Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hellburger99 posted:

If I might get counter-spergy:

I agree with you, but you know if they made an alien game with a female protagonist that a sizable portion of the fans would bitch that it wasn't Ripley's daughter. As long as they do something half-way original and interesting with the story, I'm willing to put up with the the goofy desire to make it "cannon."

On topic: I've had Lone Survivor sitting in my backlog for at least two years and I think I'm finally going to play it. Anything I need to know before going in?

Just play it then look a guide to get the true ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hakkesshu posted:

I'd definitely classify Demon's Souls as a survival horror game as much it is an RPG. Dark Souls not as much, but there's still great levels of tension there, and it has a pretty thick atmosphere based around death and decay.

Bloodborne looks to be much more of a horror game than either one, though.

Victorian Era horror too, which we don't have enough of! There's stuff that looks like werewolves and a lot of the environment designs just screams London.

Also catacombs.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd love to see something like the fight with The End from MGS3 in Silent Hills but with a monster/ghost/whatever stalking you through an area.

Since Kojima loves naming schemes, I bet he could use the tarots.

The above could be a boss battle called The Lovers and you get stalked by a girl like Lisa but you have to kill her boyfriend, who has her spirit link or something.

I'm just thinking off The House of the Dead here.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Can someone run down what all the new additions to five nights 2 are? I don't think I have the patience to run through the entire game to discover it all but the mechanics are interesting to me.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So quick question, how do the checkpoints in the evil within work? Just finished the third chapter and there doesn't seem to be many save points.

When the game saves a checkpoint, am I able to turn off the console and restart from that same spot when I load it up next? I'm just trying to determine if it can be played like that or I need to find specific save spots like alien: isolation.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Medical is considered to be the area where it's just chained so closely to you that it shuts down an area like you described. Just power through that area and it gets much better.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

To expand on this, there is an entire area in King's Field 2 that is optional but exists to make people who played king's field 1 go "holy poo poo" as far as plot twists go, and King's Field 3 does something similar but to not as much of a degree since by KF3 they assume the player already knows part of the twist.

I assume you mean the american verision of KF1,2,3 (with 3 being the ancient city)

I need to play through the series one day.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dead space 3 is cool if just for the ship graveyard part. Hell it even had side quests and legimately spooky parts.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I watched it on some guys YouTube and isn't it vastly different just for the idea that you need to hide often and you can't just run like you do with the others?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Slender the arrival is on PSN. It's not that long.

Then evil within dlc is... Decent? Play it on hard so you become very afraid of dying.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

How about an interesting sidetrack topic? What are any worthwhile horror stuff available on Android? I think I can get a dead space game and I dunno what else.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think if it's surreal enough to be chilling, it can also be considered horror.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Cosmotology of Kyoto is like the only videogame Robert Ebert himself enjoyed.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The thing that seems to be is that the bad silent Hill games are just mostly mediocre, so they're very forgettable.

Which is a big disappointment when the series is famous for being crap your pants scary and has memorable monsters like pyramid head.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

al-azad posted:

Yeah, the worst thing a game can be is average. I remember games like Extermination and The Thing more than the weakest Silent Hill or Resident Evil because they have nothing memorable going for them.

Exactly, people will remember bad movies like Zardoz and The Room because they have stuff that people will remember. Bad games are just the same way. If you're mediocre, then you're still probably bad because you won't remember much a month later. But if you're so bad and people talk about it years later, then you're so bad it's good.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I was just following up on what ineffiable said. I probably should have quoted him.

The point was it has to be so bad and bizarre that it's funny. If the no face glitch was very common in the AC games people would play them ironically to see every cutscene acted by skeletons with some organs.

You said it yourself. Assassin's Creed is just mediocre. It has to be badder than that to be remembered.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Apparently the five nights at Freddy's rpg game is out. No idea if it hides something yet.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I really need to finish alien. I made it to the hive but I keep getting killed in there. Is the best strategy just use the flamethrower liberally, and don't sprint through?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

If you can survive the walking dead and until dawn you can survive this easily. It's a really good game and most of that dark stuff is in chp 5.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Might be worth cross posting here. Capcom confirmed we are getting ps4 and Xbox one copies of resident evil 4,5 and 6.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I really need to finish Soma. I finished doing a part where you simulate a world for data or something. Then got to a corridor area. Not sure what to do when I pick it back up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

frank.club posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!! Ps4?!

