003 or so how many "new people" were there who were encountering office for the first time? especially compared to the number of people who had to re-learn all their workflow processes when it changed

seems more like change for the sake of change and a reason to keep a 100 person ux team employed for three years

supposedly the primary motivator behind it was that they'd been getting feature requests for stuff office already did

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

engage full-on desperation mode

quote:

Gamescom is just days away, and Microsoft could be using the German expo as a platform to announce another Xbox One price cut.
At the time of writing, the mobile version of the Spanish Xbox One site shows the console listed with a new price of €349.99 for the sans-Kinect version, down from €399.
That's a significant slash, making Xbox One €50 cheaper than the PS4's current price.
While it's only showing on the Spanish site right now, it's possible that it'll be a global price cut, possibly bringing the Xbox one down to £300/$350 if it's going to undercut the PS4 in other regions. Or it may just be European-wide for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

holy lol if they drop it $50 again i can't wait to see the xbox faithful explode demanding they get a price adjustment, free game, or whatever

anyone should know that buying a launch console is a terrible idea

• Locked thread