Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

for the record office document compatibility across platforms is actually pretty good and is a pillar of microsoft's office messaging strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sudo Echo posted:

why is time.windows.com always 4-6 minutes behind

you're surprised at microsoft constantly trying to catch up to the rest of the world?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pram posted:

time to get a watch!!

what have you done

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

if they're mobile first, cloud first and all about productivity, how does the xbox fit?

remember how xbox is now "in the cloud"?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

for real though this isn't a change in anything other than the messaging. "mobile" equates to "devices" because the former depends entirely on the latter, while "cloud" translates to "services" becaus ewhat the gently caress else do you use a cloud for?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

e: aaaaaaaaaaand thought better of it

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 11, 2014

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i think that microsoft has an opening right now that they could exploit to sell appliance-like home servers as a platform-agnostic "personal cloud", which would let them get windows in there as the glue that binds disparate services and ecosystems together, but they're not smart enough to execute

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

you mean like Windows Home Server? they did that with at least 5 hardware partners already. i believe i remember commercials for it too. anyway, it's dead now.

but really? a personal cloud? what's the value prop here? the ROI?

qirex posted:

yeah they already tried this and it was a disaster because they were so afraid that small businesses would buy them instead of SBS they were completely hobbled then had features removed through updates, etc.

i'll write up what i think could be a working strat later (emphasis on personal video and photo backup, privacy, etc. in a device that's boiled to the essentials with an appliance-like shell) i am definitely aware that thet've tried and hosed it up.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

whenever you're home any photos and video you've taken are quietly backed and, optionally, removed from the device. great for people with cheaper phones that have less storage. automatically pool and sort photos and poo poo across platforms. link branding to onedrive.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it would need to be a low-end device, not a full server solution. if the word "server" ever enters into the equation then it's all hosed up

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

know what's even faster, more secure and cheaper? a USB drive.

It's like a USB drive that you can never lose!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

Bold Ambition & Our Core

To: All Employees
Date: July 10, 2014 at 6:00 a.m. PT
Subject: Starting FY15 - Bold Ambition & Our Core
Team,

for some strange reason i'm not at all concerned about these crazy people not renewing their contract with me for fy15

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

the messaging is stupid. cloud and mobile cant both be first

one thing at a time, let's not go crazy here

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

microsoft's messaging department is basically just surgeon simulator 2013 but with a word processor instead of a human body

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Win8: Slightly better!

Win8: Not changed enough to scare you!

Win8: Still runs office! :ins:

those are all pretty good reasons to buy this hypothetical windows 8

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

used a Lenovo idea pad for a bit. worked ok. much better trackpad than x1 carbon and yoga. Edge doesn't catch on your finger or fly around when you just want to click.

the x1 touchpad is okay once you do some configuration and turn off bullshit gestures and poo poo

or just use an external mouse

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

they're going to gut Nokia so the tears will be mostly in Finland. they will reorg the North America operations but I don't see a bloodbath except in some obscure divisions.

the marketing guys are going to be hosed

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

http://www.zdnet.com/beyond-12500-former-nokia-employees-who-else-is-microsoft-laying-off-7000031726/
hahahaha PM bloat remains and they're getting rid of dedicated testing, what could possibly go wrong?

no joke, i recently had a contract with microsoft terminated. the contract was for asset testing and quality control, and goddrat did they need it. that contract was killed about a week or two ago by the new PM in order to save on operational expenses.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

this reminds me that contractor reductions don't need to be reported like FTE layoffs do

the key euphemism is "Microsoft contingent staff"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

G-III posted:

Jesus Christ, Stephen Elop is a motherfucker.

lol if you think he was the only one involved in writing that

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

when microsoft does something that makes no sense and you want to know why the answer is probably some variant of "they don't know either"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

http://apple.com/jobs

amazing yosposters plz apply tia

thx op

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

e: deleted

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

homo punching bag posted:

lmao i seen u do this before why do u post then go back and decide 'no. no post. not for u'

???????????

eh, i no longer have a contract with ms but i'll give it a little more time before burning any bridges

basically, project managers, amirite‽

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Base Emitter posted:

gonna lol when some data center falls over and catches fire when some obscure v-dash nobody knew about takes his finger out of the dike for his six month furlough.

already happening.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

microsoft is insane not to have had a standing program where they would 100% fund the development of windows phone apps for any/all gadgets, accessories, services, whatever

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it would be cheap too. have a few engineers and a pm dedicated to working with third-parties on basic control apps. 3p kicks over api/whatever and some visual assets, microsoft pays for all labor costs

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the problem is that 3rd parties don't want to support windows phone. they just don't want the hassle.

for a while wasn't microsoft publishing un-licensed apps for 3rd party services w/ 3rd party trademarks?

okay, how about microsoft just pays to use the android version of the control app so their coders can put something together and support it themselves.

this is a situation that could have been fixed with judicious application of large amounts of money and they didn't do it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Metrication posted:

don't forget the kin, 2 years, 1 billion usd and it was pulled from the market after being on sale for 2 months

when it was pulled from the market there was an update which was being held up by the carriers. that update would have added, among other things, a calendar.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

I'm fairly certain this is false

it is. most wp7 apps worked just fine. there were sometimes issues, and to take advantage of new features the developers had to do some things differently

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

yeah it's racist

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Berkshire Hunts posted:

no more racist than lizardlips & sillyballs imo

nope, sry.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

I concur with this analysis. there is no racial component to Nutella, it is simply making fun of the guy's name.

yeah, no.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Windows Phone 8.1 with Update 1.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

from the comments:

quote:

markuslaff on Jul 31, 2014
This is huge!

There are a very large number of people who use iPhones and such like they used to use computers. They don't use apps (at least not many) and browse the web to get to the sites they use.

This was just one other hurdle holding Windows Phone back as part of an "App Gap" or at least an "Experience Gap". Hopefully it works as described.

iphone uses don't use apps. you heard if here first

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

seriously why are they doing this

"hmm 8.1.1 or 8.2 would make too much sense"

they released windows 8.1 as a full os and not an update or patch, so the abse os receiving updates isn't windows 8. it's windows 8.1.

repeat. windows 8 and windows 8.1 are, within microsoft, treated as distinct operating systems, with 8.1 not being a simple upgrade of 8.

then they carried the naming chaos through to windows phone ebcause gently caress it, brand unity at all costs

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

yeah there is a mobile cloud of stinky gas that follows microsoft wherever it goes lmbo

lol it's funny because of farts

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

office 2010 for windows is the best office

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

office for mac is an entirely different codebase, and i'm honestly surprised that there weren't sub-silos that kept office for mac out of the office 365 bundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

holy gently caress. are they still not unifying it for office 365 releases?

why on earth are they doing staggered versions that are all tied to the same could service? what the gently caress is wrong with microsoft?

Frequently asked questions

Can I install Office 365 Home on my Mac?

The applications available for Mac users and the version numbers may be different from those available for PC users. If you have an active Office 365 Home, Office 365 Personal, or Office 365 University subscription, and available installs, you can install Office on your Mac, which includes the Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook applications. OneNote for Mac is available as a separate download from the Mac App Store. The Publisher and Access applications are not available for Mac.

Current Office application versions for Office 365 are Office 2013 for Windows and Office 2011 for Mac. Customers with an active subscription will be entitled to the newest versions when available.

• Locked thread