Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

exquisite tea posted:

Souls games have too many things that try to kill you. It annoys me. Someone should make a Souls game where maybe only sixteen things try to kill you in an otherwise desolate and beautiful world.

Demon's Souls does indeed fuckin' rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Len posted:

I recently got a Retropie up and running, any good psx horror games worth checking out?

Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, and Silent Hill I've played

It's in Japanese, but it is absolutely 100% worth using a faq or something and checking out Kowloon's Gate or at least bumbling around a bit to see if you make it to the first dungeon. Here's the first part of a longplay if you just want to see the atmosphere it goes for, I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TXGIWlJcnc

Basically you walk around from screen to screen sort of like Myst but in a cyberpunk dystopian Hong Kong and talk to NPCs/do some light item usage stuff. Then you go into real time 3D first person dungeons where you run around busting demons that are all based on obscure stuff like the magic insects that inhabit differenet parts of the brain in some old Buddhist mythology. It owns.

Another oddball one, is Koudelka. I have a soft spot for it for the relatively unique setting/characters for an RE type game. If you've heard of the Shadow Hearts series, Koudelka is the first part of it but Sacnoth switched publishers and changed up how the next game worked enough (plus Koudelka herself isn't a major character in it) that they went with the different title.

Anyway unlike the Shadow Hearts games, Koudelka is like Resident Evil 1 but but you play as the titular witch in the 1800s but with JRPG-like combat instead of just shooting folks in real time. The combat is extremely slow but I legit like the game overall and it has some real cool poo poo in it at points. Fun to see the cutscenes now too as this was a like a benchmark "how can anything look this good on PSX" kind of game when it first dropped.

Speaking of games that mix up Resident Evil and JRPG, you gotta definitely absolutely check out Parasite Eve 2. The first game is great too though.

Squidtentacle posted:

Seconding Hellnight for sure.

Juggernaut kinda counts as a horror game? It's way more on the trippy, non-traditional end of things and involves a good number of weird puzzles, but it's absolutely worth it.

gently caress yeah.

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Final Exam. It originally went with the Obscure-name, but that didn't work well with focus groups apparently.

Ironic as I never even knew it existed until this post. In givng it a different name they made it the most Obscure game of the series.

Obscure is solid as hell, I'm glad to see it getting recommended here. It is better than the second game overall but the second game is rad too and also has coop which improves it quite a bit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, Hellraiser

Still sad this never got fully created and released can you even imagine this poo poo on the NES from the publishers of Chiller like holy poo poo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

weekly font posted:

I think in two he says “it’s not hands that open the box it’s intent” or something when the doctor has one of his patients solve the box for him.

Yeah I always got the impression that if the person doesn't have some genuinely intentional curiosity they won't really mess with them. In that scene the other cenobites do start to roll out like it's business as usual but Pinhead pretty quickly also comes out and makes it clear that this is just some random kid playing around.

With Kirsty though they're all like, really? You're hanging around investigating and being around while the box opens but totally not interested in what the box unleashes how many times now? Which made sense since technically she DID want to head to the other side and find out wtf was going on with her dad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Can't believe there wasn't a real Hellworld

2020 started 10 months ago.

al-azad posted:

Like all long running series though the Cenobites get flanderized from amoral pleasure demons to malignant villains.

Something interesting in addition to what others mentioned here, they started making Hellraiser 2 almost as soon as Hellraiser 1 dropped and became very successful. Which is why Julia is the big bad in it and has an off screen/falling down a void sort of death - Julia was to be the recurring villain if they made a third one. But by the time it came out Pinhead was already the iconic face of Hellraiser on all the ads and imagery and so on. So "hey, Pinhead is Freddy now" in Hellraiser 3 was a very deliberate decision on the producers' part to cash in on that quickly. And it sort of almost still works but god drat that movie absolutely sucks rear end any time Doug Bradley isn't on screen.

Then the fourth one (with the in space part) was going to be a little more ambitious but the director left pretty early on and it ended up being an Alan Smithee deal since it was pretty far from what I think anyone directing it had wanted to do. There's a bootleg cut of it that's a little closer to what was intended and honestly it's still not great but you can see what they were going for and the potential if it wasn't so heavily meddled with from the start.

All of the ones after that were whatever cheap horror scripts they had lying around getting changed slightly to incorporate Pinhead in them like Hellworld having the computer game imagery be Hellraiser themed and so on. I get them mixed up but one or two of them are decent enough but in general stay far far far away. The last two were meant to be Hellraiser movies from the get go but all of them are super cheap, "we're just doing this because the deadling where we might lose the rights is happening" stuff and that does show in all of them to an extent.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 26, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

That's really the problem with it, yeah. It's basically a gimmick CYOA game trying to pretend it's an RPG, but it just doesn't pull it off very well. It's neat and stylish, but you can get everything out of watching it be played that you could get out of actually playing it yourself.

It's a by design a board game more than anything and for that it works great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Really digging the core concept of "what if you used Breakout as the mechanics for a horror game?" Looks pretty neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTE7HEWgwG4

Never heard of this til your post but Devilish is one of my favorite games ever and I like Paranoiascape a lot too so I am megahyped for this! :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81D8y0tspis

The second controllable paddle in Devilish seems redundant at first, but then after the first level you realize the game scrolls left and right instead or just straight up. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7BLmd8z8

The designs in this are courtesy of Joji "Screaming Mad George" Tani who did the excellent body horror effects in stuff movies like Society, Bride of Re-Animator, etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Him doing The Regulators and Desperation under his pseudonym and real name respectively and using the same character names and antagonist but in extremely different roles was interesting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I unironically adore Harvester and something about its janky rear end animation and overall tone genuinely unsettles me. It's like all the creepypasta inspired games we have now but sincere.

YES! Right down to it going into full "are you loving kidding me with this poo poo come on lol" territory in the third act. I really do love it.

I do wish it was better, it has such a strong first act.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tolth posted:

Has this thread had a Fear & Hunger: Termina phase yet? I couldn't find it going back through recent pages.

Anyway, this game is fantastic. I haven't been affected this hard by anything horror in recent years other than Faith.

I got this awhile ago during a sale or whatever but coincidentally just really played it a few days ago and it really hit me. Just every now and then a game come sout like that that hits thatt "if I was not a dumbass and able to make a video game this is probably the horror game I'd make" level of clicking with me.

Definitely going to check out Fear and Hunger based on this comparison despite the things others have pointed out with it here lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pseudohog posted:

I think you could still use keyboard to move and turn, but looking up and down was a real chore - which wasn't very useful when there were enemies lurking above or below you all the time!

Terminator Future Shock came out a few years later and had something more like proper mouselook, but you didn't have much interaction with your environment beyond "shoot bad guy" if I remember right.

Yeah SS1 was more like Ultima Underworld where at the time it was just a huge deal that you could smoothly walk around in the first person at all. The kind of movement separate from the cursor controls it and System Shock 1 (and ironically Bethesda's Terminator 1 game before either of them but also stuff like Dungeon Master, etc.) had fared a lot better when used to for stuff like SSI's Ravenloft titles. It clicks and works in those games where you're controlling a party of several people and are quickly want to switch between plodding around and then using the cursor to manage multiple characters' weapons/combat stuff and solving puzzles.

It's true about Future Shock, god that game owned. Would say horror game fans should try it out even today honestly. You can see the impressive atmosphere and visual storytelling Bethesda would get praised for with their more modern games start there. Worth playing around with despite how dated it can seem. Nice array of weapons too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah when it first came out it was a mobile game and then later ported to the Wii, and in that context I really dug it but I'd probably just watch a longplay now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It gets even worse in Resident Evil 0 because you can put items down wherever you want and there's an item that seems useless after a certain point and takes up TWO slots so of course you drop it relatively early on. Have fun running back for that later lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Simiain posted:

I'll highly recommend Hob's Barrow, but I'm also very partial to its setting. Victorian folk-horror aside, the characters are intriguing and the puzzles are consistently logical throughout.

I'm beginning to think about Halloween and the slate of horror games I set aside to play every October. Last year I beat Prey, Scorn, Soma, Signalis, and a whole bunch of the Five Nights games this year I'm not sure....I suspect I'll replay Scorn because that game stuck with me after I finished it and I've been meaning to give it another run, and Mandalore Gaming has me sold on Stasis: Bone Totem (though I'd much rather play on console than on the PC, so I hope it gets a console release before October). I might replay REmake, but ideally I prefer my horror to be heavy on existential gloom and light on combat, similarly I've tried and failed to get all the way through the Evil Within so many times its become a kind of Fall tradition for me, maybe this year I'll manage it.

Otherwise I'm looking at Anatomy and maaaaybe Darkwood.

I'd recommend playing one of the first three Silent Hill games because while there technically is combat in them by volume, if you set it to easy you can wade through that aspect of the game without much though and just enjoy the incredible atmosphere.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Played the first FAITH game tonight. Was a fun like 45minutes. I somehow avoided everything about the games except that they're extremely popular and it is funny to see how this is totally why so many crappy horror games from itch.io use that specific text to speech voice thing lol.

Faith is so loving good. I love how vast part 3 feels compared to the first two and all the hidden bosses and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 22, 2023