Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol @ a literal school janitor having a superiority complex over anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i dont know poo poo about gpo anymore so i guess i can ask here

my dad called and asked if theres a way for him to increase the res on his remote desktop connection. his work issued him some lenovo posbook with a 13" 1920x1080 screen, so i had him increase the dpi settings on windows 8. problem is that he has to rdp into a server (running server 2008) to do some work poo poo, but he cant see anything because it wont let him increase the dpi/decrease the resolution full screen over rdp or something. halp

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

gj ms

thanks shaggar i'll email him that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phoenixan posted:

gotta love those, 'dad, you're hosed' situations

hes getting old too so his eyes arent so great anymore :smith:

as a workaround i just set the dpi to normal and bumped the res down to like 1366x768 but obviously everything is all blurry because of the scaling. i emailed him about the hotfix so i guess i'm gonna get a bunch of confused calls from him again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

univbee posted:

1. That is an amazingly criterionesque poster

2. Macs do work very well if (and only if) the person working on it is either an island (doesn't work with other people, at least as far as his computer poo poo is concerned beyond basic email) or is working with others who are themselves strictly using macs, and they don't need some sort of managed central file server with constantly-evolving permissions and poo poo

- The second you start having to have people do financial poo poo a mac is out of the question.
- The second you have people either needing to send/receive Word/Excel files to other people, or do complex work involving those applications, a mac is out of the question.
- The second these people need to plug into a website your incompetent government put together that will only work with IE (and there are a fuckton of these if you need weird government poo poo like access to landscaping/seismic databases and poo poo like that) a mac is out of the question.
- You'd better hope they never suddenly need a Windows-only application.

You MIGHT be able to get some sort of basic file server working but it will be an absolute nightmare to manage and far more reliable on a Windows server.

word and excel are on os x and use the same file format as windows. you can use IE 6 under wine and it runs as well as it does on windows (read: not very well). wine/mono will work in a pinch for windows apps, and wine doesn't require X11 anymore so windows apps behave like cocoa ones

e: also for file serving 10.9 and up use SMB as the default protocol so idk what you're talking about

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 8, 2014

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

univbee posted:

so does openoffice but there's a very good reason you don't see it championed for office use

ok, now how about if the site requires all kinds of exotic plugins/java and poo poo like that? the sites work on newer versions of ie, but require a fuckton of plugins and poo poo like adobe reader (and only adobe reader) because they in-line pdf's on top of frames and crazy poo poo like that

you're an idiot for equating openoffice and an office suite developed by microsoft

you can use plugins and poo poo in wine and ie 7 and 8 work. its basically a fake windows installation so anything that runs on windows should theoretically work (there are tons of compatibility issues but most major apps like adobe/microsoft poo poo work fine unless its something that requires wpf)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theadder posted:

whats the status of the lifeboats op

non-technical women and children only

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duTrieux. posted:

for real though this isn't a change in anything other than the messaging. "mobile" equates to "devices" because the former depends entirely on the latter, while "cloud" translates to "services" becaus ewhat the gently caress else do you use a cloud for?

the messaging is stupid. cloud and mobile cant both be first

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

AtomD posted:

buzzwords-first

microsoft should hire jesters
just people who can say whatever the gently caress they want to anyone at the company
the only people who seem to be convinced by their vast lovely pr efforts are the people at the top of ms

cloun first. clounmobile first.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"It's off the hook," he said.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
14% marketshare is off the chain fuckin sicknasty gnarly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

New SKUs already hitting the ground!*

*available this holiday season

remember when MS said there were only going to be 2 SKUs for windows 8

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ads on the start menu is the first step in the xboneificaion of the pc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mercurius posted:

preview and quick look (spacebar on the file in finder) can also open office files if you just want to view them

quicklook has problems with formatting most times. its really only good for a quick look

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cremnob posted:

lmao. IE will spoof safari in the latest windows phone update

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-81-update-1-internet-explorer

wow thats horribly written. paul is losing it

quote:

IE 11 in Windows Phone 8.1 is on the left, and IE (whatever) in Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 is on the right. That rightmost display matches what you'd see today if you browsed to tiwtter.com with your iPhone or Android handset.

So what did they changed? First and foremost, they accepted reality: Modern mobile web pages were designed and built for iOS (Safari) and Android (Chrome), and not to the open standards IE adheres to. To respond to this, Microsoft is making the following changes to IE in Update 1:

i guess nobody is really going to read it though, apparently not even paul himself

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duTrieux. posted:

from the comments:

iphone uses don't use apps. you heard if here first

well i use a few for watching videos in bed and poo poo but mostly i use it for phone/sms/imessage and taking pictures

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

I bet they have some kind of enterprise-wide brand rules for what constitutes a point release versus an update

they just replaced "service pack" with "update"

the other updates do not count as updates.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pram posted:

Thank you for the great ideas fellows, I will forward them to the appropriate departments

pram... i'm going to ask you a serious question here

are you roz ho

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
im currently working on a project with a guy that totes around a surface rt and a 9 lb 18" asus laptop (he had to buy a special backpack for it)

hes also the only person i know irl that has a xbone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

univbee posted:

does he carry that in his custom backpack too?

no mere backpack could hold the awesome power brick of the xbone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

the real surprise here is that china has labor laws

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fleshweasel posted:

I sometimes think about how Apple is incapable of designing a good mouse and then I remember microsofts ridiculous avant-garde mouse designs.

for real logitech is the only good mouse manufacturer and their os x drivers are the biggest pile of poo poo since the microsoft surface landfill

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duTrieux. posted:

i bought an xbox one controller to use with my pc and i ended up getting a "day one" limited edition for, like 30$ cheaper than something nib

the day one edition poo poo is probably one of the more hilarious things ms has done lately

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Console-Day-Edition/dp/B00CMQTVK0/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
1.0 out of 5 stars Good luck if you want to ever play a game with someone SITTING IN THE SAME ROOM. This is BULLSH*T, August 7, 2014
By itsme72002 - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox One Console - Day One Edition (Video Game)
I'm starting to ABSOLUTELY HATE everything about how this system has evolved. It seems so many of the best games supposedly let you play with other gamers across the globe (after forcing you to sign up for a ridiculous amount of extra accounts that then try to charge you - OH WAIT I NEED AN XBOX GOLD ACCOUNT, AND THEN AN EA ORIGIN ACCOUNT, AND WHAT ELSE !!!!!!!!), but I can't play or it's impossible to figure out how to play a game with a person sitting in the SAME F*&&^%^&&&&ING ROOM RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. This is typical BULLSH*T Microsoft.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

AtomD posted:

tbh if i was gonna buy a console id probably buy the xbone just because it would be exciting to see how bad a decision it would turn out to be over the course of 5 years

not even joking im really that dumb

xbox collect dust

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pram posted:

this is really pathetic lmao

seriously goddamn

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

homo punching bag posted:

fixed for the rules

:ughh: he meant "@". its a computer forum

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pseudorandom name posted:

microsoft realized that physical media was on the way out

yeah, the cheapest 360 came with a whopping 256 mb of storage in 2005

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they called the first NT, NT 3.1.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

incidentally i'm pretty sure that was to try and one-up IBM OS/2 2.1

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

raruler posted:

they renamed it to Microsoft PixelSense, and this image should sum things up

lol of course sarnsung manufactures one

looking forward to that being the new galaxy tab s42069 and people defending it with "its not that big!!!! i totally wanted one this big all along anyway!!!!"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
parallels is also hilariously unstable. get vmware fusion for a dadputer

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fleshweasel posted:

i literally did that so my dad could play the version of minesweeper he's familiar with and it's working great
edit: parallels.

also i missed this but why not just set up wine for him instead? seems easier to have him double click an icon and have it launch immediately and run natively

i mean wine sucks for lots of poo poo but at least it can run minesweeper

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it even comes with its own clone that runs on windows 2.0 lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

LastInLine posted:

ironically enough the new toshiba chromebook 2 has an atom an ips screen and 4gb of ram in the 13" model i think its $320

can you put an actual os on it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

LastInLine posted:

chromeos owns if you need more than chromeos does then you buy a macbook air

chrome is a really bad browser and therefore a really bad os

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Metrication posted:

Microsoft has already moved towards just using Windows in marketing videos instead of Windows 8.

im sure that has nothing to do with the windows 8 brand being incredibly toxic

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

was whatever this was taken down because all it says is

quote:

Hi. There are some great Xbox One offers available at the moment. Please check with retailers for more information.
in ms' lovely frutiger ripoff

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i read in the xbone thread that it was some super passive aggressive swipe at bungie lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sniep posted:

im a mac + unix guy shut up im not saying windows is better but you gotta note the pattern

also not gaming the system. 98 SE really was good compared to 98s bad. windows 3.1 was not good compared ot the bad that was windows 3 entirely.

and windows 2000 doesnt count. no NT kernels / business releases - the entire comparison is home user windows and NT kernel only becomes involved when it's in a consumer release, XP

excuse me mac os x is unix

• Locked thread