Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I liked Outlast and everything, but it tried very, very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Well gently caress me. I bought Outlast Whistleblower during PSN's Halloween sale and completely forgot I only have the base game on Steam.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Whenever you see someone say that it was unrealistic that the main character in SOMA was so slow to grasp the core concept of copy and paste, remember this conversation.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Started Evil Within 2 tonight. Wasn't sure about the first person setting, but I gave it a try and can't go back to RE4 camera.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

al-azad posted:

Yes, only Rebirth has the random qte’s but there’s still touch integration in the basic mode. There are some QoL improvements like a knife button, lock on aiming, quick turn, and mini-map but the downside is, well, it’s only on DS and still uses the edited intro for whatever loving reason!
Those were the reasons he said it was the best way to play RE1. I'd still rather just play the remake though.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Did Dark Messiah do that too? That game ruled

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

They look like monster dongs to you?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I would be, as well. Can VR folks play with non-VR?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I can play tonight. I was just getting set up in VR and running through the tutorial when a delivery person knocked on my apartment door. Scared the poo poo out of me.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I can play some Phasmophobia any time after 8 CST tonight. What's the best way to coordinate something? It's been a while since I've played with goons.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

My steam id is blcannad

I'll be on tonight. And also other nights. What with the pandemic and all.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I played Phasophobia with some randos tonight. No one in the first game had a mic, so they got to listen to me sing to ghosts. I also didn't realize they could see my movements in VR, so they also got to see me dance and point everything I thought was ghost-related. Then I got booted from four groups for being level 1. Then I found a chill group for a few games. Super fun and spooky stuff!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Phasmophobia in VR is fun once you find a decent group. Still a little janky, though. I was playing with a kid who stayed in the van while I went into the house with a video camera. In the middle of being attacked by a ghost, the game bugged out. It made me drop the video camera and teleported me back into the van. Scared the absolute poo poo out of the guy I appeared next to.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Is there a recent (last three years) single player, immersive horror game I can jump into? I picked up world of horror and its great but I'm hoping to find something more pretty to creep myself out with for spooktober.
I was about to say Alien Isolation but holy poo poo that came out over half a decade ago. Resident Evil 7? Evil Within 2 horror works pretty well when you turn on first person. Some people get spooked by Prey. It's immersive, but not exactly horror.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are large maps more fun on higher difficulties? We just unlocked the Asylum on amateur and it kind of sucked. It was just 90% us walking around with basically nothing happening at all and then we finally found the single room we got any activity in and that was it. The highschool seems like the perfect size so far.
Haha, I just tried Asylum with one other person, and it was awful. We never even found activity before we bailed.

I convinced a friend to play with me tonight. We had talked about horror games in the past, so I thought this would be right up his alley. After about two minutes into each game, he would head back into van and refuse to come into the house. Turns out the horror games we've talked about are Resident Evil 4 and the first level of Silent Hill that he got too scared to get through. He's not into horror games at all and hated Phasmophobia. Whoops.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Last night I was playing with a goon and his friend and I hosed with them by turning the breaker on and off without telling them. :v:
Haha, I had no idea you were doing that. My friend is still pissed we left him to die in the first (or maybe second) game.

I've been in groups with lvl 35 players who should know what they're doing and sometimes we've had trouble getting the last piece of evidence to ID the ghost. But yeah, I think the extra objectives are where the challenge is supposed to be.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

The one thing I'd strongly recommend is if you're playing with a group of people you know, anybody who has the means to do so should do a gameplay capture. One of my friends recorded a couple of rounds for his YT channel and it was fun as hell going back to watch ourselves getting killed, or seeing just how much activity you might miss in any given game just because you happened to be in a different room for 30 seconds.
This was a great call. I've been experimenting with recording some sessions tonight. I'm thinking of making a compilation of us getting killed at some point.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GoodBrightVultureFutureMan

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I always forget that your character model straight up doesn't load into Phasmophobia at all. We did a group picture last night, and the picture on the wall in the lobby had a space where I should have been. Maybe I was the ghost the whole time...

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

My Steam friend code is 42493163 if you want to play Phasmophobia. I haven't had the worst time with pubbies. Rounds won't start until you press "Ready," so you can spend a few seconds in the lobby deciding if you want to bail or not.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I got so salty in Phasmophobia tonight. During a hunt, I ducked into a room across the building from the spawn point and closed the door behind me. The ghost still ended up getting me, which I didn't think was posible. My teammates checked on my body and another hunt started. The ghost tracked them down, beelined at someone, then....knocked over a soda can.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PopularNiceWombatSSSsss

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Control was a great game when it was being a SCP game and a pretty blah game when it was being itself tbh

Are Dynamite and the Ashtray Maze SCP or itself? Because those were great.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Soma, the game Narcosis is 75% off on Steam right now, making it $3.75.

It’s a fun “walking simulator”-ish game with VR support set around an undersea disaster, the voice acting is great, and under $4 is a great price for it.

the ending “twist” is really well executed and a hell of a gut-punch, too.

I just finished it in VR. Pro tip: if you're playing on the Quest via Virtual Desktop, turn off hand tracking or you'll be shooting flares at random.

It was a solid experience. A little light on being spooky, but it had a solid story and environments. I kind of wish it was more of a straight up walking simulator that made it hard to miss picking up collectables. I missed a handful of them, and the gameplay isn't fun enough for me to go back and get them.

Watching the survivor leave you behind did give me Soma flashbacks. I kind of wish the game made you sit there until you ran out of oxygen to show how lovely a death that would be.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Like several others, I recently got an Oculus Quest 2, so I wanted to ask what the best VR horror games are.

I will pick up Narcosis since it's cheap. Don't wanna deal with Phasmophobia before it's out of EA.

Someone said there was a VR mod for Alien Isolation? Has anyone tried that?

For what it's worth, I have a feeling that Phasmophobia is going to be one of those games that's going to be in EA forever.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I thought RE7 VR was PS4 exclusive?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Eox posted:

Dead players can now pick up and throw non-gear objects, but they're invisible while you're holding them :(. I wanted to accompany my team as a haunted coffee mug

I had a game bug out last week, and a dead player followed us as a haunted book.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ZealousPeppyPeppermintPanicVis

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Reminder that there is as very good first person perspective option in Evil Within 2's settings.

I beat Amnesia: Rebirth last night. It was ok. It was a little light on the scares, the puzzles were all very simple, and I think I accidentally got a weird ending. I thought I would be able to make a run for the Paris portal after injecting the red tumor juice into the ghost lady, but I just died instead. To be fair, the game said I "probably wouldn't survive" if I took the ghost lady out, but I figured they were just being dramatic.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

One of my fondest RE memories was the last time I played REmake, and an early Crimson Head appeared behind some kind of block push puzzle in a room I would run through a lot. He was trapped behind a block the entire game and was just always there for me when I needed a friend.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

What I want to know is WHERE IS MY PC DEMO.
Have they announced it for PC at all?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Phasmophobia in VR is scary and fun. It becomes less scary when you find out that a ghost can't kill you when you're literally lying on the ground. Then it becomes fun again when you lead the ghost to kill your teammates if they're annoying.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I haven't played in a few weeks. I might be very surprised next time I play

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I play with pubbies a lot, and sometimes you get lucky and find a really good group. I played with one group for about three hours straight the other night. One of the other players was new and terrified of everything, and it was amazing. But you usually have to spend a lot of time jumping into random rooms and quickly trying to figure out if the people in them are worth playing with. I feel like playing in VR helps with that, because terrible people usually start screaming something like, "YO HE'S IN VR LET COME CLAP MY rear end CHEEKS," as soon as your spawn in.

edit: The only time I've played with a friend recently was pretty great. He doesn't handle horror games well at all. For example, certain areas of Dark Souls were too scary for him. I thought he did pretty well for the most part, even though he was kind of high and kept forgetting pubbies didn't know my real name. He would say things to randos like, "Remember last name when Mike found the ghost in the attic?" and the pubbie would say, "I wasn't in your last game, and I don't know who Mike is..." He texted me the next morning saying Phasmophobia had given him nightmares all night. So overall a success.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 23, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Definitely wouldn't consider Control a horror game, or even an amazing game. But I have a huge soft spot for it. It's so much fun after you open up certain movements, and the live action videos get very good.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Anyone played Mundaun yet? The trailer didn't grab me, but I've heard good things.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

They're updating Isaac's name to reference more hip sci fi authors. Meet L. Ron Dick.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I've been playing a lot of Phasmo lately too. I really like all the new hunt mechanics. I feel like I'm actually struggling to survive some of the time instead of just cheesing the ghost AI. The DOTS are pretty cool to see in action, but their buzzing sound makes it really annoying to be in the room for long while they're on. All the new ghost sounds and lighting tweaks are great.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Yep. Hunts only interfere with your gear if you're close enough to the ghost. So you could be in the building and have no idea there's a hunt going on until it's too late. I feel like once the ghost is close, the flashlight flickers so much that it's close to useless, too. And now ghosts will zero in on you if you have any electronics turned on (flashlight, emf, any cameras except a head cam, etc). If you're hiding, remember to turn everything off. You can check if there's a hunt going on by using your radio and seeing if there's only static.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Lifeglug posted:

New Phasmophobia update is out now:

https://game-updates.info/phasmophobia?119

Adds a bunch of stuff, new ghosts, new map, halloween stuff in the waiting room, and in maps, but brings some interesting additions.

Had a bit of a play around, found some easter eggs in the new map, also the new weather can really gently caress you up in the new map if you get fog. Also they've limited hiding spots on harder difficulty by putting in objects, boxes, furniture, etc, in the way, of hiding spots, or locking lockers at higher difficulties.

Good fun, looking forward to playing it with my usual group this week.

Fingerprints only lasting a minute is a cool idea. Looking forward to dying in nightmare difficulty after I heckle someone getting killed, but the ghost is still hunting. I really like the idea of fewer hiding spaces. It's way more fun scramble around and loop the ghost while you're trying to get to a safe spot than just walking to the next room and staying quiet for a minute. I'm looking forward to playing this tonight and dying a lot.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I think between the optional objectives and pictures, there's enough to do per round. Anything more risks getting out of the 15-30 minute sweet spot per game. If the game expected you to stick around longer, they would have to rework how fast your sanity drops. I hate when I have games where the ghost is constantly hunting, and you can't do anything but hide.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I thought the early RE7 demo was super scary for some reason. Maybe because I didn’t know what to expect

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm playing Cyberpunk right now for the first time, and so far it's really good. I do keep forgetting what my guy looks like until he gets on a motorcycle and I remember he's wearing a skirt and neon windbreaker jacket. I wish my fashion was more visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm hoping the Medium is a bad game, because it keeps crashing every five minutes and I think I'm done. I have a pretty beefy PC, too.