Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

P4's up through Northwood were fine and AMD's chipsets where a shitheap but if you didn't jump ship once Prescott took a big runny dump on the world you were a sucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

"fine" is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about williamette p4s

did you prefer the rdram version that was horrendously expensive and worse than a high end pentium 3 or the sdram version that was worse than a mid range pentium 3?

I went P3 to Northwood to C2D I was pretty lucky for the generation jumps I was following when it was time to replace the motherboard

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i mean yeah you could build a fast P4 back then but you paid out the loving nose for the chip and especially the stupid RIMMs

rd ram was stupid (mostly because of the licensing cost because the rambus consortium is dumb as heck) but if I remember right dual-channel sdram chipsets came out soon after and it made the memory bandwidth problems moot

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my first computer ran at 12mhz, cost $2000, and came with a virus accidentally preinstalled by the manufacturer (packard bell lol)

was the virus DOS?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

api call girl posted:

microsoft's "customers" are already paying yearly subscriptions and have been for years and years I hope this helps

enterprise does but the small business space buys a single copy when they replaces the computer every 10 years and upgrades office then. the subscription model is a shakeup for them

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

can michaelsoft stop making their cloud services crash because its pretty much killed any chance of a 365 rollout here for a few years

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

i've been using 365 since the private beta and there have been two outages that i've noticed. one was microsoft completely loving up their internal dns

microsoft runs a few different cloud "tiers", some for education because of some requirements they have, some for business, some for public/free thing. they crashed the poo poo out of the education one about 3 weeks ago and it made a bunch of universities withdraw on their proposals to migrate

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol. enterprise tier 4 lyfe~

actually i'm on a small business plan that doesn't exist anymore, but whatever

the ed tier is pretty much the same as enterprise except higher ed is super cagey about their data being replicated on over-seas links and having their data stolen by government agencies so its US-only

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my company employs over 1000 ppl and only last year upgraded from xp and office 2007 up to win7 and office 2010. so theyve been paying yearly subscriptions to MS for this privilege?

they're probably paying for software assurance on the licenses so they could have upgraded at any point even though they didn't

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

AtomD posted:

gonna kill our last 3 2003r2s before the end of the year
hello new schema level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, I just got everything up to 2008r2 in time to start rolling out 2012r2. it never ends.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Siljmonster posted:

i dip my balls in ink first

give ya the old inky teabag

DOMINIC YOU RAT!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

being exiled to do some weird skunkworks poo poo because they're too chickenshit to actually fire you doesn't sounds like a horrible fate to be honest

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

what do you think your new divisions budget is going to look like in a year or two?

it'll be you and the intern huddled around a mister coffee for warmth by year three

Time to post post post

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sniep posted:

hey i am generally not a fan of microsoft's products but often i find bing to be superior over google imho

don't try to use bing! to find technet documents

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

wasn't UAC horribly broken by just changing the name of your executable and getting instant admin privileges?

the bug is with the default mode for UAC with Win7 is one notch above full (unlike vista which was full on/off). in the default mode, it keeps a list of common built-in apps and auto-elevates them without going through the prompt. UNFORTUNATELY, it does gently caress-all for check for code signatures and stupid poo poo like notepad.exe gets elevated so basically if you rename some malicious app to notepad.exe and run it under the userspace it will auto elevate and boom full system rights. its stupid as hell and microsoft has openly said they will not be fixing it because they are fuckers and if you're going to use UAC you should have the slider cranked all the way up

http://www.pretentiousname.com/misc/win7_uac_whitelist2.html

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 2, 2014

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

yeah I am honestly surprised that more malware isn't using it as a way to silently elevate to system. its probably easy for AV to pick up the elevation payload but my vendor only sees it as an optional "potentially unwanted application" detection so I'm sure lots are blind to it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

eschaton posted:

the problem is with the design of UAC in the first place, it hacks a ton of APIs to say"Do you want to let ___ do ___?" when not called by a process with the proper rights, when instead those APIs should return "go gently caress yourself" and make software developers rewrite their poo poo with proper separation of privileges (and stop writing their own goddamn installers when the OS provides one)

but no, gotta be compatible with shovelware from 1992, someone might care, so UAC it is! and if people are trained to just click through alerts as a side effect, well they should just pay more attention, because freedom!

