Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Most of the research areas in Medicine/Science at the uni I work at are like 90% Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And nearly 3/4th of undergrads have some Apple hardware of some sort, be it a MB Air or iOS device.

Almost feel sorry for the poor students who are too poor for Apple hardware and have to use a HP or ewww, Acer.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

max4me posted:

no it was 256 I later got another set 128 off of ebay when RD ram didnt make it.

Then that would be 384MB RAM, not 512

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

uncurable mlady posted:

where the gently caress is office for Mac 2014

where is it

where

Is there any really blinding need to move from Office 2011 other than the year in its title?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

i can't stand mail.app. always been a thunderbird user for imap stuff at work.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Scott Forstall posted:

they reversed their decision in the most lol way possible

wait, there are people still using Windows Phone 7 for Phones? Well I mean enough of them to get upset?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mod sassinator posted:

Good news! The PC industry didn't decline in the back to school season: http://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/apple-and-chrome-boost-us-retail-pc-back-to-school-sales/

Wow, that's almost a worse outcome than just the entire industry shrinking. Things are growing and Microsoft totally missed the boat. Not a good time to be a MS shareholder.

It hasn't been a good time to be a MS Shareholder since Win XP came out.

Infact that would've been a good time to sell shares in MS and buy Apple shares.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wow, I haven't heard that name used for years. I still remember Thresh's Firing Squad

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And just there Shaggar's nightmare comes true

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Last Chance posted:

i remember around win 2k era you could install two windows versions on the same partition?
I think you could if you could rename your Windows folder during installation (what some people did, as most viruses/malware looked for c:\windows). I don't think you have been able to do that since Windows Vista

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PleasureKevin posted:

Over the coming weeks, we’re updating Office apps so that they work with Dropbox, too. With the next updates to Word, Excel and PowerPoint on iPhone, iPad and Android Phone you’ll be able to connect to your Dropbox account, so you can access, edit and share your Dropbox files right from your Office apps. Once you’ve added your Dropbox account to Word, Excel or PowerPoint, you can navigate folders and files on Dropbox for viewing and editing in the native Office apps. And accessing Word, PowerPoint and Excel from your Dropbox app is just as easy. Navigate to the file you want, and the Dropbox app will open the Office app you need.

why do they do this?

like what executive, and when, did they decide to use this style of writing? like consciously decide to buck all business communication and english conventions?

Oh cool lets save documents on a cloud service that has a history of being hacked

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

theadder posted:

i use filevault op

don't use hard drive encryption on a personal (non work) machine, it is stupid. dealing with a Mac which has File Vault on it and got broken as gently caress when the client upgraded her OSX

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

theadder posted:

was this 1 or 2

2, mac was running 10.8, they tried to upgrade to 10.10

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Number19 posted:

thanks

i was waiting for a retina macbook air but a 13" rMBP will suit my needs very well

I don't know where people get the idea that Apple will release a MacBook Air with Retina. It would steal so many sales from the 13" MB Pro Retina it would make no sense. The Air is Apple's low end laptop

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

theadder posted:

this is quite a lot of wrong to be op
At the moment it is right. Probably once Retina displays drop down in price, but not quality it may happen, but at the moment Apple doesn't want to make the Air similar in price or spec as the rMBP 13"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

pram posted:

a blade server where the blades are tablets

or they are actually blades

cutting edge technology

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Shaggar posted:

I am very excited for the next update to windows 10 technical preview. its gonna be great

Come on Shaggar, you are really grasping at straws now

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

qirex posted:

I was a babby cj during the windows 3.1 era, it was rly bad

Trumpet Winsock

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

graph posted:

haha

rip lunixarchduke, run out of the forums for being a windows phone 7 for windows 7 phones dev

he didn't get run out, he just left. out of the goons who have left the POS, I do miss lad and his Windows 7 Phone for Phones stories

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Office 2016 failed to install on my OSX 10.10.3 Developer Preview Mac. GG Micro$haft

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Main Paineframe posted:

maybe try installing it on a real computer rather than a children's toy?

Yeah, I should have put it on my Mac Pro instead of the MacBook

lol can't get it to install on 10.10.2

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wootman posted:

They are better than ipads

oh god no they are not. I used a surface pro for the first time today at work and it was godawful

even an old Windows Mobile 5.x device would be better

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

U2's The Edge is going to sue Microsoft over the use of the word "Edge"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ElGroucho posted:

I'm starting to believe this thread might not have Windows fans at all!!!

We still have Shaggar: The Windows True Believer.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Neurolimal posted:

has a non-xbox microsoft product ever had a decent marketing campaign

that wasn't made by apple

I remmeber Windows 95 having a huge campaign and seemed to be popular.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

axolotl farmer posted:

hello Microsoft,

please give me a working version of rm -rf, asap.

put in a new ssd and move the old hd to the optical bay. reinstalled to get rid of cruft. some folders that used to be VERY IMPORTANT on the old hd still can't be deleted without clicking around and changing ownership and permissions for each goddamn folder.

booting a Linux from a thumbdrive solved all this. good job MS!

format <drive letter> /q

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

why is there a 32-bit version of windows 10

for poo poo lab software that still hasn't been upgraded to 32bit executables

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Shaggar posted:

what is ltsb?

LowTax's Son Bastard.

Oh wait.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol @ Office 2016 for Mac with its updates - each application has to be started to get its own individual update, there doesn't seem to be any global "MS Office" update for that version.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

computer parts posted:

there's a microsoft autoupdate app but maybe you only have it if you had office 2011 installed

anyway, it updates the preview at least just fine

There is a MAU in the usual spot, but still will only update each MS Office application individually. And the application in question has to be already opened :downsbravo:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hay guys get this:

WinBLOWS :xd:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Microsoft does something..... right?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

pram posted:

im not saying spotlight isnt good

I never really liked Launchpad or Dashboard

However starting to warm to Spotlight, but so used to using Cmd+Shift+A in Finder

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Management posted:

I had a badass gravis for playing tie fighter and wing commander.

I had the Thrustmaster (teehee) FlightStick Pro for those games. Thing was built like a tank. Still would use it if it wasn't for the 15 pin MIDI connector

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol windows

group policy is basically three thousand knobs you should never touch. naturally if a knob exists, the fedora wearing jerkoffs who work in IT departments want to twist it.

result: nothing ever loving works, ever

especially when they get the bright idea of pushing Bitlocker out to all desktops and laptops

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

qirex posted:

pretty sure my work is just going to use 2010 forever

My workplace forced all Windows users from 2010 to 2013

It trashed so many Access databases

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

what is it with Microsoft and using memes or catchphrases that are at least 5 years old?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Space-Pope posted:

imagine the nightmarish hellscape that is years of meetings and focus group testing to determine whether or not to reference an internet image

remember that Bill Gates had to bring out a second edition of his book "The Road Ahead" because he completely ignored the Internet

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Amethyst posted:

everything I hear about that book/movie is incredibly gauche

It's a very good movie, but hey sorry you didn't enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Endless Mike posted: