Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

someone with the wherewithal to request a mac is someone who probably isn't going to poo poo up my bin with cat pictures and plants_vs_zombies.exe.pif and repeated demands for help with a "broken internet thing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Squinty Applebottom posted:

They should be using change control processes + SCCM

yeah, anyone who actually allows workstations to update themselves via windows update needs to tender his resignation by eating a box of loose magnets

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

everything about rambus was hilarious

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

to upgrade windows 8.1 to windows 8.1.11u3.2044, you must first format your hard drive

click here to continue

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

rd ram was stupid (mostly because of the licensing cost because the rambus consortium is dumb as heck) but if I remember right dual-channel sdram chipsets came out soon after and it made the memory bandwidth problems moot

not needing crimms was pretty awesome

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

my job is to tell them they're out of compliance and recommend steps to avoid those issues, if they ignore it it's their problem. i ain't going to rat them out

that's my job

you don't want it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

you mean like Windows Home Server? they did that with at least 5 hardware partners already. i believe i remember commercials for it too. anyway, it's dead now.

but really? a personal cloud? what's the value prop here? the ROI?

nil

the selling point is "your own personal cloud at home", and it'll show someone on a Microsoft Surface RT and someone on a Windows 8 Laptop Product working side by each on a spreadsheet in the livingroom while a small dog bounces at their feet

idiots will see it and say "yes i like cloud storage and i like being at home"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

if only there was some way to bring the existing cloud into the home... ?

is it as much fun to "be your own cloud" as it is to "be your own bank"? weird that it takes less GPUs to run your own loving cloud...

Now YOU control the cloud

Not sure about the security and sharing options? Confused by the policy on data retention? Unsure about uploading your data to a server you can't actually see? No problem. Your Microsoft HomeCloud Server RT system belongs* to you, so you decide where your information goes and when.

Local Cloud Means Fast

Uploading content to any cloud sevice relies on the upload speed limits of your residential Internet connection, which are usually measured in tens of megabits per second and can fluctuate due to circumstances beyond your control. Transferring files to and from your Microsoft HomeCloud Server RT moves at lightning speed through your home, at speeds approaching 10,000 megabits per second.

Local Cloud Means Free

Your residential Internet connection may limit the amount of information you can transfer in a month, and even a modest cloud storage account can run you over this limit and incur heavy fees from your provider. Moving your files, music and media to or from your Microsoft HomeCloud Server RT system is absolutely 100% free to you**.

Local Cloud Means Secure

Microsoft Cloud Storage (TM) is secured with the best technology available, but there is still a small possibility that your passwords could be stolen by other insecure programs on your computer and used to access your data on our severs without your knowledge. Your Microsoft HomeCloud Server RT System sits safely inside your home, inaccessible to the Internet*** and secure**** from threats in a way that Internet-based services just can't allow.

i can do this all day

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

six flags man, just back from greenfest, stops to learn more about how to kill a marketing campaign

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

tell a friend your weight watcher's success story and win matching cameras so you can document each other's progress as an inspiration

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

tell me it plays that rolling stones song

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

has anyone said

windows 7 also had a challenger mindset

yet

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

not american and born after the disaster but before reverse image search

then again we have indian folks naming things adolf hitler so

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lol if you're on the xbox team

this

also ms just stop the phone thing is not going to happen for you

if your business model says "one day we'll be as successful as android" on it just set it on fire then eat it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

thing is metro can almost work. minus metro apps, or have desktop/metro as one with a button to switch?

the start button does this now kind of but yeah the two interfaces either need to be unified or reduced to one in a mostly-irrevocable gently caress you kind of way, like what windows 95 did to the cli

babby clown no-feature garbage UIs work great on the phones that inspired metro ui but on the desktop there is literally zero reason for it, just like there's no reason for a metro program to monopolize the entire screen when i launch it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Americans don't want small Windows tablets, says largest PC maker

homer tell the nice man which country you come from

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

winphoneface.png

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

something sexist and horrible was written here

stop stealing my posts then

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

is he related to bill "say no to drugs" sessions

i liked playing shameful video games with his helpful message on them

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

25 skus = 1 thread

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

qirex posted:

rename this thread to Microsoft is Bad Enterprise Edition and the other one to Microsoft is Bad Home Premium

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"let's repackage the same old game, tweak the graphics slightly, add a map pack and release it"

neat how you can say that and still not be sure whether you're talking about halo 5 or master chief collection yet

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

*bing*bing*bing*bing*bing* it's the shaggar signal *bing*bing*bing*bing*bing*

hey look a bing that finds things

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sniep posted:

it's not that microsoft has any real relevant level of excellence or even competence with bing

it's that google keeps making GBS threads up their results worse and worse and worse and bing is relatively unfiltered

in all seriousness, this

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

qirex posted:

[*]default paste behavior is "without formatting"

i'd settle for "not halting the entire system for twenty seconds to paste text i copied from a web page", that'd be nice

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

before you install this update you must update windows updater
click here to install the windows updater update download module
would you like to set bing as your default search bar and install microsoft windows desktop search
this version of desktop search requires an updated version of windows updater download module
50 goto 20

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

no but we will get to see them pawing as the screen with increasing frustration as their sweaty hands fail to register on the digitizer

i wonder how many will be literally thrown out of frustration

opens the door to sponsor-branded styluses

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

this turd that sucks called the performance mx

a truer word shall not be written this day

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

once every 5 years logitech should sell a good mouse for a month so u can replenish your strategic mouse reserves. it'd be a marketing/sales coup like the disney vault

find the shittiest, slowest-moving set of speakers in the catalogue

package them with mx518s

hey where'd all this factory shelf space come from

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

great now i can accidentally open the start menu on my way to accidentally opening the charms bar

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

prefect posted:

it didn't until you said that. now the blue thing looks like an armband

can't unsee the nazi mouse armband

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

lol if you go into someone else's cube and touch their crusty mouse

i'll just write down your username, find you in AD and rdp in tyvm

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

carry on then posted:

lol i wonder how those keyboards are doing wrt failing screens

it's been what, 6 years since they came out?

let's find somebody who bought one and ask...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

oh okay, i misunderstood. because that would be crazy

a reasonable assumption all the same

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

theadder posted:

i dont rly care for logitech hopin for bankruptcy

one more round of webtv oughta do it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

gamestop: we'd rather have 58 copies of NHL 06 than an xbone

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Internet Messenger.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Management posted:

Surface IntelliKin XBrowse One 8.1 update 1 with Active Bing.net

mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Management posted:

2) Microsoft Flow - we were pretty sure we used this one already but a Google search revealed nothing. anyway, we don't think the urban feel works in a business environment. we mocked up a cover of CTO magazine with it and we just can't make it work with a white guy in a suit.

clean out your desk

• Locked thread