Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Last Chance posted:

this reminds me of when my high school bought emacs in 2005
congrats on your school for buying not only the last crt all-in-ones ever made but buying powerpc mere months before the intel transition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Wheany posted:

how in the gently caress?
they must have a lot of panels left over from the netbook era

i actually miss netbooks, they were sturdier and had more actual functionality that i care about than this transformer tablet garbage

you could actually make a pretty nice netbook these days if you used a non-poo poo panel and the new out-of-order atom, too bad that ship has sailed

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

lol if somebody can actually prove intent here then that's a felony under the CFAA
has anyone ever been charged much less convicted for this kind of behavior (no)

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

we had the macy's parade on the television today, and there was an ad for the suface 3 where they compared it to a macbook pro?????? wtf i thought the surface was a tablet but now they say its a full blown laptop?? hosed up.

also a uh promo or whatever came on for the sportsball and they surfaces were all propped up on stands that said MICROSOFT SURFACE on them. lol.

those ads have been playing relentlessly and they're pretty lol

Slow-Scan Shep fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 28, 2014

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

didn't frys used to be a restaurant at some point in prehistory

i also hear they had a short-lived sporting goods branch

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol i wonder if this guy is still clinging to his commodore 64 today

edit: aw poo poo seems he died in 2009 :(

i've heard of that guy, i never met him but through a friend wound up working on one of his computers. sadly i couldn't get it fixed in time

it was an amiga 4000 that had been shoved into a bigger aftermarket tower case, presumably as part of some zany video toaster setup that never happened. thing had dust and smoke residue like you wouldn't believe. also cap rot.

all of the hard drives had completely seized up, so there was no poking through his personal crap even if i wanted to

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the best part is that these things are hilariously unreliable

you could count on losing your files every 3 to 6 months
i think i've worked on something like 3 or 4 nextcubes at this point and i have not found a single working MO drive in any one of them

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Microsoft Titanic Status: this is no longer needs suiting.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

serious post: stock up on Windows 7 OEM keys

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Phoenixan posted:

becoming one of those hardcore amiga fans who cling to amiga os and try to make it work in the modern world at any cost

except windows 7
what would such a person's fursona be

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

i miss netbooks

i keep hoping they'll accidentally ship an x86 chromebook with an upgradeable ssd and ram and the out-of-order atom (which is called something else now lol) and that can be the new netbook, but so far no dice

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

they were real computers that did real computer things (albeit shittily) in a package barely bigger than a game gear

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

gently caress soldered ram forever and ever

gently caress soldered ssds even harder

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

that actually looks pretty needs-suiting

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

what's really amazing is the 5 1/4 icon

like the 3.5 icon is perfectly understandable because usb floppy drives exist, but to my knowledge no motherboard since the last abit p4 boards has supported two drives, and no board since the early c2d times even has an onboard controller anymore

i'm pretty sure that no system that can talk to a 5.25 drive can run windows 10, unless they've decided to add in native kryoflux/supercard pro/fc5025 drivers

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Snapchat A Titty posted:

those icons look like what youd scroll past while looking at kaleidoscope themes in 1998
i object, kaleidoscope themes were way cooler

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

eschaton posted:

more

Mac portables got trackpads in 1994 with the release of the PowerBook 520 and they've been awesome ever since

i legit miss laptop trackballs in spite of everything

Slow-Scan Shep fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

valve being purchased is basically the only way hl3 is ever happening

• Locked thread