Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

graph posted:

can someone, anyone, please loving tell me how to bind an MBP to an AD domain so the password will work for 30 days not connected to the hardwire network

please for the love of god

er isn't that just the checkbox for 'create mobile account'

or does that not last 30 whole days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

thats an apple directory services feature for an osx client in an osx domain. the question is how to get the same thing to work for osx in a windows environment and the answer get MS to work on openldap

what i'm saying is

if i flick that checkbox on our mac build

it caches that user's login credentials like you would expect a windows laptop to do by default on our ms domain

that's how we preconfigure our mbps for the handful of people that have them

we don't have an os x server on this side of the firewall

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
pretty much

we gave our production guys a choice and half of them are transitioning to our windows workstations instead of loving around with the 'literally a macbook air' imacs or mac pros

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

graph posted:

yeah, it does that here, but we can't control the expiry date (or there's some CLI wizardry on some deep buried com.apple.plist somewhere)

ah I get you

the cache expiry is something we haven't really ended up caring about

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

homo punching bag posted:

so did those hadron nerds just bootcamp all their poo poo?? probably all running windows on those things.

I have to use OSX every day and it is super clunky to have to navigate or copy things from folder to folder with it. idk why aple cant make a interface button that goes UP one in the folder hierarchy. in windows its the lil folder w/green up arrow icon. real good button. use it all the time. the mac equivalent is a list of the whole heirarchy but it's like a web browser history so if u open up a really nested folder from a shortcut theres no good way to get to its parent since u didnt travel all the way there from ur desktop. garbage poo poo in tyool2014. does linux have this button?i bet

oh yeah my work switched us to google drive/office for our collaborative poo poo because office is expensive and one of my colleagues tried to email(gmail) me a .cmd file the other day with a bullshit "heres ur payment on dropbox" message and i bet he tricked a lot of people here with that sneaky trick lmao

in os x there's a hidden setting that puts the full path clickable on the bottom of the finder window which is probably as close as you can get

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

lol

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 8, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

not sure how they hosed that up so bad

i think you'll find that it is you who are doing it wrong

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

linear regressions are always supposed to be all crooked

just reboot, hold ⌘⌥PR down until it beeps twice, and the linear regression will fix itself with gay aversion therapy

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

yeah that's the other thing. they break random things every point release so you never ever upgrade unless theres a feature you want and you've gone through a month of regression testing

apple basically doesn't give a poo poo about any part of os x actually working or not

the fact that any part of it hangs together at all is no less than a miracle

we gave you x, y, and z as options, but only one of them will work at any given time, have fun figuring it out

i particularly liked the transition plan of simply not using .file metadata from one os x version to the next over smb shares, that's a loving landmine we're still standing on and I'm not about to lift the foot on it

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 8, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr Dog posted:

alright no trolling in the pos please are those actually the names of a thing

it's integrating an apple directory server into your ad domain, there's write-ups of it if you're interested

right now if you want to authenticate to ad network resources you're putting an additional entry into the keychain with your ad creds for every resource and that's retarded

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

graph posted:

magic triangle = an open directory server bound to active directory so you can use ad creds to login to clients, but are still able to push .mcx and profiles etc

we use casper for "mcx" settings

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

cremnob posted:

have u guys tried updating to the latest osx mavericks?

we did a few manually, but between our other long term projects we put casper9 and mavericks deployment on hold

the people who care about mavericks/yosemite will be getting new macs at the replacement cycle with yosemite soon enough anyway

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

lol their customers must be so delighted by yearly subscriptions for word processors and spreadsheets

microsoft's "customers" are already paying yearly subscriptions and have been for years and years I hope this helps

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my company employs over 1000 ppl and only last year upgraded from xp and office 2007 up to win7 and office 2010. so theyve been paying yearly subscriptions to MS for this privilege?

lmao

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
lmao

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
our oldest server is a vm running 2003 as our wsus :(

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

good lord. migrate that poo poo, it will run on anything with enough storage and migrating the config DB is trivial

we're killing it soon, everything is going to be 2012r2

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
we did some numbers and thin clients only start making sense if you have no regular hardware budget

lol if you're in that situation tho

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

your company deployed iMacs so that people could use them as Windows terminals through RDP when OSX still had the worlds worst RDP client

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

I went over to hp to see what their current thin client pricing is.

for $309 you can get a thin client with 2gb of ram, a comedy option via processor, and no os.
for $439 you get the same thing, but with windows embedded.
for $419 you can get a desktop with 2gb of ram, a real cpu, and windows 8 pro w/ downgrade rights to 7 (and a hdd, but who cares)

who buys thin clients? who is falling for that scam?

people who run afoul of salesmen trying to push massive rackfulls of servers and "enterprise grade" graphics cards

• Locked thread