no, read the article. its a problem with the auto-elevation feature. UAC on the whole cludgy as hell but it absolutely did complete its purpose of clubbing idiot "developers" over the head forcing them to write to the standards that MS has been publishing since they NT days. and despite what MS says, it is a security feature and a fairly good one at that when MS isn't busy sabotaging it. if they didn't "hack a ton of APIs" then vista and 7 would just be a continuation of the Everyone is Admin, Everything Runs as Admin fuckup that was XP and every other NT-based OS before it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

public school kids are horrendous with computers. I did that poo poo for a year out of high school and by the 3rd time I was picking a bologna sandwich out of the floppy drive of a shitpile compaq P133 I realized this wasn't a thing to do for your entire life

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm p.sure I saw our good friend paulie t hyping some $130 hp windows craplets on his twitter today or yesterday

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I had one of their tv's but it has some garbage skin tone correction that you couldn't turn off and it was always a frame or two behind so when you had someone face moving across the screen quickly there would be a red shadow following them gently caress their poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

theadder posted:

say more about this

nobody used floppies at that point so it only gets reported when the meat starts to stink but the heat and dry air sorta turns it in to a jerky sandwich so you have to break it up with a flathead and then pick it out with tweezers

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

listen I have a closet of bitcoin rigs pumping out heat over here

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my extra fatty recipe will involve smearing the meat with mayo first

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

univbee posted:

if you didn't already know destiny is a 100% playstation-exclusive in japan

despite this, imported us english-only copies of destiny for the xbox one are outselling sunset overdrive there

10 and 5 copies, respectively.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

destiny looks like semi-serious bonerlands and I'm ok with that

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hahahaha oh got they are going to unify everything in the worst possible way aren't they. here comes the x86 luminas

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Updating Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 (x86) Runtime for Apps...

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

qirex posted:

according to shaggar a simple xaml is all you need

you can get away with that for like, a fart keyboard app. but the second you have something that is computationally/memory expensive the whole idea falls on its face and you're writing a separate app for each platform

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

they made 2012r2 core installs not suck complete rear end, I'm guessing they've gotten to the point that they can whittle down the NT kernel to just enough that you need to run the guts of the phone and then put a non-explorer.exe gui on the top of that for a phone or tablet. but that assumes vision and competence and I bet they just hosed it up and are shoehorning the desktop OS in to mobile

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

what poo poo product is licensing by core instead of socket these days?

lol sorry about your poo poo amd processor, here's 25% off.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

it was such a huge gently caress You when vmware tried it with vram allocation. if you want to do it by the actual physical resources I have then fine by why the gently caress where they trying to make a cost penalty for over-provisioning VMs when thats the entire point of their product

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

gotta reg my edit. i am a power user (puser)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

MrMoo posted:

Is Powershell 2 there for backward compatibility because Microsoft, or nobody told them about Powershell 4 over 10 months ago?

all that stuff is for backwards compatibility, the PS4 (or maybe 5) will be the default

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

gotta get that XP Halloween Editio

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

one of the windows search updates from windows update put a searchbar on the taskbar in the bottom right next to the systray icons

yeah and the indexing was so terrible that it made your computer absolute unusable crap

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

lol bye oculus rift minecraft, no way in hell that's happening now

there's going to be kinect integration with teens all over the country swinging a virtual pickaxe with their arms in the living room like a dumbass and it is the best possible outcome for that game

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I bet it was worth 2.5bil to MS to fix the stupid JRE dependency of that poo poo game that is letting peoples computers get hacked

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Microsoft should move port minecraft to activex, imo

you're a real sick son of a bitch you know that?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

A Pinball Wizard posted:

as whiny as minecraft modders are i cant wait for the dramambombs when ms starts trying to get a handle on that poo poo

they'll require code signing on the mod files and the whole scene will implode because those people are morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Number19 posted:

I installed office 2013 on my workstation because someone should learn it in case there's ever a business need for it

outlook 2013 is actually decent

word and excel though? :stonk:

you immediately changed it to the dark grey theme, right?

• Locked thread