Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The gently caress

https://twitter.com/microsoftcanada/status/842838502358171648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

oh, so that's what samsung's doing with the refurbished notes 7

all the billion-dollar losses under one roof

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

they have a cross-platform buy system where you can buy a game on the microsoft app store for windows and play the game on your xbone which sounds like a nice gimmick

welcome to 2011 i guess?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

cool thanks for the broken tinypic url, what's it like in 2011 by the way

nice response you started writing after i fixed it

EDIT and then edited your post to hide this fact :ninja:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

do you even get anything on it that is not a call of duty or candy crush farm saga

Only like a half-dozen or so other titles, mostly but not exclusively Microsoft first-party stuff.

Also fun: their version of Call of Duty can only play online with other people who bought the Windows 10 UWP version, and cannot play with people who bought the game on Steam or anywhere else.

That's a picture from launch day, and no the servers weren't down

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

xbl just worked

It's been way less stable since 2013 and has had a lot of outages, which is great since Netflix and even playing dvd's and blu-ray's require xbl connectivity

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

in case anyone is confused, all of the modern consoles are bad, MS just happens to make the worst of the bunch.

This is correct. Sony discontinued the only good console.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Happy national tea day, Paul

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hifi posted:

they could just upsample too, isnt that what the quadruple pro does

edit: or just run it at the native resolution, a bunch of games run at 540p or whatever. maybe that debacle was 360 only though

On PS4 Pro, and it seems likely on the next Xbox as well, a game has to be explicitly patched to benefit significantly. For games without this benefit it's possible to run them in "boost mode", which doesn't actually override any of the game's programming or hard limits, but for situations where things like dynamic resolution are employed or frame rate drops are a thing, these are dealt with, so a game on PS4 which would shift its resolution between 900p and 1080p depending on the on-screen activity will basically stay at 1080p fully now, and games which would run between 20 and 30 fps would basically stay at 30fps. But a game which was hard-coded to run at 900p all the time would still only run at 900p.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

afaik, Microsoft has claimed that Xbox One games require zero modification to look and run better on a Project Scorpio

but I have paid zero attention to this and they're probably lying anyway

it is theoretically possible though, assuming they designed the API correctly and wrote and enforced the TCRs for it

Apparently they may be able to force 16x AF but that's as far as it'll likely go other than what I said, no magical 4K-ness without a game getting a patch.

The problem with console games is that they're essentially programmed explicitly to work on only one type of hardware (or close to that, at least) and really weird things happen if you go outside of those restrictions, and this goes back to the NES, like some games relied on laggy sections to load upcoming content and if you bypass the lag you can cross a point before assets are loaded and cause a softlock if the game doesn't have a fallback programmed in, and you have games where physics are explicitly tied to the framerate cap (a lot of games with 30fps caps on PC are because of this and like Dark Souls 1 gets hosed-up collision detection if you go past 30fps so you can fall through ladders and poo poo like that), and a few PC games with 60fps framerate caps don't like running at the 144 Hz G-Sync.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

:shrug:

chromebooks mostly seem to come with 16gb of onboard storage, and the new ~$300 model acer announced for spring comes with 32gb
windows 10 s machines come with 64gb+

Windows 10 alone takes up well over 20 gigs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The_Franz posted:

can't be worse than those vista systems which shipped with 512 megs of ram

At least "fixing" these systems was usually extremely easy money.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

what impressed me the most out of that video was how relatively calm and steady the hands stayed thoughout the whole thing, i kept expecting them to start getting really violent/frustrated

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

gotta get those rewards points

not using bing is its own reward

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

windows 10 has a 4gb hard cap on vram for dx9 apps :thunk:

do win7 and 8 have more, or is that just a dx9 limitation?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

does anyone even have a realistic estimate how many essential things would be broken if the entire US govt got forced into win10 wholly tomorrow

one would hope they'd deploy enterprise ltsb at least

what windows are they on now? they upgraded from vista right?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dislike button posted:

xp-> 7 as of 2014 but this is probably agency dependent.

they are rolling out office 365 now and supposedly win 10

i feel like if they're working on 7 and don't need some pre-11 version of ie, they shouldn't have any issue with win 10 enterprise ltsb

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol @ not needing pre-11 ie

i have used accounting software that only worked in ie 8. not 7, not 9. just 8. and all it did was launch a javaws session. but without ie8, you couldn't get through the login process to retrieve the jnlp file for javaws.

a few years ago i worked for a bank that had just upgraded to windows 7...from windows 2000. a TON of their internal sites required ie 6. and xp mode was too slow/unpredictable so they instead made an ie6 deployable with vmware thinapp. and also still had ie8 on the win7 install because newer versions broke too much stuff.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dislike button posted:

why choose one or the other when you can have both?

that's certainly what this bank did

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

deck chairs?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

you're supposed to be using Windows 10 applications from the Windows Store by Microsoft, they can handle random restarts

incidentally, thurrott is going through an amusing saga rn because he bought adobe photoshop elements from the windows store for a win10s device and it crashes on boot, and because it's win10s there's basically nothing he can do to try and fix it

he even did a full reinstall of the laptop and it still crashes on launch

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

iirc it shipped with 98 but not 98se or ME right?

something like that, i remember in the early technet days there was a weird cap where you could still download really old versions of windows and also newer ones, but a handful in the "middle" were unavailable because of sun's lawsuit

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

LOL never mind. He went to a Microsoft store and tried to buy one but they told him their computers weren't set up correctly to sell it. What a poo poo show.

amazing, consistency between the windows app store and the microsoft store

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

i liked when he smashed it violently, and then it was immediately on the desk intact in the next shot

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

mac os doesnt get ntfs natively yet?

read yes, write no

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

dell just announced a rugged ‘tablet’ that comes preinstalled with windows 7

They managed to engineer a computer model precisely designed for government RFPs that’s going to own Panasonic’s Toughbook market.

ruggedized hardware and software

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

jony neuemonic posted:

ms throwing in the towel on qa is a real bummer, because despite the bugs win10 is still pretty good. i have to use 7 at work and it might as well be a reskinned win95, it's just so clunky.

i have to use windows 7 at work too but i'm no longer a computer toucher so it's totally fine

for most people's work computer usage, windows 10 doesn't actually give them anything over win7 other than the added risk of the computer force-rebooting

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

could God build a machine so powerful even a microsoft os won't lag on it?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im having flashbacks to all idiots with "custom" windows xp installations with "improved performance"

when i lived in japan way back when (this was like 2006-2007 somewhere) i consulted for a company whose owner i was teaching english, because a really stupid amount of stuff he had to work with (especially in terms of documentation) was english-only. among them was the official software used to generate windows xp embedded images, only in english and really not good "english isn't my first language" material. i told him about nlite; he couldn't use it for company purposes because it wasn't a formal supported-by-microsoft thing, but we discovered when you ran nlite on a japanese pc it would display everything bilingually, and well-translated into japanese at that. so he used nlite as a sort of english-to-japanese translator so he would know exactly what the xp embedded image creator's settings did

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

real talk: The person who made powershell should have been tarred and feathered

@BoiledWater are you a non-technical fellow or a child? it could be a good fit for you.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

a seaman not using an actual seaman controller smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I hope all our posts wind up exactly where we left them

• Locked thread