PS3 only.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel like a good The Thing game would be more like a Telltale game but with semi-random elements. The Thing isn't really about blasting aliens, and if you want that, Dead Space already exists.

I feel like dead space 3 was a better the thing game than the actual the thing game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think Soma would have been just fine with less obvious game enemies. It did a good job with the explody head monster in.... I can't remember, Omega? You know it's there, and it's only actively dangerous for the last few minutes but you don't know that. The abyss itself is perfect. The enemies in tau after are just annoying.

Soma does a good job with atmosphere though, I hope they can refine that for another sci-fi horror game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Deep fear is seriously probably the best resident evil clone and I have to say maybe one of the top ten games you should play on the Saturn.

I live streamed playing the entire game for an irc chat of goons during a summer I was unemployed. Great stuff.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

For a second I thought you were talking about Cold Fear and I was amazed anyone else remembered that game.

I have a copy of that game too! Kind of like an re4 clone.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I checked out some YouTube vids and you've sold me on it, but I've got a question: eBay only seems to have listings for the Japanese version of the game, does that version have an English language option? If not, should I be trying to hunt down a US version of Deep Fear I guess?Also will my Saturn play it natively, or does it require the use of an Action Replay or whatever?

Yeah there's no USA edition so your options are the action replay thing.

Japanese edition is mostly in English and has English spoken dialog? I think you'd manage pretty well.

Also rumor is the evil within 2 is in works. I'm kind of excited for that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bethesda conference is over and they didn't show any evil within 2 stuff but there was a girl cosplayed as the keeper they showed off. So maybe it's for another conference?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I really want to play Asemblance but lack of subtitles means I'm gonna try to wait for a patch.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

I really want to play Asemblance but being on the PS4 means I'm not going to pay $300 to play it.

Is it not on pc? I mean a quick Google says it's on steam too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Are those steam counts usually accurate for multiplayer? That's hilariously awful, it hasn't even been a month.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Literally never had Netflix before. Just signed up for the show and first episode was not disappointing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Dead Space was underwhelming as gently caress especially when someone told me it was 'more like system shock than bioshock was'

They weren't wrong.

But good news is we'll have a system shock remake soon and that'll be the best game ending in the word shock.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

One thing is for sure, I don't regret playing Soma and it's a really really great story honestly.

Maybe next game, there could be more actual puzzles to monsters? Like using emitters and they'll stay in a certain area. Or using some kind of flare that repeals the monster but only works once on each type.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah they did that event very well in Soma. It's worth pushing yourself through the game for. Soma is a very creative and atmospheric game and I have to say it's a horror game that must be played. Kholat, layers of fear, slender, I'd be okay if those games were wiped from existence. But you'll never take Soma away from me. I just only hope they do a physical edition so I can buy it again and also buy copies for people.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Speaking of underwater horror, what are peoples thoughts on Narcosis?

Is it even out yet? It looks neat but still up for preorder. Hope it comes to PSVR since that's the only VR set I'll have.

Basically Soma and Dark Souls are the only games where I ever wish I could wipe my memory of every playing them, and then continue to play them again complete new for the first time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

After Soma and alien isolation,its hard to be excited for routine.

And we're getting a proper system shock 1 reboot. I mean I love the design of routine but when it was first announced, nothing was similar to it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

I'd love to go dog, but I don't have the other endings yet, I'll do the other one. I didn't have trouble with the other two.

Edit; I've done the first dead space and it was freaking awesome. The new game plus however was dumb. It removed any danger from the bad guys.

I do also have soma and had forgotten about it. How long is soma?

Soma is... 8 to 12 hours.

Make time for it. It's an awesome game with fantastic story.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

They're porting the amnesia games to the ps4.

I already played them on pc but I don't have a gaming machine now so it'll be nice to have it on my ps4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Swapper is really good and don't be afraid to look up a guide for some of those final puzzles. It's worth it to experience the story.