Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Brackhar posted:

It's a mixed game. The visual execution ranges from average to poor, but the cartography system is really, really cool and worth playing just to see.

Anyone here play DreadOut? It looks a good bit like Fatal Frame and I heard it actually tried to do the atmospheric horror approach.

It's about an hour or so long and incomplete. A second chapter is coming but really falls flat as there is very little actually happening. I'd hold off until part 2 comes out. Found it boring but the ambient noise is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I don't like Alien Isolation. The atmosphere is great but the teleporting alien is killing the game for me plus it's psychic ability to locate me. I'm also feeling like the game is waaay too long.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

1stGear posted:

The alien neither teleports nor is it psychic. Its just way smarter than the monsters in a lot of other horror games.

It does, I've sat there and watched it on the monitor. You can watch and see its travel speeds and that remains consistent. However there are many times it just straight teleports. Or my favorite: does not show up at all and pulls you up a vent ignoring three humans two feet away from you. There's obvious design reasons for it but it kills my motivation to play.
Working Joes terrify me more than the Alien when I don't have Flame Thrower ammo.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Crashbee posted:

I don't understand how a game can be too long. If you're getting bored, just... stop playing it.

Good news! I did! Back to Gamefly this disappointing game goes.
This could have been an amazing game, instead it was lack luster in regards to my taste. I'd love to see this team work on a game like System Shock though, the atmospheric tension was great. But after 10 chapters I could not stand the glitch in alien mechanics. Thankfully there's videos all over YouTube that showcase the same issues I had.

So, despite what people insist there ARE problems with the Alien mechanics.

Looking forward to SOMA though.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Chev posted:

Haven't followed that too closely but isn't what people thought was teleporting actually there being several aliens without the game telling you until later?

Yeah but that doesn't occur mechanically until after the plot introduces the concept.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Vedius Pollio posted:

Soma, or "Haoma" in Avestan, was also the sacred stimulant drug that the gods of the Hindu Rigveda and Zoroastrian Yasnas would drink when at war.

But seriously, does anyone know when Soma is coming out on PS4? I thought it was a PS4 exclusive, but the only listing I've seen for it actually coming out is on Steam.

Site says the 22, no preloading it looks like.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
She gets cut out of nowhere for messing with Sebastion. They are still in the system or the big bad got out.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
The Void is loving phenomenal. Sadly not everyone clicks with it well. I've had multiple attempts fail at getting friends in to it. It always ends with "Yeah, this is definately a game you'd like Kortel."

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Len posted:

What was the final verdict on The Evil Within? I know it wasn't great but $10 good? The rental store next door is trying to get rid of their copies and I'm tempted to grab it

For 10 bucks it's worth it.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I want a horror game where the twist near the end is the character you are playing isn't the one that was suppose to be "punished. " It's played completely straight, like a normal horror game. Have the protagonist just be really confused the whole game, making comments like they have been volunteering at soup kitchens and animal shelters. Have the antagonists pretty much ignore them until the "twist moment" then realize it's the wrong person.
But, you know, they put so much effort in so we'll just continue where we left off.

Kortel fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
TCP has tons of end of chapter transitions that feel like they cut entire levels of content but didn't adjust the character interaction to account for it. The last two hours are really sudden jumps of story and levels. It really could have used another year of development time to add enemy variety and polish. Major let down but not a bad game. Just not a good game.