Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

je1 healthcare posted:

I dunno, scathing blogpieces about GDC parties seemed to peak around 2010. Every year there are 30 GDC afterparties hosted in nightclubs and twice as many upset headlines assuming that Mojang or Microsoft hired strippers, when in reality they're staples of whatever club they rented out for the night.

I mean MS couldn't be expected to know Big Al's House of Knockers would have lewd dancing an pick a different place for the party, right???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hey, it's the guy I brutally crushed with my precision posting so hard that he didn't come back for nearly a full day.

?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
oh. you were right tori my bad.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

there are two software companies called epic

what's the other one

e. lol literally the post above the one I quoted

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
everyone knows you just replace them all with an options button that when you click it lists every possible task you can do with that entity plus some unrelated ones

the only buttons you should have besides that are context-sensitive add, delete, forward and back buttons

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

e: this is photoshopped onto an ipad for some reason even though it is WINDOWS ONLY

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Corek posted:

I actually looked it up and the first GUI with those buttons was NeXTSTEP 0.8 so i guess we have stebe's skeuomorphism to thank again

http://toastytech.com/guis/ns08.html

that website looks like it was made in 2000 but there's a Dolan joke in there so i guess not

toastytech is awesome, guy still updates his website too (last update 2/28/16)

anthonypants posted:

that's what citrix was made for

couterpoint: citrix is poop

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

wow thanks everyone in the bathroom just heard my phone making circus music

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

qirex posted:

you're one of Those People who doesn't keep their phone on mute, you deserve it

ringer and media are separate sliders

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

poty posted:

im sure theyre used to it from every time you talk

lol if you talk in the bathroom

and by lol I mean gently caress you

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Snapchat A Titty posted:

poty: 3/10 (a page late)
pinball: 3/10 (several hours at least)

and the wording was poo poo on both.

weak putdown, weak comeback *flex*

you're docking me points for not being awake at 4:30 in the morning to respond to weak burns?

you should be docking me points for posting at 6:30 on a saturday if anything

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Snapchat A Titty posted:

burn was weak enough to let slide is what i meant to say

fair deuce

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Sharif don't like it

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

in other words, in an advanced menu

in other words, in the same exact place it's been since xp

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
all's I know is one of my company's products is basically a rdp session to a ts running my company's poorly aging fragile windows only software, and we constantly have people asking for us to allow ipads and phones to connect

(we do allow it but the software is barely usable on a real computer, gl trying to use it with a touch mouse)

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Windows 10 completely ignores the "no auto restart with logged on users" group policy setting/registry setting. the only thing you can do is set it to manual check for updates only. if you have it set to prompt to install, prompt to reset, it will display a big "updates are ready" banner every hour or so covering the whole screen, and the only button loads windows update; there's no "i know let me get back to work goddamnit" button. either way as soon as updates are installed its rebooting, the best you can do is use group policy to make it let you schedule a time or delay by a certain amount.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqxLmLUT-qc

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Encrypted posted:

According to both the latest and the previous versions of the support document, the upgrade and its scheduled implementation is approved when the user either clicks the "OK" button or the "X" in the upper right corner of the notification.
"If you click on OK or on the red 'X', you're all set for the upgrade and there is nothing further to do," the document stated. The "X" Microsoft mentioned is one way to close a window in Windows.

this is making me unreasonably angry

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

max4me posted:

I noticed that but I took some time to click the NO DE-SCHEDULE THIS poo poo BUTTON. I am gonna have to check the office computer and make sure it dont so that non sense.

I still dont get what does MS gain my backing win 10 free and pushing everyone to upgrade.

there are still people running XP in tyool 2016

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Fame Douglas posted:

Don't think this was ever about performance, but about students getting free Windows Server, but not desktop OS, licenses through Dreamspark.

no it was definitely a thing in the win9x/me days when nt and 2000 were the only stable windows, and for a while after XP because people are idiots

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

anthonypants posted:

i'm still using 8.1 at home, i got it when i picked up an ssd and before 10 was out, and it is incredibly bad. i thought i would stick with it instead of giving up right away and going back to 7, and then by the time i realized that was the wrong decision it was too late. i thought about going to 10 during the beta but it looks worse and i think i made the right decision. i'll probably move to 10 sometime after the anniversary update but i want to see how that goes first or if it's as bad as the threshold 1->threshold 2 update was. i'm not thrilled about windows 10 but it will be nice to have a start menu again

whatever it's faults 10 is better than 8

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

duTrieux. posted:

~phone rings~

"hello, it's me, your landlord! i am going to redo the kitchen. the contractors are scheduled for this weekend but if you want to reschedule it you can—"

~hangs up the phone~

~one week later, as contractors tear up the kitchen~

~gets mad that actively ignoring a thing didn't make it go away~

maybe your landlord shouldn't be automatically scheduling remodels without permission?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

duTrieux. posted:

huh, didn't know that ms confirmed an actual auto-upgrade.

point two is irrelevant because the window isn't asking for permission to update so when you close it it works as intended. (it's a sneaky move but can we at least be autisticaly accurate in our funny computer forum?!?

also, twitter, lol

you're no tori

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPv8PPl7ANU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

duTrieux. posted:

maybe we can strin glive electrical wires along city sidewalks and give these people antennas to reach up and rub against the wires like with trolley cars

actually that would solve a lot of problems pretty quickly

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
my roommate is talking about getting a surface book, what do I do?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
she said the battery life on the xps isn't good enough and she doesn't like the cost or weird screen-keyboard gap on the surface book... so she's going to get a yoga instead

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
back in Nam you could get a good kerning for 3 american dollars

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Cardboard Box A posted:

Why does microsoft's RDP app not respect windows DPI settings and why is it also unable to scale up at all? 3840 is not really usable on a 15" laptop and setting it lower just creates giant black letter and pillar boxes.

you should be able to set the DPI inside the rdp session. and if your on windows 10 version of rdp you can set a custom resolution for the rdp session then enlarge it. it looks like poo poo but it works.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Cardboard Box A posted:

Nope, even Windows 10's RDP app won't enlarge past 100% size.
eh?

or did you mean the DPI setting? idk I think it depends if the remote computer supports it, I can do it on our TS but not remoting into my work computer

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Cardboard Box A posted:

Zoom is there but greyed out because Microsoft

uncheck smart sizing

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
skinny pasty yos-nerd: uhm just upgrade to windows 10, who cares if it breaks your business critical software it probably wasn't worth running anyway *pushes glasses up nose, is rejected by women*

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Smythe posted:

these gripes don't deal with enterprise or volume licensing or whatever, thats the domain of IT guys, which YOSPOsters are not. ppl QQing about Win10 are home users with autism.

if ur an IT guy and youre getting owned by windows 10, youve not done the group policy or licensing or whatever correctly and suck as an IT guy. gently caress off.

look at those goalposts goooooo

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Smythe posted:

hm how about this Just Uprade. It's severely good. Idiot autistic change-phobic losers quivering about Windows 10 while eating nothing but freasking Chicken Tenders.,.. God drat!!!

doesnt say anything about home users

Smythe posted:

If your business critical software relies on some Windows 7 eccentricity, then you should have provisioned for that in your group policy. Isn't that your job? Windows 10 is far and away the best consumer OS, and likely the best enterprise OS depending on your LOB assuming your bespoke tools work on it - but sometimes that takes time, and I understand that. Doesn't mean it's not the best freaking OS there is. Comprende? Does little sperg baby need more clarification?

not my job, win10 is mediocre as an upgrade to 7 and only good in light of the shitshow that was 8, and your still trying to make a different argument than you made at first, comprende?

cue smythe probing me for disagreement like a common graph

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

A Yolo Wizard posted:

business users in a properly set up domain

oh my sweet summer child

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Smythe posted:

its cool how your brain problems preclude you from understanding intent aka "reading between the lines" so you contrive some inane pedantic interpretation to suit your needs. windows 10 is way sick.

here's the "argument" ive been making since the first: Windows 10 loving owns. If you're having a problem with it at home, it's because your autistic and only eat chicken fingers. If you're having the problem at work, it's because you're not in a properly configured network. pretty cut and dry. Which one are you? Mentally ill at home, or incompetent at work?

sorry I couldn't read your mind or parse out your actual meaning from the random characters you generated by flailing in the direction of the keyboard I guess

a 2 user business isn't going to buy volume licensing or an ad server or maybe even a cj to come in on the reg. you can scream about how stupid they are as much as you want but it doesn't change the fact ppl have been screwed by auto upgrades

win 10 has nothing to recommend it over 7 and is only good in light of the poo poo show that was 8. MS is trying to force everyone to update to cargo cult the success of 7/attempt to prevent win 7 becoming the next xp. all they've actually done is piss people off and teach a new generation of olds that you can't trust windows update.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
:stare: drat smythe that meltdown...

unless your now it for all the other lovely mom and pop stores on the planet your story is irrelevant. ppl should have a janitor for they poo poo but they don't. doing an os upgrade overnight for someone who specifically didn't want it is not a good idea. win 10 is just ok. win 7 is supported thru 2020. calm down no one is mad that you're wrong friend 😃

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

anthonypants posted:

unlike onenote, to-do requires an office 365 subscription

quote:

ZDNet clarified with Microsoft that the app is not just for Office 365 users, as the original blog post about the launch seemed to imply. Instead, anyone with a Microsoft account can use To-Do, even if they don’t have an Office 365 plan, the company confirmed.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
just use google keep op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Stymie posted:

apple is absolutely in the market, that's what the ipad maxi and ipad maxi mini is for

lol @ apple stealing product names from kotex

• Locked